(Topic ID: 127332)

Sopranos owners club! (members only) Where's the $*#$@! money?

By GoBlue

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,200 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 hours ago by DK
  • Topic is favorited by 82 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7631 (resized).jpg
IMG_7630 (resized).jpg
IMG_7629 (resized).jpg
IMG_7627 (resized).jpg
IMG_7628 (resized).jpg
IMG_7626 (resized).jpg
IMG_7625 (resized).jpg
IMG_7624 (resized).jpg
IMG_7621 (resized).jpg
IMG_7623 (resized).jpg
IMG_7622 (resized).jpg
IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
20240106_174232.jpg
20240106_174249.jpg
20240106_122537 (resized).jpg
IMG_4208 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lemansfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#784 3 years ago

Hello Everyone. My first post. Only game I have currently is The Sopranos. Bought it new years ago because my wife and I are both huge fans of the show. Hoping to get my second machine very, very soon!

3 months later
#809 3 years ago

Had my Sopranos shut down, moved cross-country and put in storage for a few months. All told it's been unplugged and turned off for the past 7 months. Got it out of storage and set up over the weekend. Wasn't terribly surprised that it re-set all of the settings and high scores. Some issues though since powering it back on.
1. When I turn it off and then turn it back on again each time it has a message on the display to open the coin door, it won't do anything until I do that. Once I do open the coin door it seems to be happy and is ready for a game. Annoying to open the door every time, how do I fix this issue?

2. Each time I've started it up (just a few times now), it doesn't remember any of the settings I changed the previous time, only things I've done are turn the volume down and set it for free play. Each time I turn it back on I have to do this again, why is it not remembering the changes I made?

3. Not necessarily a problem with the machine, but as luck would have it on my first game in months I hit the buoy that leads to the boat, when I did the plastic piece snapped in half and went flying. Did some google searches and cannot find that replacement part, does anyone know where to find it? Any ideas why it would've snapped in half after my first game, did it get brittle or weak from being in storage?

#810 3 years ago

Okay, duh, I figured out my problem. I'd never replaced the AA batteries! Now that I researched I realized this was a rookie mistake and I should have been replacing them every year or so.

The battery holder fell down off it's location on the board. The batteries did have some corrosion on them but thankfully nothing got on the board. I knocked the corrosion off the battery holder when I took the batteries off.

Is it okay to just put new batteries in there, or because of the minor corrosion should I get a whole new battery holder?

The battery holder appears to be only held in with a plastic bracket thing and a zip tie, there are two little prongs that go into the board. Is that correct? Nothing needs to be soldered, it just needs to make contact with those little prongs/pins?

3 weeks later
#817 3 years ago
Quoted from VirtualMayhem:

Hey everyone - had my Sopranos pin for several years and love it. Looking to do a few upgrades on it not
Does anyone have an example of a Color DMD on a Sopranos? I want to buy one and I see LCD and LED versions and would like to see examples of those before I buy if possible.

I believe fattrain is the guy to ask for all things Color DMD related.

2 weeks later
#823 3 years ago

I was changing out the rubber on my right slingshot and tightened something too much and snapped off the end of one of the threaded posts. It seems to be threaded along the entire length of it. The manual doesn’t provide much detail on the slingshot parts. Could someone please help a dummy? Which part did I break?

And then if I’m able to get the right post can I remove the entire thing from the underside of the play field?

372AC6F9-9A9C-4872-83E2-E0D3906F06EC (resized).jpeg372AC6F9-9A9C-4872-83E2-E0D3906F06EC (resized).jpegF534BC22-CFBD-486B-A485-5B08F5017FA6 (resized).jpegF534BC22-CFBD-486B-A485-5B08F5017FA6 (resized).jpeg
#825 3 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I can double check tmrw but im99% sure that’s #3. - standard 6-32 post screwed into a t-nut in the underside. You can try to unscrew with pliars but I’d personally try double nutting it from the top with 2 #6 nylock nuts and back the lower up against the top one and it should then unscrew the post from the t-nut

Thanks. I felt kinda stupid for doing this to begin with. I managed to extract it from under the play field. I’ll see if they have something at the hardware store so that I don’t have to special order something.

1 week later
#832 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

DOes the manual state size and qty for coil sleeves needed on the game? I don't have a sopranos at home but I'm pulling one off route to shop out. Figured it could use a sleeve replacement while I'm at it. I thought marco used to have sleeve kits but not seeing it.

Is this the information you’re looking for?

