PXL_20220429_145123322 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220429_145333624 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220415_185521525 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220409_162948018 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220409_230452143 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220411_155848571 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220410_024308459 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider McSquid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

492 posts in this topic match your search for posts by McSquid. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Maybe_Im_done_with_the_thiccer_outline_2 (resized).pngMaybe_Im_done_with_the_thiccer_outline_2 (resized).png
Live streams: https://www.twitch.tv/ryan_mcsquid

TLDR: I'm building a Sonic the Hedgehog Pinball machine. Why on earth did SEGA not make one? Follow my build here!

7733987bb88237fb4a48cfc17cf8b32e700e1cfd (resized).jpg7733987bb88237fb4a48cfc17cf8b32e700e1cfd (resized).jpg
79e2de85fb3eee4ee837b6f24ede115e44062c6c (resized).jpg79e2de85fb3eee4ee837b6f24ede115e44062c6c (resized).jpg

If you are new to the project I highly recommend checking out the Pinball Expo 2020 showcase and rules tutorial videos for an excellent primer on where the project is more recently:

Video playlist of all development videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLS1SajQHlXu4JjuCuWDFJREvn_rszxiX-

FAQs------------------------------------------------
Q- Is the artwork final? Will you be doing a full art package?
A- No! The artwork is concept art designed in the same style as original Sonic concept art. Artwork is being done in "scenes" that will be tie together with a background when they are completed. This is in line with many 90s games. Each scene is a placeholder that will eventually be replaced with full color HD art depicting the same subject/idea. Some of the concept art is colored where color is informationally important.

Q- Why not use colored balls? A blue ball would be awesome!
A- Yes it would be awesome! Unfortunately there is no good source of durable and functional colored pinballs. The colored pinballs that are available are not durable enough to be used in normal gameplay. Reports vary, but generally they are only expected to last 100 games. For comparison, during the on-location play testing Sonic received 92 games in a single day. These colored balls are also too expensive to be considered as a disposable option. There are some options and science experiments I will be attempting but I am not holding my breathe.

Q- Will sonic be at X Show/Convention?
A- While I hope to be able to attend as many shows as possible, a number of limiting factors are currently in place. Covid, limited vacation time, and my current vehicle being too small to transport a pin are all making touring all over the country difficult. Currently Sonic is planned to be attending both Chicago Pinball Expo in October, and Pintastic in November. I will update this if new shows are added.

Q- Can I buy one? Where do I pre-order?
A- Love your enthusiasm <3 but I will not be making any additional units beyond my own personal machine unless the game is produced by an established pinball manufacturer and properly licensed by SEGA. I am open and eager to make this happen, so if you have pinball industry contacts make sure you put in a good word for me

Q- Is this the final playfield?
A- No this is not the final playfield. While version 2 addresses many of the issues with the original prototype, has many improvements, tweaks, and additions that make it a much better game, It will still not be perfect. More tweaks and adjustments will be required. The art package will be finished as well. If you see a full art package its probably the final playfield

Q- How far along/close to done are you?
A- I am currently finishing up building version 2 of the game. As mentioned before this will not be the final version, but represents a significant step forward in the process. The game is fully playable (when assembled) and all main features are complete. The code base is nearly basic feature complete, but more modes and extras are planned. Id call the code 0.8 if I had to give it a number referencing proximity to 1.0. The project is VERY mature for its age however.
---------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,
Since finishing up my dream restoration (Twilight Zone which I documented here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-restoration-2) I've decided to move on to another dream project which will be my most ambitious to date: design and build my own pinball machine.
I have been lamenting for years that SEGA never made a Sonic the Hedgehog pinball machine. Despite having pinball as a recurring theme in the main games, making a pinball video game, a coin roller, a basketball game, SEGA itself manufacturing pinball machines, placing him in the DMD shows of several SEGA pins as well as their manuals, despite SEGA allegedly doing what nintendon't and the fact that his 90s rival Mario starred in TWO pins... no Sonic. I have been a huge fan of Sonic since I was a kid. I was forged in the console wars of the 90s, and I LOVED to go FAST.

While learning to restore pins, and during my multiple projects over the last few years, the idea of making my own game was always in the back of my mind, and the theme seemed obvious. I told anyone that would listen that I would do it "someday", and would even list off the features I planned. Then one day I decided to start writing my ideas down and see where the design evolved (and so i wouldn't forget them) On a whim one weekend, I designed an 80s SS style game called "Cosmic Lady" in order to teach myself to design using the excellent free Visual Pinball digital platform. The goal of the CL project was to eventually use the new skills to someday make a digital prototype of my dream Sonic game. It was perfect. No need to buy anything at all! infinite hypothetical parts, and I could try my creations and decide when I had something worth building.

After a year of planning during long car rides and excited hypothetical conversations with friends about features and how I would design it, I decided to get started. It only took a few weeks to finish the digital prototype. I had about 1/2 of the playfield planned out, and a few more ideas to fit wherever I could. The design came together very smoothly. Unfortunately, once it was done I didn't think it was very fun. It was missing something. Then a friend of mine made a recommendation: "you need another ramp, there is no way to feed your left flipper." I looked at my design, and immediately knew exactly where it would go. After adding that ramp I swear I played my rule-less digital prototype for 2-3 hours. It was suddenly REALLY fun to shoot even with no scoring to shoot for. That's when I knew I had something worth building, and the rest of this project started soon after.
Proto1 (resized).pngProto1 (resized).pngProto1 and half (resized).pngProto1 and half (resized).pngProto3 (resized).pngProto3 (resized).pngMPF Bridge (resized).pngMPF Bridge (resized).png

At this point I had the party for my Twilight Zone restoration coming up, and I decided to code some rules for my digital prototype in visual pinball. I got started quickly since I was able to copy code from my previous project. I knew that these rules should only be basic, as they would be later thrown out in favor of coding on a real platform, but I wanted to demo to people how the basic game would be played to get them excited and get valuable feedback. I ended up with around 700 lines of code (450 or so copy pasted from previous project) and a mostly playable demo. It was FUN. I loaded it onto my digital pinball coffee table (previous project) and everyone at the party enjoyed it. It was at this party that Mark the creator of Metroid pinball brought me a bunch of parts from his donor game and a surprise playfield plywood to get me started. If you haven't seen his game you are seriously missing out: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metroid-pinball

Since then, I've been slowly collecting parts, and started re-coding the game using the Mission Pinball Framework. One of their users created a bridge between MPF and Visual pinball so I am able to start writing real code using my digital prototype before I even start building. I'm a few weeks in, and have a basic game running, one major game mechanic completed, and just finished my first game-play mode tonight. I also picked up my donor cabinet today which is why I decided I finally have enough substance to this project that its worth starting a thread. I'll write a post detailing the code I have done so far soon. In the meantime, here is the donor cab: a really rough looking but surprisingly solid Space Shuttle cabinet (Which did not end up being used).

FJIMG_20191215_174535 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20191215_174535 (resized).jpg
7733987bb88237fb4a48cfc17cf8b32e700e1cfd (resized).jpg7733987bb88237fb4a48cfc17cf8b32e700e1cfd (resized).jpg
79e2de85fb3eee4ee837b6f24ede115e44062c6c (resized).jpg79e2de85fb3eee4ee837b6f24ede115e44062c6c (resized).jpg

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Awesome idea for a homebrew! Never understood why the "Sega mascot" didn't get a Sega pin, especially with Spinball being a really fun Genesis game and the theme overall lending itself very well to pinball.
That mystery scoop should have the little computer monitor over it with a micro LCD inside and either give you 10 rings, invincibility (unlimited ball save), fast shoes (scoring), Tails (2-ball MB), or spikey ball (loss of rings). I assume 100 rings gets you Extra Ball?
And I don't know how it could happen, but with what looks like a spinner in the right ramp, if it could be a horizontal spinner that flipped images between Sonic and Robotnic, but always landed on Sonic (emulating the end of a level) that would be bad ass.

Everything you wrote here is already a planned feature. Great minds huh? I already bought the mini LCD

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Needs a looping!

We have 2 "loop" shots. The upper left flipper around the left orbit like The Getaway/Dr who, and the ACTUAL loop ramp which is on the left behind the stand ups. You shoot into the lower left most shot, and a mech like the catapult in MM kicks the ball around the loop ramp. I didn't think shooting a loop directly would work well (like gold wings) so I decided that in order to make it work the way I wanted, I needed to use a kicker coil so I could aim the shot and control the power to get it around the loop every time. If the loop shot fails, there is a one way gate system to put the ball back on the playfield, and a switch to tell the game it failed. If it succeeds, it goes around the left orbit shot and hits both spinners on the way

#13 4 years ago

So I suppose its a good idea to list out the planned features of the game, and specify the placeholders that are in the digital prototype. Ive already gotten several suggestions for features that are already planned (but how would you know if i haven't told you yet!?)

Here is a video of the visual pinball demo code in action. It showcases the basic flow of the main gameplay loop. Only a single mode was programmed for the demo, (hit all lit shots) but the boss is also functional.

Placeholders:
-Spinner on right ramp is a placeholder for a horizontal spinner in the same location
-3 drop target bank in the center is a placeholder for the "door" a bank of 3 stand up targets that goes up and down (AFM, BK2K)

Planned features / toys:
- Horizontal signpost spinner on right ramp
- Dr Robotnick in the center. Same mech as Saucer from AFM
- TV monitor near the right scoop with mini LCD that displays various power up icons. Technology may limit this to a slide show, but we will see what can be done with it.
- "loop" shot on the left side of the playfield. Entry works like the catapult from MM, Kicker will kick ball around large loop ramp.

Main game play loop:
- The goal of the game is collect the 7 chaos emeralds. Emeralds function similar to cities in AFM. The difference is, you need to beat a Zone in order to fight the boss to collect the emerald.

- Each Zone consists of two similar Acts. Finish act 1 and hit the signpost (horizontal spinner on the right ramp) to advance to act 2. finish act 2 and hit the center to open the door to the boss Dr. Robotnick. Robotnick functions like the saucer in AFM with some planned twists in later stages. The player is always in a Zone/Act/Boss. The next mode automatically begins when the previous is completed.

- Speed system: All mode scoring AND mode PROGRESS is multiplied by Sonic's current speed. Speed is built by hitting the spinners, and decays over time. Modes are not completed by hitting X number of shots, but by gaining X number of progress points, which are multiplied by speed. If Sonic is going fast, its possible to finish modes in 3-5 shots. If sonic is going slow, it may take over 10 shots to finish.

Extra features:
- Rings: Rings will function somewhat like Diamonds in Congo. They will be collected when shots with the ring lights are lit. Rings may re-lite each mode, or be infinitely lit in others. Rings will provide end of level (not ball) bonus, and lit other features in game. Rings are lost when a ball drains.

- Elemental shields will be collectable at the scoop. Water, Fire, and Lightning shields will each have their own unique properties and abilities.

- in addition to the 7 zones and their acts, 3 Special stages will be playable: Pipe run, Slot machine, and Blue Sphere stages. Wizard mode will be a secret, but should be obvious.
Choose your "game" - at the beginning of the game the player will be given a choice of which classic Sonic title they would like to play. (1,2,3, &K, 3DB, or M) this will change all of the games level titles, backgrounds, and music to match the selected game. If you beat the game, you will be able to choose another before continuing on.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from etlandfill:

Looks cool, I'm looking forward to following your progress!
Just curious how you plan to deal with the extra height of a modern playfield in an older cabinet. Space shuttle has a little bit of extra room towards the back of the pf, but you'd run into issues in the lower part if I'm not mistaken. I'm working on a home brew and can't come up with a solution I like to add that extra height to my street-level donor cab.

Ive been discussing this with my cabinet guy (im outsourcing the cab work) If he can build one from scratch im sure we can modify. I figure worst case scenario I install a modern playfield mounting solution, and get extra tall back legs / levelers to get the lost angle back. Or ill go back to the drawing board and find another cabinet. I was lucky enough to get this one for free so no sunk cost limitations.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Oh my,
only yet I've watched the Video and whikle I meant and hoped for a 'vertical' Loop, the game -as is whitewood VPinnish- allready does the license justice.
Collecting Emeralds as you Progress is a great idea (in wizard mode they all should turn yellow for Super Sonic), that you can kinda Progress the stages and the music changes, the fast loop, that "Spin Dash" Shot.
It somehow'd need a Robotnik toy or at least a droptarget? (If that's allready in there I'm sorry my smartphone display is tiny.)
So: I'm very impressed!
What I maybe would change is put the chaos emerald inserts down for better viewability... depends of course for what you planned for that area.

In addition to the "looping" shot, There is indeed a "vertical loop" ramp on the left side of the playfield behind the stand ups. its tough to see on the visual pin but its there and will be there in real life. You don't shoot it directly. it works like the catapult from MM. a kicker kicks it around the vertical loop.

watch the video at 0:26

#26 4 years ago

Yeah it doesnt work too well in visual pinball so I had to crank the kicker power and the result is you cant really see the ball go around the loop. It will look/work much better in real life I hope.

1 week later
#27 4 years ago

Big update.

I spent a good portion of the holidays knocking out some of the more difficult code foundations. Going to focus on physical build for a while now. I realize I never updated this thread with any of my previous code versions. This will catch you up as to where Im at:

Previously:
- Basic game. Flips. tracks 3 balls. game over. repeat.
- basic attract mode
- 2 zones with 2 acts each completed
- boss mode completed
- speed system complete including scoring and progress multipliers
- basic display with a few animations: sonic running animation changes with "speed"

New in this version:

-Stage select is complete.
-Main gameplay loop is complete minus shows (Act1 >Sign> Act2> Boss> Repeat) Sign is going to be absorbed by Act1, First shot of boss (door) is going to be absorbed by Act2
-Multiplayer implemented with only a few minor bugs
-New display layout
-New playfield inserts/insert layout
-Music (buggy) added, a few sound effects
-a few new attract light shows

Gameplay Video:

New insert layout:
Proto4 (resized).pngProto4 (resized).png

In addition, I spent this evening stripping the cabinet for pickup by my cabinet restoration guy.

