Sorry to ask - but which pin? WOZ, GOTG, or MBr? Decision made!

(Topic ID: 235641)

Sorry to ask - but which pin? WOZ, GOTG, or MBr? Decision made!

By f3honda4me

8 days ago

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by f3honda4me
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Pin?”

• Wizard of Oz 80 votes
    47%
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 34 votes
    20%
  • Monster Bash Remake 56 votes
    33%

(Multiple choice - 170 votes by 166 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 days ago
Quoted from rai:

Have you watched this overview of Woz??

Watching it now!

On another note: is it just me or is that far right scoop shot on GOTG overly difficult to hit... 40 plays on location and I still can’t hit it. And I’m pretty decent at pinball.

#52 6 days ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Watching it now!
On another note: is it just me or is that far right scoop shot on GOTG overly difficult to hit...

It’s nothing out of the usual for pinball. Any shot may be more difficult on a particular pin that is not set up correctly and could be more difficult to hit.

You are picking a lot of nice pins ST premium is also dope.

#53 6 days ago

Star Trek is fantastic...one of my favorites. It has the most geometrically perfect playfield ever made and is SO satisfying to shoot. It has plenty to do for all skill levels. First wizard mode is fairly easy to hit in a good game, and is very satisfying. Second is super hard but possible. Third is damn near impossible (for me at least). The modes to get to each are varied and not just the same thing over and over like some games, and you get some nice rewards along the way (medal system, super loops/ramps, etc). You can select from many different paths to progress through the modes too. The Vengeance battles are awesome, and really feel like a fight. The first one is a pretty easy to reach multiball that most beginners should be able to see in a game. Klingon multiball is also not too difficult to get into and is an another awesome battle. Great sounds/music/dots/etc all around.

The ST premium/LE is very nice, but honestly the pro is 95% the same and would save you some money if budget is a factor. My vote of your original three is GOTG, but if ST is added in, I would switch to that by a hair. The others are great too though, so you are in a can't lose situation. You could get a nice used ST pro AND GOTG pro for only a little more than the price of a new WoZ or MB, so that would be something to think about too.

#54 6 days ago

It’s nice to have so many good choices.

Going to play an ST pro on location this afternoon.

#55 6 days ago

Played star trek. Really enjoyed it. I get what some of you were saying now about star trek. It shoots incredibly well. The geometry is great, rewarding, and approachable. That warp shot is really cool. If I had the money I think I'd buy WOZ and Star Trek LOL. But, on the same hand, for the price of one WOZ I could buy a pro ST and pro GotG, which is something I'm literally considering.

I'm really glad I started this thread, or I wouldn't have even considered ST, and now having played it, I see why it's so fun.

#56 6 days ago

And that is A LOT to consider. If you have a small collection sometimes grabbing 2 for the price of 1 is better. Once your collection is built up with variety then go ahead and lose a few to get that one game you really want. This assuming space is forcing you to get rid of things to bring things (or budget of course).

#57 6 days ago

I like GOTG.

It's fun, but can be punishing too. I love MET and Iron Man. And I do like Guardians. It's based on the first movie (not like Ghostbusters and they added Scoleri targets. Crappy. BS.).

The stock sound is hilariously awful. There's free sound mods to get out there too. I'm good with GOTG.

Still, I think it'll be like those Stern "value pins" where you get a bit for the price. X-Men LE, TFLE, AVLE. Might not be a keeper forever, but really nothing is unless you worked on restoring it yourself.

#58 6 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

And that is A LOT to consider. If you have a small collection sometimes grabbing 2 for the price of 1 is better. Once your collection is built up with variety then go ahead and lose a few to get that one game you really want. This assuming space is forcing you to get rid of things to bring things (or budget of course).

I have two pins but could easily fit 6 so I have room to grow.

#59 6 days ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I have two pins but could easily fit 6 so I have room to grow.

