2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 399 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 35 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

227a00812146e698f1bf0bfd95ecfc4706af4b69 (resized).jpeg
    Website-Header (resized).jpg
    CeESJVeXIAAsplI (resized).jpg
    Conspiracy-theorist-wearing-tinfoil-hat-stares-at-his-computer-Shutterstock-800x430 (resized).png
    u0n9rzS.jpg
    IMG_0579 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0384 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0430 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9116 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9115 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9118 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9114 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9112 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9111 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9110 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9109 (resized).PNG

There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.
    #151 2 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

Damn wheres that popcorn gif...

Popcorn (resized).jpg

#152 2 years ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

all you negative nelly dick dogs....

#153 2 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I really don't think that is anyone's business but I see no reason Steven shouldn't post that figure if he wants to. Hopefully if he gets more money in than is needed to solve his short term issues he will pay it forward and not use that excess money to buy another pinball machine.

Given the tone in here, I'm sure plenty of people have added the "what game did you bring home today" thread to their favorites...and waiting patiently to see Otaku's avatar pop up...

If you think there are some negative nelly dick dogs (thanks John - stealing that) in here now...God forbid that would happen. That would be the Ultimate Pinside Shitstorm of 2017. As I said above, I sold a game to Steven and know him slightly, so I would not expect anything like that out of him. Now back to me getting my hands on Boob's Escalera...

#154 2 years ago

It's telling that you were picking up a game when this happened. I've had the same embarrassing thing happened to me. Spent some money, an emergency happened, and had to ask family for help.

Best advice I can give you is stop looking at CL or for sale ads. Start saving some money. Quit buying. You have to set a limit on your collection or it will get out of hand. If you ever want to be truly independent, you have to get a handle on your finances.

These are the harsh words I had to hear. Sorry for your unfortunate circumstances and hope you get it sorted out.

#155 2 years ago

Sometimes pins and water do mix....this guy looks happy!

WW (resized).jpg

Not poking fun Otaku, just trying to lighten up the room.

#156 2 years ago

Well anyone that has games in a basement should know that they at very least need to be up on pallets but should always if at all possible at least be up on legs because basements flood. I have my games in my basement and even if a game is not working I always put legs on it immediately. At least then you have a couple feet of flood clearance! That being said sorry to hear about the loss and the predicament. Hindsight is 20/20 but if you want to save your games you need to have more foresight! If you didn't have room to set that game up then get some pallets at least to keep it off the floor... Ok Lecture finished! Good luck fixing this!!!

#157 2 years ago

Nobody's opinion is wrong here.

I was in a few situations early in life where I could have used some extra bucks to bail me out (tuition, rent, car repairs). It would have never occurred to me to ask anyone for the money, especially those outside of my immediate family.

In retrospect, maybe I should have asked too instead of picking up extra shifts at the restaurant where I was working at the time.

#158 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

Nobody's opinion is wrong here.

by the responses, some do not agree

Quoted from Mike_J:

In retrospect, maybe I should have asked too instead of picking up extra shifts at the restaurant where I was working at the time.

he posted a few times in the past that he does not have a job, so that isn't an answer.

how much water did he really have? the way i understood the post it had to be less than an 1" did not cover the whole basement just a section

#159 2 years ago

Maybe other activity on the forum has diminished some sympathy or empathy for Otaku....I'll guess the fellows at Pinball Resource wouldn't consider to come out to help or offer some parts to fix damaged machines later...

I have mixed feelings on this. Feel bad for him. If I lived in his area I'd go help him move the games. I gather he's probably a decent young man from reading his activity here and viewing a few video clips, but he might order his needs, wants, priorities and sacrifices a little different than those of us that have a experienced a few more replays or spent more credits in the game of life.

To those who show up at his grandma's place to help - hats off to you. If somebody who shows up there happens to have a nice pocket full of money with them and offers to buy a game - it might be a great time for our little buddy to sell his first game or two ! Maybe an offer to sell them back later would be something to consider too to help loosen up that urge to hold onto everything.

Where the heck is Grandma and why isn't she helping tote machines upstairs ??? (Kidding )

If I were there, I'd help. But the plea for cash might go unheeded....... Well maybe even I'd pop for a donation for him after I first gave him a few bucks for a haircut.

#160 2 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

by the responses, some do not agree

he posted a few times in the past that he does not have a job, so that isn't an answer.
    how much water did he really have? the way i understood the post it had to be less than an 1" did not cover the whole basement just a section

I really hope you are joking. Doesn't have a job!!! How do you collect pins if you don't have a job, obviously excluding those here
    On pinside who are retired and/or handicapped.

