Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 399 posts
  • 108 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

227a00812146e698f1bf0bfd95ecfc4706af4b69 (resized).jpeg
    Website-Header (resized).jpg
    CeESJVeXIAAsplI (resized).jpg
    Conspiracy-theorist-wearing-tinfoil-hat-stares-at-his-computer-Shutterstock-800x430 (resized).png
    u0n9rzS.jpg
    IMG_0579 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0384 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0430 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9116 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9115 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9118 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9114 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9112 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9111 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9110 (resized).PNG
    IMG_9109 (resized).PNG
    There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

Well my mind is blown by the reaction to my posts. I I guess I was raised differently.
    "You want something? Work hard to earn it."

Big difference between "I want a Bat66, but don't have the cash, can you guys buy one for me?" And "please help, my basement is flooding--right *now*"

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Big difference between "I want a Bat66, but don't have the cash

Bat Otak (resized).jpgBat Otak (resized).jpg

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Really. Who the hell would live in Tennessee? Grab a bottle of Jack, a giant-assed plate of BBQ, and get the hell out of there!

You can buy jack anywhere, just grab the ribs.

#54 7 years ago

I hope the OP gets the help he needs. Never meant to get personal, just more in general of people asking for handouts before exhausting all options. I understand this is a different situation. I'll see myself out.

#55 7 years ago

Sorry to hear about your water troubles. I have been there before and moisture and pins don't mix. I have a spare dehumidifier I can give you if that helps.

#56 7 years ago

Hey, if you need it fixed....
    http://www.aridbasementwaterproofing.com/

Mention Charles Evans and ask for Pat.

Does your Home Owner Insurance cover this?

#57 7 years ago

Good luck with the basement disaster but asking for money is plain wrong. You grown up right ?

Sorry but every ones seems to need a hand out these days for unimportant stuff.

Just my two cents

I always donate money to folks who get stuck with life's problems
    And this is not one.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Big difference between "I want a Bat66, but don't have the cash, can you guys buy one for me?" And "please help, my basement is flooding--right *now*"

Honestly his first option should have been to ask for help and funds to move all games to a dry storage unit. this is the most direct plan of action to help with his games. Most are about $80 to $125 a month and give new renters a pay 2 months and get third month free. A large size unit will hold all the games and they would be out of the damp basement. This would have been and was the first move I did when it happened to me. They could all be moved in a day. Then when the pins were safe he could pursue getting a sump pump and basement water proofed.

#59 7 years ago

Wow thank you all so much for the very generous support - I am truly speechless. It's pouring out right now and flooding is all over the news so we had no time to waste, and my Mom, bless her soul, just helped me move two games out of the basement into the dining room and more to come. Don't tell Grandma but we took her dining room table apart and put it in storage...

Is anybody free tomorrow? I'm thinking of just kind of opening the doors, ordering a few pizzas and some sodas, and getting what we can done to anybody who wants to show up. Right now we were just focused on getting some games up from the dry area so the games in the most vulnerable spots can be moved to those (dry corner is easier to get to) but I think at this point if I am going to need this french drain installed I guess everything has to get out of there, even if they can be worked around I don't think it is a good idea for the games to be around a bunch of jackhammers and whatnot.

Let me know if tomorrow works for anybody. Let's say 12 noon? Saturday is probably better for people's schedules but I think I better try my luck on Friday than wait around.

Also, right now I hope to not sell any games, and especially right now as I don't have the time for that. I am not trying to be stingy but after spending many hours inside of each of them I get really attached. Instead of buying any game I can get my hands on to flip I only try to buy what I want to keep for many years which is why I don't usually sell games. That probably sounds stupid but I hope people can understand. I will be working hard in other ways to help get money to get this pump installed.

Thank you all again for the very generous support. At the end of all this once I recover some money I would like to make a charitable donation to show my thanks.

Steven

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Honestly his first option should have been to ask for help and funds to move all games to a dry storage unit. this is the most direct plan of action to help with his games. Most are about $80 to $125 a month and give new renters a pay 2 months and get third month free. A large size unit will hold all the games and they would be out of the damp basement. This would have been and was the first move I did when it happened to me. They could all be moved in a day. Then when the pins were safe he could pursue getting a sump pump and basement water proofed.

I have the space upstairs for until we get it done. My grandma stays with my aunt most of the time due to age, so don't tell her about the missing dining room table. Nah, but they'll be fine and understanding - and my mom is onboard of course. Hopefully this will be quick and the games can "return home" soon enough.

#61 7 years ago

Progress (Typical grandma china cabinet in the background for scale)

IMG_9053 (resized).PNGIMG_9053 (resized).PNG

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

..and "No harm in asking."

For money? That's called begging. Yeah I'm old, but it's something that was frowned upon ...was...

EDIT: I'm all for helping a fellow pinhead, and I do hope everything turn out OK, but sorry ...I just feel the way I do.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Normally you need a "sump pump rider". I pay 75 bucks a year for mine. It gives me $10000 of coverage. Without it $0 coverage.
    Here are some rules of basement storage forAnything you remotely care about:
    1) never Ever put anything directly on the concrete floor if it can be damaged by moisture/water. Use A pallet /etc.
    2) maintain your sump pump. Check it a few times a year.
    If it pumps often, replace it every 7 years or better yet keep an extra as a back up.
    3) extend all roof drains and sump pump as far as possible from your home.
    4) get a battery back up sump pump. Not the crap Depot sells, get it from a plumbing supply house and demand a Deep cycle Marine/Rv battery not the shite ones you have to "maintain"and add distilled water to periodically.
    5) if you travel often and have an alarm system get a moisture sensor installed.
    6) if you don't have a portable generator or a whole home generator you can get still get hosed if there is a long term power outage. Think hard before you put precious things in a bsmt.
    7) redundancy is the key, I install TWO sump pump pits with an internal French drain in every home I'm building if the buyers plan to finish the basement. If I finish the basement I add the second pump (on a separate electric circuit than the other) into my price and recommend a backup in writing. If one of the pump fails the other keeps pumping!and if that one fails the battery back up keeps pumping!!!

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

For money? That's called begging. Yeah I'm old, but it's something that was frowned upon ...was...
    EDIT: I'm all for helping a fellow pinhead, and I do hope everything turn out OK, but sorry ...I just feel the way I do.

I understand this point of view and certainly do not like asking for help, especially money. I'm not going to respond to these kinds of posts because I'm slammed with being busy as it is but I just wanted to say: I put the e-mail there and anybody who wants to chip in is welcome to. I am not being a soup beggar or reaching out to anybody in particular, just an e-mail in a post and the rest from there is done by people who want to help out.

Thanks

I also appreciate the offers of manpower and especially Boob's Escelera, which will be a major physical help in at least getting the games to safety with ease and without worry.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I think at this point if I am going to need this french drain installed I guess everything has to get out of there, even if they can be worked around I don't think it is a good idea for the games to be around a bunch of jackhammers and whatnot.

Exactly, Every game must come out and the basement needs to be done right. This is why I said your first step should have been to take them to storage. Even the games you have in your dry area are under heavy humidity. Even with running a humidifier. I'm saying this from experience. If your able to put them upstairs that works also. Glad to hear it. Your basement will probably need french drains, walls dry-locked and an epoxy coating on the floor. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it the second time. Good luck with it all.

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Exactly, Every game must come out and the basement needs to be done right. This is why I said your first step should have been to take them to storage. Even the games you have in your dry area are under heavy humidity. Even with running a humidifier. I'm saying this from experience. If your able to put them upstairs that works also. Glad to hear it. Your basement will probably need french drains, walls dry-locked and an epoxy coating on the floor. Do it right the first time and you won't have to do it the second time. Good luck with it all.

Great advice. Thank you.

#67 7 years ago

i lost thousands in a basement flood once. I had insurance. If you plan on putting the pins back down there (bad idea imo) get insurance. although uns does not necessarily replace the pins! keep plugging away it will all work out. Keep us posted on the final outcome for more available resources.

#68 7 years ago

Is this the Help the Children and win a Stern thread?
    I kid, I kid. While most 18 yr olds are busy playin grab ass (can't blame em) or learning how to roll a joint (again can't blame em) this kid is knee deep in bringing a 4 Roses back to life. He's like Pinsides son, and we all love our kids. I like ya kid, and even though us old men despise hand-outs, this isn't. It's one of our own, hating to have to ask for help. Can't send a bunch, but use my $15 wisely. Like a Jersey hooker. Do whatever ya want with the remaining $5. Good luck Steve. It'll get better, it always does.

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from Grizlyrig:

He has assets but not liquid cash,

Sounds like some of his machines have become "liquidated".

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sounds like some of his machines have become "liquidated".

Ha.
    Ha.

#71 7 years ago

Sorry to hear about your water issue. Basements with Block walls without engineered drainaged systems many feet below the footings will eventually leak. Good luck with a better location.

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

my bank is nearly at 0

Quoted from robin:

I'm throwing in 50 bucks to get started!

Quoted from Otaku:

ordering a few pizzas and some sodas

i'll kick in another $20 for the beer!

#73 7 years ago

In this hobby you can throw that old saying "saving my money for a rainy day" right out the window.

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Also, right now I hope to not sell any games, and especially right now as I don't have the time for that.
    Steven

You already have an open offer to sell a game to a Pinsider but you don't have the time for that? You do however have the time to make several posts and beg for money. So really, its I don't want to sell I just want hand-outs.

