(Topic ID: 127332)

Sopranos owners club! (members only) Where's the $*#$@! money?

By GoBlue

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,196 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by jrcmlc
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
20240106_174232.jpg
20240106_174249.jpg
20240106_122537 (resized).jpg
IMG_4208 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3552 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230903_010956166 (resized).jpg
break (resized).jpg
IMG_8797 (resized).JPG
IMG_8793 (resized).JPG
IMG_8794 (resized).JPG
right outlane plastic (resized).jpg
sopranos backglass (resized).jpg
AACB409F-F23F-45F2-898A-7D7308F06DA1 (resized).png
There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 24.
#801 3 years ago

Bought this dynamite mod, from a limited run a while back by a fellow Pinsider, for installation in a potential future AC/DC. Decided to install it in my Sopranos in the meantime as it fits this theme as well.

DSC05990 (resized).JPGDSC05990 (resized).JPG

DSC06023 (resized).JPGDSC06023 (resized).JPG

#802 3 years ago

Looks good!

#803 3 years ago

So a buddy if mine did the super skill shot (holding the left flipper to start) and hit some quick combo that instantly made him the boss for 10secs while he missed every shot. Wish I had paid attention to the combo that did it...

I'm having a problem with the drop target in front of the boat. Some times it will not go down how hard you hit it and the ball shoots back hard hitting the glass and then a very slight tap will knock it down. How do I fix this?

#804 3 years ago
Quoted from greenhoody:

So a buddy if mine did the super skill shot (holding the left flipper to start) and hit some quick combo that instantly made him the boss for 10secs while he missed every shot. Wish I had paid attention to the combo that did it...
I'm having a problem with the drop target in front of the boat. Some times it will not go down how hard you hit it and the ball shoots back hard hitting the glass and then a very slight tap will knock it down. How do I fix this?

sometimes it is the retention spring not being tight enough. Similar issues on GB too. Try going into test and doing the drop/up by hand and then when you know it is good movement, try a new spring.

#805 3 years ago

That’s a common problem. I try to avoid that target with the left flipper. It’s best to catch the ball with the right flipper and then shoot the right corner of the target.

1 month later
#806 3 years ago

*ISSUE*

Hi everyone.. first time owner...lol
ok, in multi player games, if a person has a ball locked in the boat and their ball ends, then the next player shoots a ball up there to lock a ball, the boat lets both balls come out instead of just one so now 2 balls are on play field during normal (not multiball) game play. (the player just has one lock).
Also, sometimes during game play, if you shoot balls up there for super jackpots, the ball post will wedge the ball on top of the tip of post and it has to be shook free.
another note, even if you do get multiball and the lock post goes to release balls, its supposed to do one, post come up, then post go down and release another. sometimes it releases both balls at once...one post drops, both balls fall out simultaneously.
any fixes?

#807 3 years ago

I would inspect and tweak all of the roll over switches that detect thee ball on the right side. One could be disengaging late allowing the post to come up late.

Also you can go into switch test mode and put balls in that lock to see how sensitive the switches are.

#808 3 years ago

I added a spring to push it up a little harder. has worked perfect ever since.. mine seemed to be releasing the 2nd ball because the post didn't come up quite fast enough. Certainly a switch adjustment there could help too potentially.

1 week later
#809 3 years ago

Had my Sopranos shut down, moved cross-country and put in storage for a few months. All told it's been unplugged and turned off for the past 7 months. Got it out of storage and set up over the weekend. Wasn't terribly surprised that it re-set all of the settings and high scores. Some issues though since powering it back on.
1. When I turn it off and then turn it back on again each time it has a message on the display to open the coin door, it won't do anything until I do that. Once I do open the coin door it seems to be happy and is ready for a game. Annoying to open the door every time, how do I fix this issue?

2. Each time I've started it up (just a few times now), it doesn't remember any of the settings I changed the previous time, only things I've done are turn the volume down and set it for free play. Each time I turn it back on I have to do this again, why is it not remembering the changes I made?

3. Not necessarily a problem with the machine, but as luck would have it on my first game in months I hit the buoy that leads to the boat, when I did the plastic piece snapped in half and went flying. Did some google searches and cannot find that replacement part, does anyone know where to find it? Any ideas why it would've snapped in half after my first game, did it get brittle or weak from being in storage?

#810 3 years ago

Okay, duh, I figured out my problem. I'd never replaced the AA batteries! Now that I researched I realized this was a rookie mistake and I should have been replacing them every year or so.

The battery holder fell down off it's location on the board. The batteries did have some corrosion on them but thankfully nothing got on the board. I knocked the corrosion off the battery holder when I took the batteries off.

Is it okay to just put new batteries in there, or because of the minor corrosion should I get a whole new battery holder?

The battery holder appears to be only held in with a plastic bracket thing and a zip tie, there are two little prongs that go into the board. Is that correct? Nothing needs to be soldered, it just needs to make contact with those little prongs/pins?

#811 3 years ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Okay, duh, I figured out my problem. I'd never replaced the AA batteries! Now that I researched I realized this was a rookie mistake and I should have been replacing them every year or so.
The battery holder fell down off it's location on the board. The batteries did have some corrosion on them but thankfully nothing got on the board. I knocked the corrosion off the battery holder when I took the batteries off.
Is it okay to just put new batteries in there, or because of the minor corrosion should I get a whole new battery holder?
The battery holder appears to be only held in with a plastic bracket thing and a zip tie, there are two little prongs that go into the board. Is that correct? Nothing needs to be soldered, it just needs to make contact with those little prongs/pins?

Grab NVRAM and never have to worry again.

#812 3 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Grab NVRAM and never have to worry again.

Second this. It’s plug and play on the board, no board skills necessary.

#813 3 years ago

Oh ya, I need to take the time and throw nvram into my games.

2 weeks later
#814 3 years ago

I'll third it, what the hell... The chip is socketed so there is really no reason not to throw one in there.

All mine are NVRAM'ed. One of the simplest and best investments, especially for a larger collection

#815 3 years ago

I have an extra if anyone needs one.. $30 shipped

#816 3 years ago

Hey everyone - had my Sopranos pin for several years and love it. Looking to do a few upgrades on it not

Does anyone have an example of a Color DMD on a Sopranos? I want to buy one and I see LCD and LED versions and would like to see examples of those before I buy if possible.

#817 3 years ago
Quoted from VirtualMayhem:

Hey everyone - had my Sopranos pin for several years and love it. Looking to do a few upgrades on it not
Does anyone have an example of a Color DMD on a Sopranos? I want to buy one and I see LCD and LED versions and would like to see examples of those before I buy if possible.

I believe fattrain is the guy to ask for all things Color DMD related.

#818 3 years ago

After playing a few games last night, I now have a line going through the DMD. What causes this to happen?Can this be easily fixed or will I need to purchase a new DMD?

Screenshot_20201209-135915_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201209-135915_Gallery (resized).jpg
#819 3 years ago

reseat connectors and ribbons

Quoted from easye9901:

After playing a few games last night, I now have a line going through the DMD. What causes this to happen?Can this be easily fixed or will I need to purchase a new DMD?
[quoted image]

#820 3 years ago
Quoted from VirtualMayhem:

The first thing I looked into when I got mine earlier this year was a Color DMD. I of course knew / know little to nothing about these. From what I learned about the Soprano's version they make, the LCD is the better way to go (mostly b/c of the variety of modes you can put it into) but I also learned that it's up to personal preference. The Color DMD folks are very responsive and helpful. I feel ok posting one of their responses here as it is very helpful. I went with the LCD. As far as display menu options, I personally like the SCAN option. When I want dots/to make it look more like the original but in color of course, I personally like the DOTS (not DOTXL). I hope this helps!:

"The video on our site is an LCD display in DOTXL mode. The LCD uses a laptop sized LCD screen and draws the dots out of pixels. Because it’s a high-resolution screen, it can support different rendering modes including upscaling that fills the space between the dots.
The LED display is a fixed array of 128x32 RGB LEDs that can only display small dots. It is similar in size and appearance to the factory display but full-color.
The X-LED display is only for four games put out by Sega and Data East that used a 192x64 DMD display. It will not work with Sopranos.
For more information have a look at this link: http://www.colordmd.com/led.html "

#821 3 years ago

Absolutely get the LCD ColorDMD , you will never regret it.

#822 3 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

That split second that the target isn’t falling down is the cause of the air ball if you tighten the shit out of that spring youll have a way funnier game trust me you wont be sorry

I’m having the issue of the Boat drop target sending balls into the air, then draining.

Could someone help with how to fix?

2 weeks later
#823 3 years ago

I was changing out the rubber on my right slingshot and tightened something too much and snapped off the end of one of the threaded posts. It seems to be threaded along the entire length of it. The manual doesn’t provide much detail on the slingshot parts. Could someone please help a dummy? Which part did I break?

And then if I’m able to get the right post can I remove the entire thing from the underside of the play field?

372AC6F9-9A9C-4872-83E2-E0D3906F06EC (resized).jpeg372AC6F9-9A9C-4872-83E2-E0D3906F06EC (resized).jpegF534BC22-CFBD-486B-A485-5B08F5017FA6 (resized).jpegF534BC22-CFBD-486B-A485-5B08F5017FA6 (resized).jpeg
#824 3 years ago

I can double check tmrw but im99% sure that’s #3. - standard 6-32 post screwed into a t-nut in the underside. You can try to unscrew with pliars but I’d personally try double nutting it from the top with 2 #6 nylock nuts and back the lower up against the top one and it should then unscrew the post from the t-nut

#825 3 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I can double check tmrw but im99% sure that’s #3. - standard 6-32 post screwed into a t-nut in the underside. You can try to unscrew with pliars but I’d personally try double nutting it from the top with 2 #6 nylock nuts and back the lower up against the top one and it should then unscrew the post from the t-nut

Thanks. I felt kinda stupid for doing this to begin with. I managed to extract it from under the play field. I’ll see if they have something at the hardware store so that I don’t have to special order something.

#826 3 years ago

Never seen those at the hardware store but you could use #6 all thread cut to length with a nut and washer and be pretty close. Hell, could just reuse the #6 thread you pulled outta there actually lol

Interested if you find something at the store though. It’s a $2-3 part from Marco or pinball life.. shipping’s annoying though.

#827 3 years ago
Quoted from BigWaveDave:

I’m having the issue of the Boat drop target sending balls into the air, then draining.
Could someone help with how to fix?

Same on mine when shot from an angel. I consider it part of the risk do a quickie to avoid it

#828 3 years ago

Never shoot that target with the left flipper. It’s best to backhand the right corner of the target from the right flipper. The ball will then bounce off the right side and then (hopefully) return to the flippers.

#829 3 years ago

Anybody try the Easter Egg in attract mode? I get the secret message, but never the sound for fish...

Screenshot_20201231-192118 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201231-192118 (resized).png
#830 3 years ago

DOes the manual state size and qty for coil sleeves needed on the game? I don't have a sopranos at home but I'm pulling one off route to shop out. Figured it could use a sleeve replacement while I'm at it. I thought marco used to have sleeve kits but not seeing it.

#831 3 years ago

Wouldn't take much time to go through the manual & work out the part #'s on each mech.
I've given up on buying different length sleeves, I buy one size & trim down to suit & do this with VUK sleeves.

Check out this link.

http://www.performancepinball.com/trimming-coil-sleeves.html

#832 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

DOes the manual state size and qty for coil sleeves needed on the game? I don't have a sopranos at home but I'm pulling one off route to shop out. Figured it could use a sleeve replacement while I'm at it. I thought marco used to have sleeve kits but not seeing it.

Is this the information you’re looking for?

6A79EF80-A69A-4112-A076-9DAC04A572BD (resized).jpeg6A79EF80-A69A-4112-A076-9DAC04A572BD (resized).jpegC56DF0E1-8314-4810-A2C1-5CDD86EB868E (resized).jpegC56DF0E1-8314-4810-A2C1-5CDD86EB868E (resized).jpeg
#833 3 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

Wouldn't take much time to go through the manual & work out the part #'s on each mech.
I've given up on buying different length sleeves, I buy one size & trim down to suit & do this with VUK sleeves.
Check out this link.
http://www.performancepinball.com/trimming-coil-sleeves.html

omg I didn't even think of a pipe cutter with the plunger in it. Thanks. Yeah, I once thought of that but then I must of lost the bag of long sleeves...Thanks! I'll probably throw an order in with the different collars but long length

Quoted from LeMansFan:

Is this the information you’re looking for?[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks! That is the coil lists, but for some reason they don't tell you the sleeve part number. MOST of the time they use the "default" sleeve you get when you buy that coil from marco or pbl some sometimes they use an odd collar sleeve with certain mechs. I'll just throw an order in for super long ones like skywalker suggested

4 weeks later
#834 3 years ago

Not much activity here....anybody need a NOS playfield?