Good deal then, we are similar (room for 5 total) we have a VPIN and will have when they arrive MBRLE, JJP POTC, and a Silverball Mania (first pin we ever owned and the wife wants it back). That leaves us room for 1 more and we are struggling to decide on that last game. It has come down to WOZ or Houdini I think or we go with a "replaceable" pin and rotate every 6 months. In that case we would do something like GOTG, Star Trek, Avengers, X-Men, etc basically pro models to play and enjoy and move on with after time.

If I ever convince the wife to ditch the fusbol table that never gets used I can add 2 more pin and for sure if that happens WOZ and Houdini both will enter the house. After I rob a bank of course.

Anyway good luck with your choice and most importantly enjoy what you get.

FYI MB is a permanent keeper and never leaving for us. Viewing POTC as the same but you never know.

#60 6 days ago

If I can piggy back on this thread, I could add STLE but have owned it before or should o get something new like JJP Potc? Thing is JJP Potc looks overwhelming and overly complicated (I feel same with SW which I played didn’t know a damn thing about what was going on). GOTG seems more approachable but I do already have IM, Tron, Met and Twd pro so not sure I could stomach another Borg pin.

#61 6 days ago
Quoted from rai:

If I can piggy back on this thread, I could add STLE but have owned it before or should o get something new like JJP Potc? Thing is JJP Potc looks overwhelming and overly complicated (I feel same with SW which I played didn’t know a damn thing about what was going on). GOTG seems more approachable but I do already have IM, Tron, Met and Twd pro so not sure I could stomach another Borg pin.

JJP POTC is very approachable. You can have fun even if you don’t know what’s going on. It has six different ways to get Multibal (and they can stack) so there is plenty of crazy fun to be had. It’s one of the best pins ever made. I would recommend it to anyone.

#62 6 days ago

I want to say WoZ - I just love the way that pin looks and sounds but GD it just didn't shoot well. It's just not fun after awhile.

As an owner of jjp pirates and former owner of WoZ, pirates is absolutely positively an easier game to understand. WoZ is still a little bit of a mystery.

Monster bash wild be my choice.

#63 6 days ago

Since the original poster has POTC I would steer him to MBR for sure since we absolutely love that game if he was only going to buy 1 otherwise I still say getting 2 if you can do it is better so long as the 2 games are different - some Sterns tend to be the same game with different them and stuff on the PF IMHO.

Of course the ultimate would be an MBR, WOZ, and a couple of Sterns

#64 5 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

I want to say WoZ - I just love the way that pin looks and sounds but GD it just didn't shoot well. It's just not fun after awhile.
As an owner of jjp pirates and former owner of WoZ, pirates is absolutely positively an easier game to understand. WoZ is still a little bit of a mystery.
Monster bash wild be my choice.

Woz drew my family in the moment we laid eyes on that game, and after the first few hours of nonstop playing it, it got clear what was happening. Not long after that, getting to and beating the witch becomes the main objective - then onto the journey to sotr.... do it all again plus rescue multiball on extreme steroids.... playing woz is an experience. We played Pirates yesterday for an hour and I’m still kinda lost but looking so forward to getting it and diving deep into the amazing game. I just hope we like pirates as much as we love WOZ. MBr is gorgeous but after owning one years ago, the code needs more depth imho. Funny how we’re completely opposite here... but either way the op wins.

#65 5 days ago

I recentely bought a WoZ, earlier std edition and is very solid.
It looks amazing as you know and also plays amazing, the same will go for MBR.

I sold MM to buy woz, My preference goes to pins withh deeper rulesets with lots to do on a long term home enviroment.
For that reason I would gor for WOZ and gotg as a second option.

Youhave potc jjp and afmr, between those two what your family enjoys the Most ?
If its POTC them go for WOZ, if i is afmr, go fot MBr.

I can only have 2 family themed oins at my home, and they rotate every other year.

#66 5 days ago

My $.02

MBR. Simple rules. Basic 90’s platform style of bashing/shoot targets/lanes to advance to multiballs. It’s a great pin for people who want a quick fun game but don’t want a longer adventure. Easy to learn. Good flow. Funny humor. The remake looks awesome with the XL DMD. Similar to your AFMR which may be a bad thing. A lot of fun but not deep enough in a small collection IMO.

GOTG. Lots of flow on this one. VERY similar to MET layout, and that’s a good thing. Great combo of modes/adventure and bashing. It’s like taking MET and adding modes and a Spike 2 LCD. Beautiful artwork. Cool movie video clips. Cleland’s audio mix is a huge improvement over the stock. However I’m already sick of those old songs and I’m getting ready to make my own audio mix. Great theme IMO. Tons of fun. Better price.

WOZ. Absolute masterpiece. Unlike any other pin before it. It’s not similar to anything I can think of. Very deep adventure game like POTC. Excellent coding. Gorgeous cab and playfield that looks like art in your gameroom. It has a light show that doesn’t have a rival. Not much flow. Tough to beat. This game won’t leave my collection. Ever.

Out of those 3 I voted for WOZ. My prediction is that if you don’t choose WOZ now you will buy one later on!

Monkey wrench... Another option to consider in your collection that would bring variety is TWD Prem/LE. Very deep. Excellent coding. Also not similar to anything else I can think of. Theme/artwork may be an issue for wife/kids though. It’s not for everyone. Probably my all time favorite. Definitely the best Stern. Another one that will not leave my gameroom.

Nick

#67 5 days ago

After playing star trek yesterday, my wife is seriously considering us buying both WOZ and ST lol! Or GotG and ST. I should update the poll, but I think the feedback I've gotten from you all has been much more valuable than the poll. A lot of very helpful things, including some aspects I had not thought of. Heck I wasn't even considering ST until several of you mentioned it!

#68 5 days ago

woz and no comparison!

#69 5 days ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

After playing star trek yesterday, my wife is seriously considering us buying both WOZ and ST lol! Or GotG and ST. I should update the poll, but I think the feedback I've gotten from you all has been much more valuable than the poll. A lot of very helpful things, including some aspects I had not thought of. Heck I wasn't even considering ST until several of you mentioned it!

Dude don’t do both Guardians and ST; something about both their rulesets that don’t let them mesh well together in a small lineup. WOZ and ST would be amazing next to JJPOTC and AFM. To me, WOZ and JJPOTC are JJPs best 2 pins. WOZ is as great as JJPOTC - it’s both brutal, fun, deep, with lots of variety, and amazing theme integration. The display isn’t nearly as good as JJPOTC, and is probably the weakest of the 4 JJP games, but the game overall is fantastic.

Amazing 4 pin line up:
JJPOTC
AFMr
WOZ
ST (I prefer LE, it’s stunning and the light show is over the top. Don’t go with a pro, the left vuk is donkey shit flow killer and no lasers and light show is a big miss for the theme).

#70 5 days ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Dude don’t do both Guardians and ST; something about both their rulesets that don’t let them mesh well together in a small lineup. WOZ and ST would be amazing next to JJPOTC and AFM. To me, WOZ and JJPOTC are JJPs best 2 pins. WOZ is as great as JJPOTC - it’s both brutal, fun, deep, with lots of variety, and amazing theme integration. The display isn’t nearly as good as JJPOTC, and is probably the weakest of the 4 JJP games, but the game overall is fantastic.
Amazing 4 pin line up:
JJPOTC
AFMr
WOZ
ST (I prefer LE, it’s stunning and the light show is over the top. Don’t go with a pro, the left vuk is donkey shit flow killer and no lasers and light show is a big miss for the theme).

Thank you for the feedback. I was hoping with AFM and POTC that the GotG/ST combo would be ok. My kids like GotG, but I don't think they'd like the ST theme as much. Seriously considering WOZ and ST prem.

#71 5 days ago

Then do GOTG and WOZ - keeping the wife and kids happy and interested in pins is key. The more they play the happier you will be and all of the options you have tossed out have been good IMHO. MBR would be great as well but you have AFM so I think having more variety is better.

#72 5 days ago
Quoted from rai:

JJPOTC is probably the best pin ever created. The rules on the surface are actually quite easy to grasp. 6 areas on the pf to represent the 6 multiballs, and 6 areas on the display to represent as well. Chapters are not modes, but rather chapters of one of the 5 movies which you collect characters (souls) which are used for the final wizard mode of that movie. There are 5 skulls on the pf, each represent one of the 5 movies - shoot a skull to qualify a chapter for its movie, shoot the star map to start the chapter. It really is that simple, and If you can’t grasp that, then you may want to stick to arcade games just messin. The advanced rules, like all great pins (TWD, MET, WOZ, etc...) are learned later as you begin peeling back the layers.

As for SW; it is much much more complicated than that. That game is more dependent on learning what the countdown sound effects mean, but that’s another topic at hand. But I will say this, there’s a reason why a lot of great players (i.e. deadflip) like SW; the game is crazy Adrenalin once you learn the complex ruleset. And once you learn it; you’ll realize it’s not so complex after all.

#73 5 days ago

Good topic, great discussion.
I sold MM and shrek, got WOZ and I am starting to look for a second pin and there is a lot of valuable info here.

batman, SW premium or GOTG would go well with Woz. SW is incredible, did not like the first time but is so challenge and such a thrill

#74 5 days ago

I am going to see if I can convince the wife to get WOZ and ST Premium. I have a chance to take advantage of some great pricing on the ST due to the MGC here in Milwaukee coming in April. If not, it's going to be either WOZ or both ST and GOTG. I could always end up selling GOTG later if need be.

#75 5 days ago

Good luck keep us posted.

#76 5 days ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I am going to see if I can convince the wife to get WOZ and ST Premium. I have a chance to take advantage of some great pricing on the ST due to the MGC here in Milwaukee coming in April. If not, it's going to be either WOZ or both ST and GOTG. I could always end up selling GOTG later if need be.

I have a friend with a 15 pin colection ( afmr, mmr, dialed in, GB, etc), his son never had much interest for the pins untill he bought GOTG. If it is to be a family pin, dont underestimate the impact of a theme that matches you family interests.

In a small collection it is possible to find a game with great flow , great code and that generates interest to your family

#77 4 days ago

So we have decided! After a long discussion with the wife, she made some great points. WOZ is out of production, and while there is rumor there will be another run, there is also rumor that the "new" version will be a lesser version with "problem mechanicals" removed. I don't want a stripped down version, I want the full version in the wild today. Even if that turns out not to be true, it's still an unknown on when WOZ will actually be available again.

So - we are buying both a GotG premium and a Star Trek premium. I placed my GotG Premium order with zmeny at Flip N Out, because Zach is awesome and super easy to deal with. And I'm getting the ST Premium through Marco/Stern via the MGC show deal in April. This way, we play both, and if one starts to outshine the other, we can sell one and use that money towards a WOZ.

On that note: for WOZ, we will be buying a WOZ still 100%. But not until we have solid details on when and what is actually available. Worst case I'll buy a 75th or RR the next time they make some of those. I plan to buy that one from Chris at Kingpin who is also awesome. Chris goes out of his way to help his customers, and that is something I can attest to personally!

Thanks to everyone who posted, this honestly was super helpful, even though so much of this is subjective. People also provide some unique points.

#78 4 days ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

So we have decided! After a long discussion with the wife, she made some great points. WOZ is out of production, and while there is rumor there will be another run, there is also rumor that the "new" version will be a lesser version with "problem mechanicals" removed. I don't want a stripped down version, I want the full version in the wild today. Even if that turns out not to be true, it's still an unknown on when WOZ will actually be available again.
So - we are buying both a GotG premium and a Star Trek premium. I placed my GotG Premium order with zmeny at Flip N Out, because Zach is awesome and super easy to deal with. And I'm getting the ST Premium through Marco/Stern via the MGC show deal in April. This way, we play both, and if one starts to outshine the other, we can sell one and use that money towards a WOZ.
On that note: for WOZ, we will be buying a WOZ still 100%. But not until we have solid details on when and what is actually available. Worst case I'll buy a 75th or RR the next time they make some of those. I plan to buy that one from Chris at Kingpin who is also awesome. Chris goes out of his way to help his customers, and that is something I can attest to personally!
Thanks to everyone who posted, this honestly was super helpful, even though so much of this is subjective. People also provide some unique points.

