Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 399 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

227a00812146e698f1bf0bfd95ecfc4706af4b69 (resized).jpeg
    Website-Header (resized).jpg
    CeESJVeXIAAsplI (resized).jpg
    Conspiracy-theorist-wearing-tinfoil-hat-stares-at-his-computer-Shutterstock-800x430 (resized).png
    u0n9rzS.jpg
    IMG_0579 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0384 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0430 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9116 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9115 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9118 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9114 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9112 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9111 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9110 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9109 (resized).PNG
    There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
    #201 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Damn People forget what it's like to be 18. My bank account was up and down every week, every month. Sometimes scraping up change for gas money. Of course back then I made $3.00 an hour but everything was cheaper.
    Oh, wait a second. I'm now a father with teenage kids and can honestly say my bank account still goes south first week of the month. Mortgage and bills week!

At 18 I worked 3 jobs and had plenty of emergency cash for situations with my car or other expenses. It is about being prepared for when things go south, because eventually they do. There is NO FAMILY or FRIENDS to ask for this monetary assistance? No credit card? I don't get it.

#202 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Re-read next time. That is insane.

It's amazing how this seems to be going right over your head.

You've asked people to send you money to pay for *your* house repair. Most people pay for their own house repairs.

My workshop roof just sprung a leak the other day and leaked a bit on one of my games. I'm not asking people here to pay to fix it.

So, that's why people are annoyed with you - we all have to pay our own way and they feel it's unfair for you to ask others to do it for you while you refuse to sell a game to pay for it yourself.

#203 7 years ago
    #205 7 years ago

Try living on a bag of potatoes for a month,or taking the bus because you have no gas or it broke down and you have no money. I guess nowadays it is PC to ask people to fix your car because you have to pick up a pin maybe as well. You are taking the easy way out asking for people to solve your problems with their money. Again it's very cool you are 18 and into cool EM games, and I would help you carry all of them across town if you needed it. You should try to absorb what many including my self are saying, we have all been in your spot. Learning to deal with life and your own decisions is a real MF, but it builds character. Unfortunately character and taking responsibility is not taught these days, instead it's all about not my fault and fix this for me. I do again wish you the best of luck with all of this.

#206 7 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

At 18 I worked 3 jobs and had plenty of emergency cash for situations with my car or other expenses. It is about being prepared for when things go south, because eventually they do. There is NO FAMILY or FRIENDS to ask for this monetary assistance? No credit card? I don't get it.

I don't get it either. The whole thing is a shit mess. What I really don't understand is the people sending him money. What makes a person send another one money when they have 29 pinball machines and they refuse to sell any?

Next time I have any house issues, Ill start a thread too. How about this title....

Please help!!, I have $40K in pinball machines, $50K in the bank and 5 cars but I don't want to use my own money. HELP!!

#207 7 years ago

Part of me says awww the other parts says "really?"

The Best advice or comments I saw
    Or have:

Stop scanning CL ads a deal is a deal if you've got a fund allocated for the hobby

Sell games to raise cash. Look 29 pins isn't hoarding but there is a clear pattern of financial irresponsibility.

At no time should any pins or parts be lying on a basement floor . Anticipate the unexpected or be at least be cognizant
    of your water table.

Sump pump and dehumidifier are paramount before game one even goes into a basement that's susceptible to water. Me personally mine flooded in 2010 and I made the necessary engineering adjustments prior to setting up the "arcade". It wasn't cheap.

A wise man even older than me told me to collect quality over quantity . It's mostly worked out well with very few hiccups.

Self-reliance is a tool many of today's youth seem to lack IMHO.

Water in a basement is just that. A FLOOD is a tragic weather phenomenon that destroys property and takes lives.

My $0.02

#208 7 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Self-reliance is a tool many of today's youth seem to lack IMHO.

Agree, is it the personality or the generation?

