(Topic ID: 235641)

Sorry to ask - but which pin? WOZ, GOTG, or MBr? Decision made!

By f3honda4me

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Pin?”

• Wizard of Oz 80 votes
    47%
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 34 votes
    20%
  • Monster Bash Remake 56 votes
    33%

(Multiple choice - 170 votes by 166 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider f3honda4me.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

edit:

So we have decided! After a long discussion with the wife, she made some great points. WOZ is out of production, and while there is rumor there will be another run, there is also rumor that the "new" version will be a lesser version with "problem mechanicals" removed. I don't want a stripped down version, I want the full version in the wild today. Even if that turns out not to be true, it's still an unknown on when WOZ will actually be available again.

So - we are buying both a GotG premium and a Star Trek premium. I placed my GotG Premium order with ZMeny at Flip N Out, because Zach is awesome and super easy to deal with. And I'm getting the ST Premium through Marco/Stern via the MGC show deal in April. This way, we play both, and if one starts to outshine the other, we can sell one and use that money towards a WOZ.

On that note: for WOZ, we will be buying a WOZ still 100%. But not until we have solid details on when and what is actually available. Worst case I'll buy a 75th or RR the next time they make some of those. I plan to buy that one from Chris at Kingpin who is also awesome. Chris goes out of his way to help his customers, and that is something I can attest to personally!

Thanks to everyone who posted, this honestly was super helpful, even though so much of this is subjective. People also provide some unique points.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Have you played them?

Have played all 3. WOZ and MBr quite a bit. GotG played the least since it was on location.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I heard a rumor Spooky is floating the idea "Ted Nugent's Root Canal" as its next pin. It's a bit of a grind.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I’d go with MBr! Fun for all the family and easily the best bang for your buck. I’d also hold back those JJP dollars until Jack reveals the promised 2 new titles this year those could be awesome!

Truth be told I’d get GOTG pro, which is over $2k less than the other two. But for me I’d rather pay for what I’ll enjoy vs something cheaper.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

I haven’t played POTC, so I’m not sure how it ranks in terms of difficult. IMO WOZ is difficult, but still enjoyable to play. I’d lean in that direction if it were me, I’d be concerned that you’d tire of GOTG even if you are a huge fan of the theme. Any of your choices look like they’d be fun ones to own.

Having played both extensively I’d say POTC is just as deep and more fun, but not quite as challenging as WOZ by a small margin. But if you have short ball times on POTC the game isn’t much fun.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

GOTG has failed to keep my interest over several months of playing on location - I think a lot of players really like it, but I’m skeptical it would last long at home.
IMO WOZ has the most “wow” factor of the three, is fun, is deeeeeeep, and has a unique theme, and lots LOTS of shots.
MB is super fun if set up fast, and you have to keep in mind it is fairly easy - but it’s a great partner to a deeper game

If you don’t mind me asking, any idea what gets boring about GOTG for you? What do you find yourself playing instead?

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Actually, you shouldn't ask me because I previously recommended The Hobbit which I love, you bought and sold.
I also own Woz and think it's great. Personally MBr would be to simular for me with a 3 pin lineup and having AFM. I also own AFMr.
I really don't know about Guardians, (have Met and IM same designer) but would lean to something different like Star Trek.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Good advice - ST is awesome.

I actually have ST premium on my wishlist, however I have heard the code is incomplete? And no sign of when the next release will be.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Go with Star Trek.

I don’t think I can add it as a 3rd pin, due to theme. But fourth pin yes.

#33 5 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. This is helping. Going to decide this weekend.

#39 5 years ago

I think I have decided against GotG as I am concerned over the long term. Played on location again this afternoon a good 20+ games and the repetitive parts are not so “fun” or varied enough I think for long term. Played more MBr and while also repetitive, the toys and differences make it more fun.

So I think it’s down to WOZ or MBr. The WOZ would be whatever new or next production run they make which sounds like a likely April delivery. MBr SE is of course available sooner.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

its a pretty difficult decision....WOZ is a great game with a lot going on...MB is an incredible pin thats challenging, with a rule set that are not easy to complete yet very simple to understand (very similar to AFMRLE).....its really a coin toss....that being said MB is $2K+ cheaper so that would drive my decision....

Agreed it’s a lot of back and forth in my own head lol. Going to play a bunch of WOZ and MB again soon, maybe even tonight. Hopefully that helps. The poll numbers are interesting!

#49 5 years ago

Monkey wrench into the works. My wife and son played GotG and liked it. They are also interested in Star Trek premium.

First world problems

For me personally I am leaning towards WOZ. My kids LOVE our JJP POTC and they like that it’s challenging and deep. My son got to his first wizard mode today and was thrilled.

#51 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Have you watched this overview of Woz??

Watching it now!

On another note: is it just me or is that far right scoop shot on GOTG overly difficult to hit... 40 plays on location and I still can’t hit it. And I’m pretty decent at pinball.

#54 5 years ago

It’s nice to have so many good choices.

Going to play an ST pro on location this afternoon.

#55 5 years ago

Played star trek. Really enjoyed it. I get what some of you were saying now about star trek. It shoots incredibly well. The geometry is great, rewarding, and approachable. That warp shot is really cool. If I had the money I think I'd buy WOZ and Star Trek LOL. But, on the same hand, for the price of one WOZ I could buy a pro ST and pro GotG, which is something I'm literally considering.

I'm really glad I started this thread, or I wouldn't have even considered ST, and now having played it, I see why it's so fun.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

And that is A LOT to consider. If you have a small collection sometimes grabbing 2 for the price of 1 is better. Once your collection is built up with variety then go ahead and lose a few to get that one game you really want. This assuming space is forcing you to get rid of things to bring things (or budget of course).

I have two pins but could easily fit 6 so I have room to grow.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

If I can piggy back on this thread, I could add STLE but have owned it before or should o get something new like JJP Potc? Thing is JJP Potc looks overwhelming and overly complicated (I feel same with SW which I played didn’t know a damn thing about what was going on). GOTG seems more approachable but I do already have IM, Tron, Met and Twd pro so not sure I could stomach another Borg pin.

JJP POTC is very approachable. You can have fun even if you don’t know what’s going on. It has six different ways to get Multibal (and they can stack) so there is plenty of crazy fun to be had. It’s one of the best pins ever made. I would recommend it to anyone.

#67 5 years ago

After playing star trek yesterday, my wife is seriously considering us buying both WOZ and ST lol! Or GotG and ST. I should update the poll, but I think the feedback I've gotten from you all has been much more valuable than the poll. A lot of very helpful things, including some aspects I had not thought of. Heck I wasn't even considering ST until several of you mentioned it!

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Dude don’t do both Guardians and ST; something about both their rulesets that don’t let them mesh well together in a small lineup. WOZ and ST would be amazing next to JJPOTC and AFM. To me, WOZ and JJPOTC are JJPs best 2 pins. WOZ is as great as JJPOTC - it’s both brutal, fun, deep, with lots of variety, and amazing theme integration. The display isn’t nearly as good as JJPOTC, and is probably the weakest of the 4 JJP games, but the game overall is fantastic.
Amazing 4 pin line up:
JJPOTC
AFMr
WOZ
ST (I prefer LE, it’s stunning and the light show is over the top. Don’t go with a pro, the left vuk is donkey shit flow killer and no lasers and light show is a big miss for the theme).

Thank you for the feedback. I was hoping with AFM and POTC that the GotG/ST combo would be ok. My kids like GotG, but I don't think they'd like the ST theme as much. Seriously considering WOZ and ST prem.

#74 5 years ago

I am going to see if I can convince the wife to get WOZ and ST Premium. I have a chance to take advantage of some great pricing on the ST due to the MGC here in Milwaukee coming in April. If not, it's going to be either WOZ or both ST and GOTG. I could always end up selling GOTG later if need be.

#77 5 years ago

So we have decided! After a long discussion with the wife, she made some great points. WOZ is out of production, and while there is rumor there will be another run, there is also rumor that the "new" version will be a lesser version with "problem mechanicals" removed. I don't want a stripped down version, I want the full version in the wild today. Even if that turns out not to be true, it's still an unknown on when WOZ will actually be available again.

So - we are buying both a GotG premium and a Star Trek premium. I placed my GotG Premium order with ZMeny at Flip N Out, because Zach is awesome and super easy to deal with. And I'm getting the ST Premium through Marco/Stern via the MGC show deal in April. This way, we play both, and if one starts to outshine the other, we can sell one and use that money towards a WOZ.

On that note: for WOZ, we will be buying a WOZ still 100%. But not until we have solid details on when and what is actually available. Worst case I'll buy a 75th or RR the next time they make some of those. I plan to buy that one from Chris at Kingpin who is also awesome. Chris goes out of his way to help his customers, and that is something I can attest to personally!

Thanks to everyone who posted, this honestly was super helpful, even though so much of this is subjective. People also provide some unique points.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

GOTG Prem and ST Prem are great choices. Nicely done. Both are beauties with the full RGB and both are some of the best shooting Sterns ever made!

Yea the light shows on pinballs alone are worth the upgrade to me. Lighting is such a huge part of how a pinball "feels" and I think that is often overlooked.

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Dumb question is the light show on the Prem different than the one on the Pro?

Yes as was said. Since every insert bulb is RGB they can display millions of colors. On the pro, only a couple select bulbs are RBG and the rest are white with a single color insert. So the light effects and changes to the playfield are drastically different when the bulbs can be millions of colors.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Didn't catch that my apologies.

Sorry didn't mean it as a "why didn't you read it" I meant it as a "like RandomKG said".

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

So you will have POTC, AFM, ST and GOTG?! Nice mix of games and super family and player friendly!

Yep! And eventually a WOZ too. Parties here will be fun. Good thing I have an escalera on the way though!

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from Mnluz:

f3honda4me if you have the chance get a WOZ, code is very deep and it is so beautiful.
A must have for home environments, especially with kids around.
I got mine a month ago and I am amazed by the quality, by the game, by the code, by the light show...such a joy to play.

Oh yes we will be buying one, but not until we know what is actually going to be available. YBR or whatever rumors. Soon as Chris at Kingpin knows what is available and when he is going to let me know so I can order one.

In the meantime, Zach shipped my GotG yesterday so hopefully get that sometime next week. Now all I need is my escalera shipped and with any luck also arrive next week so I can actually get GotG into my basement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

5,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Salem, VA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 22.50
$ 91.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider f3honda4me.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sorry-to-ask-but-which-pin-woz-gotg-or-mbr?tu=f3honda4me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.