SOLD!
Parts - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “New Sopranos playfield I purchased this last year from another pinsider. Now I need to raise funds for a very expensive FH restoration, so this needs to go... $500 plus shipping.”
2021-03-16
Menifee, CA
500 (Firm)
Archived after: 15 days
Viewed: 291 times

3 weeks later
#835 3 years ago

Got the highest praise from the wife the other day. We were talking about dream pin themes (hers being Grateful Dead). I said, well, if they come out with a Grateful Dead machine I guess we’ll have to sell Sopranos. Her answer was perfect, music to my ears.

“We’re never selling Sopranos, I love that game. If they come out with a Grateful Dead pinball we’ll just have to have a fourth machine”!

Sopranos really is an underrated hidden gem.

3 weeks later
#836 3 years ago

Hi guys! I am currently sold my sopranos. But make update for pin2dmd colorization. New update contains colorized scenes of "horse race", "food fight", some fixes in Bing Multiball, Executive game and few other fixes. Who got colorizations for pin2dmd please redownload your personal link. Files was updated. Firmware must be 4.05 or later.

#837 3 years ago

My uncle just got a Sopranos and his is missing the pole dancers. I found the Stern modesty kit for sale but he would like to have the actual dancers on the playfield. Any In Stock sources for them or alternative dancers that would fit?

Thanks!

#838 3 years ago

You’d have to search this thread or scroll back a ways. Amazon has had ones that fit. They are not in the same position and took a bit of trimming but imo look as close to stock as you’ll get, cause the stock ones are not obtainable

#839 3 years ago
Quoted from Ghostcri:

My uncle just got a Sopranos and his is missing the pole dancers. I found the Stern modesty kit for sale but he would like to have the actual dancers on the playfield. Any In Stock sources for them or alternative dancers that would fit?
Thanks!

When I spoke with Tommy at Nitro Pinball a few months ago, he said he had the dancers in stock since often they are broken/missing. Check with him!

#840 3 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Hi guys! I am currently sold my sopranos. But make update for pin2dmd colorization. New update contains colorized scenes of "horse race", "food fight", some fixes in Bing Multiball, Executive game and few other fixes. Who got colorizations for pin2dmd please redownload your personal link. Files was updated. Firmware must be 4.05 or later.

Awesome! Thank you for your continued work on this.

Question for youse guys, has anyone come up with a good fix for the drop target flinging the ball into the glass and into the drain? Ive tried a new spring, shortening the spring, and replacing the target itself, but its really bumming me out as I just repainted the entire cabinet and I can feel my paint job scream out in pain. I usually only go for the target via backhand, but during multiball its not so easy to avoid.

Did the drop target do this from day one? Seems like something that would have been accounted for in development.

#841 3 years ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

Question for youse guys, has anyone come up with a good fix for the drop target flinging the ball into the glass and into the drain? Ive tried a new spring, shortening the spring, and replacing the target itself, but its really bumming me out as I just repainted the entire cabinet and I can feel my paint job scream out in pain. I usually only go for the target via backhand, but during multiball its not so easy to avoid.
Did the drop target do this from day one? Seems like something that would have been accounted for in development.

I just try not to hit it straight on. The target causing airballs used to annoy me, but now I've come to appreciate the added gameplay challenge and potential punishment it can dish out. It's kinda like doing a hit in the mafia - you botch it and you're gonna pay.

#842 3 years ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

I bought my game NIB back in 2005. Early on I was frustrated with the ball hitting the drop target to the boat and like you said, flying through the air and straight down the middle. I contacted Stern back at that time and they sent me a new drop target. I don't remember the old one now, but I know that the one I have now is more rigid, had a couple of small rivets in it that seem to make it less springy. I can hit that target from either flipper without any problem. It would be worth some searching to see if that was a part that became a replacement.

#843 3 years ago

This isn't the most beautiful solution but a while ago I lent my game to a friend and when it came back he had got so pi$$ed off with the air-balls he had made and fitted this

20210331_175021 (resized).jpg20210331_175021 (resized).jpg

It looks crap when you view it like that but it stops 95%+ of balls escaping and when you are playing you just don't see it.

20210331_175031 (resized).jpg20210331_175031 (resized).jpg

I have left it on and don't ever think about it until I see a post complaining about air-balls!

