(Topic ID: 147169)

soon to be father looking for advice on pin hauler

By BBC

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Hi Guys, Having my first baby in about 7 months and looking ahead at a pin hauler purchase. I have always had a small pickup truck to haul pins, but now I need something I can get a car seat in : ) I have looked at the f150 Super Crews, and they seem great, but expensive. I wouldn't mind an SUV as long as I can get a pin in there. I collect both EM's and DMD's. Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Thanks, Brian

#2 8 years ago

Congratulations on your baby!

Do you want a car you can haul the pin and the baby at the same time? If not, you can fit a pin in just about anything. I have an Expedition. It can haul kids and pins in any weather.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks!!! Probably wife, kids and pins at the same time!!!

#4 8 years ago

Crystler sto and go mini van, wife will be happy(she'll immediatley think you want more kids) and you can fit two games in the back when not hauling little dudes.

#5 8 years ago

Minivans work well. Way more storage space than an SUV and haul more people than a truck.

#6 8 years ago

Toyota 4 runner. perfect for any pin. Very reliable and hold there value for best resale. plus very smooth ride

#7 8 years ago

she won't even THINK of me getting a minivan!!! I'll look at the 4 runner. Keep the ideas comin!!

#8 8 years ago

I have a suburban with the 3rd row. Tons of room for pins and baby and some presents for your wife after she pops that baby out.

#9 8 years ago

Don't totally dis the mini van until you drive a Honda Odyssey. Super nice ride, low entry making it easier for kids and elderly to enter and exit. AV system that rivals many living rooms, and good mileage and reliability to boot. Seats fold flat or are easily popped out to allow hauling at least two machines, three in some cases I've heard: two side by side in the back, and one across the area behind the front row seats.
    If your testosterone level completes recedes at the though of a mini van, I put in a second vote for the Toyota 4 Runner. The second vehicle in my stable is a Tacoma. +1 on resale value retention. Good luck finding a deal on a used one. I had to drive from Iowa City to DeKalb, IL to find one at a price I could afford.

#10 8 years ago

My wife said she would never get a minivan.....till i got a minivan. You can haul 6 people around, and 2 minutes later you can haul two pins, sto and go seats rule. It makes life with kids a whole lot easier, and my grand caravan once hauled me, my wife, two kids, mother in law, baby gear,van full of presents from christmas, and a Bride of pinbot for an 8 hour road trip. Minivans rule.

#11 8 years ago

We just picked up a 2008 Chrysler aspen on the cheap. It has TONS of room, 8 people can fit, a huge hemi, tv for the kids, heated seats and all the other comforts you could want. They stopped making them in 2009, so they are really cheap to pickup.

#13 8 years ago

Put your manhood aside a get a mini van. You will be glad later.

#14 8 years ago

SHE insists on no mini van. I wouldn't mind

#15 8 years ago

Congrats!! Look no further than a Honda CRV....Best bang for your buck and will be a great fit for the family. My girlfriend loves to drive mine.

#16 8 years ago

I second the 4Runner. Only pins I know of that don't fit without some disassembly are Pin2k and Banzai Run. Had to borrow a neighbor's Astro van for BR.

#17 8 years ago

Congrats Brian - you'll have a blast!

Don't worry, you won't have any time for the first year to use your new pin hauler for anything pinball related anyway.

Truck works great because the open bed allows you to haul things much larger than pinballs, like old EM arcade games, soda machines, etc. This also can be a negative because everything's exposed to the elements, you can't stop and keep everything locked up, etc. You can also haul a trailer if you need too. Pros and Cons.

My brother in law just got a Town and Country, and I'd have to say I'd drive it and it would be a great pin and baby hauler. Much better gas mileage too. More seating. Mini vans are definitely not what they used to be.

I've had a truck for over 10 years and it works great but there are many other options (as you know, you started this thread).

Good luck with your new vehicle and your new addition to the family!

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from Lame33:

Minivans work well. Way more storage space than an SUV and haul more people than a truck.

No man should ever own or drive a mini van.

#19 8 years ago

I love my mini van. I can fit 2 pins or seat 7 people. Or 3 people and 1 pin. It's great

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from Okarcades:

I love my mini van. I can fit 2 pins or seat 7 people. Or 3 people and 1 pin. It's great

I am a mini van convert. Currently have a 2015 Honda Odyssey. Can do just what is claimed above......sack up and get a Minivan

#22 8 years ago

I have been doing a lot of research on this topic as well and here is where I am at. I am 61 years old and don't really like to deck height of a pick up or SUV because I have been using my full size van to move machines for years and it is so easy loading them by just tilting them then sliding them in. I always fee sooooooooooo sorry for people who have to lift machines to get them into their vehicle.

Anyway after looking at dozens of vehicles in person and doing a ton of research I have decided on a Kia Sedona. Even though it is a mini van it looks more like an SUV. Has low deck height for easy loading and with 3rd row fold down seats and second row seats all the way forward there is plenty of room for pretty much any pinball in it without really doing anything other than sliding seats forward. But the best part is the safety rating of this vehicle. It blows pretty much all other mini vans and SUVs away as far as overall safety rating.

Even though it is a mini van it actually has more of an SUV look than a mini van look and price is much better than most SUV's I looked at. I was a pick up truck guy for years but never looked back after buying my first full size van (hated the look but love the fact stuff was safe & dry in the back). What a difference when it comes to ease of loading & unloading a van and what ever you have in the back is locked up safe & sound and out of the weather. There is nothing better that a full size van for moving pins but now we are looking for something smaller and the Kia seems like the best fit. I'll be picking up my 2016 this week.

I know you said you wife wouldn't want a mini van but if you have the chance get her to give the Sedona a look in person. It seems to have it all - great safety rating, plush interior, decent fuel mileage, nice look, low deck height, decent towing for up to a 3500 pound trailer, plenty of leg room (I am 6'6" tall), and one pin fits great without removing any seats. I'll likely use a trailer when picking up more than one pin but I think two will fit fine removing second row seats.

I also looked at the Honda Odyssey because that got a little better fuel mileage than the Sedona and had the same great safety rating but that thing is a mini van for sure. The Kia seemed to have it all - looked more like an SUV and was priced cheaper than the Honda so I am sold on the Kia.

Don't get hung up on looks and buy another pick up. If you go in the direction of a van or mini van you might not feel as cool but you will feel a lot smarter when moving a pin or other bigger stuff in the rain! And if you need open vehicle for some purposes you can buy a decent open trailer for under $1000 than has those needs covered. Now that you are getting a little older think smart not showy and give the Sedona or Odyssey a good hard look.

Good luck with your first child! From experience there is nothing better than having a couple kids to make you life full!

Just my 2 cents on the "best vehicle to move machines topic"

#23 8 years ago

Forgot to add the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty is hard to beat!

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

I'm a geek that has never felt the want or need to be swayed by the marketing that has convinced so many to place the essence of their manliness into at two ton death trap. If you want your vehicle to be the perceived projection of your self-identity, have at. You show those Jones'.

For me, it's a matter of function over form. I've not found a more comfortable ride that can securely cover and haul more pins and people at the same time. But what do I know, my other car is a Prius.

#25 8 years ago

A touch of little man syndrome? Let me guess you drive a huge f350 that can fit only one pin in the back and you better hurry cause it looks like rain!

#26 8 years ago

Ah pinside. The home of those who chide minnivans as being unmanly but never hesitate to demand an up close shot of the nude Stallone on demolition man.

#27 8 years ago

Mini-Van = climate controlled pin hauler !!!! I rent them all the time

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

A touch of little man syndrome? Let me guess you drive a huge f350 that can fit only one pin in the back and you better hurry cause it looks like rain!

Actually I drive a new twin turbo Cadillac. If I ever need to move a pin I just use my little Toyota Tacoma. Sorry to offend some of the "Thin Skinned" mini van owners here.

#29 8 years ago

Toyota Sienna awd

#30 8 years ago

I use my wife's 2014 Honda Pilot. It's amazing comfortable as a suv, dual climate control, three rows searing when needed and ac/heater vents in all three rows. The way the seats fold down I can fit a pin on one side of the car and a car seat on the other side.

#31 8 years ago

Actually I drive a new twin turbo Cadillac. If I ever need to move a pin I just use my little Toyota Tacoma. Sorry to offend some of the "Thin Skinned" mini van owners here.

Lol i was just bustin balls, in addition to the minivan i have a little subaru baja ive had for 10 years, pins look hilarious with the front sticking over the tailgate some.

#32 8 years ago

My wife's '05 Honda CRV is an excellent pin hauler. AWD, great turn radius, plenty of room with two carseats and storage in the back.

#33 8 years ago

I saw the best one ever last week. I was watching the movie Bicentennial man, about 3 minutes into the movies he was being delivered to the family. A van drove up, a guy pushed a button, and that was all it took. The android was in a box in the back of the van. The box went out of the van 6 feet, then turned the box 90 degrees and set the box gently on the ground with the feet end of the box on the ground. Just a push of a button, I could get into that!

#34 8 years ago

My advice is find a decked out town and country and odyssey and take your wife on a test drive in them. If it's your first child your wife doesnt yet realize the benefits of a minivan that make it sooooo much easier. My wife and i bought a crossover before our first and 3 months later we were like "what the eff were we thinking?" A) the ability to stand up in a vehicle and have space to move around while you situate your child is priceless and your back will love you and when its cold as heck in the winter youll appreciate being able to shut the door behind you and quickly take care of stuff. The rear dvd systems keep your kids in check while driving... When we got the van this was the other big upgrade that has made life easy B) as a pin hauler it's much more practical than a truck- gas, can haul in bad weather, and beats a car by hauling more people and pins. When i go pick up a pin out of state i now take my kid and wife along, we stay the night, enjoy the sites, ride comfotably etc.

#35 8 years ago

Sorry dude. Looks like mini van time for you. Congrats to your new family"

#36 8 years ago

I was seriously considering the Chrysler / Dodge mini vans till I looked a videos of crash test and now that I have done some research on them Now I will not even consider riding in one let alone owning one. Honda & Kia are the only two mini vans that have good crash test results but the Kia seems much nicer than the Honda and looks better also in my opinion.

I think Honda has a great overall name and I love their generators & other power equipment as well as their vehicles but when I looked at both the Kia just seemed nicer and the 100,000 warranty is hard to beat. Plus I have had several friends that have owned Kia's in the past 10 or 12 years and they all seem to love them. Up until Thursday when my wife talked me into looking at the Kia I would have never thought Kia would be my first choice when it comes to a vehicle but once we test drove one I have to say I was very impressed.

To make things even better our local Kia dealer offers double the factory warranty 10 years or 200,000 miles to original owner. 200,000 mile power train warranty is just insane!

Give me a few months and I'll let you know if I still feel the same way but for now I am 100% sold on the Kia as far as the best bang for the buck

#37 8 years ago

Only the new gen kia's dont suck. The odyssey and town and country (each with their own advantages) are best. I liked the odyssey better but went with t&c to save some money and am happy with it.

#38 8 years ago

We are looking at a new 2016 Kia. I just couldn't get past the POOR crash Test rating for partial frontal crash on the T&C or Dodge and I really don't like the look of the Honda for some reason. A buddy of mine all but lost his leg in a Dodge Caravan wreck a few years back and they still have not improved the design on that so T&C or Dodge just isn't in the cards for me.

#39 8 years ago

Do not get a journey, its just big enough to not fit a pin without taking the head off

#40 8 years ago

I picked up a New Honda CRV for 23K OTD. Never paid that much before for a car.
    Flawless for 8 months, Ive been offered more for it now then I paid.

My neighbor, In car finance for 14 years for another company bought a CRV. Pinball not needed.
    An old friend, had one for 4 years, and lost only 2K after 4 years, in value when he sold.

Easy in an out for a pin, insanely great gas mileage, and not only rated a superior vehicle,
    but highest value retention.

Great safety and ease of driving for my wife.

For you and your wife, a wonderful and blessed future.....congrats on a baby, and future pinhead!

#41 8 years ago

NEVER thought I'd get a minivan, but have had one for years now.

I just moved 6 pins and a multicade by myself with a Honda Odyssey. The huge amount of room and lower rear height are unbelievable for this. Low step in height for kids and dogs, etc too. As long as I keep getting pins, the Odyssey will be here.

#42 8 years ago

Get a dodge Ram crew cab. Super reliable, fun to drive, can haul anything, mileage is better than all large SUV's, and it is easier to get car seats in and out of than my wife's minivan. I have 3 kids, and even when I had 2 in a booster and 1 in a full carseat, they still fit comfortably.

#43 8 years ago

I have a trailer...but...

I had a 2000 Chevy Tahoe, which was bulletproof, hauled my two kids and would fit a Stern on it's side with the 60/40 bench 40 part folded.
    A suburban fit 2 pins in the 3rd row without folding the second, and they're safe from the weather.

I have done most of my pin hauling with a Chevy Avalanche. Super dependable, and will fit 3 in the bed if need be (Two vertical, one on the tailgate, and no, never lost one) I have even been able to put a WPC game inside the back seat because the rear wall comes completely out.

Can't kill a 5.3 GM engine, they're the best!!

#44 8 years ago

Any mid size suv. Minivans rule. Pickups have high tail gates. I run pick ups because I also haul trailers and boats. any full size pick up has a back seat row. The bigger crew cabs would work.

#45 8 years ago

Put the baby in the pin

#46 8 years ago

Got a 2012 T&C minivan and cannot imagine much better of a pin hauler. The best part about it is the head room for me. At 6'1 it is nice to have abundant head room in a vehicle. I bet if you were 6'8" you would still be fine.

#47 8 years ago

Avalanche is the best.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Put your manhood aside a get a mini van. You will be glad later.

Mini vans are for douchebags.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Mini vans are for douchebags.

Most places that sell minivans also give a 20% off coupon for a new purse.

#50 8 years ago

Get a decent van Merc or Dodge Sprinter 2500. Heaps of space after a rear seat is fitted. Not much bigger than a normal Wagon. You will not even have to fold up the pram. Get pre 06 so you dont have the newer shape with all the sensors etc. Great vans. Im on my 4th

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/soon-to-be-father-looking-for-advice-on-pin-hauler/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.