(Topic ID: 127332)

Sopranos owners club! (members only) Where's the $*#$@! money?

By GoBlue

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,196 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by jrcmlc
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
20240106_174232.jpg
20240106_174249.jpg
20240106_122537 (resized).jpg
IMG_4208 (resized).jpeg
image0 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3552 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230903_010956166 (resized).jpg
break (resized).jpg
IMG_8797 (resized).JPG
IMG_8793 (resized).JPG
IMG_8794 (resized).JPG
right outlane plastic (resized).jpg
sopranos backglass (resized).jpg
AACB409F-F23F-45F2-898A-7D7308F06DA1 (resized).png
There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 24.
#451 6 years ago

Most of the time you just need the CPU/Display roms. You might just miss some sound callouts/music if they were added in a later sound version.

Color DMD Reuses and connects to the original DMD board. Its' software just recognizes the frames from the game and replaces them with the colored frames in real time.... (You still need display roms)

Most Data East/Sega/Stern games actually have 2 rom sockets on the back of the dmd but only use 1. Or like with Star Wars, early release machines used 2 2MB chips and then later consolidated to 1 4MB chip leaving the socket empty.

Here is a video of me installing my ColorDMD in Jurassic park which is pretty much the same as Sopranos so you can see how it goes in.

1 week later
#452 5 years ago

How do the modes work? Is there a way to change which mode is lit? Anyway in the settings to choose the order of the modes? How do you qualify the modes?

I want to try and set up a game for the KY derby on sopranos using the horse race mode.

thanks!

#453 5 years ago

I can't be sure, but I think I was one shot away from beating The Boss.
Only needed one shot to the center spinner.
Slow roller SDTM had me cursing more than the game on Adult Setting.

#454 5 years ago

Found out the hard way Fuse F20 is for the Safe coil #8 even though the stickers in the game and the manual say it is for magnets, not used in this game and are greyed out.
Hope this helps save someone some time.
It had a 3 amp slow blow. Manual calls for 4 amp sb. Put in a 4 amp sb not sure if that is right or if it is 4 amp sb because this was an intended magnet fuse? The other coil fuse calls for 3 amp sb.

#455 5 years ago

So I finally got my Sopranos delivered this week. Very excited to get it. Most everything seems working and intact and the playfield is nice overall, but it definitely needs a full topside shop job (cracked rubber and some needed mylar removal/replacement by the right rear drop by the boat). Any tips other than just taking lots of pics and praying?

The cab also had a few more dings than I was expecting. Luckily it’s just on the black parts, so touchup should be pretty easy. Any tips on type of paint to use or anything else on this? Thanks very much.

#456 5 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

So I finally got my Sopranos delivered this week. Very excited to get it. Most everything seems working and intact and the playfield is nice overall, but it definitely needs a full topside shop job (cracked rubber and some needed mylar removal/replacement by the right rear drop by the boat). Any tips other than just taking lots of pics and praying?
The cab also had a few more dings than I was expecting. Luckily it’s just on the black parts, so touchup should be pretty easy. Any tips on type of paint to use or anything else on this? Thanks very much.

This pin is super easy to shop just do one rubber at a time no pics needed

1 week later
#457 5 years ago

Hi! My metal safe (left side) is broken - i will try to make new safe. If somebody want this parts too, let me know i can make extra

#458 5 years ago
Quoted from vbobrusev:

Hi! My metal safe (left side) is broken - i will try to make new safe. If somebody want this parts too, let me know i can make extra

I’d be interested depending on price shipped to US.

#459 5 years ago

Just put LEDs everywhere in my game. There are definitely some inserts that ghost. I’d say about half of them. Not that noticeable so I’m gonna leave it.

I need to look into the spot lights that are above the spinner and point to the strippers. They don’t work. Any ideas from anyone? Every other socket in the game works.

So glad I finally found this game!!

#460 5 years ago

Some LEDs are polarized. Switch a bulb around and see if that works.

Have you beaten The Boss yet? I've gotten close, but haven't beaten it yet.

#461 5 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

Some LEDs are polarized. Switch a bulb around and see if that works.
Have you beaten The Boss yet? I've gotten close, but haven't beaten it yet.

I’ve gotten really close to getting there. The modes are always what keeps me away. I feel like I shouldn’t be that close to beating the game already, so I tighten the tilt, put lightning flippers on it, and took all the rubber off the inlanes and outlanes. Haha. Also the slings are crazy sensitive now. Plays pretty brutal, but fair. Just right. Haha

1 week later
#462 5 years ago

I'm getting hits on the safe whenever the ball is in the gets kicked out the fish like it's to sensitive anyone ever had this issue before

#463 5 years ago

I think I found a bug. Start at 1 hour and one minutes. During this game I work all the way up to having under boss lit. Then I tilt. When my next ball starts I’m all the way back down to associate.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/261481871

#464 5 years ago

You only get the one ball to try and finish The Boss wizard mode.
Once you drain, you're progress is wiped clean.

Think of it as a mob style execution for an unsuccessful power grab.

#465 5 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

You only get the one ball to try and finish The Boss wizard mode.
Once you drain, you're progress is wiped clean.
Think of it as a mob style execution for an unsuccessful power grab.

