(Topic ID: 127332)

Sopranos owners club! (members only) Where's the $*#$@! money?

By GoBlue

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,196 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by jrcmlc
  • Topic is favorited by 82 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
20240106_174232.jpg
20240106_174249.jpg
20240106_122537 (resized).jpg
IMG_4208 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3552 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230903_010956166 (resized).jpg
break (resized).jpg
IMG_8797 (resized).JPG
IMG_8793 (resized).JPG
IMG_8794 (resized).JPG
right outlane plastic (resized).jpg
sopranos backglass (resized).jpg
AACB409F-F23F-45F2-898A-7D7308F06DA1 (resized).png
There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 24.
#751 3 years ago

Dropping this here for future reference in case anyone is troubleshooting the safe assembly. I recently replaced all of the metal parts, switches and diodes in my safe, but it was still only registering half of the hits. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was the issue, and then I recorded a slow motion video using my phone. I noticed that the entire safe housing was moving around quite a bit after a hard hit. After wiggling the assembly from the top side, I noticed that there was a lot of play in movement inside the bushings where the safe mech penetrates the playfield. I ordered two replacement bushings to see if that was the issue, and turns out the diameter opening on the new ones is noticeably smaller than the ones installed. Not sure if this is due to the age of the nylon, or the constant abuse from the mech hitting against it, but it has made a significant difference. The safe moves significants less when hit, and now registers hits correctly.

You can clearly see the difference in the picture.
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 10.21.42 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-05-26 at 10.21.42 AM (resized).png

#752 3 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

Dropping this here for future reference in case anyone is troubleshooting the safe assembly. I recently replaced all of the metal parts, switches and diodes in my safe, but it was still only registering half of the hits. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was the issue, and then I recorded a slow motion video using my phone. I noticed that the entire safe housing was moving around quite a bit after a hard hit. After wiggling the assembly from the top side, I noticed that there was a lot of play in movement inside the bushings where the safe mech penetrates the playfield. I ordered two replacement bushings to see if that was the issue, and turns out the diameter opening on the new ones is noticeably smaller than the ones installed. Not sure if this is due to the age of the nylon, or the constant abuse from the mech hitting against it, but it has made a significant difference. The safe moves significants less when hit, and now registers hits correctly.
[quoted image]

Good find!

1 week later
#753 3 years ago

Joined the club tonight! Got one with beautiful powder coated rails and LED screen I’m big into cool mods. I plan on adding the new Bing mirror blades and maybe a different translite. Any other cool mods I should be aware of?

6393BFFF-B636-4814-849B-844F7047015B (resized).jpeg6393BFFF-B636-4814-849B-844F7047015B (resized).jpeg

#754 3 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

Joined the club tonight! ... Any other cool mods I should be aware of?

Congrats! I pimped my Sopranos out and love it. These are a nice addition for starters:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1054-flashinstinct/00669-sopranos-target-decals

#755 3 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

Joined the club tonight! Got one with beautiful powder coated rails and LED screen I’m big into cool mods. I plan on adding the new Bing mirror blades and maybe a different translite. Any other cool mods I should be aware of?
[quoted image]

Bing mirror blades?

#756 3 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

Bing mirror blades?

New from Pingraffix.com

9B94C0FD-3044-4B49-AC70-83DE4715B33F (resized).jpeg9B94C0FD-3044-4B49-AC70-83DE4715B33F (resized).jpeg
#757 3 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

New from Pingraffix.com
[quoted image]

Nice. Interested to see what these look like installed.

#758 3 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

Nice. Interested to see what these look like installed.

Ordered them last night. I’ll post pics once installed.

#759 3 years ago

Rubber question. What color bands were factory? I have white in most of them now but they are toast and need to order more.

Also curious as to what non-Factory combos people found appealing. I’m aware of the user made kits on Titans website but those don’t have any pics.

