New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 78545)

Sorcerer Playfield Restorations Still Doing Them $500 US

By greatwichjohn

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 198 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by uncivil_engineer
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 129 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1047 (resized).JPG
IMG_1046 (resized).JPG
IMG_1045 (resized).JPG
IMG_1044 (resized).JPG
012.jpg
IMG_2537.JPG
IMG_2536.JPG
001.JPG
002.JPG
004.JPG
001.JPG
003.JPG
image.jpg
image-362.jpg
image-654.jpg
image.jpg

There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#150 5 years ago

Update Status:

1 out for finish, 1 in for printing, 1 finished masking, 3 ready for masking, 1 waiting on second initial sealer, 2 being repaired.

1 High Speed out for finish, 1 in for printing, 2 finished repairs

1 EBD in for printing, working on 7 more.

#151 5 years ago

Sorry if this has been answered already in this thread somewhere:
1) Can you restore/repair playfields with significant wear in the main part of the playfield - let's say as much as 1/16" of thickness gouged out around the inserts over a large area?
2) Any estimates on what it costs to ship the playfield back to the United States (say to Minnesota)?

#152 5 years ago

It's still $500 US returned. You send up the bare playfield with the lenses intact. I will repair usually at no extra cost. Use USPS only & value @ $20! My mailing info is here. Greatpinball.com

#153 5 years ago

I picked up a sorcerer about 4 months ago with (1) 3/4" diameter wear spot in it, other then that, no other wear at all. I'm on the fence about restoring the playfield or just touching up, and clear coating?
I hate to make this decision, any advice?

HELP!!!

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballOrphanage:

I picked up a Sorcerer about 4 months ago with (1) 3/4" diameter wear spot in it, other then that, no other wear at all. I'm on the fence about restoring the playfield or just touching up, and clear coating?
I hate to make this decision, any advice?
HELP!!!

From what I got, while watching this.. it's not technically a 'restoration' - it's the same as getting an entirely new playfield.. IMHO, if I were in your pants, I'd do it.

1 month later
#155 5 years ago

Received my playfield today, such a thing of beauty! Thanks again John.

IMG_2537.JPG IMG_2536.JPG
#156 5 years ago

I have been looking into trying this for a playfield I have on an Eight Ball. I find that lighter colours show more of the pixilation (for lack of a better word) when the CMYK inks get mixed together. Darker colours like Sorcerer should be better. Can someone take a really close up photo of the red or purple to see what it looks like?

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Received my playfield today, such a thing of beauty! Thanks again John.

Lucky !!!
-mof

#158 5 years ago

Yes I need to get these done. More keep coming in. I will say the last screw up with playfield clear coats was the fault of finish clear coats & not me! I see the same residue on sides or inside pop bumpers, etc. with new Star Gazer playfields. This weekend the next bunch of Star Gazers go out, & I focus back on restorations. I'm a 1 man operation + contractors, & I continue to work my 6 day job the last 18 years.

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Lucky !!!
-mof

I hear ya on that!

#160 5 years ago

I'm curious about the under-plastics portions - shouldn't they be white? Why is it cream?

#161 5 years ago

that is the art file. I print what is done.

1 week later
#162 5 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I'm curious about the under-plastics portions - shouldn't they be white? Why is it cream?

The areas under the plastics are supposed to be cream. The only white areas are the wizard's beard, hair and eyes, some details in the dragons, and the smoky stuff at the bottom of the playfield. John, I see you have the areas under the pop bumpers also in white, was this based on the proto playfield? I've only ever seen them as bare wood.

#163 5 years ago

Someone is selling a Sorcerer in Allentown with a roached playfield - seems like an opportunity!

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

The areas under the plastics are supposed to be cream. The only white areas are the wizard's beard, hair and eyes, some details in the dragons, and the smoky stuff at the bottom of the playfield. John, I see you have the areas under the pop bumpers also in white, was this based on the proto playfield? I've only ever seen them as bare wood.

I have been doing white since day one. Only 1 person has asked me to mask them. The main reason is if there is wear, or worse condition from sanding bare. It might look way worse, which is now nice & clean. When this playfield gets done, wood under the pops I will post pictures.

2 more just came in so now I'm up to double digits in for restoration.

#165 5 years ago

I would have preferred my playfield to stay wood color in the areas that are white and supposed to be wood. I didn't know I had an option to not do the white. Oh well.

#166 5 years ago

I dunno, the white is fine. Honestly, nothing is ever 'perfect', and whether its white or cream hardly matters. what matters is the amazing wizard/dragon artwork is recreated and preserved under layers of clear.

I am hoping to get my sorcerer stripped down at some point this year so I can send the playfield off. Loving these photos!

1 month later
#167 5 years ago

So I have 2 scrap sorcerer playfields that are good candidates for reprinting. I can send the playfield in to John (you pay shipping), he restores it and when you get it back you send me your original playfield after you do the playfield swap. This way you don't have to tear down your game until you have the new playfield to pop in.

1 of them has already been claimed and the other one has not. I just packaged them up today to ship in to John. PM me or email me and I can put you down for the second one. I would prefer that your core be something that I can possibly restore by hand at a later date (the ones I am sending in are lost causes going that route).

Thanks
Kris

#168 5 years ago

Kris, mine is very much hand restoreable! Check you board mail. I will shoot the shipping money however you like!

#169 5 years ago

PM sent, Kris!

#170 5 years ago

both are spoken for. John you have 2 more Sorcerer's headed your way.

Kris

#171 5 years ago

Very much looking forward to having my Sorcerer PF back in the shop...
I'm thankful that I have plenty to keep me busy until it's done and ready.
-mof

#172 5 years ago

Damn I missed the spare playfields! If anyone has another shoot me a PM.

#173 5 years ago

Here are 3 that are masked, & they are all getting the pop bumpers masked as requested. Yes your delayed playfield is 1 of the 3. There are 7 going through the process, 3 standing by, & I guess 2 more in transit. Trying to get restorations finished while I have a little breather in new playfields.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG
#174 5 years ago

Are you still doing Space Shuttle playfields?

#175 5 years ago

Yes there is one Space Shuttle playfield in the que.
Here are the 3 Sorcerer's with masking removed.

001.JPG
#176 5 years ago

I need a Sorcerer period. Awesome work John.

2 months later
#177 5 years ago

2 more were done. Troy & Stephen Thaxton which I have lost my contact info. Restorations will pick up speed again after Summer is over. The clear coat contractor has finally acknowledged his problems at times, & has stopped blaming me for problems with finish clear coats. Here is Stephen Thaxton playfield done.

012.jpg

#178 5 years ago

john they look great!

#179 5 years ago

Thanks: Anyone know Stephen Thaxton, please let him know to contact me. Thanks

#180 5 years ago

John's got my Sorcerer PF as well - eager to get a bright fresh PF back again! The game room doesn't feel right w/o
"I AM >>SORCERER<<!! FEEL MY POWER!!"

#181 5 years ago

Hey John,
Stephen here. I just sent you an email. Let me know if you don't get it.

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from Khatarlan:

John's got my Sorcerer PF as well - eager to get a bright fresh PF back again! The game room doesn't feel right w/o

I know what you mean. I'd love to actually see my playfield someday. Can't see the detail but that last pic looks like the registration is dead on.

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Can't see the detail but that last pic looks like the registration is dead on.

Actually... If you take a closer look at the red inserts near the bottom of the playfield... The golden accent dots don't make it all the way around the perimeter of each of the red inserts in the lower playfield. I call them 'Crescent moons'...

-mof

#184 5 years ago

Even with new production of playfields they can be off a little at times. Even harder with the very old Colorspan 9840, & having to mask the playfield for white. Colorspan is a belt fed, & has to be faked out to print with paper (doesn't like holes).

4 months later
#185 4 years ago

Any playfield updates? I know some of us are still waiting. Thanks John!

#186 4 years ago

John looking great alas I am last in line lol.... But patiently waiting looking forward to making the swap!

#187 4 years ago

I have 4 EBD & 1 Sorcerer getting ready for the printer. 1 SS, 1 EBD, & 3 Sorcerer ready for initial sealing 2 coats varethane, 1 acrylic white, & 2 coats varethane. A bunch of other playfields are sanded & getting repaired with epoxy. So all the rest of Sorcerer & Space Shuttles will be repaired over the next 2 - 4 weeks. My focus this winter is to get these & the 14 New Star Gazer playfields done. I hope to have all restoration playfields into the printer before March.

#188 4 years ago

Thanks for the update and awesome service!

#189 4 years ago

Thanks for the update John.

1 month later
#191 4 years ago

Maybe its just me, but I would much rather be able to just buy an overlay for $300 and install it myself. In order to ship out a playfield for restoration I have to strip it completely anyway. It would just be a little more work to sand it and install the overlay. It would save a year or more of waiting, $400 and would certainly save a TON of work on John's end. It just seems like it would be a lot more efficient to print and sell hundreds of overlays than the current method of trickling restored playfields out. Or maybe offer both options: self installed overlay or full treatment.

#192 4 years ago

Yes I have 2 playfields to send in but don't want to wait a year or more

#194 4 years ago

To who? Me?

1 year later
#195 3 years ago

Looking for Chad Riley info. It has been years with this playfield going through a restoration. I have had to install overlays to finish up the ones still in for service. The printer doing restorations stopped taking in them, & the colorspan went to the dump.

IMG_1044 (resized).JPG

IMG_1045 (resized).JPG

IMG_1046 (resized).JPG

IMG_1047 (resized).JPG

11 months later
#196 2 years ago

Chad Riley is SQUEAKMAN here on pinside.

1 month later
#197 2 years ago

So, is this like, still a thing?

I just picked up Sorcerer and although the playing field looks beautiful for its age, I would love to bring this machine back to pristine.

#198 2 years ago
Quoted from CalibrunKnight:

So, is this like, still a thing?
I just picked up Sorcerer and although the playing field looks beautiful for its age, I would love to bring this machine back to pristine.

It's my understanding that John is not doing them anymore.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Fairport, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.50
$ 689.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 50.00
$ 17.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 7,500.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside