Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20130418_192007_568.jpg
IMG_20130418_191836_946.jpg
IMG_20130418_191757_741.jpg
DSC01025.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I'm thinking of picking up one of these System 9s and I wanted anyone's opinions on them. I've played the simulations of both of them but not put much time on them. I like both of them for their looks and sounds although I like the look of Sorceror more and the sound of Space Shuttle more. Mainly I was wondering which has the best rules and would be more addictive when played long term.

If you are wondering why these two games, it's because of how easy System 9 backboxes are to remove which is very useful for getting the table in and out of the room it is to live in. I think System 9s are some of the most modern pre folding backbox tables.

#2 11 years ago

IMO I slightly like Sorcerer better for long time use. The pin is more challenging than SS. However, if your buying it for the family, I would purchase SS. SS has a nicer family attraction appeal (flashing & sounds) that will keep novices playing. My 10 year old and I play Sorceror along with SS at the Allentown Pinfest every year and he just loves SS and has been begging me to buy one. The art work on Sorceror is awesome IMO, however, it's much harder to keep a ball in play for a while for a novice. Hope that helps you, good luck in your decision.

#3 11 years ago

Cheers. I am leaning towards Sorceror. The artwork is so cool. I'd love to pick up a really nice example. I'm not a huge fan of the Space Shuttle artwork especially that backglass but the sfx and layout are great.

An important consideration is which would be easier/cheaper to find in the UK?

#4 11 years ago

Pretty sure both have hinged backboxes. I know for a fact sorcerer does. It is an internal hinge, unlike later externals. You still will have to unbolt it. Both are hard to find in nice shape, yet Space Shuttle recently had the PF remade. Sorcerer is a different story. PF's are being done by direct ink, and are not quite the same quality as screened. A true screened playfield if being reproduced by CPR is at least a few years out at this point.

#5 11 years ago

The hinge isn't the issue rather the number of connections when removing the backbox. I was told Sorceror was very easy in this regard. I assumed it was a pre folding design for this reason. I guessed Space Shuttle would be the same given it being the same System 9 model.

Thanks for the info about PFs. I wouldn't want to be shopping the table as that's not my thing. I'd just like a nice one to play for a while.

#6 11 years ago

I think I would go with sorcerer.

#7 11 years ago

I think they are both awesome, wires are the same so that's a pointless part. If your limited on pin collection sorc. Is the way to go if you like the art.
They are each way cool games In their own right.

#8 11 years ago

Space Shuttle is a good game, but Sorcerer is a GREAT game. Great artwork, trick ramp shot, and to me, the best sound FX on any machine.

#9 11 years ago

I personally would choose Sorcerer for the art and sound.

#10 11 years ago

I'd take either one in great shape.

But, while PF, plastics, ramps, cab stencils (and BG on the way) are available for Space Shuttle, you won't find that kind of support for Sorcerer.

So if the Sorcerer is not in really great shape, better to buy the game that saved pinball.

#11 11 years ago

I have a sorcerer and love it!
And I too had to remove the backbox to get it downstairs. Very easy to do and as long as you label the connections it's a piece of cake to put back together.
I do love space shuttle as well but they are much easier to find so if you can get a decent sorcerer DO IT!
They only made a small number of them and most were played to death.
Just my two cents.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

But, while PF, plastics, ramps, cab stencils (and BG on the way) are available for Space Shuttle, you won't find that kind of support for Sorcerer.

Sorcerer plastics are just recently available from Planetary.
Good thing because that center one always breaks!

I've had my Sorcerer almost for almost a year and still love it. The challenge keeps me coming back. I was just thinking earlier this morning that if I ever found a Space Shuttle near me, I'd definitely pick it up. If I had to pick one, it'd be Sorcerer.

#13 11 years ago

Thanks for replies guys. Sounds like I might struggle to find a Sorceror though. I'm already on the search for one but in the meantime what games of that era might be easier to find bearing in mind the backbox issue?

#14 11 years ago

If your after a system 9 there are only 3
Comet
Sorcerer
Space shuttle
Or you could go to early system 11
You could get high speed
Grand lizard
Or system 11a b or c

#15 11 years ago

Once you've done it a few times, it only takes a few minutes to remove any backbox.

Sometimes I'll deliver a "fold down" to a customer, but it wont fit through the basement door.

It's never a worry. 5 minutes latter the game is reassembled.

Don't let it concern you one bit.

#16 11 years ago

Really? I've done it with my DW twice and there are tons of connections and they all need to be labelled. I've had problems both times when reassembling and it's hard to identify exactly what that problem is. I've also done it with a LOTR which was easier thankfully but still not a 5 minute job. Maybe you are amazing at that kind of thing and can dismantle a playfield in your sleep but I find it quite difficult.

Quoted from Pinballgeek:

If your after a system 9 there are only 3
Comet
Sorcerer
Space Shuttle
Or you could go to early system 11
You could get High Speed
Grand Lizard
Or system 11a b or c

Are those all simple backbox removals? I was under the impression that all Sys 11 weren't. I'd love a High Speed. I think I know someone selling a nice one too.

#17 11 years ago

"feel my power !!!"

#18 11 years ago

IIRC High Speed and Pin*Bot are both the same style backbox as the Sys. 9s... They were some of the first Sys. 11s and have the same backbox style as the 9s...
As far as your decision...TOUGH call!! I have all 3 of the sys. 9s and I love Space Shuttle and Sorcerer...I say go for BOTH!!!

Phoebe

#19 11 years ago

I have never heard anyone pick a game on backbox connections. Seriously it's 5 min once you get good at it. It's super easy.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Really? I've done it with my DW twice and there are tons of connections and they all need to be labelled. I've had problems both times when reassembling and it's hard to identify exactly what that problem is. I've also done it with a LOTR which was easier thankfully but still not a 5 minute job. Maybe you are amazing at that kind of thing and can dismantle a playfield in your sleep but I find it quite difficult.

Many people disconnect all the board connectors, but, on most sys3-9 games there is a large black connector and a large white connector further down the playfield harness that disconnects everything at once.

Depending on the the game there may also be a ground strap, speaker plug and GI plug, but nothing that would take you more than a minute to disconnect.

NOTE: Do not mix up the black and white playfield connectors upon reassembly. The right flipper will instantly energize, informing you of a long CPU board repair in front of you....

#21 11 years ago

I'm having a Sorcerer get a high end restore job right now, and am really pumped up about it. Just such an awesome looking game in general. I'm totally biased based on my excitement level for the Sorcerer, but in my biased view go for the Sorcerer.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

I have never heard anyone pick a game on backbox connections. Seriously it's 5 min once you get good at it. It's super easy.

Whatever. I've done it 3 times. It's a PITA.

#23 11 years ago

Sorcerer is better, at least to me. Awesome game!

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Many people disconnect all the board connectors, but, on most sys3-9 games there is a large black connector and a large white connector further down the playfield harness that disconnects everything at once.

Doesn't every Williams game after 1977 have the big wiring harness disconnects?

People are not really pulling all those little connectors off of the CPU and driver boards, are they??

#25 11 years ago

The obvious answer is both. I've had 2 different Sorcerer's and will never sell my Space Shuttle.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

People are not really pulling all those little connectors off of the CPU and driver boards, are they??

They/we are AFAIK. That's the only way to remove a backbox for nearly all games from the 'folding head' era onwards. Before that, backboxes were designed to be removed for transport so the the connections were designed to be easily seperated.

#27 11 years ago

Gotta go with Space Shuttle!

Close airlock!!!

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Space Shuttle is a good game, but Sorcerer is a GREAT game. Great artwork, trick ramp shot, and to me, the best sound FX on any machine.

Yeah.... what he said.

Sold my Space Shuttle. Sorcerer is a keeper.

#29 11 years ago

I have a Sorcerer that I'm fixing the backbox on. The bottom of the backbox has cracked and separated from the back, which causes the whole thing to wobble precariously. I'm fixing the crack and adding two System 11-style latches on the back of the backbox just to be sure.

I think, though, that if I had to choose between Sorcerer and Space Shuttle, I'd choose Space Shuttle. It was the machine that saved Williams from bankruptcy in the early 80s, and it's still big fun to play.

#30 10 years ago

I have both and love them both, but if I was forced to pick one I would pick Sorcerer. You can't go wrong either way. These two are usualy blownout because of the lack of clear coat, there are good options for getting them fixed up so that is a big plus.

#31 10 years ago

I vote/have a Sorcerer

#32 10 years ago

I've got a Space Shuttle right now and really like it a lot.. Never played Sorcerer..

#33 10 years ago

I think Sorcerer is a better game then Space Shuttle. I used to own a Sorcerer and love the challenge and great flow and game play for 1985! Space Shuttle is definitely a better game for the family though if you have smaller children playing. I remember my 5 year old son telling me the backglass on Sorcerer was kinda scary.

#34 10 years ago

Get both if you can both are awesome games, but if I had to choose one Sorcerer would be it, as I like it enough to own . Also I am waiting for a nice CPR playfield.

DSC01025.JPGDSC01025.JPG

#35 10 years ago

I vote sorceror or comet

#36 10 years ago

Am I right? Seriously, if anyone has tips how to remove a WPC backbox in 5 minutes please share.

Glad to see Sorceror getting so much love. Definitely on the look out for it now.

#37 10 years ago

I like both games If I could find both for good prices I would make room for both.

I lean slightly too SS but good old fashion fun.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Am I right? Seriously, if anyone has tips how to remove a WPC backbox in 5 minutes please share.
Glad to see Sorceror getting so much love. Definitely on the look out for it now.

Yank all the plugs pull the nuts on the elbow hinge thing. Takes 5min.
Pitting it back could take 7min I will give you that.. Wanna be careful putting the backbox onto the game and all.. All connections are keyed ..and they all share same - similar wire color .. You just get good at it.

#39 10 years ago

Maybe it's all obvious for someone that knows how a pinball machine is put together but for someone like me who knows very little it's very risky to just disconnect everything without labelling every single wire and connector and also taking lots of photographs. This takes a long time and even then I've had big problems on reassembly. Yeah I could dismantle it in 5 or 10 minutes but then I'd almost certainly get stuck putting everything back. Have you ever considered that other people are different to you with different knowledge and skills?

Maybe my DW was just a terrible example with seized connectors, untied cables plus it was my first experience with any table. I just wish I didn't have to deal with all that crap, hence this thread and the choice of table that avoid that hurdle.

#40 10 years ago

chocky

The only way you get better at doing things like this is to do it over and over. Take a deep breath, take your time and just do it.

#41 10 years ago

Nah, it just takes experience. Once you do it 10 times, it's easy. I have actually removed a pinball head blindfolded (in the pitch black dark). However, I would not attempt to assemble one in the dark.

#42 10 years ago

I think I might've had my confidence badly bruised by my first attempt to do a head removal. I do accept that I would get better and better the more I do it. Maybe I shouldn't rule it out...

I still fancy a Sorceror though.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from cichlid:

Not all, I think after system 11 that stopped.

#44 10 years ago

I have both a Space Shuttle and a Comet. Both are family friendly if kids are involved. My SS was just restored with LED's and a new playfield. All new plastics, shuttle decals, spinners and ramps. It looks awesome!!! Everyone fights over playing it when we have get togethers.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from BigB:

I have both a Space Shuttle and a Comet. Both are family friendly if kids are involved. My SS was just restored with LED's and a new playfield. All new plastics, shuttle decals, spinners and ramps. It looks awesome!!! Everyone fights over playing it when we have get togethers.

Did you do the work yourself? Care to post pics?

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Did you do the work yourself? Care to post pics?

im not far from you (relative to the global speaking of this forum) and am currently ass deep in a 100% restore.. welcome to come visit or just hit me up email we can chat pinball

#47 10 years ago

Here are a few pics.

#48 10 years ago

Here are a few pics.
Someone else did the work.
IMG_20130418_191757_741.jpgIMG_20130418_191757_741.jpg IMG_20130418_191836_946.jpgIMG_20130418_191836_946.jpg IMG_20130418_192007_568.jpgIMG_20130418_192007_568.jpg

1 week later
#49 10 years ago

OMG, did you use a cigar box pinhole camera to take those first two shots? They are very bad!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 129.00
Cabinet Parts
Bob's Pinball Stuff

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sorceror-or-space-shuttle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.