You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160126_212232_(resized).jpg
20160126_212024_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi all,

I'm trying to swap a known good MPU from Space Shuttle into Sorcerer. I swapped the three Rom chips on the MPU, plugged it in and now I'm getting erratic behavior. The MPU shows Code 0, which I know is a good sign. Displays show game info. When I use coin door switches to try to get out of audit mode, my displays dissapear completely. I try turning the game off and on and the displays now show nothing. If i leave it off for about 15 minutes, I'm able to finally duplicate the behavior. I'm using a known good XPIN power supply.

Any thoughts on where to start? Was there more I needed to do to swap in the MPU other than put the Sorcerer Roms on the board?

Thanks,

Ed

#2 8 years ago

Make sure you don't have 1J13 and 1J14 swapped on the MPU. There is no 'key' and can easily be placed in the wrong spot. The one with the black goes on top. One of those is the signal from the coin door switches.

Mike V.

#3 8 years ago

This look right?

20160126_212024_(resized).jpg20160126_212024_(resized).jpg

#4 8 years ago

I'm getting this....all four displays initially showed data and then went blank....leaving only the credit display. Flippers are active at this point. I then use coin door switches to get out of audit mode, I hear a sound effect, displays go bank and only GI is on.20160126_212232_(resized).jpg20160126_212232_(resized).jpg

#5 8 years ago

After which, if I unplug and let the game sit for about 15 minutes I can duplicate the behavior.

#6 8 years ago

System 9 MPUs have jumpers that are different for certain titles. For example comet and SS are different. I dont know if the jumper for Sorceror and shuttle are the same. Check the manual. Maybe its an easy fix.

#7 8 years ago

Aha....that just may be it. Trying it when I get home.

#8 8 years ago

Agreed on the jumpers. Even the replacement universal boards have different game-specific jumper series.

#9 8 years ago

Looks like Space Shuttle uses a single 27128 game ROM whereas Sorcerer uses two game ROMs, a 2764 and a 2732.

#10 8 years ago

The two roms I do have....hopefully will try the jumpers tomorrow. Hate it when life gets in the way.

Quoted from dothedoo:

Looks like Space Shuttle uses a single 27128 game ROM whereas Sorcerer uses two game ROMs, a 2764 and a 2732.

#11 8 years ago

Jumpers were it! (Well, that and remember to actually install two balls)

Thanks all!

Now I just need to fix the sound...no matter what I do there is very little volume.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sorcerer-mpu-boot-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.