1 week later
#844 3 years ago

Curious to hear thoughts from those who've replaced all incandescents with LEDs. My Sopranos is basically brand new (see my earlier posts as to why I say that). One incredibly minor thing that's been annoying me is that it seems like a bulb here and there goes out very often. Each time one does I have to figure out which exact type it is then order a bunch of the same type, rinse and repeat. I just wonder if I'd be better off replacing them all with a full LED kit. I don't want to take away from the original look of the machine too much though. I suppose one option would be to get the LED kit then choose which bulbs to keep vs swap out i.e. maybe keep those awesome yellow incandescents in the Episodes sign, replace others. I know it's a matter of opinion/taste, just looking for anyone's experience/feedback when it comes to this.

I'm also curious if anyone has installed custom game blades and if so, which ones? Looks like there are about 4 different types out there. The stock blank/black sides have always felt like something's missing.

#845 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Curious to hear thoughts from those who've replaced all incandescents with LEDs. My Sopranos is basically brand new (see my earlier posts as to why I say that). One incredibly minor thing that's been annoying me is that it seems like a bulb here and there goes out very often. Each time one does I have to figure out which exact type it is then order a bunch of the same type, rinse and repeat. I just wonder if I'd be better off replacing them all with a full LED kit. I don't want to take away from the original look of the machine too much though. I suppose one option would be to get the LED kit then choose which bulbs to keep vs swap out i.e. maybe keep those awesome yellow incandescents in the Episodes sign, replace others. I know it's a matter of opinion/taste, just looking for anyone's experience/feedback when it comes to this.
I'm also curious if anyone has installed custom game blades and if so, which ones? Looks like there are about 4 different types out there. The stock blank/black sides have always felt like something's missing.

I installed full LEDs throughout a few months ago. I’ve had my machine since NIB 2005, and putting LEDs in made it look like a brand new machine again. I would not hesitate to just do it throughout. I picked up a complete kit from Comet and even with the episode lights was thrilled with how it looks.

The blades are another story. I wasn’t thrilled with any of the choices on those. I ended up going with the metal side blades, the Bada Bing ones. Immediate buyers remorse on that! There just isn’t enough clearance between the play field and the sides, so it gets scratched to shit every time the play field gets lifted. Total bummer.

#846 3 years ago

LEDs look great imo. Standard Mirror side blades go well. No clearance issues on mine

#847 3 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

LEDs look great imo. Standard Mirror side blades go well. No clearance issues on mine

Same for me - LEDs and mirror blades. I also installed an LED OCD board. The prior owner had installed cool white LED bulbs throughout and the game lighting was way too harsh to me. I switched most of these to Comet's sunlight white and they're much better.

#848 3 years ago

LEDs are a must and I installed the Bada Bing mirror blades which are pretty cool they stand out compared to the other standard blades but the price point is something to make one pause.

#849 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

LEDs is imo a must on modern machines, BUT it is crucial to have the right kind of LEDs and colors, else any machine will look like shit.
Personally I buy the SMD2 sunlight from comet pinball for GI ligtning, they give a not too cold but still a brighter look than the warm incadencent/LED.
For inserts I either go for Non-ghosting sunlight or natural white frosted, or colored. Depends, colored LEDS really bring out the color of the inserts, but it is always a safe bet to go with a white beneath the insert and the natural color will always show.

Attached is a photo of my sopranos. Photos often doesnt catch the actual experience, I see it seems to be abit dark on the left side, but in person it is very nice and not too "in your face". Too much natural white LEDs have a tendency to f*ck you in the face. In comparison I also added a Harlem globetrotters with natural white LEDs.

20201222_230218 (1) (resized).jpg20201222_230218 (1) (resized).jpg20210402_194331 (resized).jpg20210402_194331 (resized).jpg
#850 3 years ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

The blades are another story. I wasn’t thrilled with any of the choices on those. I ended up going with the metal side blades, the Bada Bing ones. Immediate buyers remorse on that! There just isn’t enough clearance between the play field and the sides, so it gets scratched to shit every time the play field gets lifted. Total bummer.

Shoot. I was leaning toward the bada bing mirror blades. Are these are the ones you're referring to that don't provide enough clearance? https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/the-sopranos-mirrorbladez-stern-pinball

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Louisville, KY
There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sopranos-owners-club-members-only-wheres-the-money/page/17?hl=lemansfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.