Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 399 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

227a00812146e698f1bf0bfd95ecfc4706af4b69 (resized).jpeg
    Website-Header (resized).jpg
    CeESJVeXIAAsplI (resized).jpg
    Conspiracy-theorist-wearing-tinfoil-hat-stares-at-his-computer-Shutterstock-800x430 (resized).png
    u0n9rzS.jpg
    IMG_0579 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0384 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0430 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9116 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9115 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9118 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9114 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9112 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9111 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9110 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9109 (resized).PNG
    There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
    #251 7 years ago

Cover or no, the humidity will be coming through the walls far more than up from the pit. Fortunately you can drain your dehumidifier right into the sump pump pit, leave it running and call it good.

#252 7 years ago
    Quoted from emkay:

Cover or no, the humidity will be coming through the walls far more than up from the pit. Fortunately you can drain your dehumidifier right into the sump pump pit, leave it running and call it good.

Yeah, I just meant even during a dry spell. Luckily my dehumidifier does have a hose as previously mentioned by somebody who thought they had the same model. Hopefully it won't create a loop of the dehumidifier taking in the sump pit water and just draining it back out into the sump pit. A cover will likely help out.

#253 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Let's show some support to our youngest EM collector, Pinside. Let's get this guy a sump pump. I'm throwing in 50 bucks to get started!

Who's with me?

It depends, is that money coming from the donations you receive to keep Pinside running?

#255 7 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

This is kinda how I feel about it too, thats why in a previous post that I said sometimes is better to just stfu and take the high road. At least people now know who some of the azzholes on here are though, because there were a few that really exposed themselves. I can understand that some people may feel he shouldn't have put up his pay pal for donation purposes, but the way some of these people jumped on him and just kept bashing his head in really shows how big of ungrateful azzholes that they really are.
    We are all going to go through tough times eventually and need to ask someone for help, it doesnt matter who you are, how rich you are, or whatever. These same people may need help one day from a friend, a fellow pinhead, God, or whoever, and they may end up getting a life lesson themselves. Karma is a MF'R sometimes.

Frankly, I don't think anyone cares what you think of us and your argument makes less sense every time you post. Further, your constant references to foul language make you look like a redneck.

Not that I'm surprised but you still haven't answered my question...

Why do you send someone money when they refuse to help themselves??

#256 7 years ago

This may not be so much about enabling as it is about letting those that want to be generous for whatever the reason do as they please with their money or their time. No one knows what motivates a person on this forum, so why not just let it be.

#257 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Frankly, I don't think anyone cares what you think of us and your argument makes less sense every time you post. Further, your constant references to foul language make you look like a redneck.

Nah not a redneck at all, I'm a pretty nice guy actually until someone gets on my bad side and then that can change fast. As far as the answer to your question goes, I don't owe you or anybody else any explanation on what i do with my money. You are nothing to me and you're not even worth responding to, and besides that you don't know if I gave him money or not and you never will. Its none of your business whatsoever.

#258 7 years ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

This may not be so much about enabling as it is about letting those that want to be generous for the whatever the reason do as they please with their money or their time.

That's a good point - I'm not faulting the generous people who are stepping up to help him. It's great how the community wants to help.

I think it's more about how "God helps those who help themselves." He has the power to help himself by simply selling one or two games to cover the costs, but instead of taking a personal hit, he's asking for handouts.

Recently I sold a bunch of pinball items to fund my purchase of restoration tools. It never once occurred to me to come asking for donations to help cover it. So it's a bit off-putting how casually he does it, and then dismisses the people questioning his method. Disappointing, even.

#259 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

That's a good point - I'm not faulting the generous people who are stepping up to help him. It's great how the community wants to help.
    I think it's more about how "God help those who help themselves." He has the power to help himself by simply selling one or two games to cover the costs, but instead of taking a personal hit, he's asking for handouts.
    Recently I sold a bunch of pinball items to fund my purchase of restoration tools. It never once occurred to me to come asking for donations to help cover it. So it's a bit off-putting how casually he does it, and then dismisses the people questioning his method. Disappointing, even.

Perfect. Thank you.

#260 7 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Nah not a redneck at all, I'm a pretty nice guy actually until someone gets on my bad side and then that can change fast. As far as the answer to your question goes, I don't owe you or anybody else any explanation on what i do with my money. You are nothing to me and you're not even worth responding to, and besides that you don't know if I gave him money or not and you never will. Its none of your business whatsoever.

Lol, its a big secret! Alright.

#261 7 years ago
    #262 7 years ago

Maybe the thread title should read "SOL" ?

#263 7 years ago

Very curious thread really.

Only one explanation ( for me anyway ) makes sense of it and that is a condition that goes along side 'digestive ailments'.

If this ever proved to be the case, people including myself would do a total 180 flip regarding this thread.

It's not really fair for me to say my theory but it does make sense. Sorry for being obtuse.

#264 7 years ago
    #265 7 years ago

I first read this thread and thought, well that sucks for the guy. That was it.

Come back to Pinside later and see the thread is on fire because of a lot of asshole comments, in typical Pinside fashion. I gave the guy some cash solely because people were being assholes instead of just moving along like I initially did. Just because you read something on a forum doesn't mean you HAVE to respond.

So, anyone wondering why I donated, it's probably because you were acting like an asshole to the guy.

Save your time and don't reply to me, I'm draining the thread now so I stop seeing it in my Topics.

#266 7 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I first read this thread and thought, well that sucks for the guy. That was it.
    Come back to Pinside later and see the thread is on fire because of a lot of asshole comments, in typical Pinside fashion. I gave the guy some cash solely because people were being assholes instead of just moving along like I initially did. Just because you read something on a forum doesn't mean you HAVE to respond.
    So, anyone wondering why I donated, it's probably because you were acting like an asshole to the guy.
    Save your time and don't reply to me, I'm draining the thread now so I stop seeing it in my Topics.

I need money too, can you help??

#267 7 years ago

I donated because I've met Steven a couple times and he seemed like a good dude. If I had the time and was located a little closer I would have gone over to help today.

Hobby. Community. Friends. Call it whatever you will but I'm into all this for way more than "look at me/look at what I have/look how clever I am on Pinside/whatever".

#268 7 years ago

+1 above

Really? And on top of that you're bashing Robin and Xerico now? It is amazing to me that the people that keep bashing this thread and the kid are still relentlessly posting in it. You're points have all been well-documented and considered. The redundancy of you making your arguments is becoming both arduous and irritating to read through. Your opinions are your opinions, and you've made them. This, again, is the reason that I recently took a brief hiatus from Pinside. If you don't agree with what the OP posted, or what many of us positive and generous Pinsiders are doing, just leave and don't come back. There are plenty of other threads for you to go troll.

#269 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I need money too, can you help??

No. And don't ever ask.

#270 7 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

+1 above
    Really? And on top of that you're bashing Robin and Xerico now? It is amazing to me that the people that keep bashing this thread and the kid are still relentlessly posting in it. You're points have all been well-documented and considered. The redundancy of you making your arguments is becoming both arduous and irritating to read through. Your opinions are your opinions, and you've made them. This, again, is the reason that I recently took a brief hiatus from Pinside. If you don't agree with what the OP posted, or what many of us positive and generous Pinsiders are doing, just leave and don't come back. There are plenty of other threads for you to go troll.

Well said Colsond. This forum is just a drag to even come to anymore because of some of the people here. I figured this being a pinball forum that 99.9% of the people on here would be good people but I was bad wrong. I honestly can't understand it, never would have dreamed there were so many jerks in the hobby. Oh well.....

#271 7 years ago

Good grief, how does "let's help a fellow pinsider" turn into a witchhunt and bash fest.

Come on, guys. Quit being such negative nancies. And it's no surprise that some of the same people who are negative in this thread are also quite negative in many others.

I tossed a few bucks Steven's way, messaged a handful of people I knew in the area to see if they could lend a hand or knew other collectors nearby who could lend a hand. If I was close by, I would have pitched in and helped haul out machines on top of that.

This is a community. In a community we help each other. Many have pitched in to help, which is great. Kudos to all of you who have.

For those who have offered advice, that has been helpful as well.

Hopefully, Steven will be able to take heed of some of that advice once the immediate crisis is averted. Just keep in mind that he doesn't have the decades worth of life experience that some of you have, and try to cut him a little slack just like you would any young person. I'm sure this situation has been a great learning experience for him and how it can sometimes bring out the best--and worst--in people.

Let's try to stick with bringing out the best, shall we? Thank you.

#272 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Very curious thread really.
    Only one explanation ( for me anyway ) makes sense of it and that is a condition that goes along side 'digestive ailments'.
    If this ever proved to be the case, people including myself would do a total 180 flip regarding this thread.
    It's not really fair for me to say my theory but it does make sense. Sorry for being obtuse.

