(Topic ID: 184972)

Sooo many choices - times are good, no?!

By dtowndobe

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dtowndobe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3c9a01ce4692f4898a7dd06d0db19f75 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Pricing arguments aside for a moment - this is a great time to love pinball... So many choices out there for NIB and so many people showing love to used games! Just wow!

Spooky:
    - Jetsons contract (soon)
    - Dominos contract (can you still get one?)
    - Alice Cooper (soon)
    - Rob Zombie (done soon, supposedly still available?)

American Pinball:
    - Houdini (soon)

Heighway:
    - Full Throttle
    - Alien (soon)

PPS/CGC/Stern:
    - MMR (ending soon?)
    - AFMR (soon)

JJP:
    - WOZ (I think they're still making them?)
    - The Hobbit
    - Dialed In (soon)

Stern/Whizbang:
    - Pabst Can Crusher
    - Aerosmith
    - Batman
    - Ghostbusters
    - Elvira 3 (soon)
    - Others still being made like ST I think...

Multimorphic:
    - P3 system

Probably missing others, and look at all the independent games being made by all the crazy talented individuals out there...!

Now let me bring back the pricing argument for a second - I'm kinda glad, in a sick way, all these new games are so expensive, relatively speaking. If they were cheaper, my house would be full of pins, I'd be broke and my wife and kids would leave me!!!!!

1 week later
    #2 7 years ago

Had the chance to play a bunch of games (new and old) over the weekend... Some surprising results based upon brief exposure (about an hour):

Stern Transformers Autobots - love the theme. Have been wanting one for quite some time. After playing it, I no longer want it. Still love the theme, but felt uninspiring. Bummer.

Stern GOT Premium - neither here nor there on theme. Loved the game play. This surprised me. Had a lot fun playing it and hit the start button multiple times.

Stern TWD Pro - neither here nor there on theme. Did not like playing it. Only put one game on it.

Stern WOF - hit the start button for shits and giggles. Very intrigued - would love to play it more. Can't see buying one, but interesting game. Isn't this game the one with a major code issue?

Stern Batman 66 - like the theme, watched reruns as a kid. Game play was not for me. I also liked the LCD integration. I like the mix of animations with clips from the show.

Stern Aerosmith - abhor the theme! Game play was great for me. Had that "one more game" appeal for sure. Can't handle the music for more than a few minutes. Really liked the LCD screen and thought the animations were very good.

Stern Spiderman Home Version - Not bad. Couple of really dark areas on the playfield that stick out like a sore thumb. I think it is overpriced for what it is, but could be a good deal on the used market if they actually sell some. One very annoying feature - the speaker mounted to the very front of the cabinet! Felt like someone was trying to talk directly to my nuts! And not in a good way...

JJP Dialed In - not a huge fan of the theme. Didn't bond with the game play. Wanted to like it, but didn't. Love JJP's use of the big LCD in the back box.

JJP The Hobbit & Wizard of Oz - I have TH and have access to WOZ. Think both are great. TH will stay with me for a very long time. Not a fan of the WOZ theme, but it is a great game. Wouldn't mind having one some day.

PPS/CGC MMR - like the theme, like the game play. Ramps/returns were buttery smooth! Would absolutely play it on location, not inclined to have one in my personal collection though. Gotta admit the castle is one of the coolest pin features ever. Also really like the humor in the call outs. This particular machine had the color upgrade for the LCD screen. A must have if you ever get this pin.

Have to admit I really like Stern's new LCD. While I prefer JJP's larger screen and what it offers, Stern's take is very good and will only get better in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing what they do with it on future titles. Star Wars could be a huge hit and I'm looking forward to the release. Also very much looking forward to JJP #4 and getting my hands on Heighway's Alien.

#3 7 years ago

Forgot one game:

Stern Ghostbusters - theme OK. Didn't like the game play - played one ball and went to another game.

#4 7 years ago

I agree with it being a good time in Pinball. I find myself wanting a new game but unsure of what to get. I really wish we knew what jjp#4 is and star wars.

#5 7 years ago

Yeah - crap load of choices. Very glad I got to play a bunch of new ones. I'm much more inclined to wait for the next round of new titles at the moment. If Alien is at the upcoming Pinfest show, I hope to get a few games in on it. That is a theme I really like so I'm hoping I "bond" with the game play!!! If I do, that might be a purchase.

#6 7 years ago

So many choices if you're living in the past.

Times are good, no.

#7 7 years ago

I looked at the list... Then I looked at the list again and I am fairly certain that I will not be buying anything on your list. I also disagree with your suggestion that now is any better a time than any other time in pinball. It's always a good time to buy pinball machines.

I'm just curious... Does a machine have to be new for you to consider buying it?

#8 7 years ago

Doesn't have to be new for me to consider buying... 2 out of 3 in my massive collection were used when I purchased!

I'm also interested in an EM - will be closely looking while at Pinfest.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

So many choices if you're living in the past.
    Times are good, no.

I took this as "another" snarky comment about current themes.........yet your collection is almost entirely "living in the past"....the ancient past (not that there's anything wrong with that).

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

your collection is almost entirely "living in the past"....the ancient past (not that there's anything wrong with that).

There doesn't seem to be much choice, these days.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

There doesn't seem to be much choice, these days.

Pinball themes are NEVER going to be cutting edge "hip". Too much risk. They want "nostalgia", they want tried and true.

You want cutting edge without licenced themes....wait for a P3 (I'll pass on the P3....it does not intrigue me).

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Pinball themes are NEVER going to be cutting edge "hip". Too much risk. They want "nostalgia", they want tried and true.

I'm lobbying for a bassmasters pinball theme right now. Legendary license that's still current.

#13 7 years ago

What choices? If I wanted to go buy a game now that's finished and ready to go, my choices are:

some stern games made a few years ago that they continue to rerun (metallica, TWD)
    Hobbit
    maybe full throttle? Though I'm not sure if they're actually making them currently?

That's it.

Batman not finished, Aerosmith not finished, ghostbusters still needs updates, etc. You probably wouldn't get your Alien order until next year, TBL is a mess, Rob Zombie is sold out and Alice Cooper isn't available for a while, etc. So what choices? Preordering something for an unknown timeframe isn't a choice.

#14 7 years ago

I think the op was simply saying that there is more selection currently than simply only whatever stern is offering. With so many new companies offering games, it only adds to the options we have. Some good, some maybe bad, but still better than only one company producing games.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Preordering something for an unknown timeframe isn't a choice.

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice"

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from dtowndobe:

Pricing arguments aside for a moment - this is a great time to love pinball... So many choices out there for NIB and so many people showing love to used games! Just wow!

Quoted from dtowndobe:

Stern Transformers Autobots ... After playing it, I no longer want it. Still love the theme, but felt uninspiring.
    Stern TWD Pro - neither here nor there on theme. Did not like playing it.
    Stern WOF - ... Can't see buying one, but interesting game. Isn't this game the one with a major code issue?
    Stern Batman 66 - ...Game play was not for me.
    Stern Spiderman Home Version - Not bad. Couple of really dark areas on the playfield that stick out like a sore thumb. I think it is overpriced for what it is
    JJP Dialed In - not a huge fan of the theme. Didn't bond with the game play. Wanted to like it, but didn't.
    PPS/CGC MMR - ...Would absolutely play it on location, not inclined to have one in my personal collection though.

amazing times indeed!

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

You want cutting edge without licenced themes....wait for a P3 (I'll pass on the P3....it does not intrigue me).

What about Congo and JM and Shadow? Those were new licenses at the time. Same with Jurassic Park.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

What choices? If I wanted to go buy a game now that's finished and ready to go, my choices are:
    some stern games made a few years ago that they continue to rerun (metallica, TWD)
    Hobbit
    maybe full throttle? Though I'm not sure if they're actually making them currently?
    That's it.
    Batman not finished, Aerosmith not finished, ghostbusters still needs updates, etc. You probably wouldn't get your Alien order until next year, TBL is a mess, Rob Zombie is sold out and Alice Cooper isn't available for a while, etc. So what choices? Preordering something for an unknown timeframe isn't a choice.

Hobbit is, hopefully, not finished.

See what KH wrote... Lots of options out there, some good, some bad. Lots of used games available, some good, some bad. Absolutely better to have more than one choice for NIB as far as I'm concerned. I did the preorder thing once. Turned out fine in the end (The Hobbit), but I'll likely never do it again. Drove me nuts having paid money with nothing to show for 18 months.

Agreed Alien wouldn't be until next year as I won't preorder. Star Wars would seriously tempt me to preorder, but I will resist!

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

What about Congo and JM and Shadow? Those were new licenses at the time. Same with Jurassic Park.

They just did Ghostbusters, Batman66, Alien, and Aerosmith. How much newer do you want?

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

And......three out of four of those BOMBED as far as sales are concerned...so thanks for proving my point.

#21 7 years ago

I agree we are heading to a buyers market fully. I am a buyer that makes me real happy.

I have an unmoving tom. I need a AFM or remake, mmr or mm and then a Tron. If I can't get a kingpin at that point I will be in trouble.

But I also have my eye towards a monster bash remake. Still I have plenty of places to spend my money now...

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from taylor34:

Hobbit
    That's it.

I dunno, i think most of us have always been so interested, and so intrigued to see what new title will be released from Stern whether we were planning on buying or not. Back then, that excitement happened once every 6 months or so. Nowadays we get to see and hear about a new release every few months; whether it's from Stern, Spooky, JJP, or some other upcoming manufacture. It doesn't mean everyone is going to jump on the wagon and buy every release, though it seems that way sometimes; it just means we get to have a little more fun in our hobby seeing what awesome talent is brought to us with the next design, theme, rules, art, etc... So yes, these are exciting times. Maybe not for buyers or sellers, but at least for those of us who love the hobby as a whole.

#23 7 years ago

One other thing i'll mention. In the far past, before pinside forums, I bought a pin (usually NIB) with no intention whatsoever to trade or sell; i just didnt understand that side of the hobby. Then, a few years later; social media picks up, pinside starts gaining ground and i begin meeting more and more people in this hobby....good people at that. And that's when i start selling/trading the first pins i ever bought. Then, the disease sets in and i become more of a player than a collector (I only ever had room for 4-5 pins so keeping the same pins grew tiresome at times). So as social media picks up and more people get introduced to the hobby and stern only releasing a couple titles a year, i was able to buy just about every new release and sell/trade it months later at a very minimal risk $-wise.

Now, things have escalated even further; stern is putting out even more games per year, there's new manufacturer's, and more people in the hobby. And with all that demand, comes higher prices. So now there's more risk involved for me buying/selling/trading; taking bigger hits on NIB purchases than ever before. Luckily for me, the talent is better now too. Designers are putting out faster, more fun games that have me coming back more often; giving me the action and fun that lacked in yesterdays pins which is a key element for games to be more of a keeper as revisiting them can be so much fun.

So yes, this is a good time for the hobby and it has changed over the years. In some elements for the better, and in other aspects for the worse. But all in all, i love reading, seeing, and admiring new pins; whether i own them or not.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

And......three out of four of those BOMBED as far as sales are concerned...so thanks for proving my point.

I don't know. All four of those machines had decent sales numbers and are all still desirable today.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I don't know. All four of those machines had decent sales numbers and are all still desirable today.

I would say they are more sought after today. Most of those were considered turds for a long time. Back in those days they were hoping for over 6000 sales......without having to blow them out at discounted pricing at the end of the run.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Most of those were considered turds for a long time.

All I know is when I saw them on route I thought they were a cool representation of the times. Almost like movie posters. Play the games and then go see the movies.

#27 7 years ago

The popularity of pinball continues to rise and that drives more and more options for new and old game collectors alike. It’s a fantastic time for pinball and while I definitely don’t think any of the newer games have that “it” thing that really makes 90s games so amazing. I love my AC/DC at the moment but it really is just another stern with lights to show you where to hit the ball and lots of flashing and sounds.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

All I know is when I saw them on route I thought they were a cool representation of the times. Almost like movie posters. Play the games and then go see the movies.

JM was a great representation of the movie...a piece of hot garbage.

#29 7 years ago

And here is another choice you can add to your list. It's a prototype so I'm only taking a 500 dollar down payment.

Blue and yellow side rails are standard but you can get red and yellow for an upgrade fee. Watch out for that left outlane, it's a bitch.

3c9a01ce4692f4898a7dd06d0db19f75 (resized).jpg3c9a01ce4692f4898a7dd06d0db19f75 (resized).jpg

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

JM was a great representation of the movie...a piece of hot garbage.

Actually the game is WAY better than the movie.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I dunno, i think most of us have always been so interested, and so intrigued to see what new title will be released from Stern whether we were planning on buying or not. Back then, that excitement happened once every 6 months or so. Nowadays we get to see and hear about a new release every few months; whether it's from Stern, Spooky, JJP, or some other upcoming manufacture. It doesn't mean everyone is going to jump on the wagon and buy every release, though it seems that way sometimes; it just means we get to have a little more fun in our hobby seeing what awesome talent is brought to us with the next design, theme, rules, art, etc... So yes, these are exciting times. Maybe not for buyers or sellers, but at least for those of us who love the hobby as a whole.

It's not really exciting though when the games aren't available to buy. I equate it to Sony and their PS4 E3 shows where they show off 10 mind blowing things whipping everyone into a frenzy but then those things aren't available for years. In two or three years when all of these things are actually 'buyable' then I'll get excited, getting excited before the game is done or available just never works out well (I've been trained well by the video game industry). Magic girl was basically the Duke Nukem 3d of the pinball industry. Alien is like Star Citizen. Star Wars is like the next Red Dead game, the game that's coming out soon that everyone is waiting for. No point in getting worked up about them until they're actually finished and ready to play.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Actually the game is WAY better than the movie.

That's the truly sad part.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from dtowndobe:

Stern TWD Pro - neither here nor there on theme. Did not like playing it. Only put one game on it.

I didn't want to comment on every game you listed. But my opinion is different on some of them. However, this one (TWD) I do want to say, don't judge a book by its cover. The game is a stone cold bitch. It took a long time (and some code updates!) before it clicked for me. The game is exquisite while being horrifically hard. The rules match the difficulty. You can overlook it if you want, but it is a well done game.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I didn't want to comment on every game you listed. But my opinion is different on some of them. However, this one (TWD) I do want to say, don't judge a book by its cover. The game is a stone cold bitch. It took a long time (and some code updates!) before it clicked for me. The game is exquisite while being horrifically hard. The rules match the difficulty. You can overlook it if you want, but it is a well done game.

Can't argue with your points. Many have said the same. I didn't really have a ton of time to dedicate to any one game, and TWD didn't click for me so I moved on to the next machine that caught my eye. I will certainly put more time on it when the opportunity arises. Maybe there will be one at Pinfest and I can put more time on it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sooo-many-choices-times-are-good-no?hl=walleyefisher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.