002.JPG
004.JPG
001.JPG
003.JPG
image.jpg
image-362.jpg
image-654.jpg
image.jpg
There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

After years of doing these for Sorcerer, Space Shuttle, & Star Gazer playfields. The life span of the Color Span 9840 uv inkjet printer is at the end of its life cycle with my printer. They have some parts from another retired model, but they won't get anymore computer boards for it.

Paying customers come first, which there are none at this time. I'm trying to wrap up the free restorations on High Speed & Eight Ball Deluxe. Also restore my own Evel Knievel, Xenon, & Eight Ball Deluxe playfields. This is the last year, if the printer goes down it ends. If the printer goes down, those with free restoration playfields will get $100 US or double credit to be used on my products.

The focus of my playfield & back glass production will be what no one else is interested in doing. If there is little support of art coming my way the end of 2014, I will continue on with pinball production. But will look to get involved in other products non pinball related.

www.greatpinball.com

#2 10 years ago

How much for a sorcerer overlay? Ed

#3 10 years ago

So it is $600 paid after the Sorcerer playfield is restored or is money due up front? Any pinside discount? I have been waiting for someone to repro these but I'm starting to think its never going to happen.
edit: Just saw the $100 price reduction.

#4 10 years ago

It's a special $500 US a playfield returned to USA or Canada. You never know if CPR is going to all of a sudden run playfields. The $100 US refund is if the playfield(s) sent in don't get done, & for the few playfields in for free years ago don't get done.

The other printer that does my back glass production is doing my new playfield production also on the same printer. Later this year for Stern Star Gazer & Seawitch.

More info on restorations here: www.greatpinball.com

#5 10 years ago

Are you able to do Xenon pfs?

#6 10 years ago

I have 3 of my own, wait & see.

#7 10 years ago

Im in on this John. We corresponded via email last weekend and I have been busy with the teardown, which is almost complete. I should be ready to send it off in a couple days. Thank you in advance for the work you are about to put into my playfield!!

1 month later
#8 10 years ago

I wish I could find a second sorcerer play field to get restored, so I can just swap out the play fields once they are done.

#9 10 years ago

2 are here. 2 are coming. Still open for others at this time.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

2 are here. 2 are coming. Still open for others at this time.

Is one of those mine? I sent mine to you last month but never confirmed to make sure you got it. I wrote my name and phone number on the underside of it. Really excited.

#12 10 years ago

Thanks. This is awesome that you're doing these. Sorcerer is such a great pin but the playfields did not hold up well. It's starting to get a lot of love. On a craigslist ad selling another pin most of the responses I got were people asking if I would sell them the Sorcerer they see in the background.

#13 10 years ago

My Sorcerer Play Field Shipping out Tomorrow to John.

1 month later
#14 9 years ago

I've always been on the fence about this because of:
"If they don't pass this test the playfield gets an overlay installed instead, "
and
"So far the rejection rate is approximately 1 in 20 playfields."

If I had some way know if mine would make the grade, I would send it out for sure.
Can you put my mind at ease, John?

I could have it shipped out to you by the end of May.

#15 9 years ago

My Sorcerer PF should arrive (via UPS) in Halifax this week. Looking forward...
-mof

#16 9 years ago

hopefully, it was sent ups, not usps

#17 9 years ago

I'd be interested in seeing some progress pictures if are inclined to do so John. Just curious how the process is moving along.

#18 9 years ago

I guess I'll have to take the plunge..

Do you have room for one more Sorcerer PF?

#19 9 years ago

Yes, the one from California did arrive #5. Please ship USPS only, not UPS. I got lucky & got them to value at $20 & a gift. My info: greatpinball.com

I'm sanding & doing repairs. Post some pictures soon.

#20 9 years ago

Yes, the one from California did arrive #5. Please ship USPS only, not UPS. I got lucky & got them to value at $20 & a gift. My info: greatpinball.com
I'm sanding & doing repairs. Post some pictures soon.

Yay!
-mof

#21 9 years ago

When you sand these do you clean up the rollover switch slots and other holes/slots/etc that might need some attention?

Mine is stripped and will mail it out tomorrow or Tuesday.
USPS valued at $20... does it need insurance or anything special?

#22 9 years ago

No insurance. I epoxy them if needed. Owners drill out holes when they get them back from this or lots of clear coats

Update for Sorcerer's in for restoration. All 5 are being repaired with epoxy where needed.

4 weeks later
#23 9 years ago

Still slowly getting these ready while doing new playfield production. 4 of 5 cleared, ready for masking for white, & further clear before printing hopefully by the end of June. Here is #5 that got repaired, will get sanded bare again, & start over.

001-392.JPG001-392.JPG
002-639.JPG002-639.JPG

Here are the other 4 ready for masking & spraying gloss white. Then they get another 2 coats of clear before inking. More info on the restoration process of direct ink: www.greatpinball.com

The masking is Oracle 810 mask. Which I use to protect roll overs on new playfield production when I epoxy them in, & initial clear coats.

005-505.JPG005-505.JPG 006.JPG006.JPG 007-364.JPG007-364.JPG 008-793.JPG008-793.JPG 009.JPG009.JPG
#24 9 years ago

Such awesome work, wish I could find a spare one to send for restoration. Love my Sorcerer, but she needs a playfield badly.

#25 9 years ago

Awesome John, nice to see a bit of progress. Its always cool to see the steps that go into something like this!

