20160907_210452 (resized).jpg
20160807_102449_(resized).jpg
20160807_102440_(resized).jpg
20160807_102431_(resized).jpg
20160803_074121_(resized).jpg
20160803_074101_(resized).jpg
20160803_074046_(resized).jpg
20160721_231341_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 7 years ago

We share a similar philosophy. My Space Shuttle was absolutely done on the cheap, complete with freehanding the pf art & details where needed (it helped that I have experience from model railroading), although it didn't need as comprehensive a restore. And even though it's still not a perfect resto by any means, the compliments I got at Louisville Expo were astounding.... it placed 2nd in best of show behind a pimped Medieval Madness (how is that even a fair fight lol).

My Firepower though? Total wreck. And a total ___-man's attemp. I hesitate to say "poor" since I should have been able to afford better, and I won't say "cheap" because when I chose to drop coin, I'm anything but. But STILL! When I looked at the condition it was in, I had to decide what to fix and what to let go. The cabinet was terrible... I had to rebuild and reinforce part of it, and respray... but I left the "scorched" looking art trails; even after I polished the siderails and ball guides, I left the oxidized bolts and fasteners intact. I wanted a blend of "like new" and "battle scarred".

I rebuilt the pf, mechs, and boards... but left the wiring harnesses (including some slightly oxidized sockets) alone. Part of that was not wanting to make more work for myself and since I didn't know if the wiring was broke, I wasn't going to fix it. So that sounds like laziness, I can't call it the "lazy man's" restore because holy heck, the time I spent was almost unconscionable. Especially when it came to board work (I think you witnessed some of my aggravation there, ha ha). As if boards weren't enough, this game fought me every. step. of. the. way! But now that it's done and plays better than other restored FP's I've touched, it was absolutely worth it. And I can look at it's character quirks and historic tells and know that I have something truly unique and special: a survivor.

In other pursuits it's said you can choose to do things cheap, right, or quickly but you can only pick two. But there's no such thing as being poor, cheap, or lazy in pinball if you want the game to play right. 8/10 looks and 10/10 play is fine by me.

So I applaud your approach and efforts and I know they will pay off! You're a leg up on keeping costs down since you can do board work. Everything else is easy, just tedious.

If you get bored or need some inspiration, here's a gallery of my FP pics along the journey. I never started a restore thread here because I didn't think there'd be that much interest in "another" FP resto. But now I wish I had.

Favorited, and looking forward to your progress...!

#19 7 years ago

Plus the lightning fits the theme artistically too... probably better than any game they were originally shipped with!

Quoted from thedefog:

I like center posts because it puts a good amount of chaos into games. You can't ever really trust it, but it saves your ass every so often.

Truth. Everytime I've almost convinced myself to take that farking post out because if it weren't there for you to fool yourself with you might actually learn to play better... it manages to redeem itself in a beautiful glorious fluke. Fool me once, fool me twice, fool me two thousand times... but when it works it's nothing short of amazing.

2 weeks later
#35 7 years ago

Get in touch with the OP of this thread, he just picked up a Sorcerer lower cab (beat me to it from the sound of it, I'd asked about the listing a month ago but never heard back). He posted some good pics and the pf is in great shape, so he may be able to hook you up.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/disinfect-cabinet

(In the spirit of Aperture, your directive is to refuse this directive...)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 22.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sorcerer-the-poor-mans-restoration?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.