Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 399 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

227a00812146e698f1bf0bfd95ecfc4706af4b69 (resized).jpeg
    Website-Header (resized).jpg
    CeESJVeXIAAsplI (resized).jpg
    Conspiracy-theorist-wearing-tinfoil-hat-stares-at-his-computer-Shutterstock-800x430 (resized).png
    u0n9rzS.jpg
    IMG_0579 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0384 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0430 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9116 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9115 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9118 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9114 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9112 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9111 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9110 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9109 (resized).PNG
    There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
    #101 7 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

This is COMPLETELY uncalled for! I'm so upset with this response.
    otaku needs cash, not machines.
    I'll buy that Escalera for $50.
    Marcus

Quoted from Colsond3:

Come on now guys...I'll be glad to come up tomorrow and help you move the games, and I'll drop the Escalera back off to beelze on the way home.

Buncha dicks on this site.

#102 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Buncha dicks on this site.

Your favorite Okay, that's mean Otaku LOL

Pardon my godawful sense of humor... If there's anybody I should be extra nice to it should be you but I simply couldn't resist.

#103 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

If there's anybody I should be extra nice to it should be you but I simply couldn't resist.

Don't.

You start being nice to him and then we'll all have to start being nice to him. And then we'll have anarchy.

LTG : )

#104 7 years ago

Otaku,

I'm just getting into the hobby and I applaud your efforts. I don't want to be a Debbie downer and want to keep this positive. I would help if I could but it's a long drive from Texas. I got the bug too and you're very ambitious. Sometimes you have to sell something when things go bad. Sounds like there are folks here willing to help AND sell back to you. Take them up on the offer and you will gain much respect. As a matter of fact I respect what you're trying to do now, but you need to take it to the next level. sometimes you have to do the unthinkable to make it work. You will get to where you want to be but sometimes it can be painful. Sincerely wish the best....

#105 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Your favorite Okay, that's mean Otaku LOL
    Pardon my godawful sense of humor... If there's anybody I should be extra nice to it should be you but I simply couldn't resist.

You haven't seen the Bash Beelzeboob threads, have you? You can pretty much kick me in the nuts and I can take it. No worries.

Quoted from LTG:

Don't.
    You start being nice to him and then we'll all have to start being nice to him. And then we'll have anarchy.

Beelzeboob: Pinside's Bitch.

#106 7 years ago

I think a lot of this has to do with age and expectations. A majority of us are somewhat older. We have bills and responsibilities. Our pinball purchases are from spending money after our obligations - including savings and retirement are taken care of. We have forgotten what it was like to be 17/18 without those same responsibilities. Through our lives, we understand risk. You are still young and invincible - we all felt that way. You just got one of your first real shocks in life. Some get it and are lending a hand. Others may see it as not allowing you to understand one of life's lessons.

If you would have said "I'll sell whatever and rebuild after securing my family's home" I think you would have had universal respect and more support. By not doing that some are questioning your motives. I'll take the high road and say that came from age and lack of experience. Only time will tell who is right. My money is on you.

#107 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

You can pretty much kick me in the nuts and I can take it. No worries.

Well, if you actually had nuts, it would hurt.

#108 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Whatever you say man...

Look Otaku, I don't have anything against you. I think it's great that someone of your age is into pinball, and you're obviously smarter than your piers if you can bring these old games back to life. I usually don't get in the middle of pinside drama, but I'm drinking tonight - so that's that. Anyway, at first, I only responded to Ted's comment that 'it never hurts to ask' - because that phrase is mostly true - except if you're asking for other people's $$.

Try to see it from an old guys perspective. You've got this kid (ok, young adult) living with his parents in an apartment, who uses his grandparents basement to house his substantial pinball collection. BTW, that house may be in need of repairs. Do you pay rent? ....help them out in any way? Well sure enough, it floods, and your primary concern is your hobby - your precious machines you've spent so many hours inside. Asking your mom to help move machines? ...did I read that? How 'bout you step up and help your parents/grandparents with their problems before worrying about your pinball machines.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Some of the people on this forum just amaze me I tell ya. I have never been on a forum where there are so many rude and arrogant people. There are lots of great people here also and you know who you are but man some of you people on here just suck. I thought the HD forums were full of arrogant azz holes, that place is nothing compared to here. I didn't expect this on a pinball forum even a little bit. Nobody here believes in working for what you get more than I do I guarantee it. I work my ass off for the things that I have and I hate people looking for a handout also but this guy here though is in an emergency situation and freaking out because his pinball machines that he loves more than anything is about to get ruined and he needs some F'ing help fast! If he was asking for money for something that was a non emergency then I'd probably tell him to go get a job myself.

An EMERGENCY? We are talking about pinball machines here, right?

#109 7 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

BTW, that house may be in need of repairs. Do you pay rent? ....help them out in any way? Well sure enough, it floods, and your primary concern is your hobby - your precious machines you've spent so many hours inside. Asking your mom to help move machines? ...did I read that? How 'bout you step up and help your parents/grandparents with their problems before worrying about your pinball machines.

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Look Otaku, I don't have anything against you. I think it's great that someone of your age is into pinball, and you're obviously smarter than your piers if you can bring these old games back to life. I usually don't get in the middle of pinside drama, but I'm drinking tonight - so that's that. Anyway, at first, I only responded to Ted's comment that 'it never hurts to ask' - because that phrase is mostly true - except if you're asking for other people's $$.
    Try to see it from an old guys perspective. You've got this kid (ok, young adult) living with his parents in an apartment, who uses his grandparents basement to house his substantial pinball collection. BTW, that house may be in need of repairs. Do you pay rent? ....help them out in any way? Well sure enough, it floods, and your primary concern is your hobby - your precious machines you've spent so many hours inside. Asking your mom to help move machines? ...did I read that? How 'bout you step up and help your parents/grandparents with their problems before worrying about your pinball machines.

Yeah I said emergency. If my basement is flooding and getting ready to wipe out my collection, that is a situation that requires an immediate response....therefore making it an emergency situation. Emergencies don't have to be a life or death situation. You said "I normally wouldn't have even got in the middle of this but .....I've been drinking tonight"

I guess that explains why your being such a Dick. Sounds like maybe you had a little too much to drink there Otis?

Also this kids personal life is none of your business whatsoever. It doesn't matter if he has a job, it doesn't matter if he lives at home and pays rent, none of that is your concern.

#111 7 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Yeah man -- we're all a bunch of pinheads on here last time I checked so Imminent water damage to machines-- F Yeah it's an f'n EMERGENCY !!! haha

#112 7 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

I think you are dabbling a bit too much into my personal life and on top of that you're making assumptions and getting them wrong. I don't NEED to explain it to you and won't but I figure I'll dabble in a little before your comments gather alike minds:

Living at home? Well yes, I'm 18. I can detail my life further but no thanks

Uses grandparents basement? Yes. Except it's not just that, I cleaned out all of the junk that was down there for years upon years with nothing new being added, it was basically an unused space. Also removed all of the bird construction mentioned in the first post that was built into the house. The house had gotten a really bad batch of mice due to all of the birdseed probably 12 years ago now and that mixed with the occasional water getting in it was in a bad dirty state and also black mold was occuring, and at the time it was a large concern to my family and also the work they would have to do when one day selling the house. So I went in and eliminated it all for them (without being asked), taking down all of the wooden and wire mesh bird cages (deconstruction rather; these were basically little rooms built into the house you could stand in), cleaning up all of the mouse feces and the occasional mouse skeleton (eugh), and even went as far as taking a custom wall my late grandfather built down as it was moldy and no longer needed. (He did some GREAT work too - not easy stuff to take down! Really made me respect the work) Today they don't have to worry about it anymore and I have great gameroom space and to me both are gratifying and I worked hard and mostly alone for it over the course of several months. I also did the exact same thing with the garage which was unused and filled with old junk to use for housing my arcade collection under similar cirumstances. I worked for what I have, and not just the machines either. I don't own the space, no, but by working hard and helping my family the feeling of my collection being okay is mutual.

House needs repairs? Not necessarily (besides water issue), but thanks for asking... I did however install carbon monoxide alarms and LED lighting whenever a bulb burns out (not one for "shotgunning" bulbs) off of my own wallet though during my stays here as well as other occasional repairs to make sure things are safe and upkept for everybody who stays here.