This game doesn’t have a ton of visible rubbers so lower playfield combos are what I’m most interested in

#760 3 years ago

Got all kinds of odds and ends lights hidden up there. Some even missing so plugged a few in. Just curious as what the color order should be or what looks coolest. Also wanting them LED so which style would be best, clear, frosted, etc?

5D48D085-A003-49D9-A586-A23ECB9DB676 (resized).jpeg5D48D085-A003-49D9-A586-A23ECB9DB676 (resized).jpeg

#761 3 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

Got all kinds of odds and ends lights hidden up there. Some even missing so plugged a few in. Just curious as what the color order should be or what looks coolest. Also wanting them LED so which style would be best, clear, frosted, etc?
[quoted image]

I believe they should all be yellow (stock)

#762 3 years ago

Sopranos truck (resized).jpgSopranos truck (resized).jpg

#763 3 years ago

Mine came with the truck so that’s good

#764 3 years ago

I used Ghost Buster 1-SMD-LED (White) #44/47 Bayonet Base Lamp With Flexible 90° Angle on backboard behind the 7 people and 1 horse that get whack.

abl_flex_1-smd-led_bayonet_300x161 (resized).jpgabl_flex_1-smd-led_bayonet_300x161 (resized).jpg
#765 3 years ago

Hi guys!

Can someone send me a PM with the Sopranos plastics scans?

I have found one without many plastics

#766 3 years ago
Quoted from legendpin:

Can someone send me a PM with the Sopranos plastics scans?

I tried to reply to your PM but it won't let me attach a file so hopefully this will be ok. Let me have your email if you want the original which I guess will be higher rez.

Sopranos slings & safe (resized).jpgSopranos slings & safe (resized).jpg
#767 3 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

[quoted image]

Where did you get these bushings? How hard was it to disassemble the safe?

I bought new Roller switches and Am considering Some new metal for each side of the safe.

#768 3 years ago

Like the mod, would you know what the scale is on the truck?

#769 3 years ago
Quoted from BigWaveDave:

Where did you get these bushings? How hard was it to disassemble the safe?
I bought new Roller switches and Am considering Some new metal for each side of the safe.

Marco specialties. It’s not hard to disassemble the safe. Remove a plastic, two nuts from the topside, and disconnect the cable assembly from the underside.

#770 3 years ago
Quoted from GoodBadUgly:

Like the mod, would you know what the scale is on the truck?

Thanks. I believe it's 1/87 (HO scale).

#771 3 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:Joined the club tonight! Got one with beautiful powder coated rails and LED screen I’m big into cool mods. I plan on adding the new Bing mirror blades and maybe a different translite. Any other cool mods I should be aware of?
[quoted image]

I am looking for the translite you have. If you are interested in selling or trading, please let me know. Below is an image of the one I have.

E3F7C089-7806-4D21-9C37-0823CA67317D (resized).jpegE3F7C089-7806-4D21-9C37-0823CA67317D (resized).jpeg
#772 3 years ago

What color are the fish eye bulbs? Was thinking of getting in there and trying different colors. Any suggestions. Also, are they wedge or bayonet? I assume they are same size as all the other playfield bulbs etc.

#773 3 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

What color are the fish eye bulbs? Was thinking of getting in there and trying different colors. Any suggestions. Also, are they wedge or bayonet? I assume they are same size as all the other playfield bulbs etc.

I changed all my lights to LED's. I didn't change the Fish Eyes. I my memory serves me it was a totally different bulb or just to hard to change out. I'm thinking is was different 99% sure.

#774 3 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

I changed all my lights to LED's. I didn't change the Fish Eyes. I my memory serves me it was a totally different bulb or just to hard to change out. I'm thinking is was different 99% sure.

Yeah I agree - kinda hard to get to and Also thinking different bulb. I used the pinballbulbs kit when I did mine which uses cool white and I think that looks great

#775 3 years ago

So I was waiting around for someone and decided to poke around my Sopranos issue of the trough up kicker not firing. I realized I didn't bring my DMM, so I was able to try grounding the coil to test fire. First time I have done that! scary the first time. So i had a wire with alligator clips on each end. I had the game open, pulled the interlock so 50v was on. I put the alligator clip on the small brown/blk lug (not yellow/power) and then touched the other end to the ground nut on near the right flipper button. Did not fire. Tried the auto fire coil and it worked great. So I'll have to bring my DMM and test for power at the coil, then work back to the board to see if there is a break in the line or board issue.

I did replace Q1, and that didn't fix this....so a new issue to figure out!

1 week later
#776 3 years ago

Got the Bing mirror blades installed. They look a bit better in person. Hard to see the stencils of the girls via photo

54EB9888-091F-454B-BBCB-940EB7F57F03 (resized).jpeg54EB9888-091F-454B-BBCB-940EB7F57F03 (resized).jpegF381ED83-46DB-4CDE-9E94-8EC75E933E20 (resized).jpegF381ED83-46DB-4CDE-9E94-8EC75E933E20 (resized).jpegFDD1BBD0-33AF-4B00-BA80-0257B90232C2 (resized).jpegFDD1BBD0-33AF-4B00-BA80-0257B90232C2 (resized).jpeg

#777 3 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

Got the Bing mirror blades installed. They look a bit better in person. Hard to see the stencils of the girls via photo
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Anything looks better than just plain black. Where did you purchase those from. Looks good.

#778 3 years ago

Hi guys, I am a new member of the club, and I was waiting till I had my playfield all done before I said hi to show a complete before and after, but Im a bit confused and would appreciate any help.

I see on some of the safe eject holes pictured in this thread (which has been an invaluable asset in rebuilding my playfield; thank you) that the one way gate has no plastic attached to the metal flap as pictured in the manual.

as shown in my picture.

Is that plastic intrinsic to keeping the ball from shooting into low earth orbit? Should I run out to harbor freight and introduce myself to the wonderful world of rivets? I have the piece, as it came with a clear plastics set I got off ebay.

Said set also came with this other plastic which I cant find in the manual at all, anyone recognize it?

Thanks, and sorry to be such a noob.

Plastics (resized).jpgPlastics (resized).jpggate (resized).jpggate (resized).jpg
#779 3 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

Anything looks better than just plain black. Where did you purchase those from. Looks good.

https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/the-sopranos-mirrorbladez-stern-pinball

#780 3 years ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

Hi guys, I am a new member of the club, and I was waiting till I had my playfield all done before I said hi to show a complete before and after, but Im a bit confused and would appreciate any help.
I see on some of the safe eject holes pictured in this thread (which has been an invaluable asset in rebuilding my playfield; thank you) that the one way gate has no plastic attached to the metal flap as pictured in the manual.
as shown in my picture.
Is that plastic intrinsic to keeping the ball from shooting into low earth orbit? Should I run out to harbor freight and introduce myself to the wonderful world of rivets? I have the piece, as it came with a clear plastics set I got off ebay.
Said set also came with this other plastic which I cant find in the manual at all, anyone recognize it?
Thanks, and sorry to be such a noob.
[quoted image][quoted image]

You could do rivets or maybe then a small screw with a lock nut. Depends on room/space for the ball and how ugly you’re okay with it looking.

#781 3 years ago

Appreciate the reply!

I ended up gluing it back together, tracing it out on an old clear plastic I had replaced, and using my dremel to cut it out and sand its edges down.

Also put washers on both sides of the rivet, probably overkill but its deflecting the ball perfectly every time now. Its not perfect but its buried behind the safe, so it will do till my replacement gets here.

My first time "shopping" a machine, but I am pretty happy with how its turning out.

plasticFix (resized).jpgplasticFix (resized).jpg
1 week later
#782 3 years ago

I got my machine from a local vendor for 2.5k, and it was heavily routed, but after a month or so of TLC I finally got the playfield done!

