(Topic ID: 245569)

Sooo... going to do a topside teardown of Monopoly... any advice?

By Dantesmark

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by cody_chunn
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

JP Cleaning.png
    JP PF.JPG
    20190128_184106 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png

#1 8 months ago

I think i will sketch the playfield on cardboard and transfer the parts hat i remove to it.
    Anything specific pertaining to monopoly that i should be aware of or tips before i begin?

Thx guys!

#2 8 months ago

If you have an odd ball part that you are sure you'll remember where it goes.

Take pictures and notes.

LTG : )

#4 8 months ago
    Quoted from Dantesmark:

Sooo... going to do a topside teardown of Monopoly... any advice?

Yeah, don't do it!

Kidding. Take tons of pictures. Then take a few more. I even do a very slow moving and long video trying to cover every part/wire/etc. Has come in handy many times.

#5 8 months ago

Niice!
    Thx!!!

#6 8 months ago

I shopped my monopoly a couple of months ago. It was a very easy game to clean up. My advice is the same as others take a bunch of photos. It's a huge pop bumper job which sucks. Buy the post rubbers from Cliffy. They take a beating and the titan ones didn't hold up way too soft.

#7 8 months ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

Quoted from LTG:

Take pictures and notes.

^^^ take 2-3 pics of SAME thing, often there are blurry images, shadows etc, often more than one image of the same thing has helped me out. Even if you THINK you will remember something, take pictures anyway!
    Organize your images often so you don't get to image 245 and forget what it is a picture of. I avg. over 1000+ images per restore and if unorganized, WHAO.

20190128_184106 (resized).jpgpasted_image (resized).png
    #8 8 months ago

Just when you think you have enough pictures, take another 25% more.

#9 8 months ago

I go section by section on the pf. Each section is placed into a ziplock. Tons of pics. Each section also has notes taken on it, like special things to remember when reassembling.

#10 8 months ago

Just tear down one area at a time and then reassemble and move on to next area . . .

#11 8 months ago

I like to set the playfield glass flat (on top of a table or across some chairs etc) next to the game and then as I remove each item I put it on the glass in the relative orientation and location that they were on the playfield. This really helps me to keep everything organized. I'll then clean stuff and put it back on the glass until it's ready for final assembly back onto the cleaned playfield.

Check out Vid's playfield cleaning / waxing guide too for some great tips too

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide.

As already mentioned, take tons and tons of pictures. I've never taken too many but I've regretted missing the right angle or shot too many times to count.

#12 8 months ago

I can't stress to you enough about taking some notes. There will be little things along the way that you'll THINK you'll remember when you repopulate. But you're going to forget. Take notes.

#13 8 months ago

Similar to GSones, but I just use a table. When I remove something from the playfield I just place it on the table in the area it where it was on the PF. Helps keep things organized, and lets me know where things went. Also I can clean individual pieces and place them right back on the table one at a time. This picture was from my recent JP cleaning.
    JP PF.JPG
    JP Cleaning.png
    And to reiterate what others have said, take plenty of photos. (Excuse the few dog pics thrown in there.)

#14 8 months ago

Ask yourself how much you REALLY need to take off & for what reason. DO you need to take all the guides off to regrain them, do you need to take every single little screw out from a bigger mech just to do it? Maybe, maybe not.

My #1 thing when I first started was to try to make sure, as hard as it was, to leave my sober self DECENT notes from my night self.
    See, THAT guy love to take shit off like clear cutting. And the next day when I'd look at a part and a piece of tape would say "Left side, bad...weird?" it didn't really help.
    Also, if you think something is complex, like a weird bulb wiring going under the PF take a video explaining it.

#15 8 months ago

Thx everyone!

#16 8 months ago

Install the ramp "tops" while you're there. They really are useful on this game.

When you install the ring on the spinning flipper, push it down to 1/16th from the bottom of the flipper.

There's a corner of a ramp flap that needs to be trimmed to eliminate ball traps on the drop target.

Consider installing mylar around the lower set of pops, where the ball drops off the railroad and in front of the upper flipper.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    $ 4,199.00
    $ 119.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 2.50
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 300.00
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 99.00
    Hardware
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 12.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.95
    Cabinet Parts
    Merf's Pins
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside