PXL_20220429_145123322 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220429_145333624 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220415_185521525 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220409_162948018 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220409_230452143 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220411_155848571 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220410_024308459 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 1,171 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 24.
#201 3 years ago

Anyone have a spare orbit metal guide? The really long one? I'm tearing my WH20 down and realized this is the only metal guide Ive ever seen that is long enough to work with my home-brew game (Sonic the Hedgehog) Cant find it for sale anywhere.

#202 3 years ago

The homemade wpc95 guys use sendcutsend.com to have their ball guides laser cut. Then they bend the mounting tabs on a brake

#203 3 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

The homemade wpc95 guys use sendcutsend.com to have their ball guides laser cut. Then they bend the mounting tabs on a brake

Can confirm, using this on my current homebrew as well. Stainless .048" worked very well for my needs, very sturdy but still reasonably bendable in the shop.

I have a bunch of cutting templates and premade shapes in Inkscape, PM me if you want anything!

#204 3 years ago

Haven't read the whole thread but I grew up on Sonic so had a few ideas but maybe you're already there. For a wizard mode after collecting all chaos emeralds there should be super sonic mode. Thinking maybe a yellow ceramic ball gets released for that. I mean it'll be faster like super sonic. And if you make it through that then a way to collect the emeralds again but they'd be super emeralds. Get all those then a hyper sonic wizard mode with a sparkly yellow ceramic ball. You're probably way too far along in development for this but I figure go crazy and go all out. Either way can't wait to see the finished product.

#205 3 years ago

Oh and if you make it that far past all that.. a doomsday zone finale. Not everyone remembers that one. Sonic 3 lodged into the sonic and knuckles cart. If all super chaos emeralds were collected then after death egg was doomsday zone. The ultimate battle in space.

#206 3 years ago

Keith Elwin copied your ramp! Congratulations!

#207 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Keith Elwin copied your ramp! Congratulations!

More details please.

#208 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

More details please.

Just joking but the new Avengers has a fat ramp that you can hit from both lower flippers and the upper flipper just like Sonic. I think it’s a hell of a compliment even if it’s just a coincidence.

#209 3 years ago

Stern made Avengers twice? Lol.

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Just joking but the new Avengers has a fat ramp that you can hit from both lower flippers and the upper flipper just like Sonic. I think it’s a hell of a compliment even if it’s just a coincidence.

Wooooooow I thought you were talking about the loop-ish shot on the premium.

Cant help but feel that I should be listed in the credits for the new avengers pin =P

#211 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Wooooooow I thought you were talking about the loop-ish shot on the premium.
Cant help but feel that I should be listed in the credits for the new avengers pin =P

#212 3 years ago

It is a glorious day. I have finally ditched the laptop. Say hello to the "parts I found in the basement" PC. Total cost: $27 for a new SSD.

Game performs MUCH better. No more getting angry at Dropbox or choppy video playback!

I also added a metal guide inside the left ramp today. I was holding a piece of scrap rail and just noticed it would probably fit. Not really important to the final game, but makes the Whitewood shot better.

I have Animals/Badniks and Loop awards each 80% done and implemented. Just missing their multiballs (seems like everything has a multiball!) I'll post/stream them when they are done. Been struggling with Covid depression and haven't wanted to stream.

FJIMG_20200905_221835 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200905_221835 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200906_171928 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200906_171928 (resized).jpg
#213 3 years ago

This is astounding. Just read through the whole thread. Makes me wish I could build one too! Would look great next to my Sega Genesis kiosk lol. Might have to settle for the virtual pinball myself.

Hey, you gotta do you this crazy year. Don't feel guilty about not sharing as much. Everyone needs a break now and then.

2 weeks later
#214 3 years ago

I was just made aware of this thread.

This is nice.

Following.

#215 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I was just made aware of this thread.
This is nice.
Following.

Same! Nice work McSquid!

1 week later
#216 3 years ago

I FINALLY was able to start working on Sonic again today.
Ive been struggling a lot with depression over the last month or so and getting myself to work on projects has been difficult. Today I felt good for the first time in a while and was able to focus and create my most complicated animation yet! Enjoy!

#217 3 years ago

Really great animation! A lot to be depressed about these days. Take care of yourself! Love seeing the progress!

#218 3 years ago

Take care of yourself first and always! Animations and everything look awesome! I look forward to seeing more, but only when you're at a place to progress.

#219 3 years ago

This game gets better all the time! Depression sucks...hopefully the positive vibes coming your way from people praising this awesome game help! Keep up the amazing job! P.S. Them animations sweet!

#220 3 years ago

Yeah man keep up the good work! My daughter asks me about once a week if you've made any updates, so we're always checking in.

#221 3 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Yeah man keep up the good work! My daughter asks me about once a week if you've made any updates, so we're always checking in.

pretty sure your daughter is my favorite fan haha. hopefully I will have something for you to show her soon.

progress update:

Loop multiball is in the polishing stage, that will be loop awards done.
Badniks / animals is 80% done, just got to work through some animation slowdown issues, and make the badnik count actually do something. (end of ball bonus + a multiball planned)
I'm making a video this weekend to be shown at Pinball Expo next week!
Finally found someone to make the cabinet decals who will actually respond to messages. Should be ready in a few weeks.

#222 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

I'm making a video this weekend to be shown at Pinball Expo next week!

Awesome! Guess we'll "see" each other there, since I've got a video to be played there too. They tell me I'll be in the 4pm (central) Friday slot, but they haven't updated the schedule to reflect this yet, lol. I'll watch yours if you watch mine!

