You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

75B5EF73-B0EC-4B0D-AF47-EB624DEEABB2 (resized).jpeg
78B87F36-387C-4ABF-AD4A-91D9B6BB9C71 (resized).jpeg
D7BC2B82-420D-4404-8351-97B11D43336C (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

I have dead Sorcerer that I am trying to get running for a family member. Game lights up all the GI come on but no Displays. Game doesn’t boot. I do not see any issues with corrosion on the MPU. And it is reading “0” as it is okay when powered on. I threw in a new Power Supply Board I had available just to see if it might be an issue with consistent power. Still no change. I reseated all connections and removed and reseated the Roms. I can see a hint of light in one of the displays.. and now I can get a game sound when I hold the coin door button. Speaker is humming. I replaced the batteries and plan to move them off the board. Any ideas on this? Bad Roms? I am fairly novice but not helpless.

75B5EF73-B0EC-4B0D-AF47-EB624DEEABB2 (resized).jpeg75B5EF73-B0EC-4B0D-AF47-EB624DEEABB2 (resized).jpeg78B87F36-387C-4ABF-AD4A-91D9B6BB9C71 (resized).jpeg78B87F36-387C-4ABF-AD4A-91D9B6BB9C71 (resized).jpegD7BC2B82-420D-4404-8351-97B11D43336C (resized).jpegD7BC2B82-420D-4404-8351-97B11D43336C (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago

2 balls in the trough? Is it in attract mode?

#3 1 year ago

Yes. Two Balls in the trough. But I can not tell if I am in attract mode since I don’t have displays. I also find it hard to believe all of the displays would be out. That’s why I switched out the power board..

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazzy121:

Yes. Two Balls in the trough. But I can not tell if I am in attract mode since I don’t have displays. I also find it hard to believe all of the displays would be out. That’s why I switched out the power board..

My Space Shuttle they were all out, someone hooked up something wrong or something catastrophically failed on the power supply and smoked every single glass.

If you are in attract mode you should have light patterns on the playfield. It doesn't sound like its booting up.

#5 1 year ago

It isn’t in attract mode. Stagnant lights.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazzy121:

It isn’t in attract mode. Stagnant lights.

Define please.

You have GI but no insert lamps or are the insert lamps locked on?

#7 1 year ago

I have no inserts. Only above playfield lights. Slingshot light. Pop Bumper lights.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazzy121:

I have no inserts. Only above playfield lights. Slingshot light. Pop Bumper lights.

MPU isn't booting up, need to start there to find out why.

I only mention this as you are giving conflicting information in first post.

#9 1 year ago

That’s where I am looking for some guidance. If I have a MPU reading “0” and the game won’t boot. What would be the best way to diagnose from there? Roms? Looking for suggestions.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazzy121:

That’s where I am looking for some guidance. If I have a MPU reading “0” and the game won’t boot. What would be the best way to diagnose from there? Roms? Looking for suggestions.

Have access to a eprom burner?

https://pincoder.ca/

#11 1 year ago

Right on! I will try that. Thanks.

#12 1 year ago

Check for at least 3.5 volts DC at pin 24 on the U18 RAM module.

#13 1 year ago

that battery holder looks suspect, look at the left hand side.

as above, check battery voltage, also check fuses.

#14 1 year ago

I am getting 2.3 volts DC at U18.
:/

#15 1 year ago

this might just be good news, it may just need a new battery holder, or better yet do away with the batteries and install a NVRAM

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_3_-_7#MPU_Batteries_.26_Memory

#16 1 year ago

Sorcerer is a system 9 game. The regular RAM is soldered in the board.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Hazzy121:

If I have a MPU reading “0” and the game won’t boot. What would be the best way to diagnose from there?

A methodical approach is generally better than jumping around. Try the Pinwiki suggestions in order: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_System_9_-_11#MPU_boot_issues

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sorcerer-not-booting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.