My entire Christmas list was parts for this project. I have a massive shipment coming in tomorrow. I'll post another update then!
FJIMG_20200101_173955 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_173955 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_191058 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_191058 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_194225 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_194225 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_195455 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_195455 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_202735 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_202735 (resized).jpg

#29 4 years ago

Merry Christmas to me

No going back now.

3x flippers
Pop bumper
Autoplunger
15x stand up targets
2x slings
Appearing post
Lane guides
15x rollover switches
15x star posts
Kickback assembly (for loop)
Strongest general use could I could find (A-22-550) for loop
Punch arm (for saucer/robotnick)
Shooter rod parts
Trough coil bracket
Silicon rubber kit
FJIMG_20200102_124804 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200102_124804 (resized).jpg

#30 4 years ago

Attempting to learn some Fusion360 so I can get my first whitewood playfield cut. Just ordered inserts.

I was provided with an excellent "lower third" file to start with so I know all the typical bottom measurements will be correct. I layered my VPX blueprint over it to add the inserts. This is basically the same approach I was going to do in real life (print up the blueprint and stick it on the wood) so this might actually save me some time if I cut out more with the CNC using this method. even though things don't line up perfectly, they are pretty close, and will probably produce results as accurate as me measuring and cutting things on my own. Then the next time I want to make a playfield I can just adjust everything in a relative way. (move that post 1/4 inch from where it is now, as oppose to, post is 13 inches from the edge instead of 12 3/4)

I've had some people offer to help me with coding already, but if anyone is particularly skilled in fusion 360 or CNC routing wants to hop on board with this project, I will welcome the assistance.

fusion360forcnc (resized).pngfusion360forcnc (resized).png
#34 4 years ago
Quoted from matthies:

Looks awesome! Great idea developing first on MPF and VPX! I heard the two could link up, but never thought of trying it.
You've probably already considered this, but it might look good having the background scroll in a loop in the opposite direction of Sonic. In my last homebrew, I created a seamless background looping gif and used it to make it appear as if a spaceship in the center of the DMD was flying through space. You can control the speed of the scrolling in MPF with the fps setting to match the current speed of Sonic.
You could even create two or more separate layers for your background (eg: one for the ground, one for the mountains and one for the sky) and run the layers at slightly different speeds to create a parallax effect.

I have considered the background. Scrolling It's been put on the back burner but I hope to implement something like it in the final product. Sonic is also going to run from the left to the right side of the screen as a mode progress bar, but I'm having issues with animations and switching images for run speed. So that feature is commented out for now.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I love that it has multiple spinners.
Seems really fitting for the theme and spinners rule.

I put the second spinner in as an experiment and really liked it with the 2 spinners on a single shot. make it a looping shot and I fell in love.

Spinners are awesome and I feel they aren't made important enough on modern games. Tying the spinners to the central multiplier mechanic makes them pretty damn important

#36 4 years ago

Bye Space Shuttle,
When you return no one will even recognize you.

FJIMG_20200107_113704 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200107_113704 (resized).jpg
#38 4 years ago
Quoted from PinTweeter:

There's some Sega flippers that have Sonic's face on them, will you be using some of those or just other flippers? Just kinda curious! Not sure how common they are, I've just seen them put in random other machines sometimes.

I did get some of those flipper bats from pinball life yes

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

I can't wait to play your VPX table

I'll release the VPX demo when the whitewood debuts. Hopefully at Pintastic in June

#41 4 years ago

Getting a little better with fusion 360. I added the circle inserts, switch holes, and some GI holes where they seemed to fit. I still need to get the triangle and rectangle inserts in there, and measure the playfields in my basement for some switch holes. Definitely gonna cut one/two out of cheapo plywood to test fit things before the real thing. but I might get to start building soon.

FB_IMG_1578546051493 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1578546051493 (resized).jpg
#43 4 years ago

I might be ready to get my first playfield cut. I probably made mistakes so we will ruin some cheap plywood first. I decided that no matter how good I am at printing up the blueprints, it probably wouldn't be as good as overylaying the image in CAD. So Instead of just doing the lower 3rd and inserts I did all the other major holes. I'll probably change my mind again and add post holes and skip the blueprint overlay step all together.

fusion360forcnc3 (resized).pngfusion360forcnc3 (resized).png
#44 4 years ago

First draft PF ready for cutting.

fusion360forcnc4 (resized).pngfusion360forcnc4 (resized).png
1 week later
#46 4 years ago

currently waiting on CNC test piece. So working on other stuff in the meantime.

Robonick center bash toy.

Original model by WinderBlitz.

now in .STL and ready to be 3d printed after mounting geometry is added.
robotnick mesh2 (resized).pngrobotnick mesh2 (resized).pngrobotnick mesh (resized).pngrobotnick mesh (resized).png

1 week later
#47 4 years ago

Test cnc piece is on the way! we shall see what fits tomorrow

84533146_733756949023_6594370603048763392_o (resized).jpg84533146_733756949023_6594370603048763392_o (resized).jpg
#48 4 years ago

CNC test was a huge success. Only a few minor issues that are easily fixed. Doing one more test piece, then we will be ready to cut the whole PF

FJIMG_20200206_145933 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200206_145933 (resized).jpg
#50 4 years ago
Quoted from king_pin:

Looking great so far! Pretty easy to work mpf with vpx?

Once you get it up and running yes its pretty easy to use. I'm going to attempt to improve the existing documentation and examples to help others have an easier time setting it up in the future.

#53 4 years ago

Yup this is it. Placeholder for the emerald shaped ones on the final product. Gonna have to make those myself. Pretend its a top down view til then

#54 4 years ago

working on clipping some LCD animations. I'm happy with the way this logo came out.

#58 4 years ago

Code update 6:

New in this version:
Code:
- Ball save (Initial and lane)
- End of ball bonus
- Top rollovers and bonus multipliers
- Laps/charge (spindash combo to come)
- Rings (Collecting. Bonus unfinished)
- More ring inserts (added to main shots)
- Boss music / sound effects

- Updated UI
- Lots of video clips

Design:

- New boss core design traps ball behind drop target
- New ramp angles make shots smoother

Starting to feel like a game

#60 4 years ago

Just received this preview from the cabinet artist. He did such a good job!

Highly recommend Gasan Design for cabinet work

https://www.facebook.com/GasanDesignArt/

87077814_233784407644988_7342890579908362240_n (resized).jpg87077814_233784407644988_7342890579908362240_n (resized).jpg
#62 4 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

Loving that genesis grid

I'm glad to know someone else likes the grid. Its straight off the spinball box, and I feel cabs from the late 80s - early 90s tended to just be a big logo with a simple BG. I felt like I might be being lazy, but now that I look at it I know I made the right call

#64 4 years ago

Ive had a change of plans in cabinet for the project. I picked up a brand new System 11 cab on facebook marketplace yesterday having it shipped from IN. discussed it with Leslie first and he thought it was a better option than trying to make the space shuttle cab work. This solves the depth problem so we can have the big vertical loop and Id imagine it means I'll get it sooner. It was originally built as a replacement for an Earthshaker. Its amusing to me that its already Sonic blue, but we will be making it genesis cartridge black...

87453334_2872069362887492_244151921361813504_n (resized).jpg87453334_2872069362887492_244151921361813504_n (resized).jpg88011728_2872069419554153_3785220463978872832_n (resized).jpg88011728_2872069419554153_3785220463978872832_n (resized).jpg87984449_2872069482887480_4398852148184481792_n (resized).jpg87984449_2872069482887480_4398852148184481792_n (resized).jpg87384732_2872069519554143_1144917949014867968_n (resized).jpg87384732_2872069519554143_1144917949014867968_n (resized).jpg87576459_2872069392887489_6187960207428026368_n (resized).jpg87576459_2872069392887489_6187960207428026368_n (resized).jpg87445923_2872069576220804_1979440621592510464_n (resized).jpg87445923_2872069576220804_1979440621592510464_n (resized).jpg
#65 4 years ago

Test PF cut! This will allow us to test the fit and locations of the various mechs before cutting the final whitewood out of the fancy wood. Then later it can be used as a test/scrap playfield for all kinds of science. I won't be able to do more with this until after I get back from my trip to the North American Pinball Championships but I'm excited anyways

IMG_20200228_164138 (resized).jpgIMG_20200228_164138 (resized).jpg
#68 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

Looks great! Will you release the VPX as well?

I will be releasing the VPX demo that I put in one of the earlier posts when the game debuts. Hopefully this summer at Pintastic new england

1 week later
#71 4 years ago

Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball: Code Update 7

New in this update:

- Attract slide show
- High Scores
- Skill/Super Skill shots
- End of Act/Zone Bonus shows
- Boss animations
- Hold start to cancel a game (not shown)
+ a secret feature implied but not shown

I call this update show-ready. I will still hopefully polish a few things and add some more before the whitewood debut, but everything on the "need" list is complete. The rest are all on the "nice to have" list.

I'm going to visit the CNC shop tomorrow, so code is gonna get shelved for physical building very soon I hope.

#73 4 years ago

Test fitting the playfield mechs on the scrap PF. Final whitewood CAD file submitted for cutting. Should have the whitewood PF within the week.

89740451_525292458126718_7921981647493267456_n (resized).jpg89740451_525292458126718_7921981647493267456_n (resized).jpg
1 week later
#74 4 years ago

Playfield has arrived! Inserts will now be installed, it will be sanded, and then cleared.

90023558_737965110833_8640394148421042176_o (resized).jpg90023558_737965110833_8640394148421042176_o (resized).jpg90132190_737965190673_1322277901948682240_o (resized).jpg90132190_737965190673_1322277901948682240_o (resized).jpg90170076_737965150753_2761867037381754880_o (resized).jpg90170076_737965150753_2761867037381754880_o (resized).jpg
#75 4 years ago

Inserts installed, Sanded flat, and the initial clearcoat layed down. Yesterday was the only day for the foreseeable future with weather suitable for clearcoating so I rushed to get it ready so I wouldnt be stuck with nothing to work on for a week or more. I will be sanding it flat tomorrow, then doing insert decals. next time the weather goes above 55 degrees it will get the final clearcoat. In the meantime im sure there is plenty of work I can accomplish.

FJIMG_20200319_235550 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200319_235550 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_010045 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_010045 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_010111 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_010111 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_010116 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_010116 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_010121 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_010121 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_130219 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_130219 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_131855 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_131855 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_132134 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_132134 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_132530 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_132530 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_212505 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200320_212505 (resized).jpg
#76 4 years ago

I made my development cabinet today since the clear needs another day before sanding. It attaches to my playfield rotisserie, and will allow the game to be spun 360 degrees for easy access to all areas while in development and play testing. I'm gonna mount the LCD and some speakers behind it. Probably attached to the ceiling.

FJIMG_20200322_004534 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200322_004534 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200322_004541 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200322_004541 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200322_004546 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200322_004546 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200322_004551 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200322_004551 (resized).jpg
#78 4 years ago

Concept / Whitewood art is complete. I sanded the first layer of clear so its ready for decals

Finished art preview smaller (resized).pngFinished art preview smaller (resized).pngart vpx (resized).pngart vpx (resized).png
#81 4 years ago

Concept art applied to Whitewood, clearcoating completed.

FJIMG_20200323_184215 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200323_184215 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200323_210751 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200323_210751 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200327_163131 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200327_163131 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200327_163149 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200327_163149 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200327_163153 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200327_163153 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200327_163203 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200327_163203 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200328_133549 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200328_133549 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200328_133552 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200328_133552 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200328_135803 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200328_135803 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200328_192217 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200328_192217 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200328_192227 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200328_192227 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200328_192234 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200328_192234 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200328_192238 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200328_192238 (resized).jpg
#85 4 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

Looks great, but I see a possible problem with your left loop. Yes the kicker is there, but as play happens the kicker will get weak. It could be just weak enough to bring the ball to the top of the loop and drop it straight down to the bottom. If that happens (and it's pinball so it WILL find a way, even if it jumps over a target into that area) it will be stuck between the exit of the loop and the upper gate.

I have indeed thought of this, there will be a LOT of testing on the loop design to mitigate and prevent this. I do have the loop fail escape lane if it doesn't make it around the loop, It will likely be at least part wireform to prevent dropping straight down as you have observed. I'm more worried about balls that barely make the loop and potentially get stuck on the loop exit.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

You mean stuck on/under the gate armature? that's n easy fix imo.
You have a lot of space to the left of the gate. drill a small hole, add a spring, and make it a controlled gate. If the ball gets stuck, then during a ball search you can pop open the gate so the ball dribbles down into your loop fail-safe area.
OR
make the loop exit point higher (.75" higher) and have no ramp at all. Similar to those plunger lane half ramps you see on a lot of stern games. Adjusting the loop to not be a perfect circle could also boost some power via centrifugal force if done right I think... don't quite me on that though.

not sure if i follow on the first suggestion, but the second is one of the first things I will be trying. This would also make the looping shot much smoother

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from Linolium:

Notice the exit of the loop is always going down-hill up the table! that way the ball can "never" get stuck as long as the table angle is correct. And, no the loop positioning isn't correct, this is a rough mockup to give you a visual of my thoughts.
Also: My loop not being drawn round is not an error. Round loops == bad & bumpy motion. Ellipsoid loops == smooth motion. I recommend watching and reading about rollercoaster loop design. The principles would be the same here.
[quoted image]

This is the solution I was going to attempt first. Thanks for the tip on roller coaster loops. I will indeed look that up.

