(Topic ID: 235641)

Sorry to ask - but which pin? WOZ, GOTG, or MBr? Decision made!

By f3honda4me

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Pin?”

• Wizard of Oz 80 votes
    47%
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 34 votes
    20%
  • Monster Bash Remake 56 votes
    33%

(Multiple choice - 170 votes by 166 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

edit:

So we have decided! After a long discussion with the wife, she made some great points. WOZ is out of production, and while there is rumor there will be another run, there is also rumor that the "new" version will be a lesser version with "problem mechanicals" removed. I don't want a stripped down version, I want the full version in the wild today. Even if that turns out not to be true, it's still an unknown on when WOZ will actually be available again.

So - we are buying both a GotG premium and a Star Trek premium. I placed my GotG Premium order with ZMeny at Flip N Out, because Zach is awesome and super easy to deal with. And I'm getting the ST Premium through Marco/Stern via the MGC show deal in April. This way, we play both, and if one starts to outshine the other, we can sell one and use that money towards a WOZ.

On that note: for WOZ, we will be buying a WOZ still 100%. But not until we have solid details on when and what is actually available. Worst case I'll buy a 75th or RR the next time they make some of those. I plan to buy that one from Chris at Kingpin who is also awesome. Chris goes out of his way to help his customers, and that is something I can attest to personally!

Thanks to everyone who posted, this honestly was super helpful, even though so much of this is subjective. People also provide some unique points.

#2 5 years ago

I think it is a decision best made by the buyer as my impression of any game can be totally different from another persons.

#3 5 years ago

Since you all like GOTG go with that. It is the least similar one to your others.

#4 5 years ago

I think you should pick a route canal over WOZ

#5 5 years ago

I’d go with MBr!

Fun for all the family and easily the best bang for your buck. I’d also hold back those JJP dollars until Jack reveals the promised 2 new titles this year those could be awesome!

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I think you should pick a route canal over WOZ

I heard a rumor Spooky is floating the idea "Ted Nugent's Root Canal" as its next pin. It's a bit of a grind.

#7 5 years ago

Have you played them?

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Have you played them?

Have played all 3. WOZ and MBr quite a bit. GotG played the least since it was on location.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I heard a rumor Spooky is floating the idea "Ted Nugent's Root Canal" as its next pin. It's a bit of a grind.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Isn't his music punishment enough?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I’d go with MBr! Fun for all the family and easily the best bang for your buck. I’d also hold back those JJP dollars until Jack reveals the promised 2 new titles this year those could be awesome!

Truth be told I’d get GOTG pro, which is over $2k less than the other two. But for me I’d rather pay for what I’ll enjoy vs something cheaper.

#12 5 years ago

GOTG would give you the most diversity in your 3-pin lineup with one classic WMS + one JJP + one Stern.

#13 5 years ago

Gotg wld b a good choice since u have a cgc and jjp already. Plus u all are big fans of the theme. Plus it much a cheaper.

#14 5 years ago

GOTG has failed to keep my interest over several months of playing on location - I think a lot of players really like it, but I’m skeptical it would last long at home.

IMO WOZ has the most “wow” factor of the three, is fun, is deeeeeeep, and has a unique theme, and lots LOTS of shots.

MB is super fun if set up fast, and you have to keep in mind it is fairly easy - but it’s a great partner to a deeper game

#15 5 years ago

I haven’t played POTC, so I’m not sure how it ranks in terms of difficult. IMO WOZ is difficult, but still enjoyable to play. I’d lean in that direction if it were me, I’d be concerned that you’d tire of GOTG even if you are a huge fan of the theme. Any of your choices look like they’d be fun ones to own.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

I haven’t played POTC, so I’m not sure how it ranks in terms of difficult. IMO WOZ is difficult, but still enjoyable to play. I’d lean in that direction if it were me, I’d be concerned that you’d tire of GOTG even if you are a huge fan of the theme. Any of your choices look like they’d be fun ones to own.

Having played both extensively I’d say POTC is just as deep and more fun, but not quite as challenging as WOZ by a small margin. But if you have short ball times on POTC the game isn’t much fun.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

GOTG has failed to keep my interest over several months of playing on location - I think a lot of players really like it, but I’m skeptical it would last long at home.
IMO WOZ has the most “wow” factor of the three, is fun, is deeeeeeep, and has a unique theme, and lots LOTS of shots.
MB is super fun if set up fast, and you have to keep in mind it is fairly easy - but it’s a great partner to a deeper game

If you don’t mind me asking, any idea what gets boring about GOTG for you? What do you find yourself playing instead?

#18 5 years ago

I would say WOZ, WOZ and WOZ ! I'm a little biased there because I have one and enjoy it more every time I play it, but between the depth of the game, the number of shots, the ability to stack modes, the lights sounds animations, the multiballs, a short term goal (kill the witch), a long term dream (sotr), there's just enough to keep going at it and try something new.

I also like the open approach to the modes , how they can be triggered in any order, and stacked. It has some fast shots, some more technical ones and even doors to shoot which feels like a small scaled MM.

They're really is a lot to like about WOZ

#19 5 years ago

I own a GOTG pro.
It's fantastic, and really fun. Great shots. Very smooth when you get the shots.
Can be challenging since the outlines drain a lot, but that's the fun.

My wife wants a WOZ. (happy wife, happy life) So some day we will do that.
MBr is fun too.

I'd say go with the theme that interests you the most. and GOTGpro does save on money.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

If you don’t mind me asking, any idea what gets boring about GOTG for you? What do you find yourself playing instead?

I think it’s a good enough game, I don’t mean to make it sound like it’s awful - I just started to feel like I was kinda doing the same thing over and over again. The ramps are definitely fun, and I like the design, but the shots just feel samey after a while.

I do think the Groot multiball makes the game fun for kids, because it’s obvious what to shoot for, but after a while ...

As far as other recent games, I like LOTR, Simpsons PP, Houdini, TWD, Tron, WOZ, TZ.. I think the recent Hobbit code is the best “take you on a journey” game ever. If I’m buying a game it’s got to have legs to go a long time - so I tend toward the deeper games (although I own and absolutely adore MB)

#21 5 years ago

Actually, you shouldn't ask me because I previously recommended The Hobbit which I love, you bought and sold.

I also own Woz and think it's great. Personally MBr would be to simular for me with a 3 pin lineup and having AFM. I also own AFMr.

I really don't know about Guardians, (have Met and IM same designer) but would lean to something different like Star Trek.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Actually, you shouldn't ask me because I previously recommended The Hobbit which I love, you bought and sold.
I also own Woz and think it's great. Personally MBr would be to simular for me with a 3 pin lineup and having AFM. I also own AFMr.
I really don't know about Guardians, (have Met and IM same designer) but would lean to something different like Star Trek.

Good advice - ST is awesome.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I would say WOZ, WOZ and WOZ ! I'm a little biased there because I have one and enjoy it more every time I play it, but between the depth of the game, the number of shots, the ability to stack modes, the lights sounds animations, the multiballs, a short term goal (kill the witch), a long term dream (sotr), there's just enough to keep going at it and try something new.
I also like the open approach to the modes , how they can be triggered in any order, and stacked. It has some fast shots, some more technical ones and even doors to shoot which feels like a small scaled MM.
They're really is a lot to like about WOZ

Couldn't have put it any better!

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

Isn't his music punishment enough?

Never had an issue with his music... Ted personally? Not a fan. Seen Ted do GWB live on a double bill with Aerosmith back in New Haven Ct. in ‘86. Once was great and once was enough.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Truth be told I’d get GOTG pro, which is over $2k less than the other two. But for me I’d rather pay for what I’ll enjoy vs something cheaper.

Yeah that’s the difficulty answering from another country here MBr is £300 cheaper than GOTGpro (talking NIB prices) is GOTGpro really 2k cheaper than MBr that’s crazy! But then again we do get spanked pretty f’in hard on pin prices here in the U.K.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Good advice - ST is awesome.

I actually have ST premium on my wishlist, however I have heard the code is incomplete? And no sign of when the next release will be.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I actually have ST premium on my wishlist, however I have heard the code is incomplete? And no sign of when the next release will be.

No that’s not true, Dwight jumped on board years ago and turned the game/code around and made it a killer game. It recently had a bug/balancing update but there are still a few bugs present nothing I’ve ever come across personally.

It’s one of my favourite games in my collection, codes an all rounder with beginners and more skilled players and that warp ramp shot is awesome, one of the best shots in pinball especially if you manage to loop it over and over again.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Go with Star Trek.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Go with Star Trek.

I don’t think I can add it as a 3rd pin, due to theme. But fourth pin yes.

#30 5 years ago

Just get all 3 like me!! Currently own GOTG and love it. Have a MBrLE on order and a WoZ on order as well! Haha

#31 5 years ago

I would vote for WOZ. I had one for about a year and will likely be buying another one if I can find a local deal on a Ruby Red version. I don't like the movie, but damn, JJP integrated the theme so well, it's hard not to love it. It's a great game all around.

#32 5 years ago

I would choose different games but sounds like GOTG is the clear winner. Your family loves the theme and it would fit right in the middle of your other two pins.

#33 5 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. This is helping. Going to decide this weekend.

#34 5 years ago

IMO WOZ. I have a young family as well and can appreciate the family fulfillment needs and variety.

We have a GOTG in our league and I have considering buying one a few times. I do enjoy it, but I'm not confident on it's long term enjoyment. MBRM I think would pan out similar to your ATM-RM fulfillment needs. We've had a used WOZ for about 4 months now and I'm finding everyone enjoys it. Wife especially, but even our 2 year old. It's easy to just walk up and play for a kid and yet in-depth in rules and goals for a more avid player like myself.

It sounds like JJP may be winding down on WOZ production. A recent interview with Jack had them slated to run a 2019 production of only a few hundred machines. Just another consideration point.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I don’t think I can add it as a 3rd pin, due to theme. But fourth pin yes.

OK but Star Trek is pretty popular and the code is very good, along those same lines(layout, designer) is Spiderman very similar to ST but rules way different. If you get ST hook it up to a sub woofer or add better speakers. Awesome.

#36 5 years ago

Get a RR Woz 2.0 and you will experience pinball nirvana

#37 5 years ago

I would go with WoZ has a deeper rule set and will probably keep your interest longer.

#38 5 years ago

I would go with MB or GOTG. I have a lot of experience with WOZ and honestly have no desire to ever play it again.

#39 5 years ago

I think I have decided against GotG as I am concerned over the long term. Played on location again this afternoon a good 20+ games and the repetitive parts are not so “fun” or varied enough I think for long term. Played more MBr and while also repetitive, the toys and differences make it more fun.

So I think it’s down to WOZ or MBr. The WOZ would be whatever new or next production run they make which sounds like a likely April delivery. MBr SE is of course available sooner.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

So I think it’s down to WOZ or MBr. The WOZ would be whatever new or next production run they make which sounds like a likely April delivery. MBr SE is of course available sooner.

Thats a tough decision, maybe this is where a good old fashioned coin toss might come in handy?

#41 5 years ago

Actually to me Woz is the best.

#42 5 years ago

Woz. It’s beautiful and deep and built like a tank.

#43 5 years ago

its a pretty difficult decision....WOZ is a great game with a lot going on...MB is an incredible pin thats challenging, with a rule set that are not easy to complete yet very simple to understand (very similar to AFMRLE).....its really a coin toss....that being said MB is $2K+ cheaper so that would drive my decision....

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

its a pretty difficult decision....WOZ is a great game with a lot going on...MB is an incredible pin thats challenging, with a rule set that are not easy to complete yet very simple to understand (very similar to AFMRLE).....its really a coin toss....that being said MB is $2K+ cheaper so that would drive my decision....

Agreed it’s a lot of back and forth in my own head lol. Going to play a bunch of WOZ and MB again soon, maybe even tonight. Hopefully that helps. The poll numbers are interesting!

#45 5 years ago

In my lineup of WOZ, Hobbit, JJPOTC, SW premium, F14 and an EM, WOZ always gets the most attention from guests. It is just beautiful and inviting.

#46 5 years ago

I'd recommend Guardians pro. Cheapest, most different than your current 2, plenty challenging yet still fun for casual players. MB good choice as well. Not very difficult though. WOZ has never grabbed me.

#47 5 years ago

WOZ!

#48 5 years ago

WOZ yellow brick road edition

#49 5 years ago

Monkey wrench into the works. My wife and son played GotG and liked it. They are also interested in Star Trek premium.

First world problems

For me personally I am leaning towards WOZ. My kids LOVE our JJP POTC and they like that it’s challenging and deep. My son got to his first wizard mode today and was thrilled.

#50 5 years ago

Have you watched this overview of Woz??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 91.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 24.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sorry-to-ask-but-which-pin-woz-gotg-or-mbr?hl=jy64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.