• Latest reply 9 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4390.JPG
orbitor1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

We've all seen it, many of us have played it (once probably). Why does it exist and why is it worth more......check that.....why is it worth anything at all?
889 were made. Personally that's 889 too many. It's not fun, it's not pretty, it's not "inventive" or even very "interesting". Some ideas are just bad.......clearly.
If I had been the head of Stern at the time I would have told the person(people) who presented the idea to me to "get the F out of my office.....Oh, and stay off the LSD!"
Now you can say "they were just trying to think outside the box". Or it was "an exercise of imagination ", but that doesn't make it a good idea. Think outside the box all you want......hell maybe even make a prototype; but how the heck did it get past the prototype stage?
Call me crazy but pinball must have a reasonable amount of skill involved to be interesting. Hell, even pre flipper machines had more skill involved just from the ball launch alone.

I dont' think you fully understand this game. If you think there isn't skill to it. Why do the A players still win the tournaments involving this game. By a lot? I own this game, and they still constantly kick my ass at it. And for the skill shot. Do you even know what it is? If you think it's locking the ball. It's not.

This is ground breaking at it's finest. 1980, and it's the most unique pinball ever made. People that play mine, never forget it. Talk about it. Tell their friends about it (non pinheads) and then they are over to play it. So it must have some impact on non pinpeople. I love it because I love my games to have uniqueness to them.

#31 11 years ago

in a small collection, I agree it doesn't have long term staying power. But larger collection, it's unique value it's worth having.

For the true skill shot. You want the ball to go up and around and hit that yellow target that increases your spinner value. It's the only way to truly hit it with skill. The rest of the time it's random dumb luck. But it's also the game changer. That spinner value is key element in good scoring on that game.

#56 11 years ago

now that's a false statement right there. Nobody likes Battlefield earth. not even the actors that were in it.

As for the spinners being tricky. I've never had one person guess how they work correctly that didn't know the mechanical makeup of the game. Everyone always says. IS there magnets or something in there? The Spinners are also advanced way ahead of their time, because of the hit sensor system they have. With the U optos that we are used to from TZ. They have clear discs with printed slashes in them spinning through the opto. So when the ball grazes the spinner, it slows down a fraction, and acknowledges the hit, hence giving you points. Amazing stuff for 1980.

1 year later
#63 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballKen:

Holy resurected thread! For all those who posted that they had never played one, there will be an Orbiter 1 tourney at MGC this weekend.
And as for this

Great book! Worst movie adaptation from a book EVER!

Dude, you've played mine and know you can play it anytime you want. It's not like you don't get to see it.

I was toying with the idea of doing the color LED strip rolls under the playfield and use the techno strobe effect on it to totally screw with people when they play. That would be chaos. Put that along with the banana flippers on, but upside down. Would be the game from hell to control.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 125.00
$ 3.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider captainneo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/soorbitor-1what-why?tu=captainneo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.