(Topic ID: 132300)

"Sound Board Cksum Error" on White Water

By Allibaster

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I just picked up a White Water. So far, it's been a bit of a struggle with issues. Most recently, I'm having audio issues. The sound will randomly get broken up, make strange sound effects, or will just go away completely during gameplay. Test report on boot shows a "Sound Board Cksum Error" upon boot. Any ideas on what this is about or what causes it?

I did find an older RGP thread where someone alluded that it was caused by their home version ROM on another title (I forget what one). My game does have the home ROM. Anyone else see this?

#3 8 years ago

Well, I reseated the LH6 and sound ROMs as well as all the ribbon cables between. They seemed okay. I'll report whether or not this did anything after a couple weeks of play.

#4 8 years ago

Sound is still messed up. Sucks. I guess I can try buying another ROM.

I feel like I've just been throwing money at this thing.

3 months later
#5 8 years ago

Most of the time this is wiring or ribbon cable connections, not ROMS, unless there was some type of static discharge if you were not grounded, and one got damaged.
You are problem going to waste money, so let me explain.

The most common sound chksum error problem is the ribbon cable connection that goes from the CPU to the sound board.
I just brought my White Water "online" after it had been in storage for 10 years, and this same problem occurred and it has occurred in other games in my past, if in extended storage.
DMD had similiar problems with vertical lines due to other ribbon cables.
Bottom line is you may need to physical pull the connectors OFF and reseat them, not just push them in.
Oxidation to connectors over time causes loss of electrical connection.
If this STILL does not work, get a new set of ribbon cables and prepare to do electrical test connections, BEFORE Eprom replacement.

#6 8 years ago

Could equally well be an EEPROM. Wouldn't the sound board give an error tone as well?

#7 8 years ago

New sound ROM seems to have fixed it.

#8 8 years ago

Good sound, no more checksum error?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

New sound ROM seems to have fixed it.

Keep in mind oxidation can occur on the legs of the Eproms as well for the future.
It is possible to clean/retest and not replace them, but of course, your solution is simpler.
Smoky environments KILL boards early too, because tar like residue can actually build up on boards and Eprom legs, reducing their electrical connectivity.
It sticks to them like magnets.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Good sound, no more checksum error?

Sure did. I must have put at least 50 games on it since the replacement. No checksum errors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sound-board-cksum-error-on-white-water and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.