So once you have underboss lit, you need to get that AND boss on that same ball or else you have to build your rank back up?

#466 5 years ago

Once you have Under Boss lit, you need to have all of the red light categories lit: Episodes, Bada Bing!, Truck Heist, Food, Safe, R.I.P., Super Jackpot and Meadowlands. That starts The Boss wizard mode. Draining before completing all the categories doesn't reset your rank. Once you start The Boss mode, draining will reset your rank.

The good news is, once you are in the wizard mode you get a multiball going. You can also add-a-ball by completing F-I-S-H. Getting it down to a 2 ball multi makes it a bit more manageable and allows you a backup ball when going for dangerous shots. When you get down to a single ball, complete FISH for add-a-ball.

Granted it all sounds good in theory, seeing as I have yet to complete The Boss.

#467 5 years ago

That’s the thing. In the above video I had not even started underboss yet and wasn’t anywhere near Boss when I tilted.

#468 5 years ago

Apparently tilting on The Sopranos is punishable with Sleeping with the Fishes.
Tony doesn't play around.

#469 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That’s the thing. In the above video I had not even started underboss yet and wasn’t anywhere near Boss when I tilted.

Yes, once you have won the extra ball, you can tilt, lose your progress, and make it to the extra ball again. That is why I have removed my tilt bob.
I call it the "tilt strategy"

#470 5 years ago
Quoted from trufflepiggy:

Yes, once you have won the extra ball, you can tilt, lose your progress, and make it to the extra ball again. That is why I have removed my tilt bob.
I call it the "tilt strategy"

So it is the tilt. Damn. Well good thing I don’t have extra balls on. Could play the game forever.

#471 5 years ago

Yeah it’s the tilt - confirmed here too.

#472 5 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Yeah it’s the tilt - confirmed here too.

Good to know. Does it reset your rank from any point if you tilt?

#473 5 years ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

I'm getting hits on the safe whenever the ball is in the gets kicked out the fish like it's to sensitive anyone ever had this issue before

My safe keeps registering hits whenever the ball bounces around behind it. I’d really appreciate any ideas for a fix.

#474 5 years ago

Same thing is what mine is doing at first it wasnt registering but 1 out of 3 hits so I took all the black tape off of the switches and I had a broken wire soldered it out it back together then this problem started went from not registering hits to now too sensitive

#475 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just put LEDs everywhere in my game. There are definitely some inserts that ghost. I’d say about half of them. Not that noticeable so I’m gonna leave it.
I need to look into the spot lights that are above the spinner and point to the strippers. They don’t work. Any ideas from anyone? Every other socket in the game works.
So glad I finally found this game!!

Did you get non ghosting from comet?

#476 5 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Did you get non ghosting from comet?

They are comet, but I went with regular LEDs. Did not feel non ghosting were necessary, and they aren’t imo. The rank inserts ghost a bit, one of the fish letters, and one bada bing insert. That’s it as far as I can tell.

#477 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They are comet, but I went with regular LEDs. Did not feel non ghosting were necessary, and they aren’t imo. The rank inserts ghost a bit, one of the fish letters, and one bada bing insert. That’s it as far as I can tell.

Okay. Just since you mentioned r
They ghost.... non-ghosting doesnt

#478 5 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Okay. Just since you mentioned r
They ghost.... non-ghosting doesnt

Yeah. Non ghosting will fix those. Just don’t like putting non ghosting everywhere if they are not needed. Too expensive. I put regulars in, assess the true needs then go from there.

#479 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Good to know. Does it reset your rank from any point if you tilt?

I don’t think so??

#480 5 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I don’t think so??

It actually does. Just tested it tonight.

#481 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah. Non ghosting will fix those. Just don’t like putting non ghosting everywhere if they are not needed. Too expensive. I put regulars in, assess the true needs then go from there.

Thats true, it gets very rapidly expensive

#482 5 years ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

Same thing is what mine is doing at first it wasnt registering but 1 out of 3 hits so I took all the black tape off of the switches and I had a broken wire soldered it out it back together then this problem started went from not registering hits to now too sensitive

I tried bending the switch arms to adjust sensitivity, and unfortunately broke the plastic on one of the switches. Despite my cursing (fitting for this game, I guess) the mech actually works pretty well with one overly sensitive working switch. Anyone know if there is a way to adjust the safe so that it sits slightly more forward (not pushing the switch arm as much)? Getting in there to adjust the switch arms is a PITA.

#483 5 years ago

Finally beat Boss!
Had a so so game going after 2 balls then blew it up on the third.
Beat Boss and ended up with 362M.

Watched the season finale of Season 2 before starting the game.

#484 5 years ago

Does anyone need 5.0 roms? I ordered some for my game that I just got and it looks like the previous owner already put 5.0 roms in the machine so i have no need. The game rom and the display rom are what I have. I paid $25 or so shipped. Anyone want them for $20 shipped?

#485 5 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

Finally beat Boss!
Had a so so game going after 2 balls then blew it up on the third.
Beat Boss and ended up with 362M.
Watched the season finale of Season 2 before starting the game.