#161 2 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I really hope you are joking. Doesn't have a job!!! How do you collect pins if you don't have a job, obviously excluding those here
    On pinside who are retired and/or handicapped.

Ya im thinking the same thing. So doesn't have a job( if it's true), lives with his folks, and has 29 machines and no bank account. Instead of selling machines ask people for money
    Ya that makes sense...

#162 2 years ago

I am wondering why your family is not helping you. It's not your house, so why are the family members that own the house not doing something? Maybe there is a reason. You said someone worked for Budweiser and house is full of free beer. Companies sponsor stuff all the time ask for there help and put a game in the break room. Put your games in a $50 storage when help comes and forget about your family's basement until they fix the situation or you MAKE enough money to fix it. That would be an immediate fix and Robin has sent you 50. If you own your car take a loan on it. Pawnshop. If your family is not helping there must be a reason. Maybe your parents know something we don't. Again I don't like to see games in distress and wish you the best, but this seems odd.

#163 2 years ago

This thread needs some logic. Good luck to the OP - but come on - sell some machines or ask the people responsible for the home to fix it with their money.

#164 2 years ago

if he has a job or not i don't know but he had posted a few times he did not. i only said it in response to the guy that posted he worked more hours to make money. i just let him know as far as i know that wasn't an option.

#165 2 years ago

I was going to increase my donation to the childrens hospital, but I'm thinking I have found a new cause to support that is much more urgent!

#166 2 years ago

Hope this all works out OK for you. I think some of the older guys on this forum might feel that your 'asset allocation' is a bit peculiar, but so be it and I don't fault you for doing whatever you have to minimize damage to that great pin collection you have.

I don't like asking anyone for hand-outs and wouldn't be so quick to ask strangers to come over and help out physically... those days in this country are sadly over. One slip of an ankle, or back strain from the so-called 'helper' might create another set of problems for you and the home owner. Sad - but I know many on this forum have been down this road...

#167 2 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

if he has a job or not i don't know but he had posted a few times he did not. i only said it in response to the guy that posted he worked more hours to make money. i just let him know as far as i know that wasn't an option.

I wasn't providing options for the OP. I was only stating what I did in a similar situation at a similar age.

Quoted from GGBGROUP:

One slip of an ankle, or back strain from the so-called 'helper' might create another set of problems for you and the home owner. Sad - but I know many on this forum have been down this road...

One good slip and fall in that wet basement and he will have to worry about much more than whether he should sell a machine or two.

#168 2 years ago

I'd be selling the beer. Cases of Budweiser - $10/ea!

#169 2 years ago
    Quoted from GGBGROUP:

I'd be selling the beer. Cases of Budweiser - $10/ea!

Count me in.

#170 2 years ago

Maybe the flood is really just leaking Budweiser - In my estimation Bud kind of looks and tastes about the same as floodwater seepage.
    ( I haven't drank floodwater but I have tried Bud a couple times - seems pretty nasty to me )

Perhaps if all the beer is drank the problem will go away. You might find a few brave souls who could help out with that.

I'm just glad the OP wasn't there during the flood. Previously I was under the impression he lived in Grandma's basement with the pins. Had this vision of him curled up on a sleeping bag under one of the many pins. Guess that was wrong. I gather now that he's more of a Pinball Vagabond.

#171 2 years ago

You couldn't pay me $10 to drink a budweiser

#172 2 years ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

You couldn't pay me $10 to drink a budweiser

Yeah, the world needs more of that craft brewed crap.

#173 2 years ago

I do think this thread shows the incredible generosity of pinsiders willing to help. Great stuff. It is very nice that people are willing to go and help.

As for donations - also have reservations. Say for example he doesn't want to sell because emotionally it is just too hard, and he is fighting the addictive urges that we have while collecting. Are we then colluding with an addiction?

Just a different take on the situation.

Great that people are offering help but friendly advice is more worthwhile in the long term even though some stuff is hard to hear.

Hope tomorrow goes well to those helping in NJ.

#174 2 years ago

Was kind of thinking the same, since he seems to have no family support it seems. We are possibly all enablers by contributing.

IMG_0341 (resized).PNG

#175 2 years ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

Ya im thinking the same thing. So doesn't have a job( if it's true), lives with his folks, and has 29 machines and no bank account. Instead of selling machines ask people for money
    Ya that makes sense...