There are other reasons why I am here so much that serve a functional purpose (even if it's secondary) but I've answered everything I felt comfortable answering, simply because I felt like it.

Sometimes things are not as they appear!

#113 7 years ago

I do appreciate the nice comments you made though but I think you got me all wrong SunKing.

Also, yes I consider it a large emergency. Either because I love these machines dearly or because the amount of money and time I spent on them, take your pick. Since you don't care though let me know if you ever want to send Alien over this way for a swim, I'd love to have something to play in the gameroom while all my machines are stored awaiting the basement to get fixed.

#114 7 years ago

I'm on the west coast 3000 miles away or I'd be over in a heartbeat carrying that shit up the stairs on my back. One after another.

I feel blessed on my raised foundation that the worst thing that can happen is a fire or Earthshaker setting off the big one.

Best I can do to help is get this down to the post office tomorrow and hopefully it can get there by Sunday.

th (resized).jpgth (resized).jpg

#115 7 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah I said emergency. If my basement is flooding and getting ready to wipe out my collection, that is a situation that requires an immediate response....therefore making it an emergency situation. Emergencies don't have to be a life or death situation. You said "I normally wouldn't have even got in the middle of this but .....I've been drinking tonight"
    I guess that explains why your being such a Dick. Sounds like maybe you had a little too much to drink there Otis?
    Also this kids personal life is none of your business whatsoever. It doesn't matter if he has a job, it doesn't matter if he lives at home and pays rent, none of that is your concern.

Wow Who-Dey if you care so much I hope you make a huge donation and end Otaku worries.

I honestly don't know why anyone cares about your personal situation, but the grown up thing to do is "sell" a machine and cover your unexpected expenses, especially if they will sell it back to you. I know if I was closer I would do that deal in a heartbeat just so I could try a game out for a couple weeks and you would have some cash.

#116 7 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Wow who-dey if you care so much I hope you make a huge donation and end otaku worries.
    I honestly don't know why anyone cares about your personal situation, but the grown up thing to do is "sell" a machine and cover your unexpected expenses, especially if they will sell it back to you. I know if I was closer I would do that deal in a heartbeat just so I could try a game out for a couple weeks and you would have some cash.

Don't worry about whether I donate or not or how much it is. That's absolutely none of your business. This isn't even about whether or not he gets any help or not, its about the people like yourself that make pinside suck because of the attitudes like yours on here. Stop chasing me around these forums like a little girl. You're annoying as hell, kinda like a dog peter gnat actually.

#117 7 years ago

Bummer about the flood Otaku, sounds like you are moving forward and I bet it isn't quite the panic for you that the initial shock was. Can you turn off the power, unplug the games and put some 2x4 blocks under the legs of the games as a temporary measure to get them out of the wet? If I had that many games running in a flood prone basement I'd be a little concerned of the possibility of getting electrocuted. I get that your concerned about the games but please be careful in the hazardous environment that moisture creates in a confined space.

#118 7 years ago

Sincerely wanted to help you out yesterday Otaku, but I was booked solid with work, and had my appointment with my tax guy thereafter. And after I found out how much I owe I think I should ask for donations. I kid.

I've delt with floods. No fun, and no time to be bashful about asking for help. We get it, you love your pins, we love our pins, and we're not likely to sacrifice them easily. Those that were quick to judge you are on my "I'll remember you asshole" list.

I might be available to help out moving tonight after work or over the weekend. I'll shoot you a PM.

Regards,

Brian

#119 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Also, right now I hope to not sell any games, and especially right now as I don't have the time for that. I am not trying to be stingy but after spending many hours inside of each of them I get really attached. Instead of buying any game I can get my hands on to flip I only try to buy what I want to keep for many years which is why I don't usually sell games. That probably sounds stupid but I hope people can understand. I will be working hard in other ways to help get money to get this pump installed.

Posting your PayPal address and asking for handouts is hard work now?

Sorry for your bad luck, but this is about the lamest post I have read on Pinside. I can understand asking for manpower, but asking for cash to fix up your basement..lame and being open about not wanting to sell one of your 29 pins to fund it. That's begging to me.