What’s your game plan to try for boss? I’ve been trying to knock out modes first, but that isn’t going well.

#486 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What’s your game plan to try for boss? I’ve been trying to knock out modes first, but that isn’t going well.

I never aim at the drop target, but always shoot for Stugots when a random shot drops the target. The multiball is worth it and you have to get the Super Jackpot to qualify for Boss.

Shoot for Meadowlands any time I'm cradled on the left flipper. It's the hardest shot on the table for me.

Jam on the spinner whenever the Pork Store is lit. The freebies come in handy.

I'm constantly trying to get a multiball and shoot for red arrows and the safe.

Episodes take care of themselves for the most part.

Most of the requirements for Boss get taken out without concentrating, it's the Super Jackpot and Meadowlands that are always the last to go.

The places I get drains from are:
- a fastball out of the pops that bumps off the ball guide and drains down the middle
- a slowball down the right orbit that gets bumbed from the Pork Store standup and goes sdtm
- a bricked shot off the drop target that airballs left, right or sdtm

Of course all of this doesn't always work, but then again nothing in pinball always works.

#487 5 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

Episodes take care of themselves for the most part.

I’ve gotten to underboss and lit most of the red circles probably 20 times, but the one I’ve never lit is the episodes. I’m gonna try and start doing the super skill to spinner to light modes right away.

Quoted from MadPole:

Most of the requirements for Boss get taken out without concentrating,

Agreed but super jackpot for me is by far the easiest for me outside of safe or bing. Meadowlands and episodes are the two hardest for me.

#488 5 years ago

I forgot, during multiball, light F-I-S-H and hit the fish for add-a-ball.
When i qualify for Boss, I play the 4 ball multi for a while until i get down to 2 balls. At that point, I make sure FISH is lit and nail it when i drop down to 1. Makes those dangerous shots not so dangerous.

#489 5 years ago

Super skill??? How did I not know about this - what’s the super skill shot??

I’m always down to episodes as well, and usually meadowlands too. The others aren’t too bad I find. Always shoot the drop targ from the right flipper to avoid airballs

#490 5 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Super skill??? How did I not know about this - what’s the super skill shot??
I’m always down to episodes as well, and usually meadowlands too. The others aren’t too bad I find. Always shoot the drop targ from the right flipper to avoid airballs

Hold left flipper down and plunge. Depending on the shot you make it’s a different award. Shoot spinner to automatically light a mode.

#491 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is a great stream for tips on completing
Boss:

3 weeks later
#492 5 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

I tried bending the switch arms to adjust sensitivity, and unfortunately broke the plastic on one of the switches. Despite my cursing (fitting for this game, I guess) the mech actually works pretty well with one overly sensitive working switch. Anyone know if there is a way to adjust the safe so that it sits slightly more forward (not pushing the switch arm as much)? Getting in there to adjust the switch arms is a PITA.

Update: I installed a new switch, removed the safe, and reinstalled making sure all the hardware was extra tight. Works great now (knock on wood). A couple of millimeters makes a big difference.

By the way, does anyone have an extra Tony’s house plastic (behind safe) or know where I could get one? Mine is pretty rough. Thanks.

#493 5 years ago

Does anyone by chance have a spare couple of sling plastics? I received a set of plastics today for a Sopranos I am working on, it is missing a sling from each side of the game. I need the opposite of the attached picture, meaning I need a lower left sling, and an upper right.

sling (resized).jpgsling (resized).jpg
#494 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Does anyone by chance have a spare couple of sling plastics? I received a set of plastics today for a Sopranos I am working on, it is missing a sling from each side of the game. I need the opposite of the attached picture, meaning I need a lower left sling, and an upper right.

That sucks! I had the same thing happen when I bought my “full” set.

#495 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Those plastics have been incredibly hard to find for almost a decade and pretty impossible for the last 5. They break easily without protection.

This is your only option: https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/the-sopranos-pinball-plastic-set-mini-kit/

Your safe plastic will also eventually break. It's included in the set.

#496 5 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Those plastics have been incredibly hard to find for almost a decade and pretty impossible for the last 5. They break easily without protection.
This is your only option: https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/the-sopranos-pinball-plastic-set-mini-kit/
Your safe plastic will also eventually break. It's included in the set.

The set I just got is complete except for the two missing slings. Was hoping someone may have one of each as a spare somewhere.

#497 5 years ago

Just installed an alternate translite and a red gel filter.
I'm liking the way it looks.

Sopranos (resized).jpgSopranos (resized).jpg
#498 5 years ago

Anyone have the issue where in multiplayer games, one player locks a ball in the boat, another player does the same, but the game releases both balls from the lock instead of one?

I’m thinking my game is too steep, but wanted to check here first.

#499 5 years ago

I haven't seen that happen.
No free multiballs... gotta earn'em.

#500 5 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

I haven't seen that happen.
No free multiballs... gotta earn'em.

K. The only thing I can think of is the steepness is allowing both balls to sneak out before the post goes back up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Louisville, KY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 1,196 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sopranos-owners-club-members-only-wheres-the-money/page/10?hl=vbobrusev and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.