GOTG Prem and ST Prem are great choices. Nicely done. Both are beauties with the full RGB and both are some of the best shooting Sterns ever made!

#79 4 days ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

GOTG Prem and ST Prem are great choices. Nicely done. Both are beauties with the full RGB and both are some of the best shooting Sterns ever made!

Yea the light shows on pinballs alone are worth the upgrade to me. Lighting is such a huge part of how a pinball "feels" and I think that is often overlooked.

#80 4 days ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Yea the light shows on pinballs alone are worth the upgrade to me. Lighting is such a huge part of how a pinball "feels" and I think that is often overlooked.

You will be ecstatic. I’m 100% with you. It’s hard to describe how much better the light show is in GOTG Prem until you see a few games on it. You didnt have a dud on the list. Get the other two when more money is “found”...

#81 4 days ago
Quoted from RandomKG:

You will be ecstatic. I’m 100% with you. It’s hard to describe how much better the light show is in GOTG Prem until you see a few games on it. You didnt have a dud on the list. Get the other two when more money is “found”...

Dumb question is the light show on the Prem different than the one on the Pro?

#82 4 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Dramatically. Prem LE has full RGB inserts.

#83 4 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Yes as was said. Since every insert bulb is RGB they can display millions of colors. On the pro, only a couple select bulbs are RBG and the rest are white with a single color insert. So the light effects and changes to the playfield are drastically different when the bulbs can be millions of colors.

#84 4 days ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Yes as was said. Since every insert bulb is RGB they can display millions of colors. On the pro, only a couple select bulbs are RBG and the rest are white with a single color insert. So the light effects and changes to the playfield are drastically different when the bulbs can be millions of colors.

Didn't catch that my apologies.

#85 4 days ago

Fantastic choices...congrats! With both of these games I think the gameplay is nearly identical between pro and premium, but there is no denying that the lighting effects and other additions really add to the experience. I am sure your family will enjoy them!

I am also heavily considering grabbing a GOTG (pro in my case) at MGC. Will require selling a great game to do it though...decisions decisions.

#86 4 days ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Didn't catch that my apologies.

Sorry didn't mean it as a "why didn't you read it" I meant it as a "like RandomKG said".

#87 4 days ago

So you will have POTC, AFM, ST and GOTG?! Nice mix of games and super family and player friendly!

#88 4 days ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

So you will have POTC, AFM, ST and GOTG?! Nice mix of games and super family and player friendly!

Yep! And eventually a WOZ too. Parties here will be fun. Good thing I have an escalera on the way though!

#89 4 days ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Yep! And eventually a WOZ too. Parties here will be fun. Good thing I have an escalera on the way though!

No need for an escalera. Woz is super light weight!

#90 4 days ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

What is the show pricing for a Star Trek Premium?

#91 4 days ago

Great choices ... have fun

#93 2 days ago

f3honda4me if you have the chance get a WOZ, code is very deep and it is so beautiful.
A must have for home environments, especially with kids around.

I got mine a month ago and I am amazed by the quality, by the game, by the code, by the light show...such a joy to play.

#94 2 days ago
Quoted from Mnluz:

f3honda4me if you have the chance get a WOZ, code is very deep and it is so beautiful.
A must have for home environments, especially with kids around.
I got mine a month ago and I am amazed by the quality, by the game, by the code, by the light show...such a joy to play.

Oh yes we will be buying one, but not until we know what is actually going to be available. YBR or whatever rumors. Soon as Chris at Kingpin knows what is available and when he is going to let me know so I can order one.

In the meantime, Zach shipped my GotG yesterday so hopefully get that sometime next week. Now all I need is my escalera shipped and with any luck also arrive next week so I can actually get GotG into my basement.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
$ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
PinballSTAR Amusements
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 90.00
Machine - For Sale
Oakland, NE
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 13.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 27.95
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Liberty Township, OH
$ 249.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside