Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 399 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

227a00812146e698f1bf0bfd95ecfc4706af4b69 (resized).jpeg
    Website-Header (resized).jpg
    CeESJVeXIAAsplI (resized).jpg
    Conspiracy-theorist-wearing-tinfoil-hat-stares-at-his-computer-Shutterstock-800x430 (resized).png
    u0n9rzS.jpg
    IMG_0579 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0384 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0430 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9116 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9115 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9118 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9114 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9112 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9111 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9110 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9109 (resized).PNG

There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
    #351 6 years ago

Would love to play pinball with his grandmother $1 a game, but probably need to save up a bit, have a feeling she would probably bankrupt me.

#352 6 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Anyone but me find it strange that a successful day is taking 3 games apart and moving 2 upstairs - and he had an Escalera? I can do that before breakfast.

As I run out of room I've been taking it a bit slower than these last few games are the heavy two player or four player variety. Getting them up the stairs now is the easy part now but taking them apart gets pretty draining especially with my very physical method, some people seem to use a hydraulic(?) cart to push up the back of the machines to get the legs off and then drop it down with that but mine is heaving it onto a stool, then setting the back on the ground by hand when the back legs and the head are off. Also have to pull the game out of the tight spaces they are in, sometimes put the rolling feet under them, label the legs, ziploc the bolts, etc., etc..

#353 6 years ago

Be careful and take care of yourself. Can see how the stairs went from the toughest obstacle to trying to move around all the games and find a place to store them becoming the leader. Hope your grandmother is ok as well.

#354 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

As I run out of room I've been taking it a bit slower than these last few games are the heavy two player or four player variety. Getting them up the stairs now is the easy part now but taking them apart gets pretty draining especially with my very physical method, some people seem to use a hydraulic(?) cart to push up the back of the machines to get the legs off and then drop it down with that but mine is heaving it onto a stool, then setting the back on the ground by hand when the back legs and the head are off. Also have to pull the game out of the tight spaces they are in, sometimes put the rolling feet under them, label the legs, ziploc the bolts, etc., etc..

Getting on or off the floor once the back legs are off is the worst part for me. At least you're not dealing with a STTNG or TZ, those are nightmares!

#355 6 years ago
    Quoted from GWalton:

Getting on or off the floor once the back legs are off is the worst part for me. At least you're not dealing with a STTNG or TZ, those are nightmares!

Just did my TZ with me and bar stool. That thing is literally the worst when it comes to machine weight.

#356 6 years ago
    Quoted from GWalton:

I've always used a plastic horse from Lowe's under the back of the cab (only about $24 for two and each can hold up to 700 lbs). Great as opposed to a stool, or even some hardcore / old school guys that simply prop it up on their knee. I've actually given several of those horses to Pinsiders when they've picked up games or I went to grab one from them...and then just replaced it later.

#357 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I've always used a plastic horse from Lowe's under the back of the cab (only about $24 for two and each can hold up to 700 lbs). Great as opposed to a stool, or even some hardcore / old school guys that simply prop it up on their knee. I've actually given several of those horses to Pinsiders when they've picked up games or I went to grab one from them...and then just replaced it later.

Thats my method also!

#358 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

That part I can usually handle with my lower leg. What about getting it from the on the stool/sawhorse level to the on the floor level. With those widebodys especially, I run the risk of throwing my back out and pinching the ends of my fingers off. Any tricks for that? Of course 2 people would be the ideal answer, but I don't trust my wife not to drop her side and any friends I do have scatter when I need a favor. Lol

#359 6 years ago
    Quoted from GWalton:

That part I can usually handle with my lower leg. What about getting it from the on the stool/sawhorse level to the on the floor level. With those widebodys especially, I run the risk of throwing my back out and pinching the ends of my fingers off. Any tricks for that? Of course 2 people would be the ideal answer, but I don't trust my wife not to drop her side and any friends I do have scatter when I need a favor. Lol

I don't know how you guys do it without a harbor freight lift. Now I just need an Escalara and I'll be able to do everything but pull a PF completely out by myself. Yeah calling friends for pinball help is a losing battle, but they always show up when it's time to play lol

#360 6 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Yeah calling friends for pinball help is a losing battle, but they always show up when it's time to play lol

Yeah, my friends are a buncha dicks, they show up when they need something though. Wish I had some friends in the same hobby.

#361 6 years ago
    Quoted from GWalton:

What about getting it from the on the stool/sawhorse level to the on the floor level. With those widebodys especially, I run the risk of throwing my back out and pinching the ends of my fingers off. Any tricks for that?

Nah, for that the old-fashioned college try of just picking it up. Usually from one knee, and I've done my BF a few times, which is a monstrously heavy game. If you have two people, using the horse is ideal though for disassembly, and even being able to lift it down once the legs are on. I can usually hold the game up with one hand while I slide the horse out.