#91 4 years ago

Final sand/polish complete. Assembly begins soon. I streamed this entire process. Twitch.tv/thecephalopod

FJIMG_20200331_184929 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200331_184929 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200331_184945 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200331_184945 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200331_184958 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200331_184958 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200331_185021 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200331_185021 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200331_185037 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200331_185037 (resized).jpg
#92 4 years ago

Lower third mostly complete

FJIMG_20200401_224245 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200401_224245 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200401_224257 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200401_224257 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200401_224314 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200401_224314 (resized).jpg
#93 4 years ago

Completed the first of several mini wizard mode bonus stages in the game. Pipe Run from Sonic 2! Timed invincible multiball where the objective to collect enough rings before the timer runs out. Success adds a ball and continues on, failure ends the mode. In the main game, this mode will be played after 2 Chaos emeralds are collected.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

looking cool.
have you played with spinner graphics much? I'm thinking of the sides with different leg and arm positions of him running. could be cool.. maybe

You have come across another planned feature. I intend to see if i can get the spinner to look like his feet runnning, and add a small sprite cutout above it. This will further reinforce the spinners connection to building speed.

#98 4 years ago

Cool idea... I'll see what I can come up with. There had to be a way to make rings of light.

#99 4 years ago

Busy night.

To start with, I discovered that the CNC lower third I started with was designed for a game with shorter flippers. It's my fault for not checking. As a result I had to redesign the right side, and move the flipper and guides over. It's not perfect right now, as i judged moving the sling and switch holes would be too difficult. However all will be fixed in the next playfield iteration.

The "door" was difficult to install. I swear I gave it plenty of space, but apparently I forgot that a portion of the mounting bracket sticks into the hole. I was able to use my meter stick as a guide and a router bit in my Dremel to make a channel for it. Fits nicely now.

Next I solved a few "puzzles" where mechanisms are close together and need to all fit. The center area is by far the most tightly packed. The biggest mod required to make everything fit was to drill out the rivets of one of the big red targets so I could move the mounting bracket to the front.

The scoop is a problem. I have the raising post that stops the ball of the right ramp in conflict with typical scoop design. I'll have to get a vertical scoop. Good thing PBL has one.

Bent the orbit guides into the right shape. Wasn't too hard. Smaller guides are going to be tougher. I unfortunately used a lot of small guides. Won't do that in the future.

I also was able to cobble together the kicker for the loop. I'm really surprised I got it first try...

FJIMG_20200403_191254 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_191254 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_200952 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_200952 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_200934 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_200934 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_200942 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_200942 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_203502 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_203502 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_211109 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_211109 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_211235 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_211235 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_212006 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_212006 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_232611 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_232611 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_235208 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_235208 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_235212 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_235212 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_235225 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_235225 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_235232 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_235232 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_235238 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200403_235238 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_012718 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_012718 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_012730 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_012730 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_012737 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_012737 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_012852 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_012852 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_013926 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_013926 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_013936 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_013936 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_013945 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_013945 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_013957 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_013957 (resized).jpg
#100 4 years ago

Finished 3d printed prototype ramps, the upper pop section, and the orbit. Pic dump for now, more details to follow
FJIMG_20200404_194009 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_194009 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_194052 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200404_194052 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200405_230645 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200405_230645 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200406_101722 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200406_101722 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200406_113347 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200406_113347 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200406_223012 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200406_223012 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200406_223023 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200406_223023 (resized).jpg

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

What kind of 3D printer is that? How will you fuse the slides to make them larger?

Its a FolgerTech FT5-R2
not sure what you mean by fuse the slides?

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from Xantari:

In one of the pictures, the blue slide just ends. My guess is your printing more of the slide and will need to connect them... Just wondering how you do that.

OHHHH. No those blue ramps are the prototypes for the metal ramps. They will connect to wireform ramps like this one I just tested:

FJIMG_20200413_210137 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200413_210137 (resized).jpg
#108 4 years ago

One down. More of a pain than I expected but it still worked out well.

FJIMG_20200415_231517 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200415_231517 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200415_231942 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200415_231942 (resized).jpg
#113 4 years ago
Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

How did you manage to bend those rails so perfectly when everybody else's custom rails, including my own, have exit ends that are in some way bent or misshapen?

uhhh I don't know? You aren't the first to ask me this. I bent them by hand. no jigs, except the loops at the end where I bent them around a wooden dowel. I admittedly have a fair bit of experience bending wire with two pairs of pliers but I'm not sure why my results are so much nicer.

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

McSquid Dude I've been following this for a while and it's totally sick.
That wire form got me thinking. What would you think about making gold rings around the wire form? Like you're going through them, or collecting them. I remember parts of the game(s) having to "go through" the rings. Would be a pretty sick way of doing it and add a lot to it imho.
Keep it up bro!

This was also brought up by someone else the other day. I think im sold on the rings for the ramps being gold. Not going to have switches though. Would look super ugly, and would make ramps overpowered since rings are part of the game rules.

#115 4 years ago

Both ramps are done and mounted. The left ramp had to be made in two parts bridged by a clip but its pretty sturdy anyways. I opted to make the ramp two parts and keep the end loops instead of making the 4 rails continuous. I may cut the side rails down to just curved areas for the final product, but I wanted 4 rails while using 3d printed clips for stability and to resist twisting. I'm currently printing a better joining clip for the spot the two parts of the left ramp combine (the seam is next to the right ramps entrance)

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Really loving this project and totally loving the minimalist approach to the artwork! Can't wait to see this completed through. If you're located in the Midwest, hopefully I'll get a chance to flip it one day.

This isn't the final artwork. Just the concept art. I figured a whitewood is the place to test things. Why not test the art as well.

#119 4 years ago

Wired up the power supplies and got power running to the main board last night. All voltages test stable and good. Next up, hook up a node board and try to get it flipping?

FJIMG_20200419_232746 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200419_232746 (resized).jpg
#121 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I discovered the same thing when I created a loop-da-loop
http://homebrewpinball.blogspot.com/2016/08/remember-that-loop-da-loop-ramp.html
Here's my upload:[quoted image]

That is awesome! What game did you use it for? Did it work well?

#123 3 years ago

Lots of progress.
-Scoop area done
-Left ramp stop designed and installed
-Loop kicker area mostly populated

FJIMG_20200418_204907 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200418_204907 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200418_204955 (2) (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200418_204955 (2) (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200418_205008 (2) (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200418_205008 (2) (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200418_205014 (2) (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200418_205014 (2) (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200422_194716 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200422_194716 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200422_211323 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200422_211323 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200425_005513 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200425_005513 (resized).jpg
#124 3 years ago

-Boss area mostly populated
-cabinet and high voltage wiring
-one way gates for loop installed and working

FJIMG_20200426_234423 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200426_234423 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200426_234444 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200426_234444 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200426_234453 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200426_234453 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200426_234521 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200426_234521 (resized).jpg
#125 3 years ago

I have decided to release the VPX demo for Sonic Spinball. I was originally going to delay doing so until the game could make its physical debut, but the world is a different place than it was when I made those plans. I hope this can entertain you for a little while.

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=14921

Edit: Google Drive alternate DL link
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pjgDd3it0UEbHRFXHQI3HJmsy_6h81FM
VPXDemo (resized).pngVPXDemo (resized).png

#127 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

thanks for making that available, it's a blast to play. Was getting music errors for some reason so I had to turn it off.

There is an instruction file in the download. It tells you where to place the music files in the music folder.

#128 3 years ago

Power terminal blocks added. The jumpers that were supposed to come with it didn't so I had to recreate them. I finished wiring up the cabinet switches, power, and coil control wires for the lower half. In theory the game is ready to flip. All it needs is dummy code.

FJIMG_20200427_225253 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200427_225253 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200427_225301 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200427_225301 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200427_225307 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200427_225307 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200427_225313 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200427_225313 (resized).jpg

#130 3 years ago

Milestone reached. It flips. Basking in the glory for a bit then time to wire up the rest of the coils, and switches.

Thought it was broken for a bit til I realized my EOS switches were in backwards (normally open instead of normally closed)

2 weeks later
#131 3 years ago

A lot has happened in the previous 2 weeks. Been dealing with some quarantine depression, got a new job, quit the old one, etc. I have been working on Sonic but Ive mostly been streaming the work instead of documenting it. I'll do my best to catch this thread up now.

Since we got the game flipping, several more things have been worked on. All switches have been wired up, this includes adding ramp switches. The door motor arrived, was modified to fit in that tight mess in that part of the PF, hooked up, and integrated into test code. I serviced the drop target unit, replaced the drop coil, installed the opto, and added it to test code. and I built a shitty protoype loop that actually worked! Other than iterating on the loop, I'm not making any significant progress on it right now. I'm waiting for prepinned wires to hook up lights, a spot welding unit, and a few other things to arrive. Here is a pic dump from the last few weeks. I'll try to do a better job documenting once things calm down.

95120064_10157146133265060_5639213680789815296_n (resized).jpg95120064_10157146133265060_5639213680789815296_n (resized).jpg95493036_745468419143_778762671246802944_o (resized).jpg95493036_745468419143_778762671246802944_o (resized).jpg96813307_746792176323_1395308933144379392_o (resized).jpg96813307_746792176323_1395308933144379392_o (resized).jpg97309817_746792146383_605981471278104576_o (resized).jpg97309817_746792146383_605981471278104576_o (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200505_220411 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200505_220411 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200505_222246 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200505_222246 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200505_232426 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200505_232426 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200505_232440 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200505_232440 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200505_232446 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200505_232446 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200511_200737 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200511_200737 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200511_200745 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200511_200745 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200511_201316 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200511_201316 (resized).jpg
#132 3 years ago

Spinners!

They work quite well aside from the occasional reject from hitting an edge when they are already spinning. I'll see what I can do to minimize that. I'm excited I got these figured out. I do need to print a new right ramp for everything to fit though.

FJIMG_20200514_011052 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200514_011052 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200514_011056 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200514_011056 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#134 3 years ago

Right ramp 2.0 - higher walls, taller, smoother curve, smoother slope.

Lamp wiring complete. Gotta hook up the fadecandy and get light it up!

FJIMG_20200520_225636 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200520_225636 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200521_110948 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200521_110948 (resized).jpg

FJIMG_20200521_110948 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200521_110948 (resized).jpg
#135 3 years ago

Got some major updates! The code has been ported to FAST and now we have a functional pinball machine! Here is some footage of some initial gameplay by my wife.

Also finished coding the concept version of the Elemental shield ball savers and Mania Multiball (though no jackpots yet)

No loop yet, but I tried my welder out tonight!

FJIMG_20200529_202158 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200529_202158 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#136 3 years ago

Loop prototype 1 complete. Gonna attach and test it tonight non stream

FJIMG_20200604_205013 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200604_205013 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200605_125331 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200605_125331 (resized).jpg
#137 3 years ago

Loop works! A lot of bending, cutting, breaking clips, swearing, and bleeding later it's all trimmed down and installed.

#144 3 years ago

Working on a feature that is totally not important... but I'm tired of listening to the same music. Game select implemented along with a bunch of level backgrounds. Doesn't actually change the assets yet, but the menu and assets are there. Working on custom code to handle choosing assets in a smart way.

spinball game select (resized).pngspinball game select (resized).pngsonic_1_11 (resized).pngsonic_1_11 (resized).pngsonic_1_12 (resized).pngsonic_1_12 (resized).pngsonic_1_61 (resized).pngsonic_1_61 (resized).pngsonic_1_62 (resized).pngsonic_1_62 (resized).pngsonic_sb_12 (resized).pngsonic_sb_12 (resized).pngsonic_sb_11 (resized).pngsonic_sb_11 (resized).pngsonic_sb_61 (resized).pngsonic_sb_61 (resized).pngsonic_sb_62 (resized).pngsonic_sb_62 (resized).png
#147 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Is there any plans for video modes using the bonus levels from the game? I'm guessing that would be quite a challenge

no video modes planned. Anything I could do could be experienced better by just playing the video games.

Bonus levels are mini wizard modes. Pipe run bonus multiball is already coded and implemented

#150 3 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I was a huge Sonic fan as a kid -- lost count of how many times I played through Sonic 3 / S&K (and enjoyed the idea of, but got quickly bored with, Sonic Spinball) ... so now that I have young kids of my own, I've turned them into Sonic fans also.
The other day, while working on one of our pins together, my 9-year-old daughter asked me, "Is there a Sonic pinball machine out there, and if not, WHY NOT?!" (It never made sense to me either why Sega never made one.) We chatted about fun ideas for what a Sonic pinball would look like -- including a vertical loop, a bash toy (like AfM) for Robotnik, colored balls for "characters" (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles) and a multiball mode with all three of them out there at once.
On a whim, I decided to search out here on Pinside today to see if there were any rumors / plans for a Sonic machine. And I found your thread.
I called my daughter in here and we walked through your development and videos together; WE ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS. We love that you had some of the same ideas we had, and we love your integration of even more of the original games' features -- the spin dash, the end of stage gate, the music from S3/S&K. She said "I totally want to buy this game" at least 20 times (and I had to explain that it likely wouldn't be for sale, nor could we afford it if it were, lol).
(Per my daughter's request: she would like you consider colored balls for each character, though you may be too far along and/or don't want to complicate it further. I don't know the mechanics of those games that utilize different balls, e.g., TZ, Avatar. In our fantasy version, the game can either sort the ball(s) and/or tell which ball is in play next and updates your on-screen character.)
We are SO following this thread and are looking forward to seeing further progression. VERY WELL DONE, we applaud your hard work. From these Sonic fans to you, thanks for bringing to life what we were only dreaming about!