I consider pins to be a liquid asset. Locally I can sell any of my games in less then a day if they are priced fairly. Im a compassionate person, but not a sucker. Maybe the same people that donated can give to that guy that had his IPad stolen from the arcade and wanted Pinsider to fund the replacement.

There you go Sunking, I'll take the title of Pinsides "Dick of the Week" award now.

#120 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Sincerely wanted to help you out today yesterday Otaku, but I was booked solid with work, and had my appointment with my tax guy thereafter. And after I found out how much I owe I think I should ask for donations. I kid.
    I've delt with floods. No fun, and no time to be bashful about asking for help. We get it, you love your pins, we love our pins, and we're not likely to sacrifice them easily. Those that were quick to judge you are on my "I'll remember you asshole" list.
    I might be available to help out moving tonight after work or over the weekend. I'll shoot you a PM.
    Regards,
    Brian

Yeah and you can put Tacshose (Mr. I want to screw my fellow pinheads for 10k for my NIB Ghostbusters LE) on the top of that list because he's the biggest Douche on Pinside! He's worried about this kid scamming people out of a few dollars and he pulled that stunt there. Hypocrite much there Tacshose?

#121 7 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/5-gallon-craftsman-shopvac-1299

If you need a shop vac to help suck up water, there's a 5 gallon shop vac for $12.99 at kmart.

#122 7 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

your profile shows that you have 29 machines? sell some to finance the needed repairs instead of asking for "donations"
    you are asking for money because you don't want to spend the money you have.

Quoted from boilerman:

then he should be asking for a loan until he could sell a few machines.

his immediate problem is drainage issues. they can not be fixed in a day or two.

I do hope you can get the situation under control but I would think that the only way you will get enough money to do what is really needed to the basement is to sell some machines. I've waterproofed my basement from the outside and it isn't cheap - nor is it that cheap on inside either (which I believe isn't the right way to waterproof a home).

#123 7 years ago

Otaku,

Don't let the haters here get you down - do what you need to do and don't worry about trying to explain things to the people who will never get it - I have been down that path here on Pinside more than once and it just isn't worth the energy!

To anyone with something negative to say I say this: You are forgetting what it was like to be 18 years old. At that age we all had plenty to learn. You are also forgetting this guy is just trying to "save his babies". Yes he could likely be doing things better ways but give him a break. He has been in the hobby a couple years without flipping machines for a profit - loves his machines - and is trying to protect them.

Otaku - it sounds like you are well on the way to getting everything moved upstairs - best of luck to you. Once you get those machines moved you might want to take back doors off the heads & open the coin doors to let dry air move around and dry them out some. It might even be a good idea to run fans in the rooms you are moving machines into just to keep air moving. If I was closer I would gladly give you a hand but for now all I can do is give you advice and that advice is - don't worry about the negative people here on Pinside.

Again - best of luck!

#124 7 years ago

Thanks all for the replies. Got a few more wedgeheads upstairs early this morning. Looks like the forecast is looking a little better so I am going to take a well needed break besides the occasional vacuuming for water that is still coming in and the dehumidifier getting a work out. As of right now after a ton of work I'm only getting slight leakage and puddles and there is no more like large puddle of terror. Still no reason to slow down but I think if I don't take a small break I'm gonna croak faster than them.

That being said, let's do Saturday at 2 PM. I can't imagine needing many hands all at once but whoever wants to come hang out, eat lunch, talk shop, and lift the spirits is welcome to come by. Just don't blame me if you don't get to break your back! Although I am sure a lot of guys will be done after 2 or 3 so maybe the more the merrier, I realize I am a little gifted in the agile department.

Shoot me a PM if you would like to come by. Refreshments and pizza will be in order for 3 PM, I'll dig my last $20 out of the junk drawer for it. Looking forward to meeting people. Sad it wasn't for a real and normal pinball party with 30 machines ringing away but of course everybody is always welcome back for the reopening celebration when all is said and done.

#125 7 years ago

Time for some real sleep this time but I'll respond to PMs this afternoon. Thanks so much again. Seeing a slightly dry floor is encouraging but the battle is not over yet!

Steven

#126 7 years ago

Asking for help moving the machines is completely fine in my opinion but asking for donations is ridiculous!!!
    If you can't afford to maintain the dwelling that houses your large collection, It SCREAMS only one thing!
    That you are entirely overextended.
    Being a young collector is no excuse! Life is full of unexpected nightmares like this and you won't be able to count on anyone but YOURSELF to resolve them!!!
    Either find a safer location to store your pins or SELL what you need to in order to make the current location safe!
    Young man,It's time to grow up and act like an adult not ask for handouts!

#127 7 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Asking for help moving the machines is completely fine in my opinion but asking for donations is ridiculous!!!
    If you can't afford to maintain the dwelling that houses your large collection, It SCREAMS only one thing!
    That you are entirely overextended.
    Being a young collector is no excuse! Life is full of unexpected nightmares like this and you won't be able to count on anyone but YOURSELF to resolve them!!!
    Either find a safer location to store your pins or SELL what you need to in order to make the current location safe!
    Young man,It's time to grow up and act like an adult not ask for handouts!

Completely agree with this. It's ok to ask for help moving things but asking for money is a little to much.

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad what happened to you but selling a machine to someone with the rights to buy it back later for the same price seems like a better way to get money. Think of it as a no interest loan. And if you never get to paying them back it's ok because they have the equivalent of it in a machine.

And to everyone who helps this young man I admire you. And I'm sure if any of you need help Otaku will be right there lending a hand

#128 7 years ago

wondering if this would not be a more serious case of a cracked foundation or clogged weeping tile? Not that I want to put more pressure on this poor guy but it would probably be safe to check out to eliminate that angle.

#129 7 years ago

So, we have people on this forum competing to be "Dick of the Week". What a noble aspiration.

#130 7 years ago

Damn wheres that popcorn gif...

#131 7 years ago
    Quoted from wschaub:

So, we have people on this forum competing to be "Dick of the Week". What a noble aspiration.

I'm Not trying to be pinside dick of the week but asking for donations is just WRONG!!!
    This isn't a boys and girls club or a nonprofit collection/ location(which would change everything), it's a private individual/private location. He's 18 so he is an adult, like it or not. Please see my post on page two explaining some of the major dos and donts of basement use/storage/maintenance.
    I have 30 years construction experience and from what has been described, this water issue will cost at least $3000-5000 minimum to begin addressing. Either sell some machines or find a new location.
    What's he gonna do if his car breaks down tomorrow???29 pins and no car BUT he really doesn't want to sell any machines.It has nothing to do with what he wants to do it's about what he NEEDS to do! All "functioning"adults face dilemmas like this every once and a while. Asking for donations is NOT the solution!

#132 7 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I'm Not trying to be pinside dick of the week but asking for donations is just WRONG!!!
    This isn't a boys and girls club or a nonprofit collection/ location(which would change everything), it's a private individual/private location. He's 18 so he is an adult, like it or not. Please see my post on page two explaining some of the major dos and donts of basement use/storage/maintenance.
    I have 30 years construction experience and from what has been described, this water issue will cost at least $3000-5000 minimum to begin addressing. Either sell some machines or find a new location.
    What's he gonna do if his car breaks down tomorrow???29 pins and no car BUT he really doesn't want to sell any machines.It has nothing to do with what he wants to do it's about what he NEEDS to do! All "functioning"adults face dilemmas like this every once and a while. Asking for donations is NOT the solution!

I think part of the point everyone is missing here is it is not his house. He is storing his machine in has families basement and had an unexpected flooding issue. Just remember back to when you were "young & dumb" and look at things like you would a few months after you got out of high school.

I didn't read every post but from the post I did read it looks like his biggest concern was getting his machines out of harms way. He didn't ask anyone to pay to repair the house from what I was reading?

#133 7 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Just remember back to when you were "young & dumb" and look at things like you would a few months after you got out of high school.

I wish I could go back to when I was young and dumb. Alot more fun not having so many responsibilities and living life in the moment.

#134 7 years ago

I sent you some funds via paypal to help pay for pizza and soda
    for those that can and choose to help in bailing you out with some muscle.

Hopefully you will pay it forward
    when you are back on your feet on dry land.
    Love your passion for pinball,
    but also can see where some old grumpy guys
    might be a bit annoyed with you.
    (like an eager puppy)
    cheers and good luck

#135 7 years ago

I just sent $1 for every dickish comment I read. But DON'T waste the money on pizza and soda! Anyone showing up to help can eat lunch first and bring a bottle of water with them for hydration. I haven't lived in NJ for 11 years (thank god) but I'd be stopping by to help if I still did.

#136 7 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

You said "I normally wouldn't have even got in the middle of this but .....I've been drinking tonight"

You're right, I did have a little too much to drink last night. Now that I've sobered up and given it some more thought..... I still feel the same. Oh, and thanks for the personal attack there 'Dick'.

He didn't ask anyone to pay to repair the house from what I was reading?

Quoted from Otaku:

If you would like to help contribute to the sump pump fund (my bank is nearly at 0, I didn't realize how expensive dehumidifiers were) my PayPal is [email protected]

#137 7 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I just sent $1 for every dickish comment I read. But DON'T waste the money on pizza and soda! Anyone showing up to help can eat lunch first and bring a bottle of water with them for hydration. I haven't lived in NJ for 11 years (thank god) but I'd be stopping by to help if I still did.

Wow, you must have sent the kid a wad of cash... I understand his situation as best I can and asking for assistance in getting his pins out of harms way is perfectly fine. Heck if I had the same issue I might ask for help too! Wife and I can't move a pins by ourselves. However if he needs cash and has 29 pins he should consider the offers to buy them and sell them back to him when he get's his situation resolved. That offer is a deal that is hard to beat.

Good luck kid and no matter what anyone here says we hope you save your collection and cheer for you on the sidelines as there are a lot of us just too far away to assist.

#138 7 years ago

I'm hoping you get all the help and support you are looking for and get through this situation. No one deserves that, and you are still very young. Being 25, I can relate to a recent time where I didn't financially have much to stand on. I respect your collection and your ability to collect while not having money to toss around.

Im also hoping you learn a key life lesson in saving money instead of acquiring a plethora of machines that are very much a luxury item. I know you don't put much fiscally into each machine, and have to pass on many, but you have over a couple thousand dollars in them I'm sure. This is what some of the people have a problem with. You aren't willing to sell machines, but you are willing to ask for handouts. I get you did it as an after thought, but you still did it. You're not willing to give up something you want / love (your machines), but you're willing to ask people to give up something they want /love (money) to help you.

If you would have maybe skipped on 15 or so machines, you would have a couple thousand dollars of cushion and still had 15 machines.

I would have bought a machine and shipped it out to MN to help you out, PayPal the money immediately and you being able to ship it when you find the time. What is rubbing people the wrong way is you saying you are in an "emergency" but not willing to do whatever it takes to get out of the emergency.

I do hope you get everything taken care of. You have a pretty solid head on your shoulders for being 18, just keep your head up.

#139 7 years ago

I'm not sure if it's right or wrong to ask for donations but he is only 18. He sounds like a good kid. He's in a hobby we all love and is reaching out to fellow pin heads. If I could help with the physical part I would, but since I won't be around, I'll donate some money in hopes it gets him out of his current jam. Good luck Otaku

#140 7 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Well if you continue to keep this donation going this kid just hit the lottery and will be rich!

#141 7 years ago
    Quoted from Barkz:

What is rubbing people the wrong way is you saying you are in an "emergency" but not willing to do whatever it takes to get out of the emergency.
    I do hope you get everything taken care of. You have a pretty solid head on your shoulders for being 18, just keep your head up.

Willing to do what ever it takes = Hey guys my basement is flooding and need cash quick so I am forced to sell a few machines to pay for repairs of the house. Yes this would be the correct statement that some people feel should have been made. The cold hard truth bites sometimes. But since I have experienced the exact same thing he is going through. The last thing you want to worry about is selling a game. As soon as you say you need to sell. First the flippers will bomb you with lowball "take my quick cash now" offers then the regular buyers will want pictures of everything. It would be a complete nightmare. <--again speaking from past experience. And all us older guys know damn well it would happen that way.
    Don't personally know him other then chatting on pinside but seams like a good kid trying to make his dent in the pinball community. I'm sure once things settle down he'll probably realize he is going to have to sell a few games to finish the work. This isn't going to be a couple hundred dollar adventure or a 3 hour tour.

#142 7 years ago

Time is money, money is time. Why is it okay for Otaku to humbly ask for one form of help and not the other? Like spending 2 hours of labor is noble and respectful but a ten dollar PayPal donation is trashy. No, just no. They are interchangeable.

Also it seems like all the people criticizing Otaku just sound like grumpy Dads trying to use this as a teachable moment about how life treats everyone like shit.

These threads are great for building up my ignore list.

Better luck in the future and hope you get to build your museum someday Otaku!

#143 7 years ago

I think one point most negative posters are missing is - this is not his house - it is a family members house that he has his pins in. The young guy has some learning to do but all of us had a lot to learn when we were 18 years old. I am 62 pushing 63 and I have rarely ever asked anyone for any help. But sometimes when you are backed into a corner or in a jam asking for a little help isn't a bad idea.

He is not asking for anyone to fund his next machine - he is not asking for anyone to fix his families basement - he is just asking for some help getting machines out of harms way. At my age I would be doing things differently than he is but at 18 I likely would have done the same thing. I remember walking a good many times when I was younger and ran out of gas. Not because I wanted to walk but because I typically didn't have the cash to fill the tank. I remember one week I ran out of gas 3 different times and had to walk home all 3 times - grab the lawn mower gas and walk back to rescue my pick-up from the side of the highway.

Again - think back to the "young & dumb days" before bashing this guy!

#144 7 years ago

he is not asking for anyone to fix his families basement - he is just asking for some help getting machines out of harms way.

Really?

Quoted from Otaku:

If you would like to help contribute to the sump pump fund (my bank is nearly at 0, I didn't realize how expensive dehumidifiers were) my PayPal is [email protected]

#145 7 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah I said emergency. If my basement is flooding and getting ready to wipe out my collection, that is a situation that requires an immediate response....therefore making it an emergency situation. Emergencies don't have to be a life or death situation.

A little water on the floor is not going to wipe out a collection. Get games on legs or pallets, vacuum the water, run a dehumidifier, etc. I'm sure this is not the first time those EMs have been in a damp room. After the weather passes, figure out long term solution to wetness. None of that needs a gofundme or monetary handout. Asking for physical help moving the games is just part of the hobby, no problem there, but the monetary thing is a bit much considering the situation.

#146 7 years ago

Sorry to hear about the water problems. Sent a few bucks your way Steven. Good luck with the moving and clean-up.

-Jeff

#147 7 years ago

Just curious how much you have received in donations so far. Many generous pinsiders on here.

#148 7 years ago

Sent you some cash Steven. I know Steven and he is a stand up real nice individual. For those who made negative comments, you suck. This is a community and anyway we can help each other is what brings us together. Sure we have different opinions of games and poke fun at one another but we all have the same interest. Lets see how you feel with your games under water and what you would do in a pinch with limited resources for all you negative nelly dick dogs....

#149 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Just curious how much you have received in donations so far. Many generous pinsiders on here.

I really don't think that is anyone's business but I see no reason Steven shouldn't post that figure if he wants to. Hopefully if he gets more money in than is needed to solve his short term issues he will pay it forward and not use that excess money to buy another pinball machine. Over the years I have learned giving is better than receiving and when you do the right thing it always seems to come back to you in a big way.

In any event good luck with the clean up!

#150 7 years ago

Look really sorry to hear about your situation. Where is your family to help with money or labor in all this? Take out a loan on your games your family members cars, house, etc... Sounds like you and people close to you have collateral use it. If I was closer I would be right there to help, but asking for money seems a little bad form to me. Life kicks you in the teeth several times. Hey I worked for a company for 8 years and on march 17th closed there doors and laid me off. I support my wife and two small kids, but I'm not asking for money. Instead I raised my credit limits to go deep in debt to climb out one day instead of being able to buy a pin I will be trying to climb out of this hole. Sometimes you have to do what you need to do not what you want to do. Sorry again to hear about your bad luck, but if this the worst thing that ever happens to you then you are a lucky man. I hope no one takes this as being a dick, but there are bigger problems life will give you. You will get more personal growth from fixing this yourself than having others fix whatever bumps life will give you. Wait till you have your kids looking at you for help not objects. I wish you the best of luck.

There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sos-in-nj-help-needed-after-flood/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.