#223 3 years ago

Love this pin. Glad you’re feeling better.

#224 3 years ago

Sonic will be featured in the Pinball Expo stream!

I prepared a 15 minute video which will air during one of the homebrew blocks. Either 10PM EST Friday or 3PM EST Saturday. The video will go up on YouTube and be posted here afterwards in case you miss it.

https://www.twitch.tv/pinballexpo

#225 3 years ago

By Request: Ramp clip STL files

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4624821

#226 3 years ago

Holy crap guys look what I managed to get ahold of! Bought it yesterday. Arranging shipping!

Screenshot_20201015-021839 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201015-021839 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201015-105714 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201015-105714 (resized).png
#227 3 years ago

Yoooooo. Bet you could wire that in relatively easy.

#229 3 years ago

Well, apparently my video played on the Pinball Expo stream while I was asleep this morning. I figured they would play it during the homebrew block... Since it's a homebrew... but I guess not. Here is the video in case you missed it (like I did)

#230 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Well, apparently my video played on the Pinball Expo stream while I was asleep this morning. I figured they would play it during the homebrew block... Since it's a homebrew... but I guess not. Here is the video in case you missed it (like I did)

I really enjoyed watching that video.
Well done!

#231 3 years ago

This pinball machine is incredible. I look forward to more updates. Wow. Well done.

#232 3 years ago

Wow! Nice job! This is great, I hope to play it someday soon.

#233 3 years ago

This is really amazing. I have my own homebrew ideas, just not quite sure where to start with everything. I will be following this and really hope to play it one day in person.

#234 3 years ago

Really good presentation! I love this pin and everything about it. Grew up playing it on the genesis and spinball was one of my favorites. I loved that you could leave the oil tub below the flippers and move between playfields instead of draining. Not to mention the soundtracks in the game are sick. Your design....animations.... implementations of elements are spot on......keep up the amazing work!

#235 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Wow I really enjoyed that... brings back so many memories of how magical Sonic was when I first got a Sega Genesis back in the day for my kids.

There is no universe where this game should not be commercially produced! American Pinball seems like it would be a perfect fit for their next licensed title!

#236 3 years ago

These look niiiice

FJIMG_20201029_184032 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201029_184032 (resized).jpg
#237 3 years ago

Very nice indeed!

It's got that classic Sega-Genesis case feel!

(It kept referencing the genesis pinball without the hyphen in there)

#238 3 years ago

So apparently Sonic Spinball got a rather flattering shoutout in the latest episode of the Kaneda pinball podcast. Neat!

https://play.acast.com/s/kanedaspinballpodcast/tag%3Asoundcloud%2C2010%3Atracks%2F920649427

#239 3 years ago

Mention starts about 22 minutes in if you don’t want to listen to the whole podcast. I agree it would be a great title to get produced but I think the license is unlikely because of sega’s pinball past. But that’s why it’s smart to make it as a home brew. Doesn’t make sense to home brew something that will likely get made.

#240 3 years ago

I don't think it would be too hard to get the license. Sega licenses Sonic out for everything these days.

#241 3 years ago

McSquid, you’re amazing. Great work so far, top notch, really.

I so hope I can play it for real some day.

This is one of my dream themes. Honestly, been dreaming of it since I discovered home much I love pinball. You’re knocking it out of the park!

The super sonic idea with the yellow ceramic ball was a cool idea from a post above; idea: hard to hit captive ball; when hit, speed goes to max

(If you want to play Sega Genesis sonic spinball with out the cpu lag, the mister fpga project allows for the cpu lag to be fixed with a tweak inside the core options, just discovered this myself. It totally changes the game. I thought you might want to know in case you wanted some sweet lag free video from the game)

#242 3 years ago

Wow this looks amazing! Congrats! Take my money!

#243 3 years ago

Thank you for sharing this! Question (apologies if this was aleady discribed!): How are you doing the cad? Fusion360 it appears, but what license/version? Also, there is talk of overlaying VPX with MPF or something like that? What are those? Is VPX VisualPinball? Was there anything done so that you could export from your Visual Pinball model to Fusion? Or did you have to carefully start from scratch?

Can you tell us about the flow- did you have to move things slightly after initial build up to get the flow right? Or was it pretty much on the money? Looks like you farmed out the CNC routing work, or did you build/obtain your own? Last question: 3D print filament: ABS? PETG? PLA?

Thanks!

#244 3 years ago

Great work! Look forward to the next twitch stream of game play...
-mof

#245 3 years ago

Cabinet decals installed! Looks incredible! So glad I didn't spray the whole thing black. The blue peeking out here and there is awesome.

FJIMG_20201107_173840 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201107_173840 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201107_173846 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201107_173846 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201107_173854 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20201107_173854 (resized).jpg
#246 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Great work! Look forward to the next twitch stream of game play...
-mof

Soon. I've been trying to finish some other projects to get them out of my shop ASAP. I'm over capacity.

#247 3 years ago

Cabinet looks awesome man. Congrats!

#248 3 years ago

The blue is a great touch!

#249 3 years ago

Happy 1 year birthday to Sonic Spinball

Screenshot_20201113-093738 (resized).pngScreenshot_20201113-093738 (resized).png
#250 3 years ago

Made a shit ton of progress in just a year.

There are 1,171 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-the-hedgehog-spinball/page/5?hl=sparksterz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.