Quoted from tacshose:

Now I just need an Escalara and I'll be able to do everything but pull a PF completely out by myself.

Otaku has one for sale on eBay.

#362 6 years ago
    Quoted from GWalton:

Yeah, my friends are a buncha dicks, they show up when they need something though.

With friends like that, who needs enemas...

#363 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Dick.

Otaku came by and dropped off the Escalera. Both he and the equipment survived. He played all my games (8 are set up) and pissed me off by hitting the Targaryen shot repeatedly on GOT LE, which I can never seem to do consistently.

He's a good dude and an asset to the hobby. I just wish I had asked him what the hell Otaku means.

#364 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

what the hell Otaku means

Wasn't that one of those cities we dropped the a-bomb on?

#365 6 years ago

Ha Ha at o-din

#366 6 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

what the hell Otaku means

Its Japanese geek/nerd/social introvert, oftentimes derogatory, as nerd/geek/etc are here as I understand.

I only know this because I also resemble that remark and watch a lot of Japanese movies.

#367 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

To late, he had a buy it now.

#368 6 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

Its Japanese geek/nerd/social introvert, oftentimes derogatory, as nerd/geek/etc are here as I understand.
    I only know this because I also resemble that remark and watch a lot of Japanese movies.

Then I, too, am Otaku.

#369 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I get to teach the youth of today how not to kill them selves when working on high voltage electricity. It is very rewarding to see the light bulb go on in someone's head.

If the lights go on in their head, doesn't that mean you didn't teach them right?

#370 6 years ago

When you have 16,000 volts in you hand induction will light the bulb. Make a mistake and the bulb goes out permanently. I've lit cigarettes of the arc when you put two wires together and on a 500,000 volt job you can light a fluorescent tube light from a foot away. I usually like to think of them as being in a cacoon and with teaching they become beautiful butterflies. And yes I am older and a dad so maybe a little preachy, but I mean well.

#371 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

And then i took a pinball machine to the knee...

#372 6 years ago
    Quoted from GWalton:

HF cart all the way. Makes moving games and getting up and down a cinch.. even by yourself. I only wish it went up down stairs. A buddy actually moves his games around outside with one.. all up and down his walkways to his car.. then just slides in/out.

#373 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

HF cart all the way. Makes moving games and getting up and down a cinch.. even by yourself. I only wish it went up down stairs. A buddy actually moves his games around outside with one.. all up and down his walkways to his car.. then just slides in/out.

I wonder if that would work with WoZ or even worse The Hobbit. Hell of a workout for 2 to move it up or down stairs. I about killed myself getting that from pallet to game room

#374 6 years ago

Oh and I forgot to post this...

#375 6 years ago

Without the negativity, although it may sound cheesy, the last few pages of this thread have reminded me why I do like Pinside and why I'm on here. A couple of good laughs (mostly at the expense of Boob's Escalera), good ol friendly ball busting, and just some generalized pinball talk going in any direction. So nice to get a break from reading dramatic B.S.

#376 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Without the negativity, although it may sound cheesy, the last few pages of this thread have reminded me why I do like Pinside and why I'm on here. A couple of good laughs (mostly at the expense of Boob's Escalera), good ol friendly ball busting, and just some generalized pinball talk going in any direction. So nice to get a break from reading dramatic B.S.

A lot of that BS is on the main forum. IMHO us old dudes are crotchety but normally don't have flame wars on the EM threads. (Normally is subjective)

#377 6 years ago

I had a catastrophic flood a few decades ago and lost years and years of taxidermied birds. I have sympathy for you and know what it feels like to be at the mercy of nature. That said, my collection is now bigger than ever! I came back stronger after the loss. Best of luck!

#378 6 years ago
    Quoted from D_Graunch:

I had a catastrophic flood a few decades ago and lost years and years of taxidermied birds. I have sympathy for you and know what it feels like to be at the mercy of nature. That said, my collection is now bigger than ever! I came back stronger after the loss. Best of luck!

Looks like Bill Kurtz!

#379 6 years ago
    Quoted from D_Graunch:

Strange connection since Otaku said basement used to be full of birds! Not funny to laugh at, but kind of funny in the sense of an odd coincidence.

#380 6 years ago

IMG_0579 (resized).JPGIMG_0579 (resized).JPG

#381 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Well that's sweet of you.
    Hey, I am all for the guy asking for help with manpower and moving pins. But to come here and ask for money when you are sitting on 30 pins? Give me a break. You are the one that posted earlier that he should sell pins to get money right? I agree that is what he should do, or find a different way to EARN the money not just come here and ask for a handout.

He could just have a fake 30 pin collection to look cool or act like big shot. Priorities are wrong! Can afford 30 pins, keeps them at grandma's home? Yet needs money??

#382 6 years ago

Wow, Is FF on pinside?

#383 6 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

u0n9rzS.jpgu0n9rzS.jpg

#384 6 years ago

Thanks guys. Heading back out to NJ today and going to get the remaining heads left sitting around downstairs upstairs hopefully, and eventually the remaining games if I can make some room. Then it's basement fixin' time! (well, estimate time)

Quoted from Jefski2003:

He could just have a fake 30 pin collection to look cool or act like big shot.

Conspiracy!

Conspiracy-theorist-wearing-tinfoil-hat-stares-at-his-computer-Shutterstock-800x430 (resized).pngConspiracy-theorist-wearing-tinfoil-hat-stares-at-his-computer-Shutterstock-800x430 (resized).png

#385 6 years ago

Good to hear. Hope all goes well for you and you get this fixed. Seriously though how is your grandmother during all this. What a saint to have her home over run by games,and does she play?

#386 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Good to hear. Hope all goes well for you and you get this fixed. Seriously though how is your grandmother during all this. What a saint to have her home over run by games,and does she play?

You've asked about that 3 times now! She lives with my aunt most of the time due to her age. She doesn't know, don't worry. (Mom does though obviously)

#387 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

You've asked about that 3 times now! She lives with my aunt most of the time due to her age. She doesn't know, don't worry. (Mom does though obviously)

Let me know if you want me to swing over.

#388 6 years ago

My schedule is a little tight over the next few days heading into Easter, but I might be able to find some time to make the trek up there and help if you really do need it. You have my number, or just grab it from jkashani

#389 6 years ago

Ok sorry to have missed that. I won't bother to post on your thread anymore. I feel it is not welcomed and that is fine.

#390 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

My schedule is a little tight over the next few days heading into Easter, but I might be able to find some time to make the trek up there and help if you really do need it. You have my number, or just grab it from jkashani

Quoted from the96stang:

Let me know if you want me to swing over.

I'll be in NJ all week I believe for Easter and whatnot. Perhaps we can set something up. If you guys want to make a day out of it perhaps we can swing by my friend David's Morristown Game Vault as a token of my thanks and also just to hang out for a bit, quite the sight to see and only like 20 minutes away.

Ghostbusters, Metallica LE, etc. all on free play and there is never lines on any of the games besides maybe one person playing it. Great pricing at $7 for 30 minutes and $10 for an hour (and +$5 for each half hour after that), but with me/this time don't worry about that so to speak and we can stay as long as you guys can hang around.

My third home. 90-something arcade machines (there is an entire row all the way to the left of the second picture and also games in the bank vault) and I think about 16-17 pinball machines now or so. Four more pinball machines not in the main lineup.

Pictures are old and also don't do the size of the place justice, it is in an old bank so it is HUGE. Ceiling is like three stories high.

Website-Header (resized).jpgWebsite-Header (resized).jpg
    CeESJVeXIAAsplI (resized).jpgCeESJVeXIAAsplI (resized).jpg

(I like to spread the word for my friend's awesome accomplishment so whoever else is interested check it out at morristowngamevault.com, it still "underground" in terms of Pinsiders but the town of Morristown is LOVING it.)

#391 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Ok sorry to have missed that. I won't bother to post on your thread anymore. I feel it is not welcomed and that is fine.

No no, it was fine I meant it jokingly. Just found it funny. Thanks for the concern!

#392 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

it still "underground" in terms of Pinsiders

Not anymore now that you posted the town and web address.

#393 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Not anymore now that you posted the town and web address.

Oops. I do it more as "how do more people not know about this place I could spend my LIFE here" to show people this awesomeness way more than just helping out my friend.

#394 6 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Ghostbusters, Metallica LE, etc. all on free play and there is never lines on any of the games besides maybe one person playing it. Great pricing at $7 for 30 minutes and $10 for an hour (and +$5 for each half hour after that)

Great pricing for the owner.. I can play MetLE for 30 min on one credit kidding though.. I understand the need for such costs. 'Coin drop' pricing doesn't sustain the business anymore unless you're selling drinks along with the games. Sounds like a cool spot to hang.

#395 6 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

I thought it was a Pokemon character, but what do I know about that sh!t.

#396 6 years ago

Small update since I have the time (and I owe you guys who donated to at least keep updating!): going to be getting quotes this week. Taking things slow right now. Thankfully no heavy rain to come very soon and no more water coming in right now. So, I relaxed. Enjoyed my Easter holiday. Great weather! Also took a step back on my own regard to not only take a rest but think and change life a bit and get myself back on track to living life happily and how I really want to (not just pinball/Pinside related) and realized that while I wish to obviously continue in this wonderful hobby and continue my collection and other pinball dreams (along with many of the great friends I have met here), I realized spending time here on the forum was no longer fun for me personally, and thankfully that (obviously) coincided with not much interest either so I didn't have to push myself to stay away and it came naturally instead which made for a very nice unintentional unplanned break of just not caring to log on. After finally picking up on that and thinking more: At the end of the day I let the hobby be too much about random other people and not enough about being humbly happy with it myself.

The best lesson that came partly due to and after all of these people screaming "listen to me" on this thread and telling you what life lessons you need to learn was that you shouldn't listen to anybody! (within reason obviously) *Do you* and have fun with your hobby, or what the hell is the point. As does everybody else, I know myself better than anybody (especially those who don't even 'know me' at all, except this time meaning nothing deeper than that we've simply never even met hence the quotes) and trouble only began and more mistakes were made only once I started to cave to people who were trying to tell me I didn't. This thread was just tip of the iceberg and it went on for a lot longer around here and I am happy to be back to my previous peachy self and feeling better and happier and more like "me" again in my daily life than I have in several months.

I am looking forward to taking a huge step back from here, and enjoying the hobby the way I want to with myself and family and friends, including the many I have already met through here. (and as always, still looking forward to making more NEW great pinball friends through the hobby (even Pinsiders) - but likely more often at "tomorrow's show", "tomorrow's meetup", or "tomorrow's game deal", rather than "tomorrow's thread". Much more personal and great, too.)

However, I will keep everybody updated, here on this thread, on the progress of the reconstruction of my basement gameroom, because it is the least I would do for all of the generous support. If I'm this content again already I can't wait to how happy I'll be once I have my own gameroom to visit again! I wasn't even going to post *this* because I didn't really mind to but I figured it would be nice for the genuinely interested people who have supported me with this basement issue as well as publicly putting a nice comfortable cap on all of this thread and more.

Thanks again for all of the outpouring support and sorry that I could not respond to everybody! robin runs a fantastic website (and being a frequent CSS designer myself, it's beautiful...) with a lot of great people on it who have been very generous and good to me, and I will continue to try and pass on the genorosity and kindness many here have shown me. I try to do that regardless every day but I'll make a big effort to truly pay it forward when the opportunity arises. So, thanks! See you at Pinfest as well, whoever is going! Will come back and update again once the basement work begins.

Steven

#397 6 years ago

Good luck Steven. Many people, including myself, have felt that way from time to time. Much better to meet up with people at Pinball parties and conventions. Amazing how different people are face to face. Hope to see you at Allentown. (I'll be the big guy in a Hawaiian shirt)!

1 week later
    #398 6 years ago

Hey guys, just an update. Together we have raised $660.00 in donations to help fund my basement repairs. My family has decided with this amount plus my own contributions (and their own of course) that they will get the repairs done by a professional, we will be contacting the company spfxted posted as well as another my dad knows personally and compare quotes.

I feel very blessed, this month alone an abnormal amount of repairs were needed by my older clients and new clients I seeked out combined with a willingness to accept all of them and work very very long days, I really stepped up working hard at my own business and fixed as much as I can and ended up bringing in over $1,200 and counting this month from things I taught myself over the last few years, like complicated PCB repair for arcade machine monitors and also doing more pinball work across EM to SS this month alone. The donations and help were very necessary due to the severity and suddenness of the situation and I couldn't of got the games out of there without the help of Boob's Escalera either, and all of the support both through words and donations really motivated me just to increase the amount so I could contribute to the cause just as much as other people have been so generous.

I have removed my PayPal account e-mail from the original post and want to thank you all very much, no longer accepting donations. With Pinfest coming up I want there to be no confusion, all of the donations are stored away in a separate account. With even more repairs beginning to be underway and my own money already being contributed to the cause as well in a similar amount to the donations received, I decided to give myself a little spending budget of money I earned later in the month and continue to earn as Pinfest approaches - but obviously this includes $0.000 of any donation money, so just making sure there is no confusion.

I think the idea of keeping some of it as a "rainy day fund", or perhaps an "oh shit fund", is really great life advice and something I will be taking to heart.

Please keep the thread open as I would love to post some progress pictures when the work begins. I have also been trying to do as many good deeds this month as I can from giving people rides, to tweaking games, to fixing games usually outside of my travel distance, to whatever else. I will be making a donation to Pinside and the idea of contributing to my local food bank with my newfound earnings for this month has also came to mind to help give back where it counts as well not only just to repay my debts but also just help people, I love to do that.

Thank you so much,
    Steven

227a00812146e698f1bf0bfd95ecfc4706af4b69 (resized).jpeg227a00812146e698f1bf0bfd95ecfc4706af4b69 (resized).jpeg

#399 6 years ago

Hope to meet you at Pinfest if you are there on Saturday

There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sos-in-nj-help-needed-after-flood/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.