(Topic ID: 127332)

Sopranos owners club! (members only) Where's the $*#$@! money?

By GoBlue

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,196 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 81 days ago by jrcmlc
  • Topic is favorited by 81 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
20240106_174232.jpg
20240106_174249.jpg
20240106_122537 (resized).jpg
IMG_4208 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3552 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230903_010956166 (resized).jpg
break (resized).jpg
IMG_8797 (resized).JPG
IMG_8793 (resized).JPG
IMG_8794 (resized).JPG
right outlane plastic (resized).jpg
sopranos backglass (resized).jpg
AACB409F-F23F-45F2-898A-7D7308F06DA1 (resized).png

There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 24.
#601 5 years ago

Here are a couple of pics. I have not noticed any difference in gameplay with the protector installed.

0A232250-FAC5-4F00-B3DC-BAE1CFD4B425 (resized).jpeg0A232250-FAC5-4F00-B3DC-BAE1CFD4B425 (resized).jpeg48925D81-CA1C-452B-8FF3-AEFCE2FBA07E (resized).jpeg48925D81-CA1C-452B-8FF3-AEFCE2FBA07E (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#602 4 years ago

A buddy of mine borrowed my Sopranos and got fed up with losing balls off the drop target so he installed this....
20190420_170105 (resized).jpg20190420_170105 (resized).jpg

It looks bad from this angle but you don't see it when playing and I haven't lost a single ball since!

Here is the players eye view

20190420_170101 (resized).jpg20190420_170101 (resized).jpg

#603 4 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

A buddy of mine borrowed my Sopranos and got fed up with losing balls off the drop target so he installed this....
[quoted image]
It looks bad from this angle but you don't see it when playing and I haven't lost a single ball since!
Here is the players eye view
[quoted image]

Yes it doesn't look bad from players view. I need to but something on the right ramp. A few times I've shot that ramp and it's had so much speed that it went to the right drain. I did get lucky once and it landed in the shooter lane. PS.... I may use your buddy's idea.

3 weeks later
#604 4 years ago

Just curious if anyone has ever cleaned their Sopranos playfield and if so, what products did you use to do it?

#605 4 years ago
Quoted from king_pin:

Just curious if anyone has ever cleaned their Sopranos playfield and if so, what products did you use to do it?

Check out this thread for some very useful info. The advice for clearcoated playfields applies to Sopranos.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

#606 4 years ago
Quoted from king_pin:

My choice

15576736305891198128193586122822 (resized).jpg15576736305891198128193586122822 (resized).jpg
#607 4 years ago
Quoted from king_pin:

My machine

15576736874006554321585186988954 (resized).jpg15576736874006554321585186988954 (resized).jpg
#608 4 years ago

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.

#609 4 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

My machine
[quoted image]

I see you have the special Captain Morgan edition Sopranos! I have the Bundaberg (Tony Soprano's rum of choice ) edition myself.

Bundaberg truck (resized).jpgBundaberg truck (resized).jpg

#610 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I see you have the special Captain Morgan edition Sopranos! I have the Bundaberg (Tony Soprano's rum of choice ) edition myself.
[quoted image]

I'll drink to that,
Next time I head to store I'll get the correct drink. Thanks

#611 4 years ago

For those of you that have gone 100% LED on this machine where did you get your bulbs? Is it difficult to update or is it just a matter of unscrewing bulbs and putting the new ones in? Thanks guys.

#612 4 years ago
Quoted from king_pin:

For those of you that have gone 100% LED on this machine where did you get your bulbs? Is it difficult to update or is it just a matter of unscrewing bulbs and putting the new ones in? Thanks guys.

I'm planning to replace the LEDs in my Sopranos with new ones from Comet Pinball as the previous owner installed mainly bright whites and they are WAY too bright. Ryan at Comet is a good dude and you can email him with any questions beyond the tons of info at his website.

Installing LEDs is not hard - you just have to make sure you purchase the right type of bulbs. Non-ghosting bulbs are more expensive, but eliminate the annoying flicker that can occur with cheaper bulbs. Sopranos also uses both the older bayonet type sockets for the GI lighting and 455's for the playfield inserts. Consult your game manual and look at your game to see which bulb base types to buy.

1 month later
#613 4 years ago
Quoted from king_pin:

I did the coin taker kit. Looks nice and clean. Just swap bulbs nothing crazy.

1 month later
#614 4 years ago

For those of you that have done the nvram upgrade on this to be able to remove the batteries I was wondering if you could provide me with some help. I've located the chip that needs removed but I've tried to pull it out and it's pretty hard. Wondering if it's just a matter of pulling harder or if there is something I'm missing?