Thank you for the kind words. I'm really glad you are enjoying the build. If you and your daughter have any other ideas let me know! it seems like you have good taste! To answer her question, I had considered different colored balls but unfortunately there isn't really a good source for colored pinballs other than the white powerball from TZ and avatar. You can get colored balls, but they are usually coated in plastic and don't last long enough to be a viable option. I heard rumors that Bally/Williams created a prototype blue powerball, but made less than a dozen of them before considering the experiment a failure, so HIGHLY unlikely I'd be able to find one. Instead of colored balls, I decided to make the 4 players represent each character, and have each of them be a lock for Mania Multiball (with Amy as the add-a-ball) I just realized I have not properly documented the progress on that, so I'll shoot a video update soon

I'm currently taking a short break as I got frustrated by coding errors. But once I'm done with some side projects I'll be back with some more development updates.

3 weeks later
#151 3 years ago

Water Zone and Game select:

New to the game are the game select and water zone

Game select has you choose a classic sonic game after pressing the start button. All level titles, backgrounds, and music are changed to match the game you chose. Play to your own personal nostalgia by choosing your favorite! Sonic 1, 3, and Spinball are the current options. 7+ games planned.

Water Zone is the third main mode of the game. The player must shoot the moving lit shots while also occasionally shooting the center bank to breathe an air bubble and avoid drowning! If you drown, the flippers will turn off and you will drain! Don't worry though, If you have a water shield you can breathe just fine underwater.

Likely a bug fixing sprint to come next. I love new modes and features but you can't let the bugs pile up too high or it ruins the experience.

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Bravo!! Well done on the addition of Hydrocity; very clever method for incorporating the drowning/breathing. Nicely done -- can't wait to show my daughter your latest update.
By the way, you'd asked if we had other suggestions -- she said the Mecha/Metal Sonic is a pretty common thread throughout the games/shows/comics/etc., so she suggested a metal-sonic multiball / battle or something like that. ...not to give you more work to do.....just an idea.
My only other thoughts were bringing in Flying Battery and/or Ice Cap zones, since they have the best music.

Please once again tell your daughter she has excellent ideas. The metal sonic battle is actually already a planned feature and integrated into the rules scope. It will be a "final battle" type mode before the Super Sonic wizard mode. When you get the 7th chaos emerald, Metal sonic shows up and steals it. You must then chase him down and defeat him to reclaim the emerald.

metal (resized).pngmetal (resized).png

Flying Battery and Ice cap are confirmed. Here is a list of the planned stages (with secrets censored )
levels (resized).pnglevels (resized).png

If you guys want to watch the build process at all, I stream live on twitch at: https://www.twitch.tv/thecephalopod (as a warning I sometimes swear while live-streaming, especially when dropping screws or when the software crashes. If you and your daughter watch, make sure you let me know so I can try to be good and properly appropriate)

#156 3 years ago

Small update today, While I'm chasing down some of the more advanced bugs I started coding some of the small features that I never got around to before and closing up some gaps in polish. Coding new features is my favorite part so keeping a few little shiny new things in the pipe helps my motivation. I am happy to say that the in game level timers + time bonus are now functional. It really feels like a Sonic game now with the score, timer, and rings all changing as you play. I also was finally able to get the level background to stick around for the signpost level end. Its a small thing, but the black screen reminded me constantly how unfinished everything is haha.

level timer (resized).pnglevel timer (resized).pngtime bonus (resized).pngtime bonus (resized).png
#161 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

What an awesome way to integrate the scoring! I don't think anything like this has been done before. Certainly beats waiting to trap the ball to check status reports.
Do you plan to reach out to Sega at some point to request licensing for some form of mass production? You really have something special here and the quality design/integration with Sonic Mania will catch their attention.

I do intend to make them aware of the project at some point. Right now I feel like I have a lot more work to do before id want to pitch anything like that. For now its staying a passion project. However I remain open to the discussion of the game being produced if any of the pin manufacturing companies wanted to work with me and possibly obtain the license.

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Have you considered adding optos in the wire form mounts and you could raise the collect rings total? Have you considered adding dr robotnik on a mech that swings out to the playfield that you bash. Basically like stern did with crane on batman the dark knight? Super nice job btw!

Dr. Robotnik will be a bash toy like the saucer from attack from mars. My robotnik model is on preorder, so when it shows up I will look into implementing it.

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Hey I got my daughter up to speed (pun intended), she's super excited as always. While showing her your level list, I noticed for S&K, you have Sandopolis and Flying Battery mixed up -- in the game, Flying Battery is stage two and Sandopolis is stage three. Also, for Sonic 3, Marble Garden is stage 3 and Carnival Night is stage 4. (Yes, we play S3/S&K too much.) lol)

Since my game does not have stage numbers (other than code references) and zones can be done in any order, I placed each zone where it made the most sense thematically rather than in chronological game order.

#165 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Since my game does not have stage numbers (other than references in code) and zones can be done in any order, I placed each zone where it made the most sense thematically rather than in chronological game order.

#166 3 years ago

The system 11 cabinet I bought ~2-3 months ago arrived today. COVID plays hell with shipping. Haven't done into it yet, trying to finish off my Bally Playboy commission first. But at least I can test fit a lot of the cabinet parts I scavenged.

I'm not exactly sure when it happened but this game got FUN. I was just play testing to see if I resolved a bug I introduced while squashing another bug, and next thing I knew I was super into the game. I ended up getting far enough to find a game looping bug. The bonus pipe multiball doesn't reset something so it can't be played a second time once you finish your 4th zone. The rest of the looping works though. Can't have bugs like this ruining epic games! I'm gonna keep working on bug fixes and fleshing out minor features before moving on. Coming up in dev soon will be mystery awards, loop awards, badnicks, and a few other things before we do the 4th main mode and second bonus stage. I think I'm also going to add S&K to the game select soon... Dying to hear some mushroom hill

FJIMG_20200715_180544 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200715_180544 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200715_233930 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200715_233930 (resized).jpg
#167 3 years ago

Here are the VODs from the stream last night in case anyone wants to see. Its mostly gameplay this time.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/682874667
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/682956010

#168 3 years ago

I made 2 more media packs today. Next time I'll stream it maybe so the process can be seen. This allowed me to test how truly "drop in" my framework allowed additional games to be. It took around 5 minutes to add both of these games to the code and they work perfectly. (the packs themselves were a little more work.) Who is ready for some Chemical Plant and some Mushroom Hill?

sonic 2 (resized).pngsonic 2 (resized).pngsonic k (resized).pngsonic k (resized).png

#169 3 years ago

New stream equipment and layout! New main mode! New Zones!

Couldn't sleep a few nights ago and was feeling ambitious. I knocked out the 4th main mode: Yellow emerald. Combo shots. Hit any of the shots that feed a flipper (all but center and scoop) to light combo shots coming off the next flipper. Shoot them to make mode progress, chain them to clear the zone quickly and maximize time bonus! A good set of zones comes with this one: Casino night x 2, Spring yard, Flying battery, and ugggh also Carnival night (yuck)

Stream now has direct video and sound from the game. Moved the mic and improved lighting. Also a new layout with widescreen (and 60FPS) secondary cam.

new stream (resized).pngnew stream (resized).png
#172 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Is there a stream of that we can play back? I only see the one from 4 days ago.

Not yet. This was just a test. Ill likely be streaming Friday. My internet is flakey and the repair guy is coming to fix it Friday morning.

#173 3 years ago

Here is the VOD for tonight's stream. My internet was a little flaky so there are separate links for the last ~45 minutes or so

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/691790847

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/691855835

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/691879448

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Woot! Just curious -- did they contact you first or did they just go and write this?

They just wrote it. I stumbled across it while googling to find this pinside thread on my phone (where it isn't bookmarked)

So far media attention has been a mix of talked to me first or didn't 50/50. Everyone has given proper credit and/or linked to this thread or my twitch so I don't mind.

#177 3 years ago

Sonic Mania asset pack added:

#180 3 years ago

Spent some time last night updating the UI. Speed+gauge are bigger to highlight their importance a little more, and a lot of other edits for readability on brighter backgrounds. Updated the rest of the static text to the yellow/gold for consistency, and added a lot of shadows for the white text to display on.

UI update (resized).pngUI update (resized).png
#181 3 years ago

Here is the biggest chunk of last night's stream. New right ramp is great. That shot is no longer a bottleneck and is fun to shoot again. Anti sway mount for ring standup 2 is great as well and has eliminated the half ramp straight into R outlane.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/695671358

Also here is a 4 spin speed breakthrough I got last night. Never gets old.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/696345544

#182 3 years ago

I successfully added a lock down bar button to my Williams lock bar setup. It wasn't as hard as I expected it to be. As you can see I did have some trouble getting my holes in the right place for tapping. Not sure how/if I'll get an RGB light in there but that's a problem for another day.

FJIMG_20200731_224200 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200731_224200 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200731_224411 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200731_224411 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200731_224426 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200731_224426 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200731_224439 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200731_224439 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200731_224444 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200731_224444 (resized).jpg
#183 3 years ago

Important messages! Sonic says and play tips added to attract.

FJIMG_20200801_172339 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200801_172339 (resized).jpg
#185 3 years ago

Bug hunting and new zone live stream tonight at 6pm EST
https://www.twitch.tv/thecephalopod

#186 3 years ago

Biggest chunk of tonight's stream (still having internet problems. Tech comes for the 3rd time on Thursday) hunted down a few bugs, showed off some icey stages.

http://www.twitch.tv/thecephalopod/v/699550864

#187 3 years ago

Ive been live streaming instead of documenting my work lately. Sorry for that. I promise to shoot some youtube videos of all the new stuff soon. on this list we have two zones (combos and ice) mystery awards (including a new multiball) heck I still haven't shot a video of Mania Multiball. Sorry guys I promise to film it all soon so you dont have to wade through twitch replays.

Until then, here is what I did today to tide you over:

Sonic 3D Blast media pack has been completed and implemented. Some of the best music in the series comes with it. Finding the Mystic cave zone mostly see through track/floor has made the weird backgrounds less strange while also being easy. change a few colors and it blends right in and sonic is no longer running in mid air.

I'm struggling to diagnose two game breaking bugs that remain. I get a stick overflow crash sometimes when beating a level/starting zone select (but not always) Id say it happens 15% of the time and when it does the logs just cut off. No useful information at all. The other is newer. and also intermittent. Sometimes when an early ball saver triggers (hit outlane switch and it doesn't wait for the ball to go down before launching the next one.) the game puts two balls in play instead of one. at least this one doesnt kill the logs. I have a few saved to look through. Seriously though thats it for game breaking bugs. I have plenty of visual, music, and light bugs, but the game is approaching true stability from a code/crash perspective.

3db (resized).png3db (resized).pngRR (resized).pngRR (resized).png
#188 3 years ago

The second mini wizard mode for Sonic Spinball! Bonus Slots!

Hit the flashing arrows to have a pull on the slot machine! Collect rings to score bonus! Watch out though: If you run out of time or hit Robotniks you lose it all!

This is currently the most complex mode in the game coming in at around 1550 lines of code. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Needs some tweaking but its mostly done. I'm also really glad I decided to animate the background. It really makes the whole thing pop.

#191 3 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Great job on this, as I know this was a ton of work to implement, and it's another good example of your excellent efforts to bring in the themes from the game. Constructive criticism ahead though ... which I'm sure isn't what you'd want to hear after putting all the effort into this part. But thinking about it did spawn another idea. Read on...
Personally, I always found the slot machines to be the absolute most boring part of the Sonic games -- it just takes too darn long. I don't want to stop and wait around for slots to spin and rings awarded. Any time I'm playing through S3 or S&K, whenever the slot machine bonus level appears at the lampposts, I skip it every time. I'd much rather play the Gumball Machine or the Spheres -- and I do stop to play those. They're short, and they're more fun because at least you have control. I imagine this will be a problem here in the pinball too -- having to hit the shots will be fun, but sitting around waiting for the slots and rings will get boring.
Come to think of it, the Gumball Machine would actually serve as great bonus game / Video Mode, since you can have control (only need to move left and right via flipper buttons). Plus it's a much shorter mode and wouldn't bog the game down.

So here is my take on this: I agree with you.

When playing Sonic and Knuckles I always skipped the slot machine bonus because it was tedious. the slot itself had crap rewards and it was a pain to enter. I really just prayed I got the sphere level because the rewards were just incredible. I could easily get 300+ rings every time in less than a minute of sphere. It was just better. This was bad game design though. unbalanced incentive. All or most of the players options should be viable, and each should be better in different ways. If you make 2 levels, and one is just always better rewards wise, the other becomes a disappointment instantly

In spite of this, every-time I'm going through casino night zone I cant resist hopping in the slots once or twice. The aesthetic is delightful and iconic. The things that made slot bonus bad aren't a problem here. Entering the slot is playing pinball and therefore not a chore, and as it sits its a very high scoring mode, so the incentive to play is there. The DLC pinball machine in Sonic generation's main goal is to spin the slots over and over and it doesn't get boring. Also, Since this mode is inspired by casino run in Jackbot, I can tell you from experience that a 2-3 second reel spin doesn't get boring either. I am planning on adding a flipper cancel to the ring count up (not the reel animations though. That would be a damn nightmare to code) I can even make it faster by default now that i figured out how to make the sound effects not sound terrible on such a short timer. Also as its a mini wizard mode, you wont be getting to it every game. it being rare helps keeps it fun instead of tedious.

And now for a rant! Gumball is the actual worst bonus level in all of sonic. The rewards are terrible, and the aesthetic is forgettable at best and non-existent at worst. Seriously just put me in a room with a bunch of shields and tell me to pick one and leave. maybe throw 10 rings at me. it achieves the same effect without the overused side bounce sound effect. Gravity in sonic is too strong to make the design work. Ive always hated the gumball bonus.

The third and final mini wizard mode will be blue sphere. I already have an idea of how it will be implemented. Gonna need to playtest it to see if its fun though.

#193 3 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Some more thoughts on the topic...
- I think the only time I ever enter the Slot Machine bonus level is when I have all the emeralds and I'm looking for some quick rings to activate Super Sonic. lol
- Agreed, a drop or two into the Slot Machines in Casino night is usually in order (or sometimes happens by accident). Fits better in that particular zone than as a standalone bonus level.
- Spheres is definitely the best! I look forward to how you're going to implement it -- I'd imagine that'll be a challenge since you'd need controls for left, right, and jump. (I don't recall, does your game have an 'action' button?)
- I lol'd at your assessment (and alternative proposal) for Gumball. Sounds like you just came up with another mini-bonus mode -- pick a shield and get 10 rings.
Keep up the great work!

I currently dont have any plans to make sphere bonus (the one with the glowing orbs that you must climb) in SSB, I have no idea how that would work. Blue sphere is going to be sort of like "turn off the lights" but instead it will be turn all shots from blue to red. hitting red shots will give you a strike. 3 strikes ends the mode. everytime you clear a blue sphere you get points, everytime you clear them all you get a bigger reward and keep going. collecting all rings in a single round will award a "perfect" bonus like the game. Using that plan as a base I intend to tweak it as needed.

That wont be for a little while. Next things to be programmed are extra balls, loop awards ladder, badnicks/animals, then another main mode. Once I have 6 main modes I will worry about another bonus level haha. Its nice having more than 50% of the planned code/feature set complete. I only realized last week that I am a lot farther along in code than I thought.

There is still a lot of physical work to do. Unfortunately I'm waiting on contractors right now. The graphics/decals guy hasnt answered any of my messages for two weeks and I cant really progress on the cabinet until I have the decals. Powder coating is ready for pickup waiting on contractor as well.

EDIT: look a few posts up to see the action button installation

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

I currently dont have any plans to make sphere bonus (the one with the glowing orbs that you must climb) in SSB, I have no idea how that would work. Blue sphere is going to be sort of like "turn off the lights" but instead it will be turn all shots from blue to red. hitting red shots will give you a strike. 3 strikes ends the mode. everytime you clear a blue sphere you get points, everytime you clear them all you get a bigger reward and keep going. collecting all rings in a single round will award a "perfect" bonus like the game. Using that plan as a base I intend to tweak it as needed.
That wont be for a little while. Next things to be programmed are extra balls, loop awards ladder, badnicks/animals, then another main mode. Once I have 6 main modes I will worry about another bonus level haha. Its nice having more than 50% of the planned code/feature set complete. I only realized last week that I am a lot farther along in code than I thought.
There is still a lot of physical work to do. Unfortunately I'm waiting on contractors right now. The graphics/decals guy hasnt answered any of my messages for two weeks and I cant really progress on the cabinet until I have the decals. Powder coating is ready for pickup waiting on contractor as well.

EDIT: look a few posts up to see the action button installation

#196 3 years ago

Glowing orbs is my favorite too. No idea how it would translate to pinball though :\

#198 3 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Yeah not unless it was a standard "video mode" where the ball is held and you play it all on the screen. Left/right/jump.

Yeah. I'm pretty steadfast in my decision to not do a video mode though. I could never do as well as the games so I don't see the point.

2 weeks later
#199 3 years ago

Powder coating is done. Looks amazing. I can't wait to have a cabinet to put it in. Too bad cabinet decals are turning out to be something I can't get done quickly.

I finally fixed all the issues with my 3D printer. We now have left ramp v3 "Thicc" edition. Left ramp is now MUCH easier from the lower flipper. Difficulty feels good now.

I have almost finished Loop awards AND Animals/Badniks. Both have an issue with animation lag. I don't think I'm gonna be able to get away with implementing them the way I currently am. We shall see. Both also need their multiballs coded still. So that's gonna be what... 6 unique multiballs when this is done? Each with their own rules. Neat.

FJIMG_20200828_224928 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200828_224928 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200828_100727 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200828_100727 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200828_100722 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200828_100722 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200817_184844 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200817_184844 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200817_184825 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200817_184825 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200825_231456 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200825_231456 (resized).jpg
#201 3 years ago

Anyone have a spare orbit metal guide? The really long one? I'm tearing my WH20 down and realized this is the only metal guide Ive ever seen that is long enough to work with my home-brew game (Sonic the Hedgehog) Cant find it for sale anywhere.

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Just joking but the new Avengers has a fat ramp that you can hit from both lower flippers and the upper flipper just like Sonic. I think it’s a hell of a compliment even if it’s just a coincidence.

Wooooooow I thought you were talking about the loop-ish shot on the premium.

Cant help but feel that I should be listed in the credits for the new avengers pin =P

#211 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Wooooooow I thought you were talking about the loop-ish shot on the premium.
Cant help but feel that I should be listed in the credits for the new avengers pin =P

#212 3 years ago

It is a glorious day. I have finally ditched the laptop. Say hello to the "parts I found in the basement" PC. Total cost: $27 for a new SSD.

Game performs MUCH better. No more getting angry at Dropbox or choppy video playback!

I also added a metal guide inside the left ramp today. I was holding a piece of scrap rail and just noticed it would probably fit. Not really important to the final game, but makes the Whitewood shot better.

I have Animals/Badniks and Loop awards each 80% done and implemented. Just missing their multiballs (seems like everything has a multiball!) I'll post/stream them when they are done. Been struggling with Covid depression and haven't wanted to stream.

FJIMG_20200905_221835 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200905_221835 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200906_171928 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200906_171928 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#216 3 years ago

I FINALLY was able to start working on Sonic again today.
Ive been struggling a lot with depression over the last month or so and getting myself to work on projects has been difficult. Today I felt good for the first time in a while and was able to focus and create my most complicated animation yet! Enjoy!

#221 3 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Yeah man keep up the good work! My daughter asks me about once a week if you've made any updates, so we're always checking in.

pretty sure your daughter is my favorite fan haha. hopefully I will have something for you to show her soon.

progress update:

Loop multiball is in the polishing stage, that will be loop awards done.
Badniks / animals is 80% done, just got to work through some animation slowdown issues, and make the badnik count actually do something. (end of ball bonus + a multiball planned)
I'm making a video this weekend to be shown at Pinball Expo next week!
Finally found someone to make the cabinet decals who will actually respond to messages. Should be ready in a few weeks.

#224 3 years ago

Sonic will be featured in the Pinball Expo stream!

I prepared a 15 minute video which will air during one of the homebrew blocks. Either 10PM EST Friday or 3PM EST Saturday. The video will go up on YouTube and be posted here afterwards in case you miss it.

https://www.twitch.tv/pinballexpo

#225 3 years ago

By Request: Ramp clip STL files

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4624821

#226 3 years ago

Holy crap guys look what I managed to get ahold of! Bought it yesterday. Arranging shipping!

Screenshot_20201015-021839 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201015-021839 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201015-105714 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201015-105714 (resized).png
#229 3 years ago

Well, apparently my video played on the Pinball Expo stream while I was asleep this morning. I figured they would play it during the homebrew block... Since it's a homebrew... but I guess not. Here is the video in case you missed it (like I did)

1 week later
#236 3 years ago

These look niiiice

FJIMG_20201029_184032 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201029_184032 (resized).jpg
#238 3 years ago

So apparently Sonic Spinball got a rather flattering shoutout in the latest episode of the Kaneda pinball podcast. Neat!

https://play.acast.com/s/kanedaspinballpodcast/tag%3Asoundcloud%2C2010%3Atracks%2F920649427

#240 3 years ago

I don't think it would be too hard to get the license. Sega licenses Sonic out for everything these days.

#245 3 years ago

Cabinet decals installed! Looks incredible! So glad I didn't spray the whole thing black. The blue peeking out here and there is awesome.

FJIMG_20201107_173840 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201107_173840 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201107_173846 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201107_173846 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201107_173854 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201107_173854 (resized).jpg
#246 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Great work! Look forward to the next twitch stream of game play...
-mof

Soon. I've been trying to finish some other projects to get them out of my shop ASAP. I'm over capacity.

#249 3 years ago

Happy 1 year birthday to Sonic Spinball

Screenshot_20201113-093738 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201113-093738 (resized).png
#251 3 years ago

Just a quick update, I'm trying to knock out all the other projects cluttering up my shop before I get back to work on sonic. 2/3 are complete, and the last one is waiting on a parts order and then will be done in an afternoon or so. After that I will have NO OTHER PROJECTS for the first time in ages. Expect regular streams and a lot of cabinet progress shortly.

1 week later
#253 3 years ago

Finished almost the entire lower cab tonight. Woooo!

FJIMG_20201122_171616 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_171616 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_180456 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_180456 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_184618 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_184618 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_190323 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_190323 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_222410 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_222410 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_223446 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_223446 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_223911 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_223911 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_225347 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_225347 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_225657 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_225657 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_235617 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_235617 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_235708 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201122_235708 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_005804 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_005804 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_005811 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_005811 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_005822 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_005822 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_005847 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_005847 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_005944 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_005944 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_010011 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_010011 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_010131 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_010131 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_010509 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_010509 (resized).jpg
#255 3 years ago
FJIMG_20201123_164611 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_164611 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_171433 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201123_171433 (resized).jpg
#257 3 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

for an mid 90's feel it should have an buy-in button

hmmmmm maybe use the "pinball sucks " for buy in with a traditional start?

#260 3 years ago

Cabinet is done until game is ready to be dropped in and backglass arrives.

Gonna stream tonight to celebrate. It's been a while. Probably testing GI solution, Loop multiball

FJIMG_20201124_152214 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201124_152214 (resized).jpg
#262 3 years ago

Live streaming some Sonic development for the first time in a while. Starting around 7pm

Twitch.tv/thecephalopod

#263 3 years ago

I FINALLY fixed the "random" crashing bug when completing stages! It has been plaguing me for months! The Blue chaos emerald status light was calling for a show that didn't exist. The crash was actually occuring whenever I finished the water zone! If Zone 7 was implemented it would have had the same issue. Fixed! No more crashing! (For now)

#266 3 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

and the drowning cuts out the good music in them.

In my version the music resumes instead of restarting. So there is that?

#268 3 years ago

Small update, started a major shop overhaul/expansion. I've had a huge shelving unit full of computer servers I was finally able to get rid of so I'm reclaiming the space. While I was at it, I moved Sonic's mock cabinet to make it stick out into the room less, and came up with a slightly more secure solution for playfield tilt than "just pile it on a few 2x4s it will be fine." Still 2x4s, but now they are actually screwed together, and a few screws hold it in place on the base. Did some better cable management too. No more cables on the floor (including all the streaming stuff)

TWIPY pre-voting starts tomorrow. Make sure to vote for Sonic

FJIMG_20201130_173157 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201130_173157 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201130_173235 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201130_173235 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201130_173252 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201130_173252 (resized).jpg
#269 3 years ago

Pre-Voting is live! Lets get Sonic Nominated!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twipy-2020-pre-voting/

#271 3 years ago

Sonic says it's time to stop messing around and do some high effort work. He has seized a power tool. I am frightened.

FJIMG_20201202_202455 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201202_202455 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201202_202922 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201202_202922 (resized).jpg
#272 3 years ago

Oh no! It looks like he made the hole a little too big!

FJIMG_20201202_204207 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201202_204207 (resized).jpg
#273 3 years ago

It appears he got it figured out. Stand ups will be moved about 1/4 inch. Not too bad considering the saw is bigger than him

FJIMG_20201202_211924 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201202_211924 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201202_214554 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201202_214554 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201202_220726 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201202_220726 (resized).jpg
#274 3 years ago

Sonic get away from the spot welder. We don't have enough practice ye.... OK fine ONE loop.

FJIMG_20201202_231759 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201202_231759 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201202_231808 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201202_231808 (resized).jpg
#276 3 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

lol cute. Such a cool build. Spot welding is definitely something I've not done yet...maybe some day. To be honest though I kinda liked the blue guides holding the wireforms together. Probably not the most robust solution though and might be a bit more distracting on a ramp that cuts across the playfield like that.

I actually like them too but they break. =\ While replaceable, The goal is reliability. and yes the ramp cutting across the PF needs to be as discrete as possible. once the entire thing is welded, I plan on cutting off the side rails for the straight across the PF section.

#278 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Did you move the targets back just widen the orbit shot or was there another reason?

Yes this was the main reason. The targets were originally placed as a guess since i didn't know how much room i needed for the loop. I gave myself a lot of extra room so I wanted to close it up. This will make the left orbit less awkward from the lower flipper. The geometry wasn't really there for a clean hit on the spinner. Also, I want the looping shot to be easy so players can chain high spin-dash numbers.

#279 3 years ago

Redid the entire left side of the PF. Welded proper mounting solution on the loop. Way less wobbly, way more accurate, more speed. Tweaked a bunch of other stuff in the entry way. Way harder to shoot through to the exit lane without dropping into the launcher. VERY happy with the results. Left orbit shot's geometry feels correct now. Patch job is acceptable. No noticable issues with gameplay.

Perfect keychain aquired.

FJIMG_20201203_172558 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_172558 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_180441 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_180441 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_180451 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_180451 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_224345 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_224345 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201204_012828 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201204_012828 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201204_012834 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201204_012834 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201204_012853 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201204_012853 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201204_012900 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201204_012900 (resized).jpg
#280 3 years ago

Slow-motion of new rigid loop. Recall the massive amount of flexing it did during previous slow motions (expo video)

#283 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Weld a bracket or two to the outside of the loop and screw into the side wall?

Look closer, I already welded a bracket on and screwed it down. The only shaking in this shot is the camera

#285 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I meant the top part of the lewp

ohhhhhh i see. Doubt it will be necessary. It's pretty solid right now without it.

#286 3 years ago
FJIMG_20201203_230139 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_230139 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_012807 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_012807 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_012812 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_012812 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_230808 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_230808 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_013028 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_013028 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_012822 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_012822 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_230406 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_230406 (resized).jpg
#287 3 years ago

Adventures in welding! Apparently I'm getting better with the spot welder. I decided to start with the easiest ramp to remake in case I burned the metal and broke it. It turned out quite nice! Used a tip I read somewhere for how to easily make the rings. Worked great. That dowel bit has been a valuable tool for this project.

Physical work continues. Gonna try welding a metal rail support to the loop tomorrow. I REALLY hope I don't screw it up. Those rails took forever to get into the right shape.

FJIMG_20201203_230139 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_230139 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_230406 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_230406 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_230808 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201203_230808 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_012807 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_012807 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_012812 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_012812 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_012822 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_012822 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_013028 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_013028 (resized).jpg
#288 3 years ago

Behold the full metal loop! It is glorious! About 5 hours of welding, filing, dremeling, grinding, and sanding and the loop is now complete. I was SUPER scared of burning the metal on the loop rails and breaking them. But the only thing I broke was one of the support wires which was easy enough to replace. The weld strength is good enough. I wouldn't chuck it against a wall and expect no welds to pop (like I did with my test welding structures), but I can bend the nearby wires to proper shapes without breaking the bonds. So what is next? I'm still waiting on more lights from FAST to finish GI, and the flood lighting materials will be here Monday. I don't see a reason to take the other wireforms off and weld them right now. They are super sturdy and have no disadvantages. I guess I'll have to stare at it for a while and figure out what NEEDS to happen before it can go in the cabinet.

FJIMG_20201205_193006 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_193006 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_193019 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_193019 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_193622 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_193622 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_193633 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_193633 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_193643 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201205_193643 (resized).jpg
#290 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Any plans to powder coat some of these rails? I think I’m gunna miss the blue.

I hope there will be enough blue on the cab trim to keep everyone happy. In theory you won't see the stainless here either since it will be dressed up in plastics.

#292 3 years ago

bit of signpost science today, that and a few GI holes which will get filled tomorrow night (probably on stream)

signpost (resized).pngsignpost (resized).png
#293 3 years ago

Gonna try to out the signpost on a disappearing post mech so that it's normally to high for the ball, but when it's lit it will come down so you can spin it. I need to order a taller post though

FJIMG_20201206_205045 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201206_205045 (resized).jpg

#296 3 years ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

This is incredible. How do you do the wire forms? I want to try and make some to replace sections of a broken plastic ramp. Cant wait to see it all finished!

I used 1/8 stainless and a spot welder. I don't recommend this though. If I had to start over I'd use plain mild steel as it's way easier to weld and then I'd just have it powder coated or chromed to prevent rust.

#297 3 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Hmm...I wonder how well the shaft for the solenoid will do with the ball hitting it from time to time. How do you plan to register the spins?

I doubt it will be a problem. I can protect the shaft if it ends up being one though. I actually don't intend to register the spins. The right ramp switch is positioned so that it hits at the same time. This will give the illusion of the sign post registering. It's not like you can "rip" a spinner that is on a return ramp.

#298 3 years ago

Prototype Signpost is done. I'm I'm waiting on some parts to make the pull down post part work. My post wasn't nearly long enough. Held on with rubbers right now haha.

I got a TON of parts and stuff in today. Lots more to come.

FJIMG_20201207_174715 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201207_174715 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201207_193458 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201207_193458 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201207_193515 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201207_193515 (resized).jpg
#302 3 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Oh, I see. That makes a lot more sense. Now just make sure it stays under the glass when raised!

I measured before I built it and the loop is significantly taller (which also fits) It will be interesting making the final version fit, but I think I'll get it.

#305 3 years ago

Number 1 suggestion I get for sonic (multiple times a week) is "Why not use a blue ball?"

Answer: There is only 1 source I am aware of for colored balls:
https://shop.modmypin.com/index.php
They are expensive, and I have been told they don't hold up for regular play. If you wanna contact them and first convince them to sell you a set of mixed colors (they come in sets of 4 same color. I would need 1 Blue, 1 Red, 1 Yellow, and 1 Pink) and second pay the $50 a set they cost just for science be my guest =P

#308 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I'd chip in to get you some blue balls.

Hold off on that I may have someone who can actually get me some of the williams prototype blue powerballs

#309 3 years ago

This is exciting. It's bigger than the one I had planned on using, so I'm a little worried it won't fit. But this thing is plug and play with windows, meaning I can put whatever I want on it, not just a slide show as previously planned. I expect lots of information to go on the screen.

FJIMG_20201214_122946 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201214_122946 (resized).jpg
#310 3 years ago

Example of information that can be displayed. So far the list is:

Animals
Locks
Boss HP?
Score slides?
Feature lit alert
Elemetal shield cycle (original purpose)
Mystery lit (original purpose)
Zone goal

Not sure what will make the cut, but lots can be done with this thing...now I just gotta figure out how to make it fit x_x

FJIMG_20201214_160340 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201214_160340 (resized).jpg

#312 3 years ago

The whole point of the mini screen is to be a power up TV. So I want it to go above the scoop. Apron doesn't help if you ask me. I still can't see it while playing without taking my eye off the ball.

#313 3 years ago

Second portion of the signpost is prototyped. Works great! Now I just need to redo the first sign to spin on a #8 screw instead of a #6 screw. I've ordered new bearings and redesigned the 3D printed part. Once they arrive I can combine the two prototypes into something fully functional. Gotta hook up another driver board to run it as the others are full.

FJIMG_20201215_192751 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201215_192751 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201215_192753 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201215_192753 (resized).jpg
#314 3 years ago

The Signpost Spinner is complete! Fully functional, fully beautiful. Here are some videos of the finished product:

Making a brand new type of spinner:

So as I posted before I started playing around with designs and parts this week. My shaft parts came in and I was able to make a rather elegant mechanism. Today the bearings arrived and I put together the new design. It worked VERY well. The small pegs on the sides and longer metal contacts eliminate stuck balls. I have to TRY to get the ball stuck and even then it just gets stuck on the switch, not the spinner.

So now that I know it works it's time to make a pretty one. I printed the spinner with ABS plastic so I could use a finishing method called vapor smoothing.

Basically you boil some acetone and allow the vapor to surround your part. This melts the outer layers of the plastic, creating a smooth shiney finish. It's a bit more complex than that and timing is critical, but I'm practiced so it was no problem. After that I needed to make the final decals. I printed extras before, now I layered mylar over the images and cut them out. I applied them like cabinet decals using a plastic razor blade to make sure it has a good bond and no bubbles. The label paper doesn't have great adhesion, but the signpost is smooth now, so it accepts the sticker without protest.

Put it all together, then I needed to add another FAST driver board because I didn't have anymore drivers available on the other 2. I also plan to have a coil for the Robotnik toy, so I needed to use one anyways. Pretty easy to install. Quick code change and it was working fine. I spent a half hour fine tuning it, Reducing vibrations, dialing in the power levels, and adding it to the game code. I'm very happy with the results. I'm gonna need to think of more ways to play with it. I'm thinking sign juggling mode. We shall see.

FJIMG_20201218_214527 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_214527 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_214535 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_214535 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_214749 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_214749 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_215925 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_215925 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223854 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223854 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223902 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223902 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223948 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223948 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223952 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223952 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201219_001948 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201219_001948 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201219_002151 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201219_002151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20201219-015953 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201219-015953 (resized).png

#315 3 years ago

New experimental long right ramp. May help with airballs, ball speed on signpost spinner, and visibility. printing overnight.

132303045_764701236423_596193695647064513_o (resized).jpg132303045_764701236423_596193695647064513_o (resized).jpg
#318 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

You could also do whgat the Getaway does on its Uturn, a piece of plexi/lecan above it.
[quoted image]

planning on doing this anyways, but would like it to not be a crutch. Ramp geometry is more difficult than I and no doubt many others would think. I'm learning a lot from them.

#319 3 years ago

I was recently interviewed about Sonic Spinball on the Kaneda Pinball Podcast. Check it out here!

https://soundcloud.com/kanedapinball/episode-545-sonics-homebrew-hero

#323 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

I’m new to your thread here and just wanted to say, love what you’re doing, it looks amazing so far! I hope one of the manufacturers picks you up and puts this thing into production so we can all enjoy it. I would definitely buy it.
I’m going to read through the entire thread tonight hopefully or tomorrow but I can’t wait to see this thing finished and what you’re able to pull off here besides all the awesome stuff you have already. Truly amazing what you’ve been able to do in one year! Keep up the great work!

Thanks for checking it out! I hope you enjoy the process. Even if it doesnt get picked up i hope to bring it to as many shows around the country as I can. So hopefully everyone will get a chance to play.

#324 3 years ago

So as you guys may know, I post about Sonic in a lot of places, specifically on Facebook etc. but I always post MORE here, they get all the finished product photos, you get the process as well. I like to give those who are big enough fans to actually follow the build thread some extra stuff once in a while. So here is the first of three secret games in SSB: Ristar.

Not sure how many of you are familiar with Ristar and his game, but it was made by some of the same people who made the early sonic games. Its much slower. The game isn't about speed at all, with an emphasis on platforming and its grab mechanic. However its very similar to the early sonic games in several ways; 2 acts called "rounds" per world with a boss at the end, various colorful locations, excellent music, etc. Ristar also has a special place in my heart, and it fits so well that I had to include it.

But its secret so don't tell anyone! You are going to have to enter a code to unlock it. Pretty sure I will add hints somewhere in the game or attract mode.

ristar1 (resized).pngristar1 (resized).pngristar2 (resized).pngristar2 (resized).pngristar 3 (resized).pngristar 3 (resized).png

#327 3 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Does stern still have some rights to sonic in pinball?

still? did they ever?

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

They owned Sega pinball. Think Baywatch, Batman Forever, etc. Good question if they still do.

Oh, Well I imagine since Sega never made a Sonic pinball, that would not have been part of Sega's pinball division. Also, Sega would never sell rights to Sonic in any form. They would only license them.

#331 3 years ago

Well sonic was the on the flippers / dmd art / some boards. So what usage rights does stern still have to sonic in pinball if any? -
Sega can put Sonic anywhere they want. Sonic is a registered trademark. There is no possible way any rights to Sonic could have possibly been part of that deal.

Do they have have right of first refusal for any real full size sonic based pinball based pinball game? - How could they? Unless that was specifically written somewhere in a document from when they took over SPD this would be impossible to prove. Why would this have been written in? A hypothetical game that no one has made?

And an sequel to the movie is in the works will that have any issues with licensing of this game? - No. That isn't how licensing works.

#333 3 years ago
Quoted from dmarston:

Not only is the game very much welcome at Pintastic New England, but we give major Bonus Points for homebrew games. Plus, we have a panel discussion featuring homebrew game creators most years. Furthermore, we get top executives from the pinball factories in attendance, which is how Joel de Guzman got connected with American Pinball.
.................David Marston

I would never miss a Pintastic. Don't worry

#334 3 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone!

Got these neopixel sticks online to experiment with. Made some mounting brackets and installed them in all the main mode shot inserts. Now we can have light shows within a single insert! Does a great job of getting the players attention, and allows the main mode shot lights to be SUPER bright if all turned on at once.

FJIMG_20201225_185222 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201225_185222 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201225_185234 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201225_185234 (resized).jpg
#338 3 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Now that's innovation! Get me a Sonic over RAZA!

Don't think I'm being innovative with this one. I'm almost positive I'm copying some other game with this idea I just can't recall which.

#342 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It made me think of Hot Wheels. Some other games have two bulbs under inserts, but not used for an effect like that (to my knowledge)

Yeah I remembered it was hotwheels I saw it on. I actually mentioned that in the stream video I just posted.

#344 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

PS. Please incorporate some 90s styling queues to the cabinet somehow... I cant call out what exactly...

The cabinet design is very 90s. Tons of 90s cabs were just a massive logo and a simple background. In my case I went with the classic Sega Genesis black grid that they used on many of their cartridge boxes

#348 3 years ago

This game looks amazing!
Watched about 45 minutes of the stream, on my phone, but I’ll watch the whole stream later tonight on my tv!
Man it looks good.... those multiball modes look fast and look like a lot of fun. Super loop mode is awesome bonus slots is so cool! Great work!!!!
On the T-shirt’s.... why wait fir the shows??? Have some made up and sell them here to help fund your work? I’d be in for one for sure and maybe more!

Not a bad Idea. I'll look into it.

#349 3 years ago

Soooo How many people would want to buy one of these at $20 with free shipping? Not exactly gonna fund anything with that $ but It would be cool to have them anyways?

preview (resized).jpgpreview (resized).jpg
#356 3 years ago

Alright. I guess we are making shirts. Toss me a PM with your quantity, sizes, and shipping info! I'll toss this out on the other platforms and let everyone know when I put in the order.

#359 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

paid. Super excited. Any plans to make it a full fledged VPX release as well?

No plans for full VPX release unless someone can show me how to make RGB color changing lights in VPX. As far as I know it's not supported.

#360 3 years ago

Behold! MSPaint Robotnik's latest evil plan! The Sharpie DeathEgg!

The Robotnik toy I ordered 6 months ago still doesn't even have an ETA so I needed a placeholder to build the mech. The first sphere I found that was the right size was a deathstar kitchen timer. I proceeded to ruin it and mount it to the AFM mech I bought. The attachment method works well enough, and the springs on the top and bottom provide a nice wiggle effect after being struck by the solenoid. Top spring is a shooter rod outer spring :p

It doesn't fit at all because this mech is HUGE. I'm going to cut it down to a more manageable size and mount it on hex posts I bought from PBL. it's actually a bit of a tight fit with the glass. In it's current incorrect form it's 1/4 too tall. I'm sure it will sit far lower once I hack it up.

I also figured out how I'm going to make sure it always faces the right direction. Gonna add a flipper spring to the back that will pull it gently. If it starts to wander it will pull it back straight.

I'll probably hack it up this weekend. Maybe I can get it mounted and working and we can all stare at the glorious sharpie moustache for a month or three.

