(Topic ID: 15358)

Sonic/Sega SA EM pinballs - any owners? opinions?

By Melbourne

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by wbradley
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sonrun.gif
TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#2 12 years ago

I have a Mars Trek. Love the gameplay, smooth and fast, feels solid. The pf looks new (they used a great clearcoat!) as does the backglass (not just painted on the back). I've had mine for about 6 months, not a problem yet. They are well-built, and use WMS components. There may be more Sonics/Segasas in my future...

#3 12 years ago

I can't read the words "Sonic" and "Sega" without instantly hearing the theme song from the video game.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from Melbourne:

And I know Sega SA was known to have very nice durable play fields. Anything I should look out for or opinions?

I have a Segasa Cannes and I would have to support your theory that their pf were very durable and the bg seems to hold up better than most. You can go back to a thread I started, without much feedback unfortunately, about the quality and longevity of these Pins. I did have to replace a lot of bulb sockets and extensive cleaning but that is half the fun right?!
The positive thing about EM pins is they are built like tanks and once you dial the things in you have little to no problems.

Quoted from StevenP:

They are well-built, and use WMS components.

This is the other nice part of being worried about buying a Pin made in Spain over twenty years ago, the parts are interchangeable with Williams parts. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

#5 12 years ago

I'm not too sure if I played this game or not?
however I own a Playmatic and am very happy with the PF / BG

#6 11 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look at it this weekend, looks like a fun game. Will post up pics if I buy it.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Melbourne:

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look at it this weekend, looks like a fun game. Will post up pics if I buy it.

If you don't buy it, I'd be tempted. But I have no room. I played it at PAPA and liked it. Good old-school addition to any pin collection! (Every collection should have at least one EM imo.)

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Chudmeat:

I can't read the words "Sonic" and "Sega" without instantly hearing the theme song from the video game.

sonrun.gifsonrun.gif

#9 11 years ago

I looked at the machine over the weekend, I decided to pass on it. It will be at Allentown in case anyone else is interested, at Jack Jame's indoor booth. The seller is a stand up guy, bought 10 sheets of PF glass from him also. Here is what I found.

Pros:

1 - Very good condition PF has some mylar that needs to be removed / cleaned up around pop-bumpers.
2 - Very fast play, all original paperwork, keys, mech.
3 - Original PF glass in good shape, BG is excellent.
4 - Mostly plays 100 % (I ran through a series of 1-2-3-4 player games, and manually actuated games also - only 1 game had an issue with scoring).
5 - Recently rerubbered (looks like past 2-3 years), rubbers still good IMO.
6 - No bad light sockets that I saw, no cracked plastics.
7 - Clean interior and head

Cons:
1 - Cabinet has some dings/gouges that need to be repaired (minor work).
2 - I had one game where something wonky happened with the 3rd player score reel, I'm guessing the reels will need to be adjusted/cleaned.
3 - The previously mentioned mylar/glue clean-up around the pop bumpers.

#10 11 years ago

Price? Contact info? Might do an Allentown pickup...

#11 11 years ago

Jack James is the seller, he is the same guy who does the playfield glass @ Allentown. His asking price is $450. If you are looking to buy glass buy it Fri or early Saturday, he'll probably sell out. I think he had about 120 sheets left. Price on glass is $25 a sheet, tempered, small logo, smoothed edges.

He had a nice RFM for $2200 also, it will be at Allentown as well.

#12 11 years ago

Jack is a great seller. Got some parts from him recently.
I had a Mars Trek. Pretty much the nicest EM p/f you will ever find. Diamondcoat from 1977!
The cabinets weren't as well made as US stuff though. Chip board was very heavy and moisture sensitive. Tends to drop "chips" in transport.
Basically it's a Williams game with a much better playfield and 6 digit scoring.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonicsega-sa-em-pinballs-any-owners-opinions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.