PXL_20220429_145123322 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220429_145333624 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220415_185521525 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220409_162948018 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220409_230452143 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220411_155848571 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220410_024308459 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 1,171 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 24.
#301 3 years ago

Love the sign. We need more ramp spinners!

#302 3 years ago
Quoted from sparksterz:

Oh, I see. That makes a lot more sense. Now just make sure it stays under the glass when raised!

I measured before I built it and the loop is significantly taller (which also fits) It will be interesting making the final version fit, but I think I'll get it.

#303 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Prototype Signpost is done. I'm I'm waiting on some parts to make the pull down post part work. My post wasn't nearly long enough. Held on with rubbers right now haha.
I got a TON of parts and stuff in today. Lots more to come.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That’s brilliant!

#304 3 years ago

Can't wait to show my daughter the signpost, she's going to love that! Keep it up man!

#305 3 years ago

Number 1 suggestion I get for sonic (multiple times a week) is "Why not use a blue ball?"

Answer: There is only 1 source I am aware of for colored balls:
https://shop.modmypin.com/index.php
They are expensive, and I have been told they don't hold up for regular play. If you wanna contact them and first convince them to sell you a set of mixed colors (they come in sets of 4 same color. I would need 1 Blue, 1 Red, 1 Yellow, and 1 Pink) and second pay the $50 a set they cost just for science be my guest =P

#306 3 years ago

Yeah glo balls stink. They get dirty really quick and the plastic coating rips off not long after.

Bally made Goldball with an anodized (?) gold colored ball. It'd be so fun if a pin had different colored balls and could tell them apart. PinballFX has a few virtual pins that toy with the idea and possibilities.

#307 3 years ago

I'd chip in to get you some blue balls.

#308 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I'd chip in to get you some blue balls.

Hold off on that I may have someone who can actually get me some of the williams prototype blue powerballs

#309 3 years ago

This is exciting. It's bigger than the one I had planned on using, so I'm a little worried it won't fit. But this thing is plug and play with windows, meaning I can put whatever I want on it, not just a slide show as previously planned. I expect lots of information to go on the screen.

FJIMG_20201214_122946 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201214_122946 (resized).jpg
#310 3 years ago

Example of information that can be displayed. So far the list is:

Animals
Locks
Boss HP?
Score slides?
Feature lit alert
Elemetal shield cycle (original purpose)
Mystery lit (original purpose)
Zone goal

Not sure what will make the cut, but lots can be done with this thing...now I just gotta figure out how to make it fit x_x

FJIMG_20201214_160340 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201214_160340 (resized).jpg

#311 3 years ago

Nice! Maybe you can embed it in the apron. This way it’s easy to see and you don’t have to get rid of anything.

Quoted from McSquid:

Example of information that can be displayed. So far the list is:
Animals
Locks
Boss HP?
Score slides?
Feature lit alert
Elemetal shield cycle (original purpose)
Mystery lit (original purpose)
Zone goal
Not sure what will make the cut, but lots can be done with this thing...now I just gotta figure out how to make it fit x_x
[quoted image]

#312 3 years ago

The whole point of the mini screen is to be a power up TV. So I want it to go above the scoop. Apron doesn't help if you ask me. I still can't see it while playing without taking my eye off the ball.

#313 3 years ago

Second portion of the signpost is prototyped. Works great! Now I just need to redo the first sign to spin on a #8 screw instead of a #6 screw. I've ordered new bearings and redesigned the 3D printed part. Once they arrive I can combine the two prototypes into something fully functional. Gotta hook up another driver board to run it as the others are full.

FJIMG_20201215_192751 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201215_192751 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201215_192753 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201215_192753 (resized).jpg
#314 3 years ago

The Signpost Spinner is complete! Fully functional, fully beautiful. Here are some videos of the finished product:

Making a brand new type of spinner:

So as I posted before I started playing around with designs and parts this week. My shaft parts came in and I was able to make a rather elegant mechanism. Today the bearings arrived and I put together the new design. It worked VERY well. The small pegs on the sides and longer metal contacts eliminate stuck balls. I have to TRY to get the ball stuck and even then it just gets stuck on the switch, not the spinner.

So now that I know it works it's time to make a pretty one. I printed the spinner with ABS plastic so I could use a finishing method called vapor smoothing.

Basically you boil some acetone and allow the vapor to surround your part. This melts the outer layers of the plastic, creating a smooth shiney finish. It's a bit more complex than that and timing is critical, but I'm practiced so it was no problem. After that I needed to make the final decals. I printed extras before, now I layered mylar over the images and cut them out. I applied them like cabinet decals using a plastic razor blade to make sure it has a good bond and no bubbles. The label paper doesn't have great adhesion, but the signpost is smooth now, so it accepts the sticker without protest.

Put it all together, then I needed to add another FAST driver board because I didn't have anymore drivers available on the other 2. I also plan to have a coil for the Robotnik toy, so I needed to use one anyways. Pretty easy to install. Quick code change and it was working fine. I spent a half hour fine tuning it, Reducing vibrations, dialing in the power levels, and adding it to the game code. I'm very happy with the results. I'm gonna need to think of more ways to play with it. I'm thinking sign juggling mode. We shall see.

FJIMG_20201218_214527 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_214527 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_214535 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_214535 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_214749 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_214749 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_215925 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_215925 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223854 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223854 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223902 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223902 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223948 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223948 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223952 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201218_223952 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201219_001948 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201219_001948 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201219_002151 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201219_002151 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20201219-015953 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201219-015953 (resized).png

#315 3 years ago

New experimental long right ramp. May help with airballs, ball speed on signpost spinner, and visibility. printing overnight.

132303045_764701236423_596193695647064513_o (resized).jpg132303045_764701236423_596193695647064513_o (resized).jpg
#316 3 years ago

You could also do what the Getaway does on its Uturn, a piece of plexi/lecan above it.

UTURN (resized).pngUTURN (resized).png

#317 3 years ago

This build is amazing! Kudos @mcsquid!

#318 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

You could also do whgat the Getaway does on its Uturn, a piece of plexi/lecan above it.
[quoted image]

planning on doing this anyways, but would like it to not be a crutch. Ramp geometry is more difficult than I and no doubt many others would think. I'm learning a lot from them.

#319 3 years ago

I was recently interviewed about Sonic Spinball on the Kaneda Pinball Podcast. Check it out here!

https://soundcloud.com/kanedapinball/episode-545-sonics-homebrew-hero

#320 3 years ago

I've never enjoyed an episode of the K man podcast more!

#321 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

I was recently interviewed about Sonic Spinball on the Kaneda Pinball Podcast. Check it out here!
https://soundcloud.com/kanedapinball/episode-545-sonics-homebrew-hero

I’m new to your thread here and just wanted to say, love what you’re doing, it looks amazing so far! I hope one of the manufacturers picks you up and puts this thing into production so we can all enjoy it. I would definitely buy it.

I’m going to read through the entire thread tonight hopefully or tomorrow but I can’t wait to see this thing finished and what you’re able to pull off here besides all the awesome stuff you have already. Truly amazing what you’ve been able to do in one year! Keep up the great work!

#322 3 years ago

+1 vote on Home Brew.

#323 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

I’m new to your thread here and just wanted to say, love what you’re doing, it looks amazing so far! I hope one of the manufacturers picks you up and puts this thing into production so we can all enjoy it. I would definitely buy it.
I’m going to read through the entire thread tonight hopefully or tomorrow but I can’t wait to see this thing finished and what you’re able to pull off here besides all the awesome stuff you have already. Truly amazing what you’ve been able to do in one year! Keep up the great work!

Thanks for checking it out! I hope you enjoy the process. Even if it doesnt get picked up i hope to bring it to as many shows around the country as I can. So hopefully everyone will get a chance to play.

