1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by xsvtoys
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How do you file Jim Hendrix albums?”

• Jimi Hendrix solo album in the H’s, Jimi Hendrix Experience in the J’s 0 votes
    • Both in the H’s 2 votes
      40%
    • Both in the J’s 0 votes
    • Just throw all albums in a random pile and don’t worry about it 3 votes
      60%

(5 votes)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

In the old days we sorted our albums on the shelf following a strict set of protocols. Anyone who broke the rules and messed up the system would be banned from touching them again.

Now we have digital songs. They exist on a computer or other device. There is fancy software that will read the tags in the song and let you sort by song name, album name, artist name, etc.

If you wanted to sort your collection by artist, a computer will never get it right. Impossible.

Oh, they are smart and have rules. ABBA will be at the beginning. ZZ Top will be at the end.

They will cleverly remove articles, so The Beatles will go in the B’s, as they should.

But they will fail with many cases.

If they are smart enough to figure out a name, they will sort by the last name. So Bob Dylan will go in the D’s, where he should. Tom Petty will go in the P’s. As we like it.

But then, they will put Lynyrd Skynyrd in the S’s. This is obviously unacceptable but how will a computer ever know? They can’t. They will put Judas Priest in the P’s. Alice Cooper in the C’s. Jethro Tull in the T’s. This will be a total mess for the compulsive obsessive types.

Of course, there are some things I’m not sure we ever figured out. If it is a Jimi Hendrix solo album, ok you sort it in the H’s by his last name. But what about a Jim Hendrix Experience album? Does that also go in the H’s? Or does it now go in the J’s because it’s the official band name?

And where do you file the band The The? Do they disappear into a vortex of nothingness?

Also, I wonder if all the post modern vinyl collectors of the current day worry about these things with their album collection?

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

You can edit the metadata to your liking, using Artist Sort if the computer isn't sorting to your preference.

Yes you could fix it this way. However I have >13,000 songs squirreled away, even with a nice tagging tool I don’t want to go there
    (I use mp3tag)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sort-music-by-artists-unsolvable-computer-problem?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.