(Topic ID: 127332)

Sopranos owners club! (members only) Where's the $*#$@! money?

By GoBlue

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,196 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by jrcmlc
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
20240106_174232.jpg
20240106_174249.jpg
20240106_122537 (resized).jpg
IMG_4208 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3552 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230903_010956166 (resized).jpg
break (resized).jpg
IMG_8797 (resized).JPG
IMG_8793 (resized).JPG
IMG_8794 (resized).JPG
right outlane plastic (resized).jpg
sopranos backglass (resized).jpg
AACB409F-F23F-45F2-898A-7D7308F06DA1 (resized).png
There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 24.
#201 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Thats awesome, will send a PM as instructed

Got it thanks. I'll let ya know

#203 6 years ago

I am contemplating buying a playfield protector since my pf is in such a good state.
Any thoughts on this? Is the game hard or easy to "top shop"?

Will need to remove many plastics when adding LEDs so thats why i thought about adding a protector while at it.

Also, should the mylar in the bumper area be removed before adding a protector? So many question.. where the @$$$!&& answers?

#204 6 years ago

Fine to leave Mylar. Not too bad to shop -- average to easier side id say..pretty straight fwd and not a ton of stuff to remove.

Pf should stay fine though in home environ.. with cleaning and waxing. I'd consider leaving as is

#205 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Fine to leave Mylar. Not too bad to shop -- average to easier side id say..pretty straight fwd and not a ton of stuff to remove.
Pf should stay fine though in home environ.. with cleaning and waxing. I'd consider leaving as is

Yeah its at our club,so will get more plays than at home. Thats mostly why, and also to keep it in its current state. But it already had 7500 plays, so..

#206 6 years ago

This was the era Stern playfields were of much better quality.

Mine has had 1000's of plays and the outhole is perfect.

Compare to my XMENLE I used to own - it has bad wear there after 100 plays!!

#207 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

This was the era Stern playfields were of much better quality.
Mine has had 1000's of plays and the outhole is perfect.
Compare to my XMENLE I used to own - it has bad wear there after 100 plays!!

True, I was almost shocked when I saw it had had 7500 plays.. dunno if its really that much, and when/if it potentially has been reset at a time since 2005, but still. Only wear is a minor wear just below the fish kickout. But if not a pf protector, then Ill just mylar it.

#208 6 years ago

Where's the $*#$@! money?

Not in my pocket anymore, that's for sure, because I just bought a Sopranos!

Routed game with the usual Sopranos issues (busted plastics, safe wiring issues, etc), but those should fix up nicely. Like the above comment said, this era of playfield must be more solid than the recent ones, because there's virtually no wear I can see on the playfield area itself, even in the hard to reach areas like the orbits. This game has been routed to hell, so it's impressive to me that it's as solid as it is. Just some minor wear at common places like the kickout/shooter lane and center trough drain.

I'm looking forward to cleaning this one up and making it look nicer again. LEDs and LED OCD board in-hand, new legs and side rails ready to go, new flipper bats, new safe decals, replacement plastics are in the mail as well. Wish I could swing a Color DMD. I have seen it on this game and it looks nice!

#209 6 years ago

Oh my I just noticed yesterday the sexy lounge light being lit in the Stugots when locking the first ball!
I would really like to enhance that somehow, must look into if its possible to get the same type of color ina led or ledstrip or something and mod the boat a little =) Also maybe actually do soemthing with the GI leds behind (in eyesight) the boat to enhance the lounge light effect

#210 6 years ago

Back in the club with sopranos numero 2. Missed it too much. Nice playfield but plastics are beat and shit led job I need to change.

IMG_20170511_202907941 (resized).jpgIMG_20170511_202907941 (resized).jpg

#211 6 years ago
Quoted from Droptargets:

Back in the club with sopranos numero 2. Missed it too much. Nice playfield but plastics are beat and shit led job I need to change.

Welcome back!

Mmm i see what you mean. I went with coin takers led kit and I like that it is generally stock white with only a few color ones. I think I've done all my games actually in CT kits.

#212 6 years ago

Agree, I feel the artwork and plastics coem to life the best in white GI, more often sunlight color than natural white (as Comet sells).
Although som colored GI might fit for specific areas of course. i saw someone have purple GI's under the Badabing ramp, which looked kinda neat, with most other GI white.

#213 6 years ago

It's getting there, any nos plastics would be awesome !

IMG_20170512_224359166 (resized).jpgIMG_20170512_224359166 (resized).jpg

#214 6 years ago

Are there no spot lights in the middle pf? Totally could use some. My sopranos is at a friends house so I haven't seen what it looks like in a while...

#215 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Are there no spot lights in the middle pf? Totally could use some. My sopranos is at a friends house so I haven't seen what it looks like in a while...

Nope -- on boat and 2 on the dance floor. Pinball bulbs kit puts several on top of the slings at middle of Playfield. Could diy it too for pretty cheap, def lights it up nice.

#216 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I forgot to put lights in them.

#217 6 years ago

with spot lights that would totally look all nice
I'll have to see how the LED's are in mine once I finish the GI. May have to get some spots

#218 6 years ago

I have to ask if any sopranos owners could help me check a thing.
When I played a gametoday, I managed to stack Badabing MB + Stugots MB. Apparently, this starts a ball save which seems to go on for at least a minute or more, and while the ball save was blinking the trough up-kicker kept on repeatedly kicking every other second as if a ball was constantly in the trough, even though all four balls were in play. (I cleaned the opto lamps and reseated connecters to the opto card, TO no avail)

When the ball save ended, this behaviour stopped. If I am in either only stugots or badabing MB, this does not happen.

Could anyone be so kind to check on their machine if this is happening for you too? If not, any idea what could trigger this, as it only happens when both MB are stacked. Seems like a bug?

Also, the insane long ballsave when stacking seems rather stupid and unecessary, but I have not found any adjustments to turn the MB ball save of. Any ideas regarding this?

Thanks a lot
Morten

#219 6 years ago

You likely have a bad opto receiver and/or transmitter board. It's a very common failure point on games of this era. You can test the optos in switch test mode. Slide playfield out, put game in test mode and slide a piece of paper to break the beam of both the lower and upper optos on the board in the bottom of the trough where the ball kicks out I bet one of them doesn't work, or works only intermittently. It is a cheap part, Marco has them.

#220 6 years ago

That is not normal behavior. 1 minute ball save? Check menu settings. For sure there's a ball save but I think it's only 15 to twenty second range

#221 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

That is not normal behavior. 1 minute ball save? Check menu settings. For sure there's a ball save but I think it's only 15 to twenty second range

Til now I have put "Freeze" to off, which disables ball save on plunge at start of a ball, but none for multiballs.
I will double check again tomorrow, but it goes on for such a long time that its silly.

#222 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

You likely have a bad opto receiver and/or transmitter board. It's a very common failure point on games of this era. You can test the optos in switch test mode. Slide playfield out, put game in test mode and slide a piece of paper to break the beam of both the lower and upper optos on the board in the bottom of the trough where the ball kicks out I bet one of them doesn't work, or works only intermittently. It is a cheap part, Marco has them.

Thanks, will check tomorrow. But still I would believe it would have been much more random and intermittent if its bad opto boards..? now this happens every time I start both multiballs, and lasts until ball save ends. If I only start one of the multiballs, it doesnt happen, as mentioned. Really wierd..

#223 6 years ago

I'll be damned, you were right Lermods !
I discovered it was not the stacking of multiballs in itself that caused this behaviour, but rather when the trough was empty. I locked one ball in Stugots, then started badabing and since all balls were on the playfield (3 in play, 1 in stugots) this erratic kicking started.

I took a closer look and BADABING!, the lower led transmitter was dead, no red light.
Luckily I had a new spare Opto transmitter from Stern, originally for my Walking Dead which fixed the issue!

#224 6 years ago

I'm happy to now be a member of this club as I just received my game purchased from another Pinsider!

Fun game! I have a question on the F**king Big Points mode though in which you apparently get 3 million (?) and every switch hit triggers a swearing callout. In the 20+ games I've played so far, I've yet to have this mode awarded. The Big Points award (500K) has been awarded lots of times and the adult setting is on. Is there something else that I need to set, install code-wise, or achieve in the game in order to activate the F'in Big Points mode or does this just not get started that often?

#225 6 years ago

Is the game in tournament/competition mode? After i put my game in tournament mode i havent seen the big fucking points mode, so i am curious as to if it is never rewarded in competition play?

#226 6 years ago

Mine landed on big points pretty often when in adult mode. Think it's on standard settings.

#227 6 years ago

lol btw I tried to remove the fish yesterday, the thing seemed stuck one something Removed the two screws on each side and one in the back...It doesnt seem to be more things holding the fish body back?

#228 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Is the game in tournament/competition mode? After i put my game in tournament mode i havent seen the big fucking points mode, so i am curious as to if it is never rewarded in competition play?

Thanks - I don't think that it's in tournament mode, but I'll check this.

Quoted from Mbecker:

Mine landed on big points pretty often when in adult mode. Think it's on standard settings.

Thanks - it's already set to adult mode though. I'm wondering if there's something else required. I'll take another look at all of the settings again.

#229 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Success! "Competition Mode" in the standard adjustments was turned ON and once I turned it OFF (default setting), the random awards became a lot more varied including F'in Big Points.

Much better now - thanks!

#230 6 years ago

Nice. Thanks for the reminder, I am going to turn Competition Mode off. I turned it on the other day, but completely forgot it nixes the Big Points shouting mode. That's one of the best parts of the game!

#231 6 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Nice. Thanks for the reminder, I am going to turn Competition Mode off. I turned it on the other day, but completely forgot it nixes the Big Points shouting mode. That's one of the best parts of the game!

Yeah for when its not used in competition I guess its no real point having competition mode on.
But would be cool if Big f**** points mode would come at a predictable time even in competition mode, for example for every 10 pork store award.

#232 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Yeah for when its not used in competition I guess its no real point having competition mode on.
But would be cool if Big f**** points mode would come at a predictable time even in competition mode, for example for every 10 pork store award.

I agree.

#233 6 years ago

Seems like i get one almost every game...

#234 6 years ago

So i am playing with this idea in my head... i think the meadowlands bridge plastics on both side of the right ramp is a really cool thing (making the habitrail a bridge) but due to (lack of) lightning and the angle the plastic graphics kinda gets lost.

So i am trying to think of some way to light it up, and would be great if others have some input too.

1. My first thought would be to put a led strip somewhere on the right side of the rdmp, maybe attached to the inner right cabinet wall. But that might look better in theory than practice.

2. I have seen some people making toppers by adding two pieces of..acryl(?) Together with some logo etc inside, then putting a led strip underneath which lights up the logo/engraving, maybe something similar could be possible to light up the bridge graphics/features. Something like this:

Will think about it further, maybe try option 1 first. Open to ideas! A internet photo shows the bridge plastic on the right side:

The Sopranos Upper Playfield 2 (resized).jpgThe Sopranos Upper Playfield 2 (resized).jpg

#235 6 years ago

Sopranos is def in need of mods. Love the idea of a light up bridge.

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

So i am playing with this idea in my head... i think the meadowlands bridge plastics on both side of the right ramp is a really cool thing (making the habitrail a bridge) but due to (lack of) lightning and the angle the plastic graphics kinda gets lost.
So i am trying to think of some way to light it up, and would be great if others have some input too.

That is definitely a cool idea!

I'm just about to start a major upgrade of my newly purchased Sopranos (I hate that it'll be unplayable for a few weeks while in process!) and I'll have to give that some consideration. Perhaps utilizing an Arduino unit for a specialized lighting effect?

1 week later
#237 6 years ago

Earlier in the thread I saw someone mention PinBits slingshot plastic protectors. Does anyone know if these are still available anywhere? I can't seem to find anything on the PinBits website. I ordered a repro replacement plastic set and one of the replacement sling plastics has already snapped. I'd really love to get these things protected, as replacements are few and far between (and not cheap at that).