I know what I would have done now and at his age, and both would have been considerably different. I would have been frustrated and disapointed and overwhelmed, anyone would have been.

However I think somehow it seems more people at this age have less skill and resources to manage or understand responsibility and consequences.

It would seem some are helping seeing the limitation and looking past it, some may be recognizing some aspect in their own experience. I won't question if they should or shouldn't, its their choice.

Interesting situation.

There's a lot to learn here. I'm happy to see community respond to help for what ever their reasons. Its not a mistake to help anyone, its a decision. My hope is that reflection afterword will show some evidence of change.

I still cringe at some of the things I did when i was younger, or yesterday. Maybe this tomorrow.

#209 7 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

18 years old. Ok 1977 . I took 17 credits with 6 hours a week in a science lab, driving a rusty 1965 VW, worked 30 hours a week paying my own tuition , buying my own gas, commuting to classes. Paying for vehicle repairs. My buddies had fill time jobs and had more money than me, or they lived on campus and partied . I never asked anyone for a red cent. Graduated with ZERO student loans and a Bachelor of Science. On my Graduation Day I got my ass to work and had my diploma mailed to me.

When I had a few spare moments away from classes or studying I put quarters into the Pro Pool in the Student Center and racked up the added balls .

#210 7 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

OP, please let this be a positive lesson to learn from in the future. Establish a rainy-day / emergency fund as soon as this current situation passes. AKA have a bank account with a balance at or above 4 digits in it. Do it now. Best of luck.

Wow great advice and a good life lesson, that I'm sure the OP will totally ignore...

#211 7 years ago

A job's a job. I have monthly customers and also service businesses with a large lineup of machines that frequently go down. I don't think that necessarily qualifies as "unemployed". I make a monthly amount that is pretty consistent across each month. And no, it's not zero.

I pay for my expenses at home and my games. Not sure where I said anything different. Due to said medical condition I eat about 6 different foods, very plain cheap food with little to no extra ingredients. Not very expensive to cover myself. No fast food nor filet mignon for me!

Quoted from lancestorm:

OP, please let this be a positive lesson to learn from in the future. Establish a rainy-day / emergency fund as soon as this current situation passes. AKA have a bank account with a balance at or above 4 digits in it. Do it now. Best of luck.

This is the best advice I have received yet and was foolish of me to not have much saved up, I admit that. Thank you. No excuses for that. Usually I keep a few hundred in the bank but splurged a little more last month as I am preparing a few games to go out on route to earn a tiny bit extra (no split with location owner) and also let others enjoy the silver ball and get some games off of the floor which unfortunately came just a litttle too late as this trip I was scheduled to bring the game that was on the floor back to PA to get it ready for operation. Still not an excuse, I understand that.

#212 7 years ago

Ok, so if this is a when I was 18 post I lived in a house that was turned into apartments. There was a hole in the floor that dropped into the basement we put a board over. In the winter it got so cold in the bathroom after a shower water would freeze in the tub when you were done. House was condemned after I left. Ate ramen noodles 6 days a week. I could afford my car but not repairs so I learned how to fix it. That's how I got into my profession. When the rep came in and I had to clean his car I would say to myself "That's the job I want". Well 8 years later I had that job! Tough times can help build character and maybe even a profession!

No disrespect to you OP. As I said we are all cheering for you and hope everything turns out well.

#213 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Due to medical reasons I can't hold a job right now so I decided to extend my hobby into a job and work on my own time when I'm feeling good to make a living.

I'm sorry to hear about your medical conditions that prevent you from obtaining gainful employment. But I congratulate you on your speedy recovery, seeing as how you and your mom moved 7 pins today. Also very happy to hear you've made your hobby a full time job now. Maybe soon you'll be able to get your own place.

#214 7 years ago

You need an immediate fix for 2 grand. 1. Ask your parents for a gift or loan. 2. Get a title loan on your vehicle, you say that's extreme,but you would have money in hand and repairs being done tomorrow. 3. Take games to a pawnshop for a collateral loan, money in hand. You are young and might not know of this. I do see you know #1 very well, but to think you are going to get gifted 2 grand as fast and start repairs seems foolish or maybe I'm the fool. You said asap on needing to fix this just some asap ideas. Maybe your family will fix it asap knowing that the kindness of others is on the way to make it all better. Again just trying to help. If you give a man a fish he eats today, but if you teach him to fish he will always eat kind of stuff. I wish you and your family the best in this. You are probably going to need it when nana wants to turn your butt red for putting all those games upstairs and all the people come over to help, which I hope many will. We all need help from time to time. Best of luck and make sure if you have any money leftover to send a good old fashioned thank you card to those that sent money. It means a lot to us old people. A card is that thing nana used to give you that probably started your pinball fund.

#215 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spg101:

No disrespect to you OP. As I said we are all cheering for you and hope everything turns out well.

Thanks.

Quoted from SunKing:

But I congratulate you on your speedy recovery, seeing as how you and your mom moved 7 pins today. Also very happy to hear you've made your hobby a full time job now. Maybe soon you'll be able to get your own place.

I'm staying positive on this thread but excuse you. You come in here acting like you know my life. Just because I can move games around does not mean I am magically cured. Thankfully things are better than they were a little while back through very strict managament and keeping up with it but it is still there and not every medical issue is something you can see or something that makes you unable to function physically, I am still physically competent as long as I keep my issue managed very well and keep my head up through the pain. Does not mean I am doing great every day or that I can commit to a schedule. Good days and bad days. I can't expect you to understand and you should stop making assumptions because you're coming off like a prick.

#216 7 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

You need an immediate fix for 2 grand. 1. Ask your parents for a gift or loan. 2. Get a title loan on your vehicle, you say that's extreme,but you would have money in hand and repairs being done tomorrow. 3. Take games to a pawnshop for a collateral loan, money in hand. You are young and might not know of this. I do see you know #1 very well, but to think you are going to get gifted 2 grand as fast and start repairs seems foolish or maybe I'm the fool. You said asap on needing to fix this just some asap ideas. Maybe your family will fix it asap knowing that the kindness of others is on the way to make it all better. Again just trying to help. If you give a man a fish he eats today, but if you teach him to fish he will always eat kind of stuff. I wish you and your family the best in this. You are probably going to need it when nana wants to turn your butt red for putting all those games upstairs and all the people come over to help, which I hope many will. We all need help from time to time. Best of luck and make sure if you have any money leftover to send a good old fashioned thank you card to those that sent money. It means a lot to us old people. A card is that thing nana used to give you that probably started your pinball fund.

Thanks for your nice words Buzz. I am not a big believer in loans or credit cards because I have seen them destroy people so I do what I can to stay away from them, loans can be good but I think not getting one and dealing with the Pinside backlash is a much more mature decision than getting one against my car and not being sure I could even pay it back in time. It something else comes up to where I wouldn't be able to pay it back I am screwed. And that is not a good decision.

#217 7 years ago

Sorry one more advice after reading your last post. Marry for money not love unless you can get both.

#218 7 years ago

Thanks all for the nice comments and donations so far. Hanging in there and still just a moderate leak going on there, dry or just moist floors at most of the basement thankfully while still getting puddles around most of the perimeter.

Thanks to Pinside together we have raised nearly $600 in two days towards my cause. I will be getting a quote from the business spfxted mentioned as soon as all of the games are out incase they have to come over. I am very very grateful and will be sending out thank yous to the PayPal e-mails if I don't know the person's number or their Pinside alias.

Remember to please join me tomorrow around 2 PM to help get these last games up. If you need the address please PM me. (Again, not selling games especially at firesale prices so please don't ask, sorry!)

Here are some photos from today, alone again as Mom had to return to PA so did what I could to start moving some games around and disassembling them:

IMG_9065 (resized).PNGIMG_9065 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9066 (resized).PNGIMG_9066 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9067 (resized).PNGIMG_9067 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9068 (resized).PNGIMG_9068 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9069 (resized).PNGIMG_9069 (resized).PNG

Dehumidifer is rated for up to 70 liters every 24 hours and have been emptying a nearly full bucket around every 10 hours or so. Not sure how much it holds but it's a lot!

#219 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I'm staying positive on this thread but excuse you. You come in here acting like you know my life...... you're coming off like a prick.

I only know what you've posted. YOU started this thread asking for help, and honestly I would have been totally sympathetic to your cause HAD YOU NOT ASKED FOR MONEY.

I get it, it's a generation thing. In today's kickstarter/gofundme world, there is no shame in begging for $$ today. Sorry, but I think it's sad.

In one breath you say "I'm too sick to work" and in another it's "I got a job - how do you think I got all these pins?" ....jeez...

#220 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Thanks to Pinside together we have raised nearly $600 in two days towards my cause. I will be getting a quote from the business spfxted mentioned as soon as all of the games are out incase they have to come over.

You're gonna need a bigger boat.

#221 7 years ago

Totally agree about debt. Sometimes it is necessary unfortunately. I was only trying to help, but do respectfully disagree on some of this matter. If I have helped at all with ideas and personal lessons learned I am glad. That's why old guys say stuff like if I know what I know now and was 18 again kind of shit. Life is tuff and pinball is fun. Enjoy the highs and the lows it's a long road. Hey you own some games before I ever did, so right on and again best of luck.

#222 7 years ago

I find it amazing that so many on here take this request for aid, labor and fiscal, as some kind of personal affront and then proceed to sermonize on it. It's simple, if you don't think it's OK to be asked for money, don't donate.

#223 7 years ago
    Quoted from wschaub:

I find it amazing that so many on here take this request for aid, labor and fiscal, as some kind of personal affront and then proceed to sermonize on it. It's simple, if you don't think it's OK to be asked for money, don't donate.

I enjoy all of the sermonizing.

#224 7 years ago
    #225 7 years ago
    Quoted from wschaub:

Again, I ask..... Why do you think its OK to ask for money and declare " I'm not selling anything!!, don't even ask"???

Talk about a self-centered attitude. Though, I guess, free handouts are always nice.

#226 7 years ago

I need to look that up?

#227 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

sermonizing.

Quoted from arcademojo:

I need to look that up?

ITs what i do to my car (once a week before heading to mass),
    to give it a good shine.

#228 7 years ago
    #229 7 years ago

Interesting - Google the definition of Otaku

#230 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

ITs what i do to my car (once a week before heading to mass),
    to give it a good shine.

Just about spit my beer out on that one!

#231 7 years ago

I feel for him a bit some ways - but I'm a bit baffled too. ......

Yup raised $600 through pinside so far but not selling games - don't even ask.....

If people show up to help, happen to have cash in pocket and make a nice reasonable offer to get one of the games out of the way - it would be foolish to dismiss the offer right out.

Refusing to help yourself when a financial opportunity might arise to help bail yourself out of this mess on your own is dismissed, but taking advantage of the goodwill and monetary generosity of others won't win you too many friends...... and it may cost you some friends to boot.

#232 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Interesting - Google the definition of Otaku

Huh that might explain some things

#233 7 years ago

People giving money to a kid that hasn't a clue about real life and real problems. The water ruined a pos em game that only you care about and rusted some legs and levelers while you were out picking up another game that you dont have proper storage for..you know what they say about fools and their money.....two years ago we had massive flooding here and my house was flooded twice and my retaining walls in the back yard were destroyed which cost me 20 grand in repairs out of pocket two months after my dad passed. however I didn't get on here and complain and ask for money for my first world problems. this beats all that you would even ask for this money....

#234 7 years ago

Uh, definition of otaku pretty much shut this down. Or I thought so....

#235 7 years ago

If you won't sell a game to help yourself, why should others help you?

It's like personal responsibility has gone the way of the dodo.

#236 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

If you won't sell a game to help yourself, why should others help you?
    It's like personal responsibility has gone the way of the dodo.

If he's routing games for income selling them is poor financial management.

#237 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

LOL, good thing your seeing the whole picture....

#238 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

And if people are going to pay for things you need why use your own money. This guy is a genius.

#239 7 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I'll repeat it, he expects $2k for this thread! WoW

Well I'll politely decline monitory compensation. Nobody ever handed me money to fund a hobby.

I'll always listen to a person wanting a hand up, not a handout .

I donate my goods, services, and money to Cancer Research ( I'm a 2 time survivor) , Local Shelters, Food for the Poor, Fidelco & Goodwill.

#240 7 years ago

You guys have convinced me. I'm gonna sell some games.

#241 7 years ago
    Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Well I'll politely decline monitory compensation. Nobody ever handed me money to fund a hobby.
    I'll always listen to a person wanting a hand up, not a handout .
    I donate my goods, services, and money to Cancer Research ( I'm a 2 time survivor) , Local Shelters, Food for the Poor, Fidelco & Goodwill.

Congrats on being a cancer survivor and being a generous person! I didn't find it offensive that he put his pay pal info up in case someone wanted to donate and help in this particular situation. If you someone don't want to give then just don't give, pretty simple really. I just figured the kids basement is flooded really bad putting his games in danger with more water coming and he's freaking out a bit......just like I would be also.

The older I get, the more generous I become. That doesn't mean I let people take advantage of my generosity though because I'm no dummy and I won't allow that to happen. I've had a good life and I try and give back here and there when funds allow me too, giving to help animals is my biggest thing because I love animals so much.

I've just become less stingy as I get older and I'm glad. I definitely believe in working for the things that you get and I hate lazy asses and bottom feeders. Giving to cancer related things makes me feel good since I lost my Mom to cancer, giving to animals makes me feel great, sick children, a family in need ,whatever. Hell sometimes it feels good to even buy someone a pizza that is less fortunate than I am even if is their own fault that they are that way. I'm just kind of shocked at some people's reactions here but it's all good. I'm probably a bigger hard ass than 90% of the people on this forum when it comes to stuff like this but for whatever reason I just didn't find the OP's post offensive at all. I don't think he really expected people to give, I think he just threw the option out there to fellow pinheads. I just try to help people when i can, it's my nature.

#242 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Sorry to hear about your mishap...asking for manpower help is one thing and if I lived nearby I would pitch in,however these sort of go fund me threads for this type of stuff never go well for the OP...don't get me wrong I read a lot of your posts and admire your passion at a young age for these classics and I mean you no ill will, just prepare for some folks here that will criticize ...

And the Nostradamus award goes to.....Cosmo. First post of the thread no less, well done.

#243 7 years ago

Jeez! What the fuck is wrong with some of you people…..

#244 7 years ago

I'm with you, Ted. Holy shit are some of you guys assholes. You don't know him, at all. Just fuck off to another thread please, he's not here looking for extra parents.

I'd be on my way already Steven but I am at work now and work tomorrow night as well. I'll keep an eye on this to see how it's going and can maybe pop over Monday if there's still work to do. I've appreciated what I've seen from you at York & Allentown and have been meaning to make your acquaintance anyway. I can drink that Budweiser too, if any is left.

#245 7 years ago

I need to pay the mortgage this month, good thing I have 17 pins and can sell some to make this payment.

#246 7 years ago

I didn't read every post, but I get the gist of it. I made some stupid decisions when I was 18 (and beyond), hoped I could get some sort of bail out. Never got one, maybe it was for the better. None of my stupid decisions involved buying and fixing cool things (until much later). I think the 29 games, he can afford it argument is a little weak. I don't know what the market is like in the OP area, but EM's are pretty cheap here. Other than maybe one game I really wanted, I've paid anywhere from free to $200 for older games. Mostly projects. Unless they are sought after titles, after hours of getting them to work, you are looking at selling for $400-500. It's not like he's sitting on a gold mine. I only have 7 working games right now, but one them is an MMR I bought NIB. I could easily turn that into 20+ EMs. it took me a long time to build up some pin equity to afford that one. I'm tossing a little money his way. I'd help if I was closer with some moving. Good luck.

#247 7 years ago

Otaku, I think I have the same dehumidifier. I believe you can hook a hose up to this so you don't need to empty manually, might be useful. Wish I was a bit closer so that I could get out there to help out, just won't be possible this weekend unfortunately.

+3 on the shit some of you guys are assholes. If you have nothing better to do than piss in this guy's cornflakes, why not instead go back to debating LEDs or Stern releases...or playing pinball

#248 7 years ago
    Quoted from Philk:

Otaku, I think I have the same dehumidifier. I believe you can hook a hose up to this so you don't need to empty manually, might be useful. Wish I was a bit closer so that I could get out there to help out, just won't be possible this weekend unfortunately.
    +3 on the shit some of you guys are assholes. If you have nothing better to do than piss in this guy's cornflakes, why not instead go back to debating LEDs or Stern releases...or playing pinball

This is kinda how I feel about it too, thats why in a previous post that I said sometimes is better to just stfu and take the high road. At least people now know who some of the azzholes on here are though, because there were a few that really exposed themselves. I can understand that some people may feel he shouldn't have put up his pay pal for donation purposes, but the way some of these people jumped on him and just kept bashing his head in really shows how big of ungrateful azzholes that they really are.

We are all going to go through tough times eventually and need to ask someone for help, it doesnt matter who you are, how rich you are, or whatever. These same people may need help one day from a friend, a fellow pinhead, God, or whoever, and they may end up getting a life lesson themselves. Karma is a MF'R sometimes.

#249 7 years ago

Thanks guys. Good to see the thread turn around a little and appreciate the defense. Posted in the EM pictures thread of how cool the wedgeheads look packed up next to each other and linked the thread so I could explain why they were like that (a lot of my EM friends don't browse the rest of the forum/have the rest shut off) but caught the brunt of it there too for barely anything. An e-mail address linked once sure brings out people's feelings! You'd think people who didn't wanna donate enough to where it makes them angry would stay off of the thread.

Silver lining, all that posting activity from their replies and the replies they caused to their statements bumped the thread over and over over the last few days and likely helped out tons in terms of visibility on the main page. So thanks guys! (not even being sarcastic either) It helped generate lots of donations and also seems to have got me the help in-person I needed which is the best part. Thank you Pinsiders for coming together to get my games out of this mess.

The basement is doing okay (still leaking) and they are not in a lot of water anymore but now the point is to get them out of there so I can get the proper construction done even if they "might" be okay staying down there with the amount of water that is down there now. (which probably isn't true anyways)

Sent out PM replies for details of tomorrow's little get together. Looking forward to meeting some of you!

#250 7 years ago

Also, question to anybody else with a sump pump in their gameroom:

I'm assuming you have some kind of cover that still allows water to drip into the sump pit (or I guess it wouldn't need to if the french drain drained in from the side)? Seems like humidity would be a concern as if I am not mistaken there is always a constant amount of water in the sump pit, and when it gets over a certain amount it pumps the extra out to bring it back to normal rather than draining the entire pit. Makes sense, but wondering about the humidity/cover. I guess they're usually left uncovered if there is no other reason to cover it like in my case.

I see some on Google when searching for covers. Just making sure these are a-okay to use. Will ask the experts but curious of other experiences while I wait.

There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sos-in-nj-help-needed-after-flood/page/5?hl=spg101 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.