648250262.png648250262.png
#615 4 years ago
Quoted from king_pin:

For those of you that have done the nvram upgrade on this to be able to remove the batteries I was wondering if you could provide me with some help. I've located the chip that needs removed but I've tried to pull it out and it's pretty hard. Wondering if it's just a matter of pulling harder or if there is something I'm missing?[quoted image]

https://www.amazon.com/a13032100ux0040-Anti-Static-Motherboard-Circuit-Extractor/dp/B00CQI99K6/ref=mp_s_a_1_4

I have one of these and it works great. Don’t even try with a flat head or other. This will put even pressure on both sides of chip.

Oh, and make sure you line up pin 1 of the nvram chip properly. The magic smoke never lies.

#616 4 years ago

I’ve pulled with mini flat screwdriver but def. that chip puller is the way to go to avoid potential damage to boards and/or chips/chip legs.

#617 4 years ago

Thanks guys. I was able to pull it using patience and a flat head screw driver. Got the nvram installed and all is good. No more batteries!

#618 4 years ago
Quoted from king_pin:

Thanks guys. I was able to pull it using patience and a flat head screw driver. Got the nvram installed and all is good. No more batteries!

Did you get the nvram from Pinball Life. I need to get two, Sopranos & Jack*Bot

#619 4 years ago
Quoted from king_pin:

Is nvram plug n play on those? Dang I should do those on all my sterns......

#620 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Is nvram plug n play on those? Dang I should do those on all my sterns......

Yes, and I believe still a little over $1 on AliExpress. My less than $2 AliExpress Nvram's have yet to have an issue, few years now.

#621 4 years ago

Got mine from pinitech.com it's the 6264 model. Plug and play. No soldering required. I'm a complete newbie and I was able to do it no problem.

#622 4 years ago

Ahhh snaps, I need to go through my games. thanks!

1 week later
#623 4 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

While Cliffy doesn’t make protectors specifically for Sopranos (he told me he hasn’t had access to a playfield), I discovered the protector he makes for the GB Scoleri Bros. drop targets fits the Stugots target perfectly.
I have an extra one if anyone wants it.

If you still have it I'm interested. PM me.

#624 4 years ago

What's the procedure in installing the NV Ram as I'm doing mine this weekend?
I'm guessing it's just a matter of pulling the batteries out and pulling the chip out, replace the chip with NV Ram and turn pin back on?
I assume it defaults your settings back to factory?

#625 4 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

What's the procedure in installing the NV Ram as I'm doing mine this weekend?
I'm guessing it's just a matter of pulling the batteries out and pulling the chip out, replace the chip with NV Ram and turn pin back on?
I assume it defaults your settings back to factory?

Yep. Power off. Batteries out. Ram chip out. NVRAM in. Make sure you line up pin #1 when putting the chip in the socket or you will see the magic smoke. Factory settings will be restored upon the next boot.

#626 4 years ago

After having my Sopranos working great for a long time, suddenly the right flipper has been starting to act up. It seems fine immediately after starting to play, but then it seems to intermittently flip on its own, or loose power or a second etc. I have looked at the EOS switch, and also looked over the solder points but there is no obvious damage here.

Any idea on where to start to look? I guess it is an issue happening on more Sterns, and not just Sopranos.

Thanks

#627 4 years ago

Check the cabinet switch. If it’s stock, it may be defective. There’s a service bulletin for them on sterns website.

Make sure continuity at the cabinet switch is solid.

#628 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Check the cabinet switch. If it’s stock, it may be defective. There’s a service bulletin for them on sterns website.
Make sure continuity at the cabinet switch is solid.

Cool, will give it an extra inspection

#629 4 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

After having my Sopranos working great for a long time, suddenly the right flipper has been starting to act up. It seems fine immediately after starting to play, but then it seems to intermittently flip on its own, or loose power or a second etc. I have looked at the EOS switch, and also looked over the solder points but there is no obvious damage here.
Any idea on where to start to look? I guess it is an issue happening on more Sterns, and not just Sopranos.
Thanks

I had the same issue. The original switch contacts get pitted and eventually do not reliably make contact. Replaced both of mine with the new parts from the service bulletin which resolved it.

#630 4 years ago

I recently had issues with mine. Turns out it was the button itself that was lose. I was able to tighten the plastic ring holding the button in place and resolved the issue. As a starting point, I'd check to make sure the plastic ring holding it in place is nice and tight.

#631 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

I had the same issue. The original switch contacts get pitted and eventually do not reliably make contact. Replaced both of mine with the new parts from the service bulletin which resolved it.

I found the bulletin and also ordered new switches now

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/sb156.pdf

#632 4 years ago

Made a few of these for a friend who had broken and missing dancers on two different The Sopranos . These are made from resin and are single piece instead of three pieces like the originals. These are hand painted and cleared, I also made the clear tubes they mount to but don't have mounting screws. If there is interest in these I may make up a few more but haven't really came up with pricing yet but they do take quite a while to paint. If someone wanted them unpainted it would be much less expensive I can say that.

