Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wait-a-minute-393x295.jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Orb 1 (resized).jpg
    spoon (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Resized_16699221109967716534641397945293_385163287893037 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221201-113217~3 (resized).png
    DCEE060B-9996-4A0B-9391-97161EAC1232 (resized).jpeg
    839CC34D-220C-4DF0-A2C2-4ED24AB4DF92 (resized).jpeg
    785AC2E3-B959-427D-A026-8284B145A359 (resized).jpeg
    317012225_2384303311724983_2093093265482063090_n (resized).jpg
    There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

But ya still gotta unsolder them to replace the pop ring or a chipped skirt.

Yes. Every 30 years.

Why can’t you people
    Just admit pops are fine as they are? It’s really worth having a light socket that flickers on and off permanently because it will be easier to take the assembly apart once every few decades?

Innovating for innovations sake is how you end up with garbage like RAZA.

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes. Every 30 years.
    Why can’t you people
    Just admit pops are fine as they are? It’s really worth having a light socket that flickers on and off permanently because it will be easier to take the assembly apart once every few decades?
    Innovating for innovations sake is how you end up with garbage like RAZA.

If pinsiders ran Stern, they would be out of business in a year.

You dont think the various pinball builders have not explored this before?

#103 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

“Ok guys! We’ve successfully bought Stern!

Now…start innovating and redesigning/over engineering every part of the pinball machine, move the power switch back where it should, add 8 coils to every game, and license every single song from every single movie or album for the games we are making!”

“And….slash prices!!! The BOM on these things can’t be more than 2000 bucks!!!”

#104 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes. Every 30 years. Why can’t you people Just admit pops are fine as they are? It’s really worth having a light socket that flickers on and off permanently because it will be easier to take the assembly apart once every few decades? Innovating for innovations sake is how you end up with garbage like RAZA.

Personally I never said they weren't fine the way they are. I think they are if you keep the cup clean and lubed and dial them in which is no big deal. It's just fun and interesting talking about possible improvements, good or bad. As far as my EBD I've had it for about 30 years and never had any connection issue caused by the unpluggable socket wires. In fact I replaced a skirt about a year ago and forgot the damn things unplugged and unsoldered them for no reason.

#105 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

But ya still gotta unsolder them to replace the pop ring or a chipped skirt.

Which is part of a pop bumper rebuild which should be done on any game older than 25-30 years.

#106 1 year ago

And take the Allied Leisure version for example, with the separate skirt stem that is pushed up and down by the tilting of the skirt. Okay, so great, it eliminates the cup. But now you got an extra moving part that slides up and down in a channel, another thing that might get dirty/gummed up/worn out. And okay so you get rid of the pressure put on the stem by the cup. But now either the switch has to be adjusted up against the stem enough to keep it reliably raised up, or the stem has to have its own spring inside there to keep it up against the skirt. Plus there will be additional friction at the point where the skirt is pivoting on the top end of the stem. Looks like an improvement but in the long run it may not be.

Wish there was a pic of one of those suckers totally disassembled.

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

How about a tiny opto send/receive unit, or a proximity sensor, pointing upward at the end of the skirt stem, and the stem has a little magnet or reflective thingey or whatever on the end of it?

Or do it like an Arari Analog Joystick like the ones used on I Robot or Food Fight: Two hall sensors and a magnet on the peg. No problem with optos getting dirty, no physical contact with the peg and the Hall sensors.

#108 1 year ago

Ultimately I agree with don't fix what isn't broken. Keep it simple stupid.

But I do think having a pop that can detect what direction it is hit from could be used in interesting ways depending on the playfield and rules.

Not a pop, but this was a Wayne Neyens idea of a directional detecting bumper

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Ultimately I agree with don't fix what isn't broken. Keep it simple stupid.
    But I do think having a pop that can detect what direction it is hit from could be used in interesting ways depending on the playfield and rules.
    Not a pop, but this was a Wayne Neyens idea of a directional detecting bumper
    [quoted image]

Dang, how did he fit all those switches between the bumper and the number inserts?

Oh, okay looks like the switches were on separate vertical switch mounts.

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I severely miss this in the jump to PC based games.

Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

Come on, the only way to do that is to regress our display technology back to DMD to reduce graphics loading, and put back realtime music synthesis to reduce audio loading...
    Oh, wait. I actually love all three of these ideas. Fully on board with doing this.

Still think there is a way to have both. Everything should be in memory at this point so its all instant when you turn it on.

1 week later
    #111 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I have a Ghostbusters and it irks me it takes so long to boot up.

Holy cral try a Spooky, you'll be beginning for GB quick start up!

#112 1 year ago

So exactly how long DOES it take for a Ghostbusters to boot up? Is it because it's performing a ton of diagnostic stuff first, or simply the program and graphics loading?

I wonder if people complained about that 40 years ago. At power up, Eight Ball Deluxe takes 10 seconds to go thru the diagnostic checks, Black Hole takes 5 seconds, but Black Knight is ready to play almost instantaneously.

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

At power up, Eight Ball Deluxe takes 10 seconds to go thru the diagnostic checks, Black Hole takes 5 seconds, but Black Knight is ready to play almost instantaneously.

True, but that's a bug, not a feature. BK boots up instantly because it's doing zero self-testing which isn't a good thing.

#114 1 year ago

That's not a 'bug', it's just the way Williams decided to design their system. I didn't say it was a good idea.

#115 1 year ago

I think the spike games take so long to boot cause the CPU is making sure all node boards are online and responding.

#116 1 year ago

lots of phrases come to mind outside of the "if it an't broke" already mentioned.

KISS (keep it simple stupid)
    cheap is king
    Tribal Knowledge
    IF JPOP did it different; we know not to do it that way

The flipper mech hasn't changed a lot in several decades; it doesn't mean it needs to be re-invented.

Quoted from gdonovan:

I wanna hate on this comment; a lot.
    But; you know --- he has a point.

#117 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

The flipper mech hasn't changed a lot in several decades; it doesn't mean it needs to be re-invented.

Atari at one point used rotary solenoids for their flippers. Huge space savers that could've been the replacement for the usual setup, but I'm thinking they were never really as strong and their part cost was probably too high comparatively. I'm sure ones could be made these days that are plenty strong, though they're probably still too expensive for a manufacturing run of a few thousand. A company would have to commit to using them solely for their flipper mechs for the next few years to really make that part cost drop to a significantly better price point.

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

Atari at one point used rotary solenoids for their flippers. Huge space savers that could've been the replacement for the usual setup, but I'm thinking they were never really as strong and their part cost was probably too high comparatively. I'm sure ones could be made these days that are plenty strong, though they're probably still too expensive for a manufacturing run of a few thousand. A company would have to commit to using them solely for their flipper mechs for the next few years to really make that part cost drop to a significantly better price point.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Atari_Repair#Rotary_Solenoid

#119 1 year ago

If Atari was sending out regular style flipper mechs to replace the rotaries, then I'm assuming the rotaries had an abnormally high failure rate. That sucks.

#120 1 year ago

The best pop bumpers are the ones on Junk Yard and The Shadow.

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from ViperTim:

The best pop bumpers are the ones on Junk Yard and The Shadow.

wait-a-minute-393x295.jpgwait-a-minute-393x295.jpg
    There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sorta-surprising-we-haven-t-reinvented-the-pop-bumper-yet/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.