Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by DarthXaos
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00006.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

So my barber has a Soprano's pinball and I played a game while waiting for a chair to open up. I've never played this game before, but quickly got into the groove, apparently stacking a couple of multiball modes and achieving CAPO rank. Won three games.

This title seems to be one not discussed here often and kind of falls through the cracks. I enjoyed the typical fan layout and the flow from flipper to flipper via the various ramps was nice. What's the long term appeal or lack of appeal for this game and why not much love?

#2 11 years ago

Great post. I heard good things about it on podcasts, but have not seen any real details or insights about this pin. Sounds awesome though, great show.

Pinsiders... who has this one and loves it?

#3 11 years ago

I had one, liked it a lot but some might think its not very deep or too easy.

#4 11 years ago

I like it quite a bit but have only played it in the wild. Tons o fun.

#5 11 years ago

I played a Sopranos in Vegas, shortly after it came out. Very fun game, IMHO. It must have been a short run, like CSI.

#6 11 years ago

I loved the show, and I think the pin is actually pretty fun despite it getting dissed in the ratings. I actually find myself going back to play it more & more, and I have a fairly decent sized collection. For me, the biggest drawbacks are (1) the DMD animations (they're pretty generic) and (2) the playfield artwork (it's kind of ugly IMO). The toys & shots are decent, I love hitting that left ramp to see the strippers spin on the poles, and the speech is well done especially when you have the vulgarity setting turned on. I think being such a big fan of the theme helps me overlook most of the game's shortcomings.

#7 11 years ago

I really like the pin, and hope to add it to my collection one day soon.

#8 11 years ago

Lots of F words unless you modify the settings.

I always think of Lethal Weapon's Joe Pesci during the entire game for some reason.

Fun though, I play one often @ CP Pinball

#9 11 years ago

I'd like to get another crack at it. I onl;y played it once and it was at a bar and probably not the best condition so i didn't get into it much. Not a fan of the show that much so I didn't have that connection.

#10 11 years ago

I personally really enjoy The Sopranos. It's a great game.

#11 11 years ago

Not a sopranos fan, but i love the pin! I know someday one will be sitting in my gameroom!
    Where's the fucking money!!

#12 11 years ago

It's very much a Gomez design. Shot lay out almost identical to his other pins.

I've found for Gomez pins, pick your theme you like the best. They all pretty much feel alike .. (except for the rule set of LotR. Keefer out did himself with that one).

That said, I enjoyed the time I have played on Sopranos. Big fan of the show as well.

#13 11 years ago

As much as Sopranos is frequently compared to LOTR (a Gomez game also), I feel it flows a little bit better than LOTR. One hangup is the drain that sometimes occurs out of the pops to the guide which deflects it SDTM.

I think the game is often dismissed as easy, because many players run up through the ranks fairly fast to Underboss and think "that's it?"

The true test in the game is not only reaching BOSS, but beating it. One of the potentially annoying parts of the game in reaching BOSS is completing the 5 episode requirement which requires a friendly spinner. If the spinner is not cooperative that can be a rather long grind.

Many of the modes are rule of X types. Hit the shot X times, collect the JP, repeat until the mode objective light is lit solid.

The executive game is a sucker mode. Just fold and move on.

The main issue I have with the game is that it is not suitable for many audiences. I recall playing it at an arcade, got to the F-mode with a multiball and there was a little girl near the pin with her father playing whack-a-mole and I felt very odd about the situtation.

DSC00006.JPGDSC00006.JPG

#14 11 years ago

I have it and enjoy it alot. I have to agree with PinB "I think being such a big fan of the theme helps me overlook most of the game's shortcomings. " My dad plays it when he comes over more than any of my other pins because he is a huge fan of the show as well.

#15 11 years ago

800 milly is an insane score. Rober Gagno has the GC on the local one around here and it's like 220 milly. Something like that.

#16 11 years ago

I like the pin, but the fu....fu....fu pop bumpers make it one my kids can't play....thus not one I can buy

#17 11 years ago

The language is over the top, I agree. Those settings can be put into "family" mode, correct?

#18 11 years ago

Even TSPP has "adult" sound settings. Nothing too offensive in that game, but it is quite funny when Homer calls a small child a "Stupid Failure", gets me every time.

#19 11 years ago

I liked it ,, and the Banker is enjoy-n it Now .. The Sopranos is a FUN Pin !!!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sopranos-pinball-price-check

#20 11 years ago

I rarely say this, but I kind of hate The Sopranos. To put it in relevant terms, the game simply annoys the f**k out of me.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

The language is over the top, I agree. Those settings can be put into "family" mode, correct?

Yes you can turn off the swearing.

#22 11 years ago

I like it a lot. Only play it on Location though. But still, I enjoy this Pin
    If the right deal and price comes up, I would buy one and most likely keep it.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from tonystein24:

Yes you can turn off the swearing.

Good to know

#24 11 years ago

What's the current going price on a sopranos?

#25 11 years ago

I think it is a good game. I like the black cabinet art, and the game follows the Sopranos theme well. If you didnt know the show, then some of the things would appear odd. "the Stugots" comes to mind.

Personally I find these fan games too easy (not just Sopranos) but I do have one and won't be selling it anytime soon. Enjoy playing it from time to time.

Looks really good with a LED install and red undercab lighting.

Dave.

#26 11 years ago

Sopranos is a great game and it took me a long time to track down a nice HUO example. I am a fan of the TV show so that is a bonus. The safe is one of the neatest toys that Stern has made IMO.

#27 11 years ago

I am on the lookout for one here in GA. It seems everyone that did have one in the area no longer owns one. I've played it on location several places, and I LOVE this game!

#28 11 years ago

It's a great game and I have had mine since '05 NIB,The game is very challenging and completing the modes to reach Boss is not that simple....I love mine...Love wiseguys,Mobsters themes.
    The game does not get much love but that's to the buyer's advantage of picking one up at a good price.

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I played a Sopranos in Vegas, shortly after it came out. Very fun game, IMHO. It must have been a short run, like CSI.

They made a bunch of them, rumor figures of around 3500

#30 11 years ago

When you adjust to family settings, the audio is still done very well, and really doesnt detract form the game at all..

#31 11 years ago

I would like one, but they don't come here (central OH) very often.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

When you adjust to family settings, the audio is still done very well, and really doesnt detract form the game at all..

So does it just replace "F&@k" with "frig" or something or does it change it completely?
    I've watched videos of gameplay of this machine on Youtube et al and it looks really
    fun, but I've often wondered what the swear words would change to if you put it in 'family' mode?

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from lonnkor:

So does it just replace "F&@k" with "frig"

Toot,Toot,Toot,frigin etc. is what you'll hear cuss words are cut out...

#34 11 years ago

Sopranos was my first pin and it's still a favorite of visitors. It goes great next to my bar. I'd never seen the series but stumbled across one at a bowling alley while searching for a WPT which I thought I wanted. The music is excellent and very addictive. It has a simple layout and rule set, so it was a perfect starter pin for me. The flow is great and in probably over a thousand games I've never had a ball jam, just maybe two GI bulbs replaced. The pop bumper shake down is cool, executive game is a video poker mode, and when you score the super jackpot at the ship, a female has a loud screaming orgasm. So, yeah, it's adult oriented, but cool for adult parties.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

The main issue I have with the game is that it is not suitable for many audiences. I recall playing it at an arcade, got to the F-mode with a multiball and there was a little girl near the pin with her father playing whack-a-mole and I felt very odd about the situtation.

I think that would be F-ing hilarious myself

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sopranos-whats-the-dealio and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.