Not really related, I did want to mention that I picked up the PinBits red DMD cover. It makes the DMD look blood red, and it feels like a really good fit for the game. Good, simple mod and I'm glad I did it on my game.

18673144_1343486425687690_8977150738783413877_o (resized).jpg18673144_1343486425687690_8977150738783413877_o (resized).jpg

#238 6 years ago

Hey akm, did you try contacting Joe Kace at laserific? He's been making a ton of plastic protectors.

#239 6 years ago

Oh also the ulek? Store

#240 6 years ago

Red dmd filter looks great -- but man the colordmd on this is worth the $$. Running the smoother on mine

#241 6 years ago
Quoted from akm:

I can't seem to find anything on the PinBits website.

I just Google searched "sopranos plastic protector set" and first site was pinbits. Here's the link.

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=487

#242 6 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I just Google searched "sopranos plastic protector set" and first site was pinbits. Here's the link.

Thanks for that, I'll place an order and see what happens. If I search for "Sopranos" on their website, nothing comes up. If I search through the plastic protector section manually, it still doesn't show. Weird.

Quoted from Mbecker:

Red dmd filter looks great -- but man the colordmd on this is worth the $$. Running the smoother on mine

Oh, totally. If I had the cash, I would definitely spring for a Color DMD.

#243 6 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Thanks for that, I'll place an order and see what happens. If I search for "Sopranos" on their website, nothing comes up. If I search through the plastic protector section manually, it still doesn't show. Weird.

That is strange.

#244 6 years ago

Thanks to Mbecker for bringing his very nice Sopranos to the NW Pinball & Arcade Show this weekend! A lot of (non-stop) folks appeared to really enjoy playing it!

#245 6 years ago

Thanks Tuna_Delight -- glad you and others were able to enjoy it! My first year bringing a game as it's a pain to haul them out of narrow basement -- but totally worth it to see others getting to play. Plan on bringing more next year, sopranos may return

#246 6 years ago

Just got a routed Sopranos! What are the default (or just good) settings for "FLIPPER ADJ 1, FLIPPER ADJ 2, and FLIPPER ADJ 3"? Thanks!

#247 6 years ago

Howdy, temporary member of the club, thanks to swapping my Baywatch for @mbecker's Sopranos. It's one of my favorites as I used to play it a lot at a location I used to be near to. Anyway, just had a crazy game, didn't think you could get 7 balls, but I did. Thought I'd share the description as I emailed my friend...

OK, so I thought I've seen everything there is to see on Sopranos. But just had a crazy game. My first good game, and I'm getting ready to start underboss. It's getting serious so I start putting some body english on the machine, and sure enough I tilt. No big deal, still doing well I thought. But nope, TILT wipes out all your rank, and all center accomplishments, but not the episodes. I have never seen that - did you know that? Then I start doing alright again, there was only one episode left. But I finish them, and it resets them all to blank, like I need to do them again. Well, I make it to Capo again and get another extra ball. Then I hit Underboss. Then I hit Pork Store and it awards me another extra ball. So weird, have -never- seen 2x Pork Store extra balls (I got one earlier). I'm wondering if the TILT wipes out all memory of that. I don't know how many extra balls I got, but my last skill shot was for 2million. I think that means 7 balls? That actually makes sense 2 x Pork, and 2 x Capo. Whew, all that, and I barely beat the GC... Crazy game though...

#248 6 years ago

An interesting thing happened yesterday, dont know if its a scoring bug or something, but when i was playing single ball, I managed to open safe and hit the safe on the third level (good earner?) and ...10 million! Is this normal, what could have caused this massive scoring for level 3 safe?

#249 6 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Just a FYI, I got my protectors. Anyone that needs them for Sopranos, be sure to use that link.

#250 6 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Just a FYI, I got my protectors. Anyone that needs them for Sopranos, be sure to use that link.

Any protectors for the safe plastic?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Louisville, KY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sopranos-owners-club-members-only-wheres-the-money/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.