Rumor central! If I don't have a job how do you expect me to have 29 pinball machines even if they were all $100 - they were not free. Yes, I have a job. (and also a bank account, not sure where you got that idea from)

You guys having a fun time playing sherlock? Lol.

Quoted from Buzz:

I am wondering why your family is not helping you. It's not your house, so why are the family members that own the house not doing something? Maybe there is a reason. You said someone worked for Budweiser and house is full of free beer. Companies sponsor stuff all the time ask for there help and put a game in the break room. Put your games in a $50 storage when help comes and forget about your family's basement until they fix the situation or you MAKE enough money to fix it. That would be an immediate fix and Robin has sent you 50. If you own your car take a loan on it. Pawnshop. If your family is not helping there must be a reason. Maybe your parents know something we don't. Again I don't like to see games in distress and wish you the best, but this seems odd.

My family has no reason to necessarily care about some water in their basement besides maybe if they're worried about foundation damage. You have to understand the basement is literally 4 walls and a concrete floor. There is nothing to damage except my machines. They care about me (and my hobby) but I do not expect them to go full speed ahead to save my machines like I would. They do not understand.

Also, I don't think a loan against my car of all things is the best option here... this is getting very extreme.

Plain and simple need help moving the machines first and foremost. That was always the point of the thread. Once that is done it is no longer an emergency situation and the basement can leak to its heart's content until we get it fixed. Posted my PayPal so if anybody who wants to help but isn't close enough can contribute. Did not realize a single sentence can get so many people up in arms. I respect people's money but also respect their right to do with it as they please - and if they want to contribute I'm not "robbing" them by any means. I still disagree and felt more guilty originally for asking than I do as a result of any of these responses.

I need money for a sump pump and while I work for it myself I offered if anybody would like to help with that they can do so. A lot of very generous people donated and are still donating and I am so grateful. The "other side of the argument" (which didn't even really need to be an argument in the first place) turned into a bunch of older people discussing my life, if I have a job, my family, how much my family "hates me", and how greedy I am. Wonderful. I think the guy asking for money to buy the Rocky pinball machine because he was in debt from loans he took out and couldn't afford it got less grief than this. However somehow I am not surprised, which is unfortunate.

I will certainly pay it forward and the discussion of what I will do if I have leftover money is insane. As I said it will either go towards fixing the problem, if it's totally not needed whatsoever and my family steps in and nails out the problem it will be returned or donated, and if there's only a partial amount left the rest will be donated to a charity like the childhood diabetes charity posted on here by Bryan_Kelly. (link for those who want to help out there: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombie-custom-300-auction-for-jdrf, there is a regular donate link further down in the thread which helps them out)

That being said I do not want to be chastised when/if I buy more machines in the future. I still have a job, just not one that pays $2,000 in 3 days for a sump pump that is needed ASAP. It will be slightly less urgent once all of the machines are safe but still urgent in the essence that they're taking up the living space, or urgent in the fact that they're being paid for in a storage unit, etc., etc..

Thanks.

#176 2 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Plain and simple need help moving the machines first and foremost. That was always the point of the thread. Once that is done it is no longer an emergency situation and the basement can leak to its heart's content until we get it fixed. Posted my PayPal so if anybody who wants to help but isn't close enough can contribute.

I've been looking on the paypal site for a way to help move machines remotely, but can't find that section.

Quoted from Otaku:

I need money for a sump pump and while I work for it myself I offered if anybody would like to help with that they can do so.

I need money to fix leaky bathroom plumbing but you don't see me asking folks in a pinball forum for it. In fact I don't see ANYONE here asking for money for household repairs. You are the outlier; that is why we're discussing your life.

#177 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I need money to fix leaky bathroom plumbing but you don't see me asking folks in a pinball forum for it. In fact I don't see ANYONE here asking for money for household repairs. You are the outlier; that is why we're discussing your life.

Asking for help of saving pinball machines on a pinball forum seems relevant to me. You're right, asking for help repairing your bathroom would be a little odd on here.

#178 2 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Rumor central! If I don't have a job how do you expect me to have 29 pinball machines even if they were all $100 - they were not free. Yes, I have a job. (and also a bank account, not sure where you got that idea from)
    You guys having a fun time playing sherlock? Lol.

My family has no reason to necessarily care about some water in their basement besides maybe if they're worried about foundation damage. You have to understand the basement is literally 4 walls and a concrete floor. There is nothing to damage except my machines. They care about me (and my hobby) but I do not expect them to go full speed ahead to save my machines like I would. They do not understand.
    Also, I don't think a loan against my car of all things is the best option here... this is getting very extreme.
    Plain and simple need help moving the machines first and foremost. That was always the point of the thread. Once that is done it is no longer an emergency situation and the basement can leak to its heart's content until we get it fixed. Posted my PayPal so if anybody who wants to help but isn't close enough can contribute. Did not realize a single sentence can get so many people up in arms. I respect people's money but also respect their right to do with it as they please - and if they want to contribute I'm not "robbing" them by any means. I still disagree and felt more guilty originally for asking than I do as a result of any of these responses.
    I need money for a sump pump and while I work for it myself I offered if anybody would like to help with that they can do so. A lot of very generous people donated and are still donating and I am so grateful. The "other side of the argument" (which didn't even really need to be an argument in the first place) turned into a bunch of older people discussing my life, if I have a job, my family, how much my family "hates me", and how greedy I am. Wonderful. I think the guy asking for money to buy the Rocky pinball machine because he was in debt from loans he took out and couldn't afford it got less grief than this. However somehow I am not surprised, which is unfortunate.
    I will certainly pay it forward and the discussion of what I will do if I have leftover money is insane. As I said it will either go towards fixing the problem, if it's totally not needed whatsoever and my family steps in and nails out the problem it will be returned or donated, and if there's only a partial amount left the rest will be donated to a charity like the childhood diabetes charity posted on here by Bryan_Kelly. (link for those who want to help out there: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombie-custom-300-auction-for-jdrf, there is a regular donate link further down in the thread which helps them out)
    That being said I do not want to be chastised when/if I buy more machines in the future. I still have a job, just not one that pays $2,000 in 3 days for a sump pump that is needed ASAP. It will be slightly less urgent once all of the machines are safe but still urgent in the essence that they're taking up the living space, or urgent in the fact that they're being paid for in a storage unit, etc., etc..
    Thanks.

In your first post you say you have 0 in your bank account. So you have a bank account with no money - how does that help you? That's where I got it from...

#179 2 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I need money to fix leaky bathroom plumbing but you don't see me asking folks in a pinball forum for it.

If your leaky bathroom plumbing is threatening that Stern Dracula in your collection, I'd be happy to take it off your hands or store it for you.

#181 2 years ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

In your first post you say you have 0 in your bank account. So you have a bank account with no money - how does that help you? That's where I got it from...

It's not always empty and semi-frequently gets to a decent amount. But it doesn't sometimes have thousands of dollars in it, either. Especially during a dire situation like this. I spent the last of it on the dehumidifer which I am not putting donations towards since I bought it just before them.

#182 2 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Asking for help of saving pinball machines on a pinball forum seems relevant to me. You're right, asking for help repairing your bathroom would be a little odd on here.

Asking for help moving the pins out of the damp basement is fine. Asking for money to fix your house is not. Everyone has household maintenance costs, but no one here is asking for help paying for them except you. This is what most of the people here are trying to tell you. Maybe you'll understand when you get older and wiser.

If you can afford 29 pins, you can afford a sump pump to protect them.

#183 2 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

It's not always empty and semi-frequently gets to a decent amount. But it doesn't sometimes have thousands of dollars in it, either. Especially during a dire situation like this. I spent the last of it on the dehumidifer which I am not putting donations towards since I bought it just before them.

It's all good. I hope everything works out for you...

#184 2 years ago

When you put it on a public forum you get what you get. I would love to help I unfortunately have a lot of extra time these days,but live to far away I would have helped move them right now. I think the older crowd is giving you valuable ideas and lessons in life for free because we all do care. I don't like to see games trashed and know personally how this hobby is an addiction. I don't personally think you need money just some compassionate muscle help. I'm sorry but the PayPal thing and accepting money seems wrong. I know it will help and it's very nice of people,but it is kind of the same. Managing money is hard and your situation is the same as the example you gave. The truth is painful sometimes, but I hope you think about setting up a savings for this stuff. There will be more.

#185 2 years ago

Ahh, C'mon. He's only asking for $2k to improve the climate control in his basement. It's an emergency!

#186 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Ahh, C'mon. He's only asking for $2k to improve the climate control in his basement. It's an emergency!