I wont bore you guys with a bunch of pictures, Ill just bore you with a few. Check out the mileage on the safe!

Happy with how it came out, especially as this is my first time working on a pinball table. All new roms, ColorDMD, and LED OCD and GIzmo. Not to mention I put a bunch of new parts in just about all the mechs underneath.

Little before and after I made of the LED boards for a friend, figured Id share.

Made underboos for the first time too after it was done! Next I wait on retrorefurb's decals and heal the cabinet.

ps dont laugh at my 20$ etsy topper

dirty (resized).jpgdirty (resized).jpgSafe (resized).jpgSafe (resized).jpgCLEAN (resized).jpgCLEAN (resized).jpgtable (resized).jpgtable (resized).jpgtopper (resized).jpgtopper (resized).jpg
#783 3 years ago
Quoted from Acronymicon:

I got my machine from a local vendor for 2.5k, and it was heavily routed, but after a month or so of TLC I finally got the playfield done!
I wont bore you guys with a bunch of pictures, Ill just bore you with a few. Check out the mileage on the safe!
Happy with how it came out, especially as this is my first time working on a pinball table. All new roms, ColorDMD, and LED OCD and GIzmo. Not to mention I put a bunch of new parts in just about all the mechs underneath.
Little before and after I made of the LED boards for a friend, figured Id share.

Made underboos for the first time too after it was done! Next I wait on retrorefurb's decals and heal the cabinet.
ps dont laugh at my 20$ etsy topper[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great!

3 weeks later
#784 3 years ago

Hello Everyone. My first post. Only game I have currently is The Sopranos. Bought it new years ago because my wife and I are both huge fans of the show. Hoping to get my second machine very, very soon!

#785 3 years ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Hello Everyone. My first post. Only game I have currently is The Sopranos. Bought it new years ago because my wife and I are both huge fans of the show. Hoping to get my second machine very, very soon!

Well then ... stop posting and start buying already!

Congratulations! You've already made a great collection start - Sopranos is a bitchin' game!

Gives me a "bad case of fuckfaceitis" every time I play!!!

2 weeks later
#786 3 years ago

Hi all! I recently became an owner of The Sopranos. It was unboxed all this time so it's technically brand new. It's only my 2nd pin and also my only one with a WhiteStar system. My other is a Stern JP LE Spike 2.

Reaching out here b/c I've been scratching my head over the sound quality of the pin. I do understand it's older technology that didn't allow for high quality sound files. I'm just looking for a sanity check around what I'm hearing. Most of the callouts are very muffled and some kind of distorted sounding. Also the music is very boomy/bass-y and sounds rolled off on the high frequencies. I do have the latest 5.0 Game and Display EPROMs. What I don't have are the very latest sound ones. But according to the release notes, nothing really changed sound wise since the versions I have.

I started a detailed thread about this here: https://beta.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sopranos-whitestar-audio-quality-questions

Would anyone be able to take a look/listen, perhaps compare to your own machine and let me know if the sound I'm describing is expected or not? Really appreciate the help, happy to take more videos or pics if needed.

Added over 4 years ago:

Here's the correct link to that thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sopranos-whitestar-audio-quality-questions

#787 3 years ago

What’s beta Pinside? Tried to visit thread but it’s asking for log in info??

#788 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Hi all! I recently became an owner of The Sopranos. It was unboxed all this time so it's technically brand new. It's only my 2nd pin and also my only one with a WhiteStar system. My other is a Stern JP LE Spike 2.
Reaching out here b/c I've been scratching my head over the sound quality of the pin. I do understand it's older technology that didn't allow for high quality sound files. I'm just looking for a sanity check around what I'm hearing. Most of the callouts are very muffled and some kind of distorted sounding. Also the music is very boomy/bass-y and sounds rolled off on the high frequencies. I do have the latest 5.0 Game and Display EPROMs. What I don't have are the very latest sound ones. But according to the release notes, nothing really changed sound wise since the versions I have.
I started a detailed thread about this here: https://beta.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sopranos-whitestar-audio-quality-questions
Would anyone be able to take a look/listen, perhaps compare to your own machine and let me know if the sound I'm describing is expected or not? Really appreciate the help, happy to take more videos or pics if needed.

I can’t use the link either. However think of the old games like using a cassette, with JP having uncompressed above cd top quality.

Have you watched any YouTube videos of sopranos? My game is at my office or I’d try to record something quick

#789 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I can’t use the link either. However think of the old games like using a cassette, with JP having uncompressed above cd top quality.
Have you watched any YouTube videos of sopranos? My game is at my office or I’d try to record something quick

Sorry about that, this is the right link: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-sopranos-whitestar-audio-quality-questions
Beta is WIP for the next site updates. Has a cool notifications feature to notify you for new forum posts and such that you subscribe to. Reach out to moderator Robin (handle is simply 'robin') to request access if you want.

I have watched a couple videos but it's hard to tell. Here's the short video I took of my machine running the sound tests (same video as in my other thread):

Maybe you can run through the same and take a video? I appreciate it!

#790 3 years ago

Any good custom instruction cards for this game? Recently picked one up finally after years and years of searching!

#791 3 years ago
Quoted from vwallat99:

Any good custom instruction cards for this game? Recently picked one up finally after years and years of searching!

Congrats!!! Enjoy!!!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-apron-cards-printable-versions-only/page/9#post-5210389

#792 3 years ago

Anybody have a guess what a NOS playfield is worth?

#793 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

timlah79 ill try and takes look tomorrow — but agree that on mine the sound is sort of similar to what you describe, although my buddy came by and upgraded it a while back with new speakers and possibly clipped a couple resistors or caps on the sound board? Trying to remember now.. I could be mixing that up with a different pin. It does sound better for sure, but not quite hifi

#794 3 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I’ve seen one somewhere a while back.. possibly even on Marco? $650-900 range??

#795 3 years ago

I joined the family last weekend and I'm absolutely loving the game. I believe it is a HUO based on the shape and having under 100 total plays. Will be holding on to this one for a while for sure!

20200820_080852 (resized).jpg20200820_080852 (resized).jpg20200820_080944 (resized).jpg20200820_080944 (resized).jpg20200820_080951 (resized).jpg20200820_080951 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#796 3 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

timlah79 ill try and takes look tomorrow — but agree that on mine the sound is sort of similar to what you describe, although my buddy came by and upgraded it a while back with new speakers and possibly clipped a couple resistors or caps on the sound board? Trying to remember now.. I could be mixing that up with a different pin. It does sound better for sure, but not quite hifi

Hey Mbecker ! Just curious if you had a chance to look into this at all. Appreciate the help!

#797 3 years ago

To me, sounding the same

#798 3 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

To me, sounding the same

Thanks so much Mbecker ! Yeah that does sound exactly like mine. If yours has always sounded like that I suppose this is normal, hmm. Wonder if there's a way to improve it. I am actually looking around for an outboard EQ I could run the game's output to to try to clean it up, at least make the entire machine less boomy.

1 week later
#799 3 years ago

Just looking for a motor for the girls . I have a customer with a bad one. Replaced belt. Motor has no torque. Thanks in advance! JR

3 weeks later
#800 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Thanks so much mbecker ! Yeah that does sound exactly like mine. If yours has always sounded like that I suppose this is normal, hmm. Wonder if there's a way to improve it. I am actually looking around for an outboard EQ I could run the game's output to to try to clean it up, at least make the entire machine less boomy.

FWIW, mine sounds the same too, but I thinks it's okay personally - seems like pretty typical Stern White Star system audio. I hooked up a Polk subwoofer as well to my game and it's an improvement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Louisville, KY
There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sopranos-owners-club-members-only-wheres-the-money/page/16?hl=acronymicon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.