You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0465.jpg
IMG_0483.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi,

Little cracks or dark riddles but all over the areas with bright colour.

Should I sand and put a wood paste first, or can I dry sand and touch up immediately ?

Also, as shown an the second picture, the cabinet was repaired with an eye like piece of wood. the piece does not come exactly at the level of the cabinet. I could level that area, but the cabinet black colour seems to be "striated" not plain. How could I get a surface which is the same everywhere ?

Thank you for the help

IMG_0483.jpgIMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0465.jpgIMG_0465.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I think that eye is a patch made to the plywood before it became a pinball cabinet. They often cut out knots and use a standard patch like that. I bet it is original to your game.

#3 8 years ago

That's planking. I'm not sure you can fix that. Someone else will chime in I'm sure.

#4 8 years ago

You could try brushing on the black paint and see if you can match the striations. Of course if you brush the paint on, matching the gloss will be a little harder. Get a scrap piece of wood and play around with it.

#5 8 years ago

To repair planking is a lot of work and I'd say hold off and clean and play unless you plan to do a 100% restore. If so, Greatwich John is doing sorcerer repairs/reprints for $500
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sorcerer-playfield-restorations-last-call-end-of-february-2014-500-us

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Also, as shown an the second picture, the cabinet was repaired with an eye like piece of wood.

That patch is called a "boatman" and was installed by the plywood manufacture.

Pinball machines were made from C grade plywood with many voids and boatmen until the 90's when CCC started experimenting with MDO plywood.

If you look under the lockbar on games like Whitewater, you will see that the front of the plywood is faced with a thin layer of medium density fiberboard - no grain, no patches, and it came preprimed.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Little cracks or dark riddles but all over the areas with bright colour.

Should I sand and put a wood paste first, or can I dry sand and touch up immediately ?

Send your playfield to Greatwich John and let him re-print it, and give it a new clearcoat for $500.

If you have a hundred hours of free time, then :

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#8 8 years ago

ok, so I leave the cabinet as it is. Thanks for the explanation.

Yes I have 100 hours to spend, I did not purchase this wreck for playing, as recent games fulfill this need. I am not afraid of work thanks for the link.

I already made a proper job on a viking with airbrush. At least I am happy with the result, but for sure, it is not ultimate.

Thank you for your quick responses

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 22.50
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 749.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sorcerer-how-to-touch-up-playfield-cracks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.