Pretty much it. It's been a long battle but doing a little better these days as long as I eat food in the right order after I get up due to how bile sits in my body. I have had intense IBS since I was a kid and then a few days before Christmas in 2014 I had to have my gall bladder removed in an emergency surgery at age 16 I believe. Also have had cameras inside of me more than once and all the fun and prep that comes with it. Not very fun! My gall bladder actually died inside of me and they used the revolutionary Da Vinci robot to do it all through an small incision, very cool technology. However the expert surgeon said it was the most difficult one he ever did and that he almost had to resort to the old method of a very large incision across my side because of how difficult it was being. (Gross warning) It had actually died inside of me and somehow "grew arms" and it had to be peeled off of my other insides. (Hardcooooore! ) I was in there for quite some time, asleep of course though. It was like that for quite some time as the hospital I went to the emergency room twice here in NJ said I was just constipated. Went on two different occasions when a major pain spell struck, then finally the third time it happened in PA and I was able to go to my normal doctor and after some tests everybody was shocked, especially after I was sent home advised to just take some laxatives twice from the other hospital. Overlook Hospital, negative shoutout to you... not sure I would trust them with my life!

But yeah, that on top of the IBS which was already very severe just added another complication to things because the bile is now a consistent flow rather than having somewhere to sit. Plain toast to absorb it up in the morning (tastes good too), then some plain chicken to get a good meal in my stomach, then usually rice cakes to top it all off and then I can eat whatever of the rest of my 7-10 possible food choices (plain rice, bananas, chicken and rice soup, rice, fish, rice cakes, banana chips, canned pears - is all I've been able to eat for the last 3 years or so) - that's pretty much key, just setting myself a good base for the day because an empty stomach means trouble! If I go about 6 hours without eating and then try to eat something besides the initial toast that spells trouble so I have to constantly make sure I'm having a snack every now and then. Knock on wood, the past 2 months have been magical in terms of how well I manage it and how great I feel just because I've got the routine down finally. Minimal suffering, but still definitely there. Staying hopeful. Also taking medication to shut off the receptors in my abdomen.

I don't use it as a crutch though or feel bad for myself. I keep my head up. Just doesn't allow me right now hold a 9-5 but I am hoping one day I can build up the consistency and mental strength to go for it. I used to ask myself why me but now that I handle it I am okay with it and wouldn't wish it on anybody. Pinball and arcade collecting was a good thing for me after I had to leave school and eventually I turned it into a job that I love and here I am. Taught myself circuit board repair and all the like and service some commercial and residential clients around NJ & PA.

Thanks for your input. I don't mind talking about it as it is not very personal considering I have to tell all the sweet people who I have to politely decline's food offerings...

#273 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Good grief, how does "let's help a fellow pinsider" turn into a witchhunt and bash fest.

Simple, because he refuses to help himself. Its self centered and wrong.

You have an opinion as do I, doesn't make either of us wrong, its just an opinion.

#274 7 years ago

This thread may be a good starting point for the "purge".

#275 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

You have an opinion as do I, doesn't make either of us wrong, its just an opinion.

Again, your opinions have been offered several times and duly noted. And I suggested you go away, see? So like you were suggesting to Steven, obviously you can't follow good advice either. Pot...meet kettle.

#276 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I'm helping myself by being on my hands and knees vacuuming up water and lugging 300 pound games up the stairs - it's a "group effort"! Surely I too will be donating to my cause once I get my next paycheck. Never forced anybody else to!

#277 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

the initial toast that spells trouble

Trouble or not, I'll have a toast with you and just reading the last page or
    so, I can tell the ones I wouldn't mind tipping the bottle with, and I'm not
    partcial, it's from one coast to the other..
    Fix it up good Steve. We can't have that future project Star Jet getting damp..

#278 7 years ago

I'm sorry about all your troubles my friend. If I was closer or not in a wheelchair, I would help.

One thing we can all do for each other is to lend a helping hand, when possible.

I hope everything works out. Sorry for your troubles... Hope your day doesn't suck.

#279 7 years ago

I imagine the exodus of pins from the basement has begun
    with hopefully a few extra hands on deck.
    Once completed maybe post a couple pics,
    then lets be done with it,
    and the mods can close this thread
    as completed.

Good luck to all, be safe
    do not let anyone get hurt
    people or pins.
    cheers T

#280 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

Trouble or not, I'll have a toast with you and just reading the last page or
    so, I can tell the ones I wouldn't mind tipping the bottle with, and I'm not
    partcial, it's from one coast to the other..
    Fix it up good Steve. We can't have that future project Star Jet getting damp..

Thanks Tim. Very weird seeing some of the people I thought I was good with/friends with come out of the woodwork with the not just negative but particularly mean responses, no exaggeration. Disappointing and sometimes hurtful, but it is what it is I guess. I will likely try taking a little break after this to let all the dust settle and clear my head, being here has been met with more negative responses and than positive as of late even before this and it has caused me to not always be able to walk into the gameroom with the same excitement and smile on my face and being proud of what I have which I want to bring back. I always feel like less around here, even with the kinder responses being along the line of "he'll learn someday, he'll be good someday" (they mean well) really makes me feel like a disappointment and less of a person for my current present-day self, like I won't be good for another 20 years. The worst part is is that I have begun to believe it, time to cut that out. Some people are so misunderstanding. I am grateful and owe a lot to the people who were kind enough to chip in. Just different eras of upbringing I guess (I think if it were age I would have figured it out by now), not begging for money and I know that is sorry but doesn't hurt to provide a simple link I'd say, to me there is a difference which is why this has left me confused and bewildered. Figured those who didn't want to donate wouldn't donate and would leave it alone and it appears I am not alone in this thought. Crazy! The thread was for the story and for the in-person help, the rest was an afterthought and a minimal contribution to the post.

Anyways, thanks and hopefully one day Star-Jet #2 will be ready to go and touring around shows with me. Dry games are good games! One of these days I will have to stop up there especially to get my pinball fix now.

#281 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

I imagine the exodus of pins from the basement has begin
    with hopefully a few extra hands on deck.
    Once completed maybe post a couple pics,
    then lets be done with it,
    and the mods can close this thread
    as completed.
    Good luck to all, be safe
    do not let anyone get hurt
    people or pins.
    cheers T

Thanks Tom. Nobody here yet, sent out a few replies but not sure if anybody is coming. Open door, though, so I guess we'll see. Probably will continue disassembly myself in a little to get started. If nobody shows up I think a friend is around tomorrow.

#282 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Do they have rednecks up in Calgary?

#283 7 years ago

I'm down there during the week. I'll move any and all games you want moved. Ask anyone who has ever bought a game from me, they never lift a finger.

#284 7 years ago

Hi Steven, thanks for sharing. FYI, mold exposure can cause all sorts of nasty inflammatory conditions including IBS symptoms. I mention this because you mentioned a prior mold issue in that basement. Wear a P95 dust mask (with exhale valve) when you are down there (you can get them at Lowe's for roughly $5)
    Good luck!

#285 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Thanks Tom. Nobody here yet, sent out a few replies but not sure if anybody is coming. Open door, though, so I guess we'll see. Probably will continue disassembly myself in a little to get started. If nobody shows up I think a friend is around tomorrow.

Let us know how you make out! Good luck today! My basement has a sump pump in it but I'm always terrified that the power will go out when I'm not home and flood! Very uneasy feeling around the rainy season of April in new England.

#286 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Let us know how you make out! Good luck today! My basement has a sump pump in it but I'm always terrified that the power will go out when I'm not home and flood! Very uneasy feeling around the rainy season of April in new England.

Does your pump have a battery backup feature? Might be worth investing in! I hear those are popular around Pinside.

#287 7 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

I'm down there during the week. I'll move any and all games you want moved. Ask anyone who has ever bought a game from me, they never lift a finger.

=true.

#288 7 years ago

Nobody showed up today (yet) so I gave the Escelera StairCat @beezleboob loaned me another whirl as it's meant to be operated alone anyhow - had a little test run with Mom the other day and wasn't feeling too comfortable with it and it went a little shaky so I gave up after the first set of stairs and went back to the normal handtruck for the last game of the night but this afternoon I decided to perservere and this time went perfect.

Not bad for 300 lbs. up two small flights of stairs!

(Sorry for the bad quality and "EDIT & SEND" text on all the pictures, phone is full of memory and my computer where I empty it is at home - so I use an app to bypass the memory cap)

IMG_9106 (resized).PNGIMG_9106 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9108 (resized).PNGIMG_9108 (resized).PNG

Next...

#289 7 years ago

I wished I could be there to help, I live about 4.5 hours away.

good to see you found the rhythm with the Escolera (yeah THAT is tough to spell)

hope the ones who wished to show are just "fashionably late"

I wonder if "Damp Rid" would be a good product to have by them tables http://www.homedepot.com/p/DampRid-64-oz-Fragrance-Free-High-Capacity-Moisture-Absorber-FG50T/100391308
    I'll spot ya for a few buckets of that ... or some buckets chicken for you & "the boob" later on

I imagine you'll be very fatigue at the end of the day. keep your good spirits up and keep the pics coming

#290 7 years ago

I thought for sure you'd get some people to show up and help move games - I think nobody had any issue with that part of your request.

A little surprised. Maybe help will arrive at some point today.

I would be reluctant to chip in some money for the house repairs - but I'd still pop for a haircut.

If I lived out your way I'd hop in my van and come help you.

#291 7 years ago

"Flash, aaaaaaaah!"

(I am taking little breaks between bringing up games I already took apart so I figure why not share some of my passion of these machines? I always love telling the stories behind my collection and the history behind all of these machines. I remember every year all 30 machines were made and how much I paid for each of them all in my head. Some say I'm crazy but I just love pinball! )

1979 Williams Flash - picked this up two years ago for $200 as my second game in the hobby. Heavy project, came off of route way back when and sat in a warehouse ever since. Time capsule, most of the bulbs were factory original and burnt out. I did not realize until now how beautiful this original factory cabinet paint job still is. I always have had some way to nab the nice ones even back when I wasn't trying to! The playfield is shot but is somehow nostalgic to me, and while I'd probably replace it on any other game I might just make this one work. Standing true to the stories of people lining up to play this game when it was brand new, the playfield truly shows how very clearly much play every Flash game received back in 1979 when it (in my opinion) revolutionized the next era of pinball.

Fun fact: I'm in it for the late 70's/any 80's game nostalgia from old outdated campgrounds and they are where my heart truly lies but my passions for EM games grew as I began collecting and took over the game room. In the famous words of that little girl from the taco commercial: "Why not both?"

Not a fan of the System 3-6 boardset (when they don't work!) so I haven't seen this project for some time as it was stored behind some games along with my 1978 Williams World Cup which also shares the same boardset and is being troublesome. Even bought some "repaired and tested working" boards from a vendor at York but they didn't work either and realized they had bad repairs and acid damage. You win some you lose some, I guess. Seeing the nice factory original condition of this cabinet makes me really want to finish fixing it up, and next time it goes back down in the basement it will be to get up on legs! The sights and sounds of this game make it one of my favorites.

IMG_9109 (resized).PNGIMG_9109 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9110 (resized).PNGIMG_9110 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9111 (resized).PNGIMG_9111 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9112 (resized).PNGIMG_9112 (resized).PNG

#292 7 years ago

She's seen better days mostly because she isn't seeing anything now...

IMG_9114 (resized).PNGIMG_9114 (resized).PNG

#293 7 years ago

1978 Williams World Cup. Early solid-state machine that is old enough to not have an attract mode. (or free play, booo!)

I brought this game to York one year with the machine shined up and ready to go, just had a board issue - but I was going to buy some. Set it up for free play, bought the boards from the vendor, and they didn't work. Of course! So it sat there and looked pretty with me inside of it half of the time for the show. Oh well! This game is in pretty decent condition. Once I save up the money to get the Rottendog boardset for it I am going to put this on my route for others to enjoy. One of my favorite parts of the hobby is sharing - whether it be bringing many games to shows, having pinball parties, or putting them on location. Although it got interrupted, if I can find the space and time to finish up the tail end of my Bally Skyrocket restoration I will be bringing it to Pinfest so everybody can get some plays on it. (It's a rare bird) Doing the same with Star-Jet once it is finished. Sharing the love!

IMG_9115 (resized).PNGIMG_9115 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9116 (resized).PNGIMG_9116 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9118 (resized).PNGIMG_9118 (resized).PNG

#294 7 years ago

Oy…and I didn't come yesterday because I thought you said you had so many people that we might be standing around just shooting the shit.

#295 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Oy…and I didn't come yesterday because I thought you said you had so many people that we might be standing around just shooting the shit.

I had so many people interested in helping out and one guy got caught up in something and let me know but I never heard back from most of the rest during early planning stages. It was silly for me to over-estimate at the beginning expecting not many to fall through. Oh well!

If you want to stop by tomorrow to help finish up (I think I'll hopefully still get a lot done today) I might have another friend coming over that day. Let me know!

#296 7 years ago

I have a charity event to go to so tomorrow is a bad day. My best day was Friday….

#297 7 years ago

No need to fool around. No escalera needed. Just let me swing over Tuesday. 20 min a game and I'll have everything moved for you.

#298 7 years ago

Judging by the looks of the pictures, the Escalera is needed and working out wonderfully. Nice work, Steven! It's pretty cool when you can move a shitload of pins by yourself...gives you a pretty empowering feeling. Glad things are moving along well!

#299 7 years ago
    Quoted from the96stang:

No need to fool around. No escalera needed. Just let me swing over Tuesday. 20 min a game and I'll have everything moved for you.

No joke! Stang turns into the Hulk when moving pins. He is my go to Escalara.

#300 7 years ago
    Quoted from Capinball:

No joke! Stang turns into the Hulk when moving pins. He is my go to Escalara.

Well then, I could use him at my house. I don't have an Escalera anymore.

There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sos-in-nj-help-needed-after-flood/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.