• Latest reply 9 years ago by dothedoo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4390.JPG
orbitor1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astropin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

We've all seen it, many of us have played it (once probably). Why does it exist and why is it worth more......check that.....why is it worth anything at all?

889 were made. Personally that's 889 too many. It's not fun, it's not pretty, it's not "inventive" or even very "interesting". Some ideas are just bad.......clearly.

If I had been the head of Stern at the time I would have told the person(people) who presented the idea to me to "get the F out of my office.....Oh, and stay off the LSD!"

Now you can say "they were just trying to think outside the box". Or it was "an exercise of imagination ", but that doesn't make it a good idea. Think outside the box all you want......hell maybe even make a prototype; but how the heck did it get past the prototype stage?

Call me crazy but pinball must have a reasonable amount of skill involved to be interesting. Hell, even pre flipper machines had more skill involved just from the ball launch alone.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Bub:

So why bring it up.

Just trying to figure out what anyone see's in it. (Came across a video review of it recently and that reminded me of playing it at the PHOF).

Now I know......still don't agree but hey....to each their own.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Like any game, you have to give it 50 plays to really know it.
Sometimes I read reviews on Pinside and they say "I really did not like the colors"....

50 games aye? Of Orbitor 1.

I think I'd rather poke myself with a stick.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Orbitor 1 is a f**ing awesome game, end of story... if you don't get it, don't knock it.

That's like saying "Battlefield Earth" is an f**ing awesome movie, end of story... if you don't get it, don't knock it.

Sorry, doesn't work that way. It's a bad movie....period. I'm sure there are some people out there who loved it. Doesn't make it a good movie and it certainly doesn't stop most people from knocking it.

The unique playfield and challenge of 'reading the playfield' to aim shots never gets old, and the artwork, which is just rocks floating in space attracted by gravity, being mirrored perfectly by the spinning disks and the ball(s) orbiting them using the Earth's gravity is pure genius.

Playing it gets old for me.....rather quickly. Using the terrain (so to speak) and spinning disks to simulate gravity wasn't genius....it was obvious.

The op's attitude of not wanting to give the game a fair chance probably explains his lack of understanding and appreciation for this masterpiece in pinball innovation...

I tried to give it fair chance. (I've played it more than a few times but certainly not 50) I love space/astronomy/sci-fi.....and pinball. This one just didn't cut it for me.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Then your mind is made up.
No sense in asking others opinions about it.

Yeah....I guess I wasn't really asking. More "curious" as to who and why anyone likes it. Maybe that was a bad idea. Then again, maybe not because it looks like this thread has introduced some people to the existence of it for the first time. That's never a bad thing. I'm generally a very open minded person. I gave (I feel like I gave) Orbitor 1 a chance.....didn't like it.

Like I said, there are people who liked Battlefield Earth.....I'll never get that either.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

and The Hobbit rate higher.

Ha, Ha

1 year later
#83 9 years ago

Meh.....I really have to stand by my OP (Hey different strokes for different folks right?). After seeing it again at PATZ it did absolutely nothing to change my mind.

Yes - I did learn a few thing from this thread.....and I now have a deeper understanding of the game.

None of it changed the fact that I personally don't like it. Someone could give me the nicest example in existence, and I would trade it the same week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
$ 125.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider astropin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/soorbitor-1what-why?tu=astropin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.