Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 399 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

227a00812146e698f1bf0bfd95ecfc4706af4b69 (resized).jpeg
    Website-Header (resized).jpg
    CeESJVeXIAAsplI (resized).jpg
    Conspiracy-theorist-wearing-tinfoil-hat-stares-at-his-computer-Shutterstock-800x430 (resized).png
    u0n9rzS.jpg
    IMG_0579 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0384 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0430 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9116 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9115 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9118 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9114 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9112 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9111 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9110 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9109 (resized).PNG
    There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
    #301 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well then, I could use him at my house. I don't have an Escalera anymore.

Sorry. I'm team Taxman

#302 7 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

Sorry. I'm team taxman

LMAO!

#303 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well then, I could use him at my house. I don't have an Escalera anymore.

I told you I'll drop it back off to you.

#304 7 years ago

Otaku hasn't been heard from for over 6 hours. I fear an Escalera mishap.

#305 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

It should have sold quicker on Craigslist than that.

LTG : )

#306 7 years ago

If I was him, I wouldn't ever post on here again. All the guy did was ask for some help, some said they would but yet NO ONE showed up. Others did worse with their pathetic and disgusting comments.

I feel bad for him and for humanity as a whole!!

Quoted from beelzeboob:

#307 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

One of these days I will have to stop up there especially to get my pinball fix now.

And we can double the dosage. You can stay in the house, or in the cabin down at
    the pond. Telephone, cable, mic, fridge. Like a studio in the wilderness.. (T)
    P.S. I'll add a toaster.

IMG_0430 (resized).JPGIMG_0430 (resized).JPG

IMG_0384 (resized).JPGIMG_0384 (resized).JPG

#308 7 years ago

I hope someone showed or shows up today as Otaku's intentions are good. We all perceive reality differently and his perception of reality is probably a bit different to many of us. It has to be with 29 pinballs at the tender age of 18!

I know it has annoyed many that he isn't selling any games. I suspect it is emotionally very hard for him to do this.

Going to finish by saying, ' just give the kid a break'

#309 7 years ago

I had an opinion on all this, but then I thought back to what I was like at 18.

Let's just say, I'm glad none of it was discussed on an online forum by people who really didn't know me.

We all do stuff we either regret or wish we'd handled somewhat differently.

And as someone who has had a basement flood, I know how stressful it can be.

Good luck to the OP. I hope everything works out now...and in the future for you.

#310 7 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

or wish we'd handled somewhat differently.

Think back to anyone's first big catastrophe. How did that go ? Did you do everything perfect trying to fix what ever happened ?

LTG : )

#311 7 years ago

Community???? Shame on those that are so close and didn't help. You know I thought it was wrong to have the PayPal thing up. But now I'm glad he did so at least he received something. Hope a lot of people spent a whole fu@$ing 2 minutes entering their credit card info. This kid needed help rescuing his games from harm and yes the money will help, but it doesn't move games up stairs. I feel giving a persons time and helping is more than hey here's a buck. At 18 and having some false sense of family on an online forum and know one shows up would have crushed me. That's the age I was on my own and life sucked to the point of putting a gun in my mouth after 2 pulls of the trigger I changed my mind and now I am glad I did. Steven HANG IN THERE life gets better. Thanks to Boob at least he had the tools to get this done even though some help would have made it better. Some may be making a list of people they feel are a-holes, well I'm making my list too. You know who are that can't drive 65 miles to help this kid. I hope he got enough money to fix the basement and fix the boards on those games. Who at York would sell this kid some bad boards?

#313 7 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Community???? Shame on those that are so close and didn't help. You know I thought it was wrong to have the PayPal thing up. But now I'm glad he did so at least he received something. Hope a lot of people spent a whole fu@$ing 2 minutes entering their credit card info. This kid needed help rescuing his games from harm and yes the money will help, but it doesn't move games up stairs. I feel giving a persons time and helping is more than hey here's a buck. At 18 and having some false sense of family on an online forum and know one shows up would have crushed me. That's the age I was on my own and life sucked to the point of putting a gun in my mouth after 2 pulls of the trigger I changed my mind and now I am glad I did. Steven HANG IN THERE life gets better. Thanks to Boob at least he had the tools to get this done even though some help would have made it better. Some may be making a list of people they feel are a-holes, well I'm making my list too. You know who are that can't drive 65 miles to help this kid. I hope he got enough money to fix the basement and fix the boards on those games. Who at York would sell this kid some bad boards?

Yeah, thats rough. Ive been negative about this from the start ( on the asking for cash side )but if no one showed up, that's total bullshit.

#314 7 years ago

Hey Steven, on the upside it's NHL playoff time. Get that basement and games fixed up then relax and have a Budweiser then forget about it.

#315 7 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Thanks to Boob at least he had the tools to get this done even though some help would have made it better.

Unfortunately, this happened during one of the busiest weekends I've had in a while. I have to drive up to NY State now. Wish I could have done more, but I have a ton to do before next weekend when my wife owns me for Easter.

Seems like the Escalera is a huge help to him, though. He would have never been able to move those machines alone otherwise.

#316 7 years ago

Whoa - he has issues with his innerds ! Dumping Bud in his body might put him in the hospital.

Crackers, oatmeal and such probably better along with a non toxic drink. But yeah - he could stand to relax a bit. Have grandma take a shift moving games.

Escalara was a great idea and generous loaner. Thumbs up.

#317 7 years ago

And to Boob hats off to you man for lending out a very expensive piece of equipment. Wish I knew about Pinside back in the day. I was in NJ for a month putting your cities power back on and sleeping in a work truck for a lot it for Sandy. Would like to meet you some day. I did meet a lot of nice people there, but everyone is nice when you are restoring electricity to there neighborhoods.

#318 7 years ago

Glad things are looking up here...despite the no shows. I didn't donate, because I don't agree with the idea, but it's cool to see people step up who do agree.

You mentioned you'll still be attending Allentown this year despite the damper that has been put on things here (pun intended). Maybe we'll run into each other there.

#319 7 years ago

Steven,
    Sorry I didn't notice this post until now or I would've offered some help this weekend.
    Anyway, I didn't really have the time to read every reply, but I get a little water is my basement occasionally and here are some things you can do depending on how deep the water gets . . .
    - Buy yourself a pack of heavy Solo disposable cups. Put each leg inside a cup on the floor. This will help up to 3 inches or so and keep your levelers from rusting.
    - Get yourself something to sit unassembled machines on. I install fencing, so I cut up aluminum posts to short lengths to raise things off the floor. Don't use wood, it'll just wick the water up to the machines. If you need some aluminum props, let me know. You can come over and we'll make some for you.
    - Get a dehumidifier ( it looks like you did ) and keep it running.
    Just a few suggestions until you can find a more permanant solution.
    Good luck,
    G

#320 7 years ago

Disposable Cup idea is simple genius for the bottom of the legs ! Protection / Leg leveler condoms.

#321 7 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

Disposable Cup idea is simple genius for the bottom of the legs ! Protection / Leg leveler condoms.

That's what I was thinking.... No need to raise the games! Awesome idea.

#322 7 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

This forum is just a drag to even come to anymore because of some of the people here. I figured this being a pinball forum that 99.9% of the people on here would be good people but I was bad wrong.

I agree with you, but prefer to look at the positives in the forum. Look at the individuals stepping up with advice, words of encouragement and a small donation to help a fellow member out. That's the community and what the forum is all about.

Good luck through these tough moments OP. We've all had to go through similar bumps in the road. It's how you persevere and bounce back from the setbacks that makes this all worth while.

#323 7 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

I agree with you, but prefer to look at the positives in the forum. Look at the individuals stepping up with advice, words of encouragement and a small donation to help a fellow member out. That's the community and what the forum is all about.
    Good luck through these tough moments OP. We've all had to go through similar bumps in the road. It's how you preserve and bounce back from the setbacks that makes this all worth while.

Yes you are correc for sure. There are definitely more good people here than bad but the bad ones really make it bad. There is still a ton of cool people though and a lot of good information here. Just gotta try to ignore the douche bags I guess.

#324 7 years ago

I gave my opinion, which was negative, but still sent him $40 as an apology.

#325 7 years ago

That's sucks dude but hang in there it well get better. Good to see that were getting some young blood in the hobby. Sucks some on here all ways got to go negative. Anyway if your going to pinfest hope to see yah there.

#326 7 years ago
    Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

That's sucks dude but hang in there it well get better. Good to see that were getting some young blood in the hobby. Sucks some on here all ways got to go negative. Anyway if your going to pinfest hope to see yah there.

Especially some young blood that works on EM's! He may be the only guy left in the world that knows how to work on them 20-30 years from now!

#327 7 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Especially some young blood that works on EM's! He may be the only guy left in the world that knows how to work on them 20-30 years from now!

INDEED i agree

#328 7 years ago

I was surprised by his love for EM's at his age but that is awesome I think, and to be only 18 years old he has one hell of a nice collection . Even if he were to stop collecting right now he would still have a nicer collection of games that most people could ever hope for. Pretty impressive if you ask me!

#329 7 years ago

Thanks everybody. Not feeling too great today so finally just got out of bed but wanted to update so nobody else thinks I fell down the stairs. Going to text my friend in about an hour if I perk up a bit as he only had free time tonight so we'll see how that goes.

Yes, the Escalera has done wonders for me. I think I got 6 games upstairs by myself yesterday. The heads, which are usually folded down on games starting in the mid-80's, have to be fully removed on these older games as seperate pieces which were a little shorter than the Escalera strap so I'm going to wait for my friend to show up to use the old fashioned bandtruck to get them up so I have somebody to support them from the bottom.

#330 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Thanks everybody. Not feeling too great today so finally just got out of bed but wanted to update so nobody else thinks I fell down the stairs. Going to text my friend in about an hour if I perk up a bit as he only had free time tonight so we'll see how that goes.
    Yes, the Escalera has done wonders for me. I think I got 6 games upstairs by myself yesterday. The heads, which are usually folded down on games starting in the mid-80's, have to be fully removed on these older games as seperate pieces which were a little shorter than the Escalera strap so I'm going to wait for my friend to show up to use the old fashioned bandtruck to get them up so I have somebody to support them from the bottom.

We thought maybe you fell down the stairs and were buried under a bunch of EM's!!

#331 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Just remember to keep charging it when you're not using it. Worst thing ever is to get caught mid-flight of stairs and have the battery die. Text me when you have an idea of when you can return it...love to have you play some games when you come over. I'd offer a beer, but I don't want to lose my teaching license.

#332 7 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I was surprised by his love for EM's at his age but that is awesome I think, and to be only 18 years old he has one hell of a nice collection . Even if he were to stop collecting right now he would still have a nicer collection of games that most people could ever hope for. Pretty impressive if you ask me!

Thank you for the kind words. I do not have the most expensive or the most perfect collection but it is mine and I love it. (and maybe have the nicest examples of a few titles ) Hopefully one day I can follow through with my dream of a pinball museum so everybody can enjoy them, both the rare titles and the more common titles alike. This is a dream I hope to follow through with while I am still younger and in a moderate amount of time which is what I am most focused on but realize the most important part may just be decades from now when there are no other pinball museums or many collectors left. Scary to think one day I may have to carry on the hobby and that it may be the "last trip around the block" for a lot of these games at that point but I would (already do a little) take a lot of pride in keeping them alive for much longer than a sister game next to them on the factory production line which could have easily been destroyed and thrown away 30 or 40 years ago from today after being operated for a short time, and much longer decades from now.

We see a lot of games today collecting but what we don't see is the thousands of games in the dump that didn't get to experience any of this collector revolution and were thrown away years or decades before all of this even started, most people probably don't think about it and it's just an interesting thought. Here's hoping somehow we don't get a big rift of that again (for different reasons of course) in the future and some more young people take up collecting before the days of $100 EM machines and then the days where you can't even sell them for $100 and they're thrown out. Scary!

#333 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just remember to keep charging it when you're not using it. Worst thing ever is to get caught mid-flight of stairs and have the battery die. Text me when you have an idea of when you can return it...love to have you play some games when you come over. I'd offer a beer, but I don't want to lose my teaching license.

Yep, I've been charging it all night so it should be good to go for today.

#334 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Yep, I've been charging it all night so it should be good to go for today.

You won't be the last. 24 here. 350 games or so have gone through my hands lol. There are a few of us young guys.

#335 7 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

There are a few of us young guys.

No wonder you're team Taxman. I've heard about him.

#336 7 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

You won't be the last. 24 here. 350 games or so have gone through my hands lol. There are a few of us young guys.

Not complaining. Saves me warehouse rent from saving every single game from the dump in 30 years

#337 7 years ago

Glad your up and about. I sent some money last night & thought to add a way to celebrate with member beezleboob totally overlooking your dietary limits and wish to apologize if needs be.

Quoted from Otaku:

Can 2 heads be stacked, strapped together; wrapped from top to bottom & then strapped to the Escalera ?

#338 7 years ago

Otaku, I'm glad your getting there with your game situation...the way I saw this thread, you asked for help moving stuff then also realized you needed a sump pump or something and had no idea how to get it, so very politely reached out to a community you are a part of...I do not see how, when you are scrambling to save things and broke, that was a problem.

And as for other "community" members...advice for future is nice, but hard to read and take in during the event; suggestions on how to help with the current problem, donations to help possibly purchase something needed asap, and offers to help move items is super generous!

Making comments that are pointless, being a total f*****g a*****e just because you love to s***t on people, and clogging up a thread meant to help with useless crap comments to make you feel better about yourself or something.....f******g pathetic!!!

I dont cus on here much, but what a bunch of b******t from a few.

The guy is 18, having a problem, has some limitations, and was asking for help....be nice, help out, or move on! It's not f******g hard! (For most human beings....)

@Robin, sorry for the language! The negative people just really got at me tonight....

#339 7 years ago

I'll be down there with my hand truck all week. I'd love to help you move everything any night.

#340 7 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

I'll be down there with my hand truck all week. I'd love to help you move everything any night.

I highly appreciate the offers. I need to return to PA tomorrow afternoon (after dropping off the Escalera to Boob) for a day or so, not sure which day or time I will be back yet so I'll keep you updated.

I got another 3 games taken apart today, and 2 upstairs (one was a bit of a dirty project so I didn't mind that staying down there for now). Running out of room and also not cramming them in so they don't fall through the floor. The dining room is full and they have started to fill up the living room. With only a few machines to go I'll figure out the space issue. Before I return the Escalera, in the morning I'll probably just house a few on the third (fourth if you count the basement) level for the time being since I'll likely ask to borrow it when it's time for them to go back anyways. I'd easily consider it because I feel like the god of the stairs.

Moved some games towards the now-pretty-empty dry side as well to prepare for my short time away.

#341 7 years ago

I was pretty clear on my suggestions and guidance, but not an asshole as some suggested as a blanket statement. I wish you luck and I will be in Allentown, you borrowed a wrench from me last year. My suggestion would be to hand the tool back to the owner, not setting it under his game. I also know the96Stang very well, this young man is one of the best pinball dudes in the hobby.

#342 7 years ago

Look he just learned he can move a game by himself and became god of the stairs, with the right equipment. His head might explode when he figures out how to handle the rest on his own. Self empowerment is awesome. Still wondering about the emergency aspect when after 4 days there are games still in the basement and he is going back to PA. His life though. Have a safe trip and good luck.

#343 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I had so many people interested in helping out and one guy got caught up in something and let me know but I never heard back from most of the rest during early planning stages. It was silly for me to over-estimate at the beginning expecting not many to fall through. Oh well!
    If you want to stop by tomorrow to help finish up (I think I'll hopefully still get a lot done today) I might have another friend coming over that day. Let me know!

Awe crap ... sorry Steven. I'm guessing I was the "one guy". My personal commit became multiple personal commits and that was the end of my free time to help out. I too though "well, at least he had tons of people coming, I guess he really didn't need me".

Sounds like you've charged ahead. I truly admire your tenacity despite all the challenges and criticisms. I'm away on business now, but if there's more chances to lend a hand I'll certainly do what I can, when I can.

Regards,

Brian

#344 7 years ago

Anyone but me find it strange that a successful day is taking 3 games apart and moving 2 upstairs - and he had an Escalera? I can do that before breakfast.

#345 7 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

Anyone but me find it strange that a successful day is taking 3 games apart and moving 2 upstairs - and he had an Escalera? I can do that before breakfast.

I believe he said earlier that he was running out of space upstairs.

Quoted from Buzz:

Still wondering about the emergency aspect when after 4 days there are games still in the basement and he is going back to PA.

I think the rain subsiding and perhaps the inflow of water stopping gave him a breather...and brought this from defcon 1 back down to defcon 4.

#346 7 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I think the rain subsiding and perhaps the inflow of water stopping gave him a breather...and brought this from defcon 1 back down to defcon 4.

Yep...the SOS has been downgraded.

How many inches/feet of water were in the basement when it was first encountered? If that was covered, I missed it.

#347 7 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

With the health issues he has? Is there any chance we can for once just post something positive for a change?

#348 7 years ago

I'm more worried about his grandmother at this point. Is she displaced after all this? I personally love older people and their stories and advice. I hope she is ok. What a wonderful woman she must be, grandparents are the best, wish I still had mine. Mine would probably have been making me fresh cookies while I was moving games.

#349 7 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I'm more worried about his grandmother at this point. Is she displaced after all this? I personally love older people and their stories and advice.

My guess is she's totally rocking it on Fireball Classic. And if you buy me a drink I'll tell you all my stories from the good old days.

Quoted from Buzz:

Look he just learned he can move a game by himself and became god of the stairs, with the right equipment.

Beelzeboob: Teacher. Enabler. Douchebag.

#350 7 years ago

As said before I would love to meet you some day and love that you had the exact piece of equipment we all need when dealing with stairs. Teaching is awesome. I get to teach the youth of today how not to kill them selves when working on high voltage electricity. It is very rewarding to see the light bulb go on in someone's head. I was glad to see Steven's post about becoming a stair god. That must have been an exciting moment for him. No one came his back was up against the wall and he marched on. That was the intended message of all my posts. I love to see people do well.

There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sos-in-nj-help-needed-after-flood/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.