If you have $0 dollars in your account, you shouldn't have 29 pins.

Sell one for $500 and fix your problem, than buy it back if you want.

Sorry about your situation but your going about it the wrong way, the selfish way.

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

You already have an open offer to sell a game to a Pinsider but you don't have the time for that? You do however have the time to make several posts and beg for money. So really, its I don't want to sell I just want hand-outs.
    If you have $0 dollars in your account, you shouldn't have 29 pins.
    Sell one for $500 and fix your problem, than buy it back if you want.
    Sorry about your situation but your going about it the wrong way, the selfish way.

You are not in my situation or shoes so I cannot expect you to understand.

Anyways, I started this thread more for getting some helping hands in person and threw the PayPal in as a side-thought but I can see how there are many Pinsiders more who AREN'T close enough to do that and want to help out some other way.

Anyhow, picking up Boob's generous offer of letting me borrow his Escalera (one day I'll figure out how to spell it consistently!) tonight. Got my working hands on for tomorrow.

#76 7 years ago

What is your homeowners insurance company saying about all this?

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I will have to look into it. I will give them a call. I'm assuming Charles is you. Thanks a lot!

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What is your homeowners insurance company saying about all this?

We're looking into that as well

#79 7 years ago

Nice to see the sympathy and discouraging to see the lack of the same on here. Is owning a pinball game (or 29) a luxury? Sure, but even being out of work I like to think my small contribution via paypal helps another hobbyist. Maybe I'll pawn some of my Ayn Rand books to get it back.

#80 7 years ago

Was it just the pinball machines that got flood damage? Why are spending so much time posting if it's such a bad situation?

#81 7 years ago

Hi. No, Charles is my friend. His son worked there. Great work!

#82 7 years ago

Some of the people on this forum just amaze me I tell ya. I have never been on a forum where there are so many rude and arrogant people. There are lots of great people here also and you know who you are but man some of you people on here just suck. I thought the HD forums were full of arrogant azz holes, that place is nothing compared to here. I didn't expect this on a pinball forum even a little bit. Nobody here believes in working for what you get more than I do I guarantee it. I work my ass off for the things that I have and I hate people looking for a handout also but this guy here though is in an emergency situation and freaking out because his pinball machines that he loves more than anything is about to get ruined and he needs some F'ing help fast! If he was asking for money for something that was a non emergency then I'd probably tell him to go get a job myself.

It's easy to say he should do this or he should do that or he should have done some things different etc but I'd guess everybody on this forum has made some not so wise decisions in their life at one time or another. You can choose to help him or not, that's your business. You can also have whatever opinion that you want, but sometimes it's just best to STFU and not say nothing. Anyone who don't like this post can downvote me all they want, I don't really give a F!

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

We're looking into that as well

Sorry, most insurance coverage won't cover flooding unless you have special flood insurance. It's the same if you have a water pipe brake and call and say your basement flooded. They won't cover it unless you say a pipe broke.
    But worth looking into anyhow.

#84 7 years ago

I had water come into my basement about 4 years ago (thankfully early in collecting) after long downpours. I have a working sump pump, but this was coming in through a crack in the foundation. I was able to keep the water out temporarily by patching it with some quick 5 minute cement from home depot, but then paid a professional $400 to pump epoxy up the entire crack in the wall, and coat over that with another epoxy. Haven't had trouble since. Hope you get it figured out after you get your basement dry.

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

You are not in my situation or shoes so I cannot expect you to understand.

The situation: Its shitty and has to be dealt with quickly.

The problem: You have 29 games you don't want to sell and have $0 money

The solution: Ask for help, to move them. Great.

The kicker: Ask for money because you "don't want to sell anything"

That about right?

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Sorry, most insurance coverage won't cover flooding unless you have special flood insurance.

I haven't read everything but the lesson to be learned is since most of us have pins in the basement we all should practice risk management, sump pumps, backups etc.( see utimategamerooms thread)

After that have sewer back up and drain on your homeowners policy. The National Flood Insurance Program policy doesn't cover anything below ground level except mechanicals. So if you have a basement flood your on your own, one reason my basement is very basic.

I have several sump pump water problems including the backup not working. It's not fun to go though.

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

It'll get better, it always does.

Just realized that will be my epitaph.

It'll get better, it always does
    Except this one time...

#88 7 years ago

Otaku picked up my Escalera. Showed him how to use it. Suggested he do a dry run going up the stairs before strapping a machine on. Apologized for the choice of words. Wish I could do more to help but I'm a busy guy.

Man, I hope I see my Escalera again.

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Man, I hope I see my Escalera again.

Otaku, I'll trade you a nice working Kings of Steel for that Escalera.

Quoted from Otaku:

Escalera (one day I'll figure out how to spell it consistently!)

One day I'll figure out how to pronounce it!

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Go f**k yourself.

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Go f**k yourself.

I do that everyday, so what's your point!

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

This is COMPLETELY uncalled for! I'm so upset with this response.

Otaku needs cash, not machines.

I'll buy that Escalera for $50.

Marcus

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Was it just the pinball machines that got flood damage? Why are spending so much time posting if it's such a bad situation?

Yes. My basement is 4 cinderblock walls, some shitty 40 year old stick-on tiles, and pinball machines. Thankfully.

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

It's called modern cell phones. Heck I can beat off with one hand and post with the other!

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Quoted from Xerico:

otaku needs cash, not machines.
    I'll buy that Escalera for $50.
    Marcus

Come on now guys...I'll be glad to come up tomorrow and help you move the games, and I'll drop the Escalera back off to beelze on the way home.

#96 7 years ago

Thanks all again for the support and kind words. I picked up Boob's Esclelelelelelera (I'm done with trying to spell it) and it is charging now, and most of the water has been vacuumed up and the rest is continously filling up the dehumidifier.

I was also able to finally get that game I just picked up I mentioned in the first post out of the car after like 4 days...

Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday we will get something going. I have had so much outpouring offers to help locally that it is hard to organize to make sure nobody's time is wasted. So I'm probably just going to end up figuring out a time sometime tonight for tomorrow, order some cheap pizza tomorrow, and set up one of the machines so if there's overflow people have something to do while chatting and whatnot while we work. Unfortunately only one set of stairs and one Escalera or everybody would have a lot to do!

So, let's do a tally.

Upstairs after today's progress with Mom:

'74 Gottlieb Sky Jump
    '69 Gottlieb Mibs
    '73 Gottlieb Pro Football (new to me, never made it to the basement thankfully)
    '68 Gottlieb Domino (head)
    '69 Gottlieb Airport (head)
    '79 Williams Flash (head)
    '78 Williams World Cup (head)

To go:

'55 Gottlieb Southern Belle
    '66 Gottlieb Mayfair
    '68 Gottlieb Fun Park
    '69 Gottlieb Spin-A-Card
    '69 Gottlieb Wild Wild West
    '69 Gottlieb Skipper
    '72 Gottlieb Wild Life
    '74 Gottlieb Magnotron
    '82 Gottlieb Devil's Dare
    '69 Gottlieb Airport (body)
    '62 Williams Vagabond
    '70 Williams Jive Time
    '72 Williams Super Star
    '74 Williams Strato-Flite
    '77 Williams Liberty Bell
    '85 Williams Comet
    '79 Williams Flash (body)
    '78 Williams World Cup (body)
    '71 Bally Skyrocket
    '74 Chicago Coin Showtime (got wet but still solid)
    Empty Bally body cabinet for Star-Jet

(Again, nothing is for sale, sorry)

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Come on now guys...I'll be glad to come up tomorrow and help you move the games, and I'll drop the Escalera back off to beelze on the way home.

Don't you live in the other direction!

#98 7 years ago

Yeah, I guess I'm gonna be the Pinside Dick of the Day....

Quoted from Otaku:

My home with my parents back in PA is an apartment, my grandma's home where I spent about 40% of the time out here in NJ has a big basement

Quoted from Otaku:

Half of the basement's floor filled with water

Quoted from Otaku:

I am asking for help. I do not like being a charity chase but I do not have much else to do right now both in regards to money and manpower.

Quoted from Otaku:

If you would like to help contribute to the sump pump fund (my bank is nearly at 0, I didn't realize how expensive dehumidifiers were) my PayPal is [email protected] although I am ashamed to even offer it as an option. I hope it is not asking too much.

Quoted from Otaku:

At this point I can probably convince my family whatever is needed is needed for the sake of maintaining the home as well (considering the expensive heating system is surrounded by water) so hopefully due to the majorness of the situation it won't land on my plate after all.

Quoted from Otaku:

Also, right now I hope to not sell any games, and especially right now as I don't have the time for that. I am not trying to be stingy but after spending many hours inside of each of them I get really attached.

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Yeah, I guess I'm gonna be the Pinside Dick of the Day....

Whatever you say man I just want my games out of the danger zone primarily.

No promises that my family can afford the construction, but if that ends up being the case and if they're even interested and show up with a check to get it all going (seems unlikely) no issues giving refunds or donating to charity. Probably will go towards drylock/other sealants anyways but this in no way will benefit me in the end. Just those hunks of metal and wood I put my heart and soul into. I really want to open a museum one day even if that sounds like a pipe dream to some.

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Don't you live in the other direction!

Hmmmmmm...

There are 399 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sos-in-nj-help-needed-after-flood/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.