#26 9 years ago

Looks great so far. Can't wait to get mine back. I just got my whole cabinet stripped down ready for repair and painting so it matches my new playfield.

2 weeks later
#27 9 years ago

Looking good, I think mine is #6, hopefully it arrived in good shape. Can't wait to see how things are going.

#28 9 years ago

Here is a update, the first 4 should get mounted to mdf & off to the printer in the next week or so. Last 2 get inspected for repairs before 2 clear coats for sealing the wood.

001-631.JPG001-631.JPG 002-724.JPG002-724.JPG 003-262.JPG003-262.JPG 004-703.JPG004-703.JPG
#29 9 years ago

#7 playfield has arrived for restoration. Just checked with the printer & I will have the first 4 in for printing next week. Still taking in playfields for restoration.

#30 9 years ago

What is the cost if I have a playfield already sanded/cleared AND I don't want the final clear coat from the contractor?

#31 9 years ago

If anyone comes across a spare playfield please contact me.

#32 9 years ago

I have edited the deadline until the end of this year. Seems like my printer is happy to continue on. So 7 Sorcerer playfields here & another coming in for service.

#33 9 years ago

Update: I'm not happy with the way the clear coats got a lot of dust particles in the 4 playfields. Really bothers me if I see crap on light lenses. I just can't send it in for printing this way. So there will be a further delay while I clean them up. I will gently sand them until I'm happy no particles of dust over the lenses, & none felt on the playfield.

Then they get cleared 1 - 2 coats, I get to re mask & spray white gloss again, remove masking, & spray 1 - 2 more clear coats.

No sense crying the blues, shit happens. So back to starting over, & I will try to clean my spray booth area better.

#34 9 years ago

Sorry to hear this John but really respect that you are picky. I am also pleased with the fact that you are going to provide the best possible playfields. I am one of those four and while I cant speak for the others, I certainly don't mind the delay. Thanks for your dedication.

#35 9 years ago

Update: I'm not happy with the way the clear coats got a lot of dust particles in the 4 playfields.

We are in good hands!
I appreciate you doing your best work.
Time is a non-factor with a service like this.
The frequent updates are appreciated.
-mof

#36 9 years ago

It was a holiday in Canada, which I got to work 6 hours double time, & another 4 hour double time call out with the City I work for 6 days a week. Came home thinking lets get these to the printer, but not to the standards that these are done. So I sanded them tonight, & will try to speed up & get them back on track for finishing.

I have learned to have patience over the years doing this. Some times its problems with contractors & at times its just errors in my performance. Today was my 50th birthday, so time to get back on track with pinball products.

Also it saved me from making a bigger mistake with all the new playfields. 4 is better than 40.

#37 9 years ago

Happy birthday!

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

Sorry to hear this John but really respect that you are picky. I am also pleased with the fact that you are going to provide the best possible playfields. I am one of those four and while I cant speak for the others, I certainly don't mind the delay. Thanks for your dedication.

I believe I am one of the 4 also and am ok with delays as long as they don;t turn into years. I have plenty of other projects and many more things I can work on with the Sorcerer parts I still have. I have no doubt that when done these playfields will be spectacular! Happy Birthday John!

#39 9 years ago

I am looking for a "Baby Pac-Man" PF!!!

4 weeks later
#40 9 years ago

Just a quick update on July. Nothing much restoration wise on Sorcerer playfields. I will get back into them this weekend. 7 are in, & 1 more next week.

001-640.JPG001-640.JPG 003-597.JPG003-597.JPG
#41 9 years ago

I'm still hunting for a used sorcerer playfield to send you to work your magic.
Your playfields look amazing.
Would love to make sorcerer my first playfield swap.

#42 9 years ago

thanks there are sorcerers out there, keep looking.

#43 9 years ago

There was a guy on klov that had 2 sorcerer playfields for sale. 1 was populated. Ed

#44 9 years ago

Just found a pretty worn playfield and mine is on the way up. Can't wait to watch the progress.

1 week later
#45 9 years ago

one is coming to you

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

There was a guy on klov that had 2 Sorcerer playfields for sale. 1 was populated. Ed

What was the story with that flake? Didn't answer posts, didn't return pm's, didn't do nuthin'. Could have really used that pop'd playfield.

#47 9 years ago

6 are just about ready for masking for white. I ordered about 12 sets from my sign shop. Hope to get them printed in September for all of them.

1 month later
#48 9 years ago

9 playfields in for restoration. 4 are almost ready for inking. 2 almost ready for white. 1 repairs. 2 to start sanding. Last 4 months have been busy at my 6 day a week job + life. So things will move along better with Fall season.
Top 4 in booth 1st clear over white, 1 more before mounting to 1/2" mdf for printing. 2 needed repairs that's why they are masked. Epoxy repairs to bare one & serious screw damage on the other one. Blue one was touched up, decent job.

001-455.JPG001-455.JPG 002-5.JPG002-5.JPG 003.JPG003.JPG 004.JPG004.JPG
#49 9 years ago

John, can we assume these will get back to us in the order they were sent? I think I was number 4. I'm not really in a hurry, but the anticipation is building for me. I can't wait to see my playfield in person. Its gonna be sweet!

#50 9 years ago

I would think they will come back in order for first 6. Latest ones should be quicker. You can see I'm a beer drinker.
The printer is pretty quick, & likes the challenge of playfields. My goal is all back by xmas or sooner.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 198 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sorcerer-playfield-restorations-last-call-end-of-february-2014-500-us and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.