Anyway if interested shoot me a PM.
IMG_20190820_2344437_01 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_20190820_2344437_01 (1) (resized).jpg

IMG_20190820_2344552_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20190820_2344552_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20190820_2348159_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20190820_2348159_01 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#633 4 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

Made a few of these for a friend who had broken and missing dancers on two different The Sopranos . These are made from resin and are single piece instead of three pieces like the originals. These are hand painted and cleared, I also made the clear tubes they mount to but don't have mounting screws. If there is interest in these I may make up a few more but haven't really came up with pricing yet but they do take quite a while to paint. If someone wanted them unpainted it would be much less expensive I can say that.
Anyway if interested shoot me a PM.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Talented. They look great.

#634 4 years ago

The lock mechanism on my Soprano's backbox seems a bit sketchy. It is working but seems like if you put enough pressure on the backbox it will fold. Of course I don't intend to do that but don't want it coming down.

Anyone have any issues with theirs?

#635 4 years ago

I like this game a lot. The multiball is fun and you can really score big. Love the callouts too. Might be one of my favorites.

1 week later
#636 4 years ago

If anyone has experience installing plastic protectors and has some advice please share. I got the pinbits plastic protector set and I am going to install them soon. Any of them more difficult than others? Is it lots of parts to remove? Thanks guys.

#637 4 years ago

Back from a complete tear down . Headed out in Long Island City at Creek and the Cave

52616 (resized).jpeg52616 (resized).jpeg
#638 4 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

Back from a complete tear down . Headed out in Long Island City at Creek and the Cave[quoted image]

Looking good. Were you doing a clean and wax, swap, repairs?

#639 4 years ago

I got all of the pinbits protectors installed except for this one. I took those risers off and tried to pry the plastic lose but the center one would losen. Also, how do I get the screw out of the rubber grey riser? I turned and turned and it never came. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

741216372.png741216372.png
#640 4 years ago
Quoted from king_pin:

I got all of the pinbits protectors installed except for this one. I took those risers off and tried to pry the plastic lose but the center one would losen. Also, how do I get the screw out of the rubber grey riser? I turned and turned and it never came. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.[quoted image]

Did you try securing down the nut on the opposite side of the playfield?

#641 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

Any chance you can link the service bulletin?

#642 4 years ago
#643 4 years ago
Quoted from okgrak:

Did you try securing down the nut on the opposite side of the playfield?

Are you taking underneath the playfield?

#645 4 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

Update so far:
- Replaced the dying DMD with one I got from Lermods (thanks dude!)
- Added red DMD filter. Huge improvement.
- Added lollipop rails to cover the flipper wear. Again, huge improvement.
- Added green superbands to the flippers, and have red titan rubbers for the rest of the playfield.
- Eliminated that terrible light hack and replaced it with Lermods backbox LED mod (thanks AGAIN dude). Looks a million times better.
- Tossed in four new super-shiny pinballs.
- Added NVRAM
- Replaced the missing boat drop target, and picked up an extra just in case.
I have some replacement plastics in transit, a brand new coin door on the way, and my pinbits plastic protectors just showed up today. Should be pretty much completely done within a week or so. I included some before and after pics.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

[quoted image]

Can you link me to the led kit you purchased for the backbox?

#646 4 years ago

Hey there, My dad's Sopranos machine seems to have a bad motor for the dancers. They barely move if at all. Trying to find the motor assembly for it, 500-6887-00 but no luck anywhere. Everyplace is out of stock. Any idea where I might find one? or how to repair one?

#647 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPhantom:

Hey there, My dad's Sopranos machine seems to have a bad motor for the dancers. They barely move if at all. Trying to find the motor assembly for it, 500-6887-00 but no luck anywhere. Everyplace is out of stock. Any idea where I might find one? or how to repair one?

Is it the motor or the belt slipping? Most times it's the belt slipping and a new belt fixes it.

#648 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Is it the motor or the belt slipping? Most times it's the belt slipping and a new belt fixes it.

Worth a shot, got 2 of them on order and 2 new flipper button switches (I saw the bulletin for this machine about them, always wonder why the ball sometimes struggled to shoot higher up the playfield, even after new flipper coils.) I'll post the results

Thanks!

#649 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPhantom:

It's the belt, 100%. Mine did the same thing, slight "back and forth", old belt was hard, found new one in goody bag. All good since.

#650 4 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

It's the belt, 100%. Mine did the same thing, slight "back and forth", old belt was hard, found new one in goody bag. All good since.

Exact same situation for mine. They would go back and for a little but never full circle. Replaced the belt. All good.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sopranos-owners-club-members-only-wheres-the-money/page/13?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.