FB_IMG_1609402989871 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1609402989871 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201230_002008 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201230_002008 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201230_002113 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201230_002113 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201230_002120 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201230_002120 (resized).jpg
#361 3 years ago

Gonna give the T shirt orders a week to come in then will order. You guys were right. Already sold 40+ shirts

#363 3 years ago

Happy New year!

Boss Mech is complete! You can now battle Sharpie DeathEgg until the high quality toy arrives!

Lots of cutting and drilling metal on this one. Tons if mileage out if my Dremel and new drill bits. I had to remove about half the mounting plate. The standoffs I bought were too long so I had to cut, re-drill, and re-tap them.

I came up with a simple solution to prevent it from wander-rotating over time. A flipper spring gently pulls on the back, if it starts to spin it gets pulled back straight.

The spring shaft was a lot of trial and error to see what combination of washers and springs produced the best movement. This setup is adjustable by tightening or loosening the screw. It's a balance of loose enough to move but not so loose as to have it hit the striker on the rebound which kills the movement. Hopefully if the final toy is heavier the adjustment will be enough.

This is the final main toy. Some more minor stuff is planned, but with the loop, signpost, and robotnik done that is a huge milestone.

FJIMG_20210101_025050 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_025050 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_012647 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_012647 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_013943 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_013943 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_004759 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_004759 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_014717 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_014717 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_012656 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_012656 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_024937 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_024937 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_025003 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_025003 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_025018 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_025018 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_025032 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_025032 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_025010 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210101_025010 (resized).jpg
#366 3 years ago

Twipy voting is live! You guys got Sonic Spinball on the ballot for best homebrew pinball, now let's WIN it!

Vote here:
https://twipys.com/2020-twipys-ballot

Screen-Shot-2020-11-28-at-9.12.59-PM (resized).pngScreen-Shot-2020-11-28-at-9.12.59-PM (resized).png
#370 3 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Can I ask you a couple of questions about your spot welder and wireforms:
-Is it a 110V or 220V model?
-Do you think it's easier than a normal hand-held welder for wireforms?
-Is it powerful enough to weld 1/8" steel wire together.
Thanks

110v

I don't have a hand welder and haven't used one in 15+ years. No idea.

Yes. I'm doing 1/8 stainless wire. If I had to do it over I'd use mild steel (easier welding) and then powder coat them/chrome them afterwards.

At Least with stainless, the welds aren't super strong in their own, but once you get multiple welds sharing the stress it becomes more than strong enough really fast.

#376 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Did I hear right that AP was hiring Nordman and three home brew designers

Junior Designers, not specifically Homebrew. But yes that was confirmed

#378 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Can you divulge any more info on AP plans for Sonic?

I have spoken with AP. We will see where/if it goes anywhere.

#383 3 years ago

I’d be in for one!
My wife was a huge Sonic the hedgehog fan, when we first dated, and she also loved playing sonic spinball! We probably had most all the sonic games. I also enjoyed playing them.
Our second pinball machine I bought for us was her favorite pin she played at the arcade, The Getaway HS2.
I’d love to be able get this one for her! (And for me )

awwww I want to do a getaway restore so bad. Cant seem to find a decent project

#390 3 years ago

Loop improvement and Lots of little optimizations/hardware bugfixes. All kinds of little stuff that has been bothering me:

Loop optimization:
-Mounts redone to correct height/location
-Rails adjusted and aimed left a bit. Smoother. less bonk.
-Added rubber pad to bottom of kicker, smoother launching. The ball was occasionally settling into the larger portion of the kicker hole. This caused air launches that would still go around the loop, but would lose a lot of momentum when making first contact. This rubber pad makes the arm rest 1/8 inch forward, ensuring the ball can only settle on the switch hole which is properly centered.
-Entry guide geometry improved. Ball was hitting right side and losing a lot of momentum because the wall angle was rather extreme. Fixed.
-Trimmed entry, new ramp flap. Ball was jumping off old flap. Made a longer one for smoother transition.

Used loop entry trimming to improve left orbit geometry. (Waste not!) Apparently forgot to take a picture. Small metal guide is now on the outer left wall of the left ramp. Fixes awkward (and plastic) bonk on balls shot at the right side of the left orbit.

Left orbit switch swapped for an opto. Most common stuck ball eliminated

Adjusted boss toy tension for more action. Literally half a turn looser made a big difference.

Rebent right upper rollover to fix rare stuck ball

Added flap to boss door. Should come like this from factory! Allows smoother release, helps a bit with air balls. Just gotta add another 1/2 second delay to drop release to give the door time to open all the way.

FJIMG_20210109_193813 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210109_193813 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210109_215306 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210109_215306 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210109_215516 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210109_215516 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210109_220204 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210109_220204 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210110_014058 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210110_014058 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210110_014103 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210110_014103 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210110_024042 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210110_024042 (resized).jpg

#391 3 years ago

Last call for T shirts. Gonna order them this week. PM me your shipping address, size, and qty to order. $20 free shipping (international shipping $5)
preview (resized).jpgpreview (resized).jpg

size chart (resized).pngsize chart (resized).png
#394 3 years ago

Laat nights stream. Testing optimizations. High score crash fixed! Spoiler alert: it's a good thing too, because I crushed my best score unexpectedly

http://www.twitch.tv/thecephalopod/v/869086544?sr=a

#396 3 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

What ended up being the issue on the high score crash?

I had added the lock bar button as an option for selecting letters and I did it wrong and forgotten about it. It wouldn't have crashed if it was a mode I wrote myself, but since it was internal to MPF it had different expectations (basically I wasn't allowed to list 2 events separated with a comma like you are allowed to do almost everywhere else.) In the end I just created a switch group called "select" and used that for picking letters.

#397 3 years ago

Shirts are ordered. I got some extras in case anyone comes in with a late order.

#400 3 years ago

66 as of this posting. I ordered 100 so still have some to bring to a show or fill late orders

#406 3 years ago

Someone blow in the cartridge!

#408 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

This animation is awesome. What program are you using to animate?

I used a combination of aftereffects and windows movie maker along with a few free online tools

#410 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

MPF is what keeps score obviously but I’ve always been curious how score display incorporates with animations. Is there a score overlay that is designed in mpf that exists over the animations unless told otherwise?

Mpf does it all. It basically works like PowerPoint. Mpf makes slides with widgets on them. You tell it where everything goes and what slide. Including videos, text, images, animations etc. Even a video is just a slide with a single video widget

#413 3 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

do an fun slam tilt one as well.

The games only call-out: "HEY EVERYBODY THIS GUY JUST SLAM TILTED! WHO DOES THAT!?"

#416 3 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

also add in show bonus lost on tilt

That's just mean

#417 3 years ago

Tilting is now (however unfortunately) coded into the game. Here is what it looks like. ignore the broken water zone instructions, I have since fixed them

#418 3 years ago

playlist of all Sonic Spinball Development videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLS1SajQHlXu4JjuCuWDFJREvn_rszxiX-

#423 3 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

any way to have some rero chiptune music in the game.
Any one think that the BSMT 2000 would of able to do the sonic music in an good way?

All music is original game music. I might have a hidden "mixtape" game but undecided. Unlikely to have any 3rd party stuff in there.

#425 3 years ago

Random fun design for "the portfolio" Physically possible Space Cadet

possible SC (resized).pngpossible SC (resized).png
#427 3 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Now that would be something! I never really thought about it lol, would be pretty awesome though. Seems like a good early 80's era machine

several homebrew projects have begun, none have ever made it to functioning whitewood. The game does a lot of impossible and wrong things that need to be fixed, but this version here shoots pretty well. the upper playfield wont work without custom playfield mounting, but you cant really fix that without destroying people's nostalgia, which would be the main reason to ever build this.

#429 3 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Yeah I'd imagine it'd be pretty deep in the glass with that upper playfield. Not to mention the top pop bumper the kicks the ball into all the targets probably wouldn't work well in reality.

It would work AS well or better as it does in the original game which is almost not at all.

#430 3 years ago

Starting the move to the cabinet. Unfortunately this means no more gameplay til it's done.

I found out test bench pc cases are way over priced so I destroyed the one i already had. Worked great.

Built in flood lights are done sans wiring.~60 Individually addressable lights per side and controlled by the game. Held on by magnets recessed into the cabinet.

FJIMG_20210115_192857 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210115_192857 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210115_213335 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210115_213335 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210115_213403 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210115_213403 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210115_223309 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210115_223309 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210115_234504 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210115_234504 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210116_005823 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210116_005823 (resized).jpg

FJIMG_20210115_213323 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210115_213323 (resized).jpg
#433 3 years ago

Move to cabinet continues. Cab switches wired, PC running, sound system and LCD hooked up. Waiting on some power related hardware that should arrive Monday before I can finish it off and maybe get the PF in there.

FJIMG_20210117_014550 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210117_014550 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210117_014603 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210117_014603 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210117_014610 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210117_014610 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210117_014625 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210117_014625 (resized).jpg
#436 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Do you see any chance that AP or somebody else could take this and run with it?

I don't see why not. Maybe someday when the world is normal and people can play it.

#437 3 years ago

Power is done, as are all connections required for the playfield. Next work session the playfield finally goes into the cabinet. I'm so excited. I need to find/make a backboard though..

FJIMG_20210119_020600 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210119_020600 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210119_020603 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210119_020603 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210119_020614 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210119_020614 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210119_020622 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210119_020622 (resized).jpg
#439 3 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

backboard? you may need to wire up cables to control lights on it if you want them.

Yes the rear wall on the playfield.
That is part of the "moving the PF to the cabinet" work session. Yes. I will also need to finally cut back one of the orbit guides so they fit correctly.

#443 3 years ago
Quoted from Gamemodder:

Will you finish your vpx version when this is done?

I'm going to try.

#444 3 years ago

FJIMG_20210120_014409 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210120_014409 (resized).jpg

It's done. It's in the cabinet. It works. It's so different and soooooo not level. I almost cried when it booted up. It was a struggle getting everything to fit and play nice, it IS. a WPC size playfield in a Williams system 11 cabinet after all. But its done. Huge milestone. Haven't felt this happy/proud since the first time it flipped. Tons more work to do and translite arrives Friday. But for now I will celebrate. It's a real pinball machine now.

Also that spooky apron is clearly way too tall.

FJIMG_20210119_230104 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210119_230104 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210120_014207 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210120_014207 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210120_014250 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210120_014250 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210120_014316 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210120_014316 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210120_014325 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210120_014325 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210120_020043 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210120_020043 (resized).jpg

#447 3 years ago
#450 3 years ago

New gameplay stream:

http://www.twitch.tv/thecephalopod/v/885681118?sr=a&t=5s

Many bug fixes since last time. Also extra balls are implimented fully now. New grand champion score too.

#452 3 years ago

- Gonna do another gameplay stream tonight around 7pm EST.

- Shirts have shipped. (all 50 lbs of them x_x )

- NVME drive added + All music has been switched to .wav, takes up another 2GB and cost $50 but cut loading times in half.

- New animation should hint at what we are testing tonight:

#453 3 years ago

Fire Zone test went well. Just some minor fixes and adjustment required. I've decided to randomize the shots and increase the point penalty to something slightly more noticeable. New streaming laptop worked out very well. next stream will probably be friday night.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/889525695

#455 3 years ago

Was feeling meh today, forced myself to work on code. It helped. Fire shots are now generated randomly instead of a few set patterns by me. Seems to work well. I may back-port this to Purple act 2, though that is a solution looking for a problem. Will stream test Friday night.

#457 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Jan blues hitting you too, eh?
Well..
At least ur not deeproot...

What happened? I haven't been following anything Deeproot. Too busy making pinball.

#458 3 years ago

Some zones swapped around to include more. Pinball people wont care. Sonic people might.

Oil Ocean Zone has moved to Mania (previously Lava Reef which is also used in S&K)
Hilltop Zone has been added to Sonic 2 (previously not part of the game)
hilltop (resized).pnghilltop (resized).png

oil (resized).pngoil (resized).png
#459 3 years ago

Well these turned out awesome...

Soft, good material, nice printing job, DOESN'T smell disgusting like many shirts I've bought. Calling this a win. Now I just need to pack and ship ~70 shirts x_x

FJIMG_20210128_182242 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210128_182242 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210128_182403 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210128_182403 (resized).jpg

sanic (resized).pngsanic (resized).png
#462 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Wait, you have no context so let me, elaborate.
1. Games were to start shipping next week.
2. ULC testing is still, in progress
3. BOM supplier selection is at 70%
4. Pinbar control lcd thing has no supplier sourced yet
5. Publicly announces games will start shipping in March.
They clearly forgot Lunar new year is in a week and that will impact any overseas supply.
No further gameplay updates to be posted until further notice.
So... yeah.
It could be worse if ur on either end of the deeproot thing.. as a customer, or employee. The only one winning is prob the guy that collected the cash on preorders.
In other news, you could line up this guy for some key call outs in the game:
https://www.gamesradar.com/sonic-voice-actor-leaves-role-after-10-years-sega-confirms/

Given their record I can't believe anyone bet on buying a RAZA being a good experience.

Gives me hope that if sonic gets produced it will sell for sure though...

#463 3 years ago

Shirts are packed up and will go out Friday

FJIMG_20210131_185830 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210131_185830 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210131_201733 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210131_201733 (resized).jpg
#465 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Someone had a productive weekend!
Can i ask a pinball champion a pinball question?
What is the most important thing that draws u to a game? Theme? Shots? Scoring? Depth?
I have a guilty pleasure of enjoying DE early 90s titles but dont know why they didnt make their different modes more linear, like in rocky and bullwinkle. Was this just to be different from williams at the time or to keep their short games from getting stale?
I got into pinball in 2015 and never knew this until getting a couple de games, LW3 and R&B.

At this point in my pinball career, I'm drawn to any game Ive never played. be it EM or brand new, if Ive never flipped it its my favorite game in the room. Second would be any homebrew machine. I love to see all the work and love that goes into people's basement creations. Even if it shot terribly and had crayon art I would love it. I would eagerly play a 10-year-old's pinbox 3000 if they were proud of it.

Once Ive been exposed to it, what will keep me there are the shots and the theme. Theme is weird because if I love the theme it will be a huge plus, but hating the theme is not a dealbreaker to me at all. If there was a Justin Bieber pin I would still play it if it shot well. Iron maiden is an amazing pin and I don't care at all about the theme. When these two things combine into a single game its a winner for sure. Shots is king for sure. If my design is fun to play with no art, rules, theme, music, or lights I have made a good game. This is what led me to finally build sonic, and its the reason I know I have at least 2 other good games to make after Sonic.

Scoring for me can only ever turn me off. No game has me drawn in for good scoring. However bad or confusing scoring can turn me off of a game. For example: I hate dialed in because the scoring is absurd. JJP games lose some enthusiasm for me in general because their scoring tends to be stupidly complicated. Oh yeah you did all the things, but you didn't do them in this specific mathematically optimal order so you have no points. Oh you had a shit game? well the two things you DID do were the perfect combination so you got 10x the score of your "good" game

Depth is another thing I find overrated. Its pinball. There is only so much to do on a playfield. Making me do those things in slightly different order so I can do some mode with a different name or video clip does nothing for me. If your game is fun to shoot, it doesn't need to be deep. I mean sure sometimes its fun to get lost exploring some of the more complex rules, but one of my favorite games is TNA. TNA is not deep. It doesn't have to be.

#466 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

At this point in my pinball career, I'm drawn to any game Ive never played. be it EM or brand new, if Ive never flipped it its my favorite game in the room. Second favorite is any homebrew machine. I love seeing the work and love that goes into peoples basement creations. Even if a homebrew shot terribly and had crayon art I would LOVE it. I would eagerly play a 10 year olds Pinbox 3000 if they were proud of it.

Once Ive been exposed to it, what will keep me there are the shots and the theme. Theme is weird because if I love the theme it will be a huge plus, but hating the theme is not a dealbreaker to me at all. If there was a Justin Bieber pin I would still play it if it shot well. Iron maiden is an amazing pin and I don't care at all about the theme. When these two things combine into a single game its a winner for sure. Shots is king for sure. If my design is fun to play with no art, rules, theme, music, or lights I have made a good game. This is what led me to finally build sonic, and its the reason I know I have at least 2 other good games to make after Sonic.

Scoring for me can only ever turn me off. No game has me drawn in for good scoring. However bad or confusing scoring can turn me off of a game. For example: I hate dialed in because the scoring is absurd. JJP games lose some enthusiasm for me in general because their scoring tends to be stupidly complicated. Oh yeah you did all the things, but you didn't do them in this specific mathematically optimal order so you have no points. Oh you had a shit game? well the two things you DID do were the perfect combination so you got 10x the score of your "good" game

Depth is another thing I find overrated. Its pinball. There is only so much to do on a playfield. Making me do those things in slightly different order so I can do some mode with a different name or video clip does nothing for me. If your game is fun to shoot, it doesn't need to be deep. I mean sure sometimes its fun to get lost exploring some of the more complex rules, but one of my favorite games is TNA. TNA is not deep. It doesn't have to be.

#469 3 years ago

I cant wait for that lego set

#470 3 years ago

I took a small break from Sonic this week, life has been difficult and I wasn't feeling it. I'll be working on plastics, and the apron shortly, but in the meantime I wanted to share this with you all. I'm really proud of it. It was really fun to just play.

Total Nuclear Annihilation Speedrun in 15:35 (WR)

#475 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

k..... well if this movie doesn't bomb, can we be assured this title is going to happen?
https://www.polygon.com/movies/2021/2/10/22276207/sonic-the-hedgehog-2-movie-tails-release-date-2022
if this is really in the spirit of 90s games, im really hoping the movie franchise doesn't tank it.
(I have a rocky and bullwinkle that is completely amazing and a lot of fun, but the 90's reboot didn't do the title any favors... other fave is Demolition man.. yeah... movie franchise kinda holds it back too...)

The timing of that movie release might increase the odds of SSB being produced. Sega would be all over the licensing if they were approached this year.

#476 3 years ago

Got back in the saddle yesterday after a week and a half struggling with Covid isolation and not being motivated. Tested apron/glass (they fit!) made templates for plastics, installed a new video card, and did a little spot welding demonstration. Forgot to take pictures. Here is the stream vod

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/909215024

#477 3 years ago

First batch of prototype plastics is complete. Made cardboard templates, scanned them next to a ruler, resized properly and traced them into CAD. Print them out and install! Worked perfectly.

Translite has arrived after being lost in the mail for almost a month. Installed backlighting tonight. Looks awesome.

I also wired up the flood lights so all that is standing between us and a VERY bright and colorful game is some code. I'm gonna add all the flood lights to the code and make a few attract mode shows to test it.

FJIMG_20210213_184035 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210213_184035 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210214_191058 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210214_191058 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210214_224323 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210214_224323 (resized).jpgImage (4) (resized).pngImage (4) (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#479 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Can I still get in on the shirt deal?

I have some left, and have to ship a few more out. So it looks like I'll be doing one last batch of late orders if you want in on it. PM me size, Shipping address, and qty

#481 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

So........Can we buy a translight too? That looks amazing, make great wall art.

I don't see why not? I could get more printed. Would be ~$150 each shipped.

#484 3 years ago

Lightshows!

I finally finished installing all the lights in the game while streaming the other night. Now after a brief battle with configuration, power requirements, and code its all working! I started with a few attract mode cycles to test it all out, but now I can make fancy light shows for everything! I'm going to have to cut the side rail light bars a bit shorter. There is a hardware limitation since I used RGBW LEDs instead of just RGB for the rails. They need 4 channels instead of the normal 3, so I can only use 48 lights per channel instead of the normal 64. This results in much better white for GI from the rails. Going to stream gameplay with some basic lighting code in place tomorrow night.

#491 3 years ago

Had a vaccinated friend over last night for some playtesting:

part 1: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/922139488
part 2: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/922489675

#495 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

the flow on this pf layout is great. i haven't played many tier 1 titles from the 90s but i'm really surprised something like this hasn't been done before. and i like the things about the red arrows and being penalized for those shots. Great work, it looks really fun to play.
One suggestion for the lLCD, can you make the screen transitions at the game selection to be a mosaic or pixelization, instead of a right to left wipe? just a humble suggestion that may fit the theme?

This suggestion falls under the "Yes I intend to do something like that, but it's such a low priority it won't be soon" I stopped noticing slide transitions a loooooong time ago

#496 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Great attract light show. Are you using the playfield as a monitor feature of MPF? You inspire me to do some coding this week.

No, I'm using the MPF lightshow creator made by Mark, maker of Nightmare before Christmas homebrew.

#497 3 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

One of the best light show I’ve seen so far and this include GnR. Really impressive. Amazing project, congrats !

Just getting started

#501 3 years ago
Quoted from sharkey1331:

McSquid - I wonder if it is possible to simulate some of the bonus games, like in Sonic 2 when Sonic runs through the course getting rings/avoiding bombs, or in Sonic 1 with the spinning areas... What you have looks really cool!

Get out of my mind. I literally made this 2 hours ago:

pipe (resized).pngpipe (resized).png
#502 3 years ago
Quoted from TheArrrrrcade:

MPF actually has a feature where you can map a "display" to your playfield lights instead of to a screen. This is a similar technique to what TNA uses. You can get much more dynamic light shows this way.

This is what I thought they were referring to. I may experiment with this, but im pretty sure I want to limit my additional use of the MC to avoid lag. I'm already planning on using 2 displays, for now ill stick with the show creator.

#503 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Get out of my mind. I literally made this 2 hours ago:[quoted image]

Tried it, don't like it. I'm gonna try again with the shot arrows left out of it. Confuses the player even when they know what's going on.

#506 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Does spooky manufacture with Fast? Not that switching over to multimorphic would be difficult. MPF wouldn't care either way.

Indeed. Mpf doesn't care. Would be an easy switch.

#507 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Tried it, don't like it. I'm gonna try again with the shot arrows left out of it. Confuses the player even when they know what's going on.

Remade this show leaving out the shot lights. I left the "data" lights in (act, emeralds) as the player doesn't look to them for instructions. I
LOVE the new show. It feels like you're traveling through the pipe. I'll post a video soon. Trying to come up with more clever light shows now.

#509 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Ive always liked the search light pattern from data easts lw3..
May be too antique for your build tho!!

can you find me a video? interested in any case

#513 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

You planning on a cup holder? [quoted image]

Every game needs a cup holder. I usually glue a promo plastic to a pingulp. I'm sure I can find something. Never again at a show though. I had a pingulp on my BK2K at a show, and every day it was full of trash by the end.

#514 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Some pattern ideas.

The search lights are cool. Could make those pretty easily. Thanks for making the video. Not really a fan of the "all on except a circle" pattern though.

#515 3 years ago

Tonight's stream:
https://www.twitch.tv/thecephalopod/v/933694931?sr=a&t=3031s

More lightshows, half of the light rails now color match GI, and the elephant in the room: Comprehensive Fission Devastation. Check it out!

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png
#517 3 years ago

Got some work done tonight. New right ramp designed and printing

Left side is the new "medium depth" ramp, less steep for fewer airballs, hopefully better geometry for forehand shots keeping momentum and giving good signpost hits. Not as drastic as the scrapped long ramp, I hope this design preserves the good backhand geometry (and actually fits ::fingers crossed:

I also made cardboard templates for another batch of plastics. Will trace those into CAD and print them this weekend. I'll stream if I have enough interesting things to work on.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png
#520 3 years ago
Quoted from MOSFET:

What type of filament are you using for your ramp prints?

I use PETG filament.

Just finished the 15 hour print for the ramp, only to have it shatter while trying to remove the support material. Enraging, but it's my fault for not throwing away the brittle spool of PETG when I discovered it. Trying again with what I THINK is good PETG

FJIMG_20210306_021359 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210306_021359 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210306_122308 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210306_122308 (resized).jpg
#523 3 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I don't know much about 3d printers so maybe a stupid question, but will a printed ramp really hold when being bashed by a heavy metal ball? Those standing plastic edges at the entrance will be hit hard and often while playing.
Or just for prototyping and you will make metal ramps later on?

All 3D printed parts in the game are temporary. We are still working on a prototype after all. However, Im using the same material vaccuformed pinball ramps are made of, The right ramp im replacing held up to ~4 ish months of punishment before cracking. Planning on doing metal ramps but I may end up going plastic on the right for visibility.

#526 3 years ago

It was a "put on headphones and get to work" kind of day.
New stuff:

- An apron that fits (finally!)

- Remaining obvious plastics complete. Some multi tier plastics still waiting

- New medium length right ramp (with metal protectors)

- Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails toys (tails is flying!)

I love the way it looks. I only got to test the right ramp for a few minutes, but It needs tweaking. I think it can work though. I might need to move/adjust the left return ramp to make more room. The right ramp really wants to turn a bit to the left and it cant since the return ramp is in the way. The return ramp needs to pass over the ramp stop however, so I may have to see if I can move it to get everything flowing the way I want.

I'll probably do a playtest stream Monday or Tuesday night. I wanted to do a shop stream but I'm happy to just have made progress.

FJIMG_20210307_204857 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204857 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204903 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204903 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204927 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204927 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204938 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204938 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204944 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204944 (resized).jpg
#528 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

No Amy Rose? :p

I do have an amy figure, just don't know where to put her yet.

#529 3 years ago

I don't have any pictures, but I did some "interactive" light shows today. Little things that happen as you do things on the playfield.

- Sling hit
- Loop charge and release
- Scoop eject
- Boss hit

Still got more to do, but it's a good start. I'll stream it when I get the bandwidth/energy. Going through some tough stuff, but doing OK.

#530 3 years ago

Today:

More light shows:

- Use shield
- Pop hit (need to install light)
- Boss explode

Redid some old light shows to reflect actual real life rail light positions (which are also fixed)

Finally fixed lightning shield
- Infinite center saves --> 3 charges
- Finished adding "ring magnet" effect. Will now collect rings from the shot hit and the shots next to it. (proud of this since I basically rewrote the entire rings code and it worked perfectly on the first try)

L-O-O-P slide/sound effect finally added for light loop award

Gonna stream tonight at ~8:30 EST. so we can test out all the new stuff. Might turn into a tech stream (moving left return, install pop light) if i hate the right ramp.

#533 3 years ago

Sorry I forgot to post the link! Here is the vod from the stream!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/944775554

#534 3 years ago

a few code updates/fixes I accomplished in the past few days:

- Shoot again light general wonkiness should be fixed. Should function correctly in all modes...I hope.
- Mania multiball music now random of 3 tracks (im sure you guys were also getting tired of that one)
- Mania multiball jackpots are now progressive (+5% for each scored)
- lightning shield "charges" light should be fixed
- Switch (quick) multiball is now an add-a-ball and jackpots are more valuable
- Loop award "next award" list fixed. Now lines up with what you actually get
- Extra balls are now properly handled.
- Extra ball on ball 1 no longer soft locks the game
- Shoot again show added
- Lots of little bugs discovered during game streams have been fixed. (I.E. I actually went through my bug notes)

I'm gonna do a tech stream this weekend. Move left return lane, try another right ramp. Not sure if it will be Saturday or Sunday night. Ill make sure I post here when I know.
Stream audio quality has been drastically increased as well

#535 3 years ago

Streaming tonight at 8pm EST. Lets tetris some ramps

https://www.twitch.tv/thecephalopod

#536 3 years ago

pushing it back until the TTI stream is over. probably ~ 9-9:30

492 posts in this topic match your search for posts by McSquid. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider McSquid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-the-hedgehog-spinball?tu=McSquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.