(Topic ID: 192940)

Son's 14th birthday.... wants to play pinball...where (SE. WI)

By 67cutlass

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Breaking_Dad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

My son is turning 14 on July 17th. I asked him what he wants to do for his birthday.... His #1 answer? PINBALL!!!!!

Now he comes my problem. We wants to play newer Stern games (Star Trek, Metallica, AC/DC, etc). I'm trying to find
    something new and different since it's his birthday and I want to make it special. We've been to Underground Retrocade,
    Chicago Street Pinball, Arcadia (in McLean), Rossi's, Pooley's, Schwoegler's, Alt Brew, Level 257, Geeks Mania, Pepi's.

I don't mind driving 2-4 hours and staying over night on the 16th if need be.

Any ideas? I know Logan's would be nice, but since he fake ID isn't that good... LOL

He (and I) would love to go to CP Pinball.... but that's a little far right now.

#2 4 years ago

Probably farther than you want to go but there is a great arcade in Des Moines called The Old School Arcade. It is owner by a local collector. I think they have around 20 pins. There is a back room with newer Sterns. Hard to say what the current inventory is because he rotates machines in and out of his home collection. I know he recently added an AS and BM66. It is one price to play and all games are set to free play.

http://www.theoldschoolarcade.com/

There is also a new (very new) barcade in Des Moines that just opened called The Operating Room that was opened by a local surgeon and pinball collector. I haven't been there yet but my daughter went last week and said it was very cool and sent me pictures of a lot of new Sterns - they are also a Stern dealership as well. They have a Whoa Nellie and a Pabst Can Crusher as well as AS, BM66, AFMR, MMR, WOZ, TH, etc. You would have to check to see if minors can enter though.

https://www.facebook.com/theordsm/

#3 4 years ago

Geeks mania has a lot of pins but not a huge selection of newer sterns. We are kind of in the same boat as you, there are so many newer sterns I want to play with my kids but I don't want to take them into a bar to do it. I still haven't played twd premium, acdc premium, tron, MET premium, and many others.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Geeks mania has a lot of pins but not a huge selection of newer sterns. We are kind of in the same boat as you, there are so many newer sterns I want to play with my kids but I don't want to take them into a bar to do it. I still haven't played twd premium, acdc premium, tron, MET premium, and many others.

Schwoeglers is just a bowling alley. The majority of the games there are out on the concourse and no need to even step foot in the bar area to play the new stuff. Only place in the state to play both the newest Sterns and JJP titles.

Aside from that AltBrew is a tap room and the game area is not very barlike outside of evening hours on a weekend.

If you want to avoid booze completely then Geeks is by far the best option for alcohol free and lots of pinball (granted last time I was in they only had a few of the newer games to play) I think they still offer free entry on Bdays so it would be a cheap option for a full day of vid and pins.

#5 4 years ago

Headquarters is a nice location downtown, good food and the pins were always in good condition, plus most of them are free to play! I immediately thought of Logan's, didn't realize it was 21+.
    http://www.hqrivernorth.com/pinball

#6 4 years ago

My vote would be Schwoegler's - very family friendly, and a great collection of pins.

#7 4 years ago

Right now we are leaning at Geeks Mania / Schwoeglers. We usually get there about once a month as it is, so I was hoping for something a little different. We LOVE those two places. Madison has a GREAT collection of pinballs and at family friendly places also!!!!

I will look at those other places when I get home from work. I'd love a trip to McLean, but for whatever reason, we said newer Sterns.

#8 4 years ago

It looks like "The Old School Arcade" has opened one in Wisconsin. About 4 hours away though

OLD SCHOOL PINBALL AND ARCADE HAS MOVED INTO “THE DISTRICT” IN EAU CLAIRE, WI

Old School has opened it’s new location and the first outside of Iowa. Check them out by clicking the above link that says Eau Claire, WI Arcade.

#9 4 years ago

I checked out the ones in Iowa.... Looks like about a 6 hour drive, so too far... for now

The Headquarters place is +21

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deaconblooze:

My vote would be Schwoegler's - very family friendly, and a great collection of pins.

thanks Dave!

#11 4 years ago

Considering Schwoegler's and Geeks Mania are so close together you could really make a day of both, especially if he can get in free for his Bday

1 week later
    #12 4 years ago

Ok..... Birthday was a success..... Did Galloping Ghost for about 6.5 hours on Sunday.
    Did Schwoegler's and Geeks Mania.... And all I have to say is..... I'M AN OLD MAN. That's
    alot of time on my legs and I felt it.

Galloping Ghost - Was fantastic.... Not very busy at all. So many games you don't see anywhere else. Love that place for Video games.

Schwoegler's - Always a GREAT time. Games work like they are brand new. Very clean. Little disappointed that Star Wars was at a place that was closed, but I get why. These guys always have the newest games and take great pride in them. We love it there.

Geek's Mania - Don't really care for the video game selection - but they have a great selection of pinball... in great shape. Can't beat the $30 for a family of four. Plus different versions of Skee Ball, air hockey.... dance dance games.

Then to Rossi's for a little Metallica and Kiss. My son would die if I could get a Metallica..... Maybe one day I will trade/sell the Mustang for one

Thanks for all the suggestions. Good gaming for all!

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from 67cutlass:

Schwoegler's - Always a GREAT time. Games work like they are brand new. Very clean. Little disappointed that Star Wars was at a place that was closed, but I get why. These guys always have the newest games and take great pride in them. We love it there.

thanks for the kind words and for stopping in! Really appreciate it and glad you all had a good time. We often shift games around so maybe on your next visit SW will be available

#14 4 years ago

Sweet.....great you and the Fam had a good time....... ...............Joey

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside