Sorry.jpg
dick_measuring-stick.jpg
Unknown-3.jpeg
sternSD1.jpg
hum.png
Drax_Literal_Destroyer.jpg
gremlins_2.gif
KISS_LE.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Gonna take a stab at this....OP picked up game Friday, looking forward to weekend unboxing & playing his $12000 game. Unboxed Saturday morning didn't boot.
Lives in Denmark so couldn't call stern direct - and distributor doesn't open on weekends. Was frustrated and pissed off, so posted here.
I'd be pissed also.
Yes first world problems, but Pinside is just one large forum devoted to a first world hobby.

Yep, in the absence of a Stern user group, Pinside is it. Pinside is a great place to vent, however it isn't always an ideal place to get definitive answers (since Stern employees/leaders rarely post). I posted this last week and didn't receive much enthusiasm...I guess people are happy with the situation (or just have no hope that Stern is motivated to do more online support).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wish-that-stern-had-a-user-group-for-its-customers

#148 8 years ago
Quoted from HomeBrew:

I also have to say I like the way Williams machines lift up the playfield better. I got the playfield off the rail some way lifting it and it would not go back in. After a few tries I got it back in.

This happened to me as well. I've lifted PF's hundreds of times and I've never dropped one into the cabinet. The only hardware that's changed is the support rails (they are lower). The glides haven't changed. Fortunately, Rarehero came out to help and we reseated the PF...fortunately, no damage (but it wasn't a good feeling when it happened

#149 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Fortunately sterns customer service is the best in pinball history, but when you have people who aren't willing to take advantage of that before publicly bashing the company, you have to wonder if it's feasible for this to continue to grow as a home customer consumer product - something it was never meant to be in the first place.
I mean, read some of the idiocy in this thread..."if it were me, I would have called stern and been EXTREMELY ABUSIVE!!!"
Is that the kind of person YOU want to sell games to? This kind of unrealistic attitude isn't just about NIB, it will filter down throughout the entire hobby.

Great points. In an ideal world, distributors would be fairly close to every sale and they would help the non-hobbyist get through "issues". If a distributor isn't within driving/helping distance and all they did was broker the deal, it's hard to really see why they deserve a cut of the action. When I purchased my AC/DC Premium, it needed a populated PF swap and my local distributor (LSOG) came to my home and swapped it out...took about 3-4 hours IIRC. That type of service rocks.

If someone wants to own multiple pinball machines, they need to understand it's going to be a hobby for them. If they aren't comfortable with getting their hands dirty, then they need to pay someone else help. If this isn't acceptable and they can't deal, then they should stick to virtual pinball. Last time I looked, all the popular tables are available and they'll never breakdown!

#160 8 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Well there you go, you've heard it. $5 is $5.
By your explanation, if I buy a car for $40K and the main USB charging jacks doesn't work and dealership can't fix for two weeks but Napa has the part which will cost $50 - just fix the car on your own. USB ports sometimes fail all the time. It's not the car manufacturer's fault. $40K car, $50 is nothing. Right? Where do you draw the line? And don't reply, but I can still drive the car. You're smart enough to get the example.
Draw the line where you want and respect others to draw there's at they get what they paid for.

You've got it right.

#179 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's all up to you. A "cargument" - as coined by me, many years ago, is the obnoxious fallacy of comparing everything to cars when arguing. You know, every single gun control argument gets livened up with "cars kill people...are you saying we should ban cars?"
I hate carguments. If anybody is trying to "sound smart" while using a cargument, it's the cargumenter, but to anybody who knows even the basic laws of logic, they don't sound smart.
What were we talking about again?
oh yeah...pinball machines. You can't really compare the buying and ownership experience of a pinball machine to a car because they are completely different. Most car owners will go their entire lives without doing ANY significant work - major or minor - on their car themselves. For a pinball machine, the ratio is probably reversed. The majority of home pinball buyers know and expect that in some point in the life of the product, they'll be doing their own work on the machine. There's dozens of other reasons that pinball machines are inherently different than cars, but I'll let you guys figure those out for yourselves.

This makes a lot of sense, however for many of us, the 3 most expensive purchases are: home, cars, pinball machines.

So, when someone is discussing car or home buying experiences, it's more about dealing with the company, process and warranty. It's not about detailed analogies with the specific products. It's more about, hey, I spent a boatload of money on something and want the company to take care of me (which includes how the product was initially delivered).

As we all know, Stern's support works. I personally don't mind people venting (and I've done my share), however they don't really need to get upset until Stern's support fails them (which is unlikely if they are being reasonable).

In any event, cargument's don't bother me, but I respect your passion for trying to abolish them

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

If your monetary gap is home --> cars --> pinball you have no business buying pinball machines. Education and retirement are a couple of other expenses I can think of that should be somewhere in the middle.

With all due respect, your comment is distasteful. Hard for me to grok why you would try and advise me (or anyone else) on how I/we should spend our money.

Homes, cars, and pinball machines are tangible items with a fixed/known cost. Education and retirement are complex, variable cost, long-term expenses. See the distinction? I wasn't trying to advise anyone...just highlighting the obvious.

My kids both won major scholarships at top universities. I retired young. Do I now have your blessing to spend money on pinball machines? Please.

#202 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Can you somehow relate your browbeating Jalbert to cars or the automotive industry so the rest of us can understand it? Thanks in advance!

Ah yes How about this...if you have to take a car loan, you shouldn't be allowed to purchase a NIB pinball machine...only a beater.

#229 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's not about that at all, Kaneda. I'm a friggin' music teacher, but I don't go home at 3:30 and complain about how hard my job is like many other teachers do. I work until 8 at night giving lessons, and that's what finances my pins and whatever else I want to get.
I drive an Infiniti convertible. A pricey car, but it took me until I was 45 to be able to afford something like that. I've got teachers who look at my car and my pins and say, "Must be nice."
Yeah. It is. And EVERYBODY can do it if they make the right choices and work their ass off. And the one thing I won't tolerate is somebody telling me how I should have spent the money I worked my ass off to earn while they sat home watching Dr. Oz.

Very cool. Sounds exactly like my father...had a large private student practice to augment his modest teachers salary. Combine that with smart savings and investments and we always had "stuff" that other teachers didn't (pool, nice cars, game room, etc.). Guy worked his butt off...never took a vacation.

Spirited Pinside discussion on pinball are goodness. Telling people how to spend their money is just wrong...especially when they have no context whatsoever. I've known some hoarders/collectors that spend money they don't have, but it's still none of my business to tell them how to live their life. None of my business!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sorry-stern?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.