Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by johnny77
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

No sound back box speakers. Johnny mnemonic. Sound distored and low from cab speaker.

#2 4 years ago

First thing to check is the wiring. Is everything connected securely?

What is your troubleshooting skill level? Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

First thing to check is the wiring. Is everything connected securely?
What is your troubleshooting skill level? Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it?

Everything has good connection. I do have meter. And skill are good. No backbox sound but cab has sound but very low and distorted.

#4 4 years ago

I would check the voltages at J3 & J4 on the sound board. (page 3-26 in the manual)
Be sure and reseat and inspect all the connectors. Pins can tarnish and build up resistance. If the voltages and connectors check out I'd probably try another speaker with the correct impedance just to make sure the speakers are not the problem before I started troubleshooting the sound circuitry. Unfortunately the manual from IPDB doesn't show the sound board schematic (if it does, I overlooked it.)

Also, you might consider asking the moderators to move this to Tech: Modern to get the most eyeballs on it. PinballManiac40 might have some ideas.

#5 4 years ago

You can swap the speaker output connectors (if they aren't keyed).

You can also try swapping the board from this machine into a compatible machine. Try the board in Road Show or No Fear and see what happens. It's often safer to swap a problem board into a working machine than a working board into a problem machine.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I would check the voltages at J3 & J4 on the sound board. (page 3-26 in the manual)
Be sure and reseat and inspect all the connectors. Pins can tarnish and build up resistance. If the voltages and connectors check out I'd probably try another speaker with the correct impedance just to make sure the speakers are not the problem before I started troubleshooting the sound circuitry. Unfortunately the manual from IPDB doesn't show the sound board schematic (if it does, I overlooked it.)
Also, you might consider asking the moderators to move this to Tech: Modern to get the most eyeballs on it. pinballmaniac40 might have some ideas.

No volts on j4. J3 has 4.3v dc

2 months later
#8 4 years ago

So its been a while bout this sound issue. I was told about Bit Rot cause couple of chips are missing sticker and windows are exposed. Could this be a issue for not having no sound. Thanks

#9 4 years ago

Doubt it because the chip needs to be subjected to Ultraviolet light, and that will not happen in the game. They can get corrupt over time. Only way to know is to put them on a programmer and do a sumcheck and compare that to what it should be.

1 month later
#10 4 years ago

Hello all. I ordered a repair kit for my johnny memonic pinball cause its had sound issue. No sound from backbox and very little sound from cab. I replaced the 10000uf caps and the 2 amps. When i power it on get a loud humming sound like a electric dead short. I disconnect the ac volts feeding and it dont do it. So im not sure where to look maybe transformer? Thanks.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from johnny77:

Hello all. I ordered a repair kit for my johnny memonic pinball cause its had sound issue. No sound from backbox and very little sound from cab. I replaced the 10000uf caps and the 2 amps. When i power it on get a loud humming sound like a electric dead short. I disconnect the ac volts feeding and it dont do it. So im not sure where to look maybe transformer? Thanks.

Sounds like you damaged the feedthroughs whre the 10000uf caps fit into. These feedthroughs connect the solder pad of the top side to the solder pad on the bottom side of the board.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Sounds like you damaged the feedthroughs whre the 10000uf caps fit into. These feedthroughs connect the solder pad of the top side to the solder pad on the bottom side of the board.

I fixed that no more loud hum. I replaced amps and the 2 10000uf caps and u21 chip and same issue as i started with. Very low garppled sound. Idk anymore.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.00
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sound-issue-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.