6A79EF80-A69A-4112-A076-9DAC04A572BD (resized).jpeg6A79EF80-A69A-4112-A076-9DAC04A572BD (resized).jpegC56DF0E1-8314-4810-A2C1-5CDD86EB868E (resized).jpegC56DF0E1-8314-4810-A2C1-5CDD86EB868E (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#835 3 years ago

Got the highest praise from the wife the other day. We were talking about dream pin themes (hers being Grateful Dead). I said, well, if they come out with a Grateful Dead machine I guess we’ll have to sell Sopranos. Her answer was perfect, music to my ears.

“We’re never selling Sopranos, I love that game. If they come out with a Grateful Dead pinball we’ll just have to have a fourth machine”!

Sopranos really is an underrated hidden gem.

1 month later
#842 3 years ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

Awesome! Thank you for your continued work on this.
Question for youse guys, has anyone come up with a good fix for the drop target flinging the ball into the glass and into the drain? Ive tried a new spring, shortening the spring, and replacing the target itself, but its really bumming me out as I just repainted the entire cabinet and I can feel my paint job scream out in pain. I usually only go for the target via backhand, but during multiball its not so easy to avoid.
Did the drop target do this from day one? Seems like something that would have been accounted for in development.

I bought my game NIB back in 2005. Early on I was frustrated with the ball hitting the drop target to the boat and like you said, flying through the air and straight down the middle. I contacted Stern back at that time and they sent me a new drop target. I don't remember the old one now, but I know that the one I have now is more rigid, had a couple of small rivets in it that seem to make it less springy. I can hit that target from either flipper without any problem. It would be worth some searching to see if that was a part that became a replacement.

1 week later
#845 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Curious to hear thoughts from those who've replaced all incandescents with LEDs. My Sopranos is basically brand new (see my earlier posts as to why I say that). One incredibly minor thing that's been annoying me is that it seems like a bulb here and there goes out very often. Each time one does I have to figure out which exact type it is then order a bunch of the same type, rinse and repeat. I just wonder if I'd be better off replacing them all with a full LED kit. I don't want to take away from the original look of the machine too much though. I suppose one option would be to get the LED kit then choose which bulbs to keep vs swap out i.e. maybe keep those awesome yellow incandescents in the Episodes sign, replace others. I know it's a matter of opinion/taste, just looking for anyone's experience/feedback when it comes to this.
I'm also curious if anyone has installed custom game blades and if so, which ones? Looks like there are about 4 different types out there. The stock blank/black sides have always felt like something's missing.

I installed full LEDs throughout a few months ago. I’ve had my machine since NIB 2005, and putting LEDs in made it look like a brand new machine again. I would not hesitate to just do it throughout. I picked up a complete kit from Comet and even with the episode lights was thrilled with how it looks.

The blades are another story. I wasn’t thrilled with any of the choices on those. I ended up going with the metal side blades, the Bada Bing ones. Immediate buyers remorse on that! There just isn’t enough clearance between the play field and the sides, so it gets scratched to shit every time the play field gets lifted. Total bummer.

#851 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Shoot. I was leaning toward the bada bing mirror blades. Are these are the ones you're referring to that don't provide enough clearance? https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/the-sopranos-mirrorbladez-stern-pinball

Yeah, same ones sadly.

7 months later
#913 2 years ago

Been thinking of doing the color DMD install. How difficult is the actual installation? Is there just once source for the parts?

1 year later
#1093 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

That's amazing! I'm curious to know what S/N yours is!
I guess I never posted details about my NIB that I found/bought in 2020 (S/N 191545). You've inspired me to share some details in celebration of your NIB find.
Mine was originally gifted by Stern to actress Edie Falco due to her audio work on the pin (I think they gifted a few of the early builds to other actors as well). Long story short, she had never unboxed it / forgot about it. After she came across it in storage in 2020, she decided to sell it. The timing of me looking to buy Sopranos was impeccable. Prior to her selling it to the distributor I bought it from, he had her sign the backglass. The playfield quality is immaculate. A bulb craps out here and there (since I've decided to keep the incandescents at least for now) but otherwise I've had little to no mechanical issues after owning it for ~3 years. Signed backglass photo attached.

Dude, that is AWESOME, and so lucky!

4 months later
#1143 7 months ago

Only thing I can think is maybe it’s one of those settings where you can add some text where it’s the “jrcmic arcade” or something like that. Not sure where that is in the settings, but I’d look there. Did someone else own it before you? Maybe they went to change that and just gave up at A?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Louisville, KY
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lemansfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sopranos-owners-club-members-only-wheres-the-money?tu=lemansfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.