#324 3 years ago

So as you guys may know, I post about Sonic in a lot of places, specifically on Facebook etc. but I always post MORE here, they get all the finished product photos, you get the process as well. I like to give those who are big enough fans to actually follow the build thread some extra stuff once in a while. So here is the first of three secret games in SSB: Ristar.

Not sure how many of you are familiar with Ristar and his game, but it was made by some of the same people who made the early sonic games. Its much slower. The game isn't about speed at all, with an emphasis on platforming and its grab mechanic. However its very similar to the early sonic games in several ways; 2 acts called "rounds" per world with a boss at the end, various colorful locations, excellent music, etc. Ristar also has a special place in my heart, and it fits so well that I had to include it.

But its secret so don't tell anyone! You are going to have to enter a code to unlock it. Pretty sure I will add hints somewhere in the game or attract mode.

ristar1 (resized).pngristar1 (resized).pngristar2 (resized).pngristar2 (resized).pngristar 3 (resized).pngristar 3 (resized).png

#325 3 years ago

Just listened to the Kaneda interview on Sonic........Fantastic job Ryan! What a great guest, what a great interview! I knew very little about this game up until now, I am so impressed! Keep up the great work! I am hooked!

#326 3 years ago

Does stern still have some rights to sonic in pinball?

#327 3 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Does stern still have some rights to sonic in pinball?

still? did they ever?

#328 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

still? did they ever?

They owned Sega pinball. Think Baywatch, Batman Forever, etc. Good question if they still do.

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from maffewl:

They owned Sega pinball. Think Baywatch, Batman Forever, etc. Good question if they still do.

Oh, Well I imagine since Sega never made a Sonic pinball, that would not have been part of Sega's pinball division. Also, Sega would never sell rights to Sonic in any form. They would only license them.

#330 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Oh, Well I imagine since Sega never made a Sonic pinball, that would not have been part of Sega's pinball division. Also, Sega would never sell rights to Sonic in any form. They would only license them.

Well sonic was the on the flippers / dmd art / some boards. So what usage rights does stern still have to sonic in pinball if any? Do they have have right of first refusal for any real full size sonic based pinball based pinball game?

And an sequel to the movie is in the works will that have any issues with licensing of this game?

#331 3 years ago

Well sonic was the on the flippers / dmd art / some boards. So what usage rights does stern still have to sonic in pinball if any? -
Sega can put Sonic anywhere they want. Sonic is a registered trademark. There is no possible way any rights to Sonic could have possibly been part of that deal.

Do they have have right of first refusal for any real full size sonic based pinball based pinball game? - How could they? Unless that was specifically written somewhere in a document from when they took over SPD this would be impossible to prove. Why would this have been written in? A hypothetical game that no one has made?

And an sequel to the movie is in the works will that have any issues with licensing of this game? - No. That isn't how licensing works.

#332 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Even if it doesnt get picked up i hope to bring it to as many shows around the country as I can.

Not only is the game very much welcome at Pintastic New England, but we give major Bonus Points for homebrew games. Plus, we have a panel discussion featuring homebrew game creators most years. Furthermore, we get top executives from the pinball factories in attendance, which is how Joel de Guzman got connected with American Pinball.
.................David Marston

#333 3 years ago
Quoted from dmarston:

Not only is the game very much welcome at Pintastic New England, but we give major Bonus Points for homebrew games. Plus, we have a panel discussion featuring homebrew game creators most years. Furthermore, we get top executives from the pinball factories in attendance, which is how Joel de Guzman got connected with American Pinball.
.................David Marston

I would never miss a Pintastic. Don't worry

#334 3 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone!

Got these neopixel sticks online to experiment with. Made some mounting brackets and installed them in all the main mode shot inserts. Now we can have light shows within a single insert! Does a great job of getting the players attention, and allows the main mode shot lights to be SUPER bright if all turned on at once.

FJIMG_20201225_185222 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201225_185222 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201225_185234 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201225_185234 (resized).jpg
#335 3 years ago

That’s super cool. Merry Christmas

#336 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Got these neopixel sticks online to experiment with. Made some mounting brackets and installed them in all the main mode shot inserts. Now we can have light shows within a single insert! Does a great job of getting the players attention, and allows the main mode shot lights to be SUPER bright if all turned on at once.

Now that's innovation! Get me a Sonic over RAZA!

#337 3 years ago

This game just keeps getting better. I really hope a manufacturer contacts you to make a production run.

#338 3 years ago
Quoted from GreenMachine19:

Now that's innovation! Get me a Sonic over RAZA!

Don't think I'm being innovative with this one. I'm almost positive I'm copying some other game with this idea I just can't recall which.

#339 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Merry Christmas everyone!

Brilliant!

Love this build.

#341 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Don't think I'm being innovative with this one. I'm almost positive I'm copying some other game with this idea I just can't recall which.

It made me think of Hot Wheels. Some other games have two bulbs under inserts, but not used for an effect like that (to my knowledge)

#342 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It made me think of Hot Wheels. Some other games have two bulbs under inserts, but not used for an effect like that (to my knowledge)

Yeah I remembered it was hotwheels I saw it on. I actually mentioned that in the stream video I just posted.

#343 3 years ago

Also caught your insightful interview on the podcast. I do light machine tinkering and just recently started.enjoying playing games vs restoring them...

What should have also been mentioned that there is a huge 90s tie in here with how you've intended the game is designed similar to a 90s era game, when sega was hyper aggressive in their marketing vs ninny, and u captured that same attitude in your game flyer. Stuff like this just cant be manufactured unless you remember the, 'sega does what Nintendon't" hypetrain and its so awesome you even managed to capture that intangible detail in the spirit of your build.

Its like the more i read about new.games like aiq and how theme integration feels weak af and as much as a nib is cool, it looks like any theme could have landed on that pf.

Super excited to see this continue to progress and Excuse me as i get back to playing my rocky and bullwinkle....

PS. Please incorporate some 90s styling queues to the cabinet somehow... I cant call out what exactly...

#344 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

PS. Please incorporate some 90s styling queues to the cabinet somehow... I cant call out what exactly...

The cabinet design is very 90s. Tons of 90s cabs were just a massive logo and a simple background. In my case I went with the classic Sega Genesis black grid that they used on many of their cartridge boxes

#345 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

The cabinet design is very 90s. Tons of 90s cabs were just a massive logo and a simple background. In my case I went with the classic Sega Genesis black grid that they used on many of their cartridge boxes

Indeed, this was immediately recognizable and absolutely perfect.

We love the spinning sign, so glad to see that worked in there. Looking forward to listening to the interview, been busy with the holidays and stuff. As usual, keepnup the great work!

#346 3 years ago

This game looks amazing!

Watched about 45 minutes of the stream, on my phone, but I’ll watch the whole stream later tonight on my tv!

Man it looks good.... those multiball modes look fast and look like a lot of fun. Super loop mode is awesome bonus slots is so cool! Great work!!!!

On the T-shirt’s.... why wait fir the shows??? Have some made up and sell them here to help fund your work? I’d be in for one for sure and maybe more!

#347 3 years ago

Im in for a shirt.

#348 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

This game looks amazing!
Watched about 45 minutes of the stream, on my phone, but I’ll watch the whole stream later tonight on my tv!
Man it looks good.... those multiball modes look fast and look like a lot of fun. Super loop mode is awesome bonus slots is so cool! Great work!!!!
On the T-shirt’s.... why wait fir the shows??? Have some made up and sell them here to help fund your work? I’d be in for one for sure and maybe more!

Not a bad Idea. I'll look into it.

#349 3 years ago

Soooo How many people would want to buy one of these at $20 with free shipping? Not exactly gonna fund anything with that $ but It would be cool to have them anyways?

preview (resized).jpgpreview (resized).jpg
#350 3 years ago

I’m in!

There are 1,171 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-the-hedgehog-spinball/page/7?hl=afinemoose and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.