#187 2 years ago

Probably too far away to make it possible (550 miles), but if you can get them to me, you can store them at my place for free. I can fit 30 games no problem if they are broken down. Gas and a uhaul is probably more than a storage unit though

#188 2 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

You Just Dont Get It!!!
    Helping pinsiders who need help moving machines from further or oncoming damage is a great concept and I would gladly help any pinsiders who posted a needfor a few hours help if I was close by but asking for donations towards repairing your grandmoms sump pump isn't. How is donating to your sump pump fund helping the hobby in any way? It's not! but it will leave more money in your pocket to buy new machines as you've Already stated you intend to do. "Don't chastise me".
    Grow up !
    Sell a few machines if you have to! Prepare to be chastised, not by me ,but most pinsiders have great memories and you will hear about this Forever!

#189 2 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

Maybe the flood is really just leaking Budweiser - In my estimation Bud kind of looks and tastes about the same as floodwater seepage.
    ( I haven't drank floodwater but I have tried Bud a couple times - seems pretty nasty to me )
    Perhaps if all the beer is drank the problem will go away. You might find a few brave souls who could help out with that.
    I'm just glad the OP wasn't there during the flood. Previously I was under the impression he lived in Grandma's basement with the pins. Had this vision of him curled up on a sleeping bag under one of the many pins. Guess that was wrong. I gather now that he's more of a Pinball Vagabond.

I'll bet if you tried drinking Budweiser it would vastly improve your grammar!!

#190 2 years ago

Time for a gut check. You have over extended yourself,you chose a bad place to store games,and now you are asking and accepting money for you bad decisions. I get it,you have made some bad decisions we all do. If your family won't give you help and getting the money you need using your car seems like a bad idea, then why should anyone else? Stuff will always go wrong in life. My family could use some free money for food and stuff, but I got them into this and I will get them out. Hey pm me if anyone wants to help feed them while I try to get another job. They are actually innocent in this, but I am not. I really don't want help, because the best lessons are earned.

#191 2 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

I'll bet if you tried drinking Budweiser it would vastly improve your grammar!!

And if you'd stop drinking Budweiser it would clear up your chronic diarrhea

#192 2 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

How is donating to your sump pump fund helping the hobby in any way? It's not! but it will leave more money in your pocket to buy new machines as you've Already stated you intend to do. "Don't chastise me".
    Grow up !

Re-read next time. That is insane.

Quoted from Otaku:

the discussion of what I will do if I have leftover money is insane. As I said it will either go towards fixing the problem, if it's totally not needed whatsoever and my family steps in and nails out the problem it will be returned or donated, and if there's only a partial amount left the rest will be donated to a charity like the childhood diabetes charity posted on here by Bryan_Kelly. (link for those who want to help out there: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rob-zombie-custom-300-auction-for-jdrf, there is a regular donate link further down in the thread which helps them out)

#194 2 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Probably too far away to make it possible (550 miles), but if you can get them to me, you can store them at my place for free. I can fit 30 games no problem if they are broken down. Gas and a uhaul is probably more than a storage unit though

Thank you for the very kind offer. I think I can find the room around here but if not I will likely get a small storage unit for the small amount of leftover.

#195 2 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

My family has no reason to necessarily care about some water in their basement besides maybe if they're worried about foundation damage.

Quoted from Otaku:

#196 2 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Damn People forget what it's like to be 18. My bank account was up and down every week, every month. Sometimes scraping up change for gas money. Of course back then I made $3.00 an hour but everything was cheaper.
    Oh, wait a second. I'm now a father with teenage kids and can honestly say my bank account still goes south first week of the month. Mortgage and bills week!

#197 2 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Damn People forget what it's like to be 18. My bank account was up and down every week, every month. Sometimes scraping up change for gas money. Of course back then I made $3.00 an hour but everything was cheaper.
    Oh, wait a second. I'm now a father with teenage kids and can honestly say my bank account still goes south first week of the month. Mortgage and bills week!

It's true though!

#198 2 years ago

This topic title should be changed to " NaNa needs a sump pump/French drainand I keep my large collection there for free so donate to my fund."
    I refuse to sell any of my precious machines and plan to buy more so please help me and donate.

#199 2 years ago

OP, please let this be a positive lesson to learn from in the future. Establish a rainy-day / emergency fund as soon as this current situation passes. AKA have a bank account with a balance at or above 4 digits in it. Do it now. Best of luck.

#200 2 years ago

just so i am not accused of making things up.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-do-you-do-for-a-living#post-3651808

20170407_182808 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 7,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 49.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 159.00
    Displays
    GermanGamingSupplies.com
    $ 40.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Forever
    $ 19.99
    $ 20.00
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside