PXL_20220429_145123322 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220429_145333624 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220415_185521525 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220409_162948018 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220409_230452143 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220411_155848571 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220410_024308459 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 1,171 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 24.
#601 2 years ago

TWIPY has arrived! Thanks again everyone!

178059161_776975349003_6205558965763601858_n (resized).jpg178059161_776975349003_6205558965763601858_n (resized).jpg
#602 2 years ago

Way to go! Such a home run!!

#603 2 years ago

I just found this post from the TWIPY awards.
I wanted to congratulate McSquid and to thank him for
fallowing a target pinball rule that I have found always makes a good pinball.
History: I have found that sense Williams Black Knight, that a good pinball
--- layout has a 3-4-12 rule... or 4-3-12.
Your pinball layout fallows the later.
-----------------------------------------------------
1) The pinball playfield has 5 clusters of targets, in 3 position on the playfield.
--- That is a total of 15 primary targets to hit.
--- and a bit of extra room to add more stuff to sweeten the setup...
Again, congratulation on the TWIPY award and having a neat pinball layout.

#604 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

I just found this post from the TWIPY awards.
I wanted to congratulate McSquid and to thank him for
fallowing a target pinball rule that I have found always makes a good pinball.
History: I have found that sense Williams Black Knight, that a good pinball
--- layout has a 3-4-12 rule... or 4-3-12.
Your pinball layout fallows the later.
-----------------------------------------------------
1) The pinball playfield has 5 clusters of targets, in 3 position on the playfield.
--- That is a total of 15 primary targets to hit.
--- and a bit of extra room to add more stuff to sweeten the setup...
Again, congratulation on the TWIPY award and having a neat pinball layout.

I'm not sure I follow. Can you elaborate on what a "4-3-12" rule means?

#605 2 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

I'm not sure I follow. Can you elaborate on what a "4-3-12" rule means?

Simple multiplication... Williams Black knight has:
1) a 3 bank of drop targets...
2) multiply by the dispersion on the playfield...
[ Black Knight has 4 banks of drop targets dispersed on the playfield ]
3) equals the total...
-- Black Knight has a 3 bank D/T X 4 locations on the playfield = 12 targets to hit.
4) So Black Knight is a classic 3-4-12 layout.
OR a layout design can flip the ratio 4x3 = 12
The layout that you have fallows the 4-3-12 formula.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Look at the target setups on these two playfields, they meet the minimal formula and
where able to add a bit more....
A) High Speed 3-4-12
B) Torpedo Alley 3-4-12
In all, it is just my quirky target terminology/formula I realized many years ago.

#606 2 years ago

I'm not sure I'm following this 3-4-12 either, especially because:
1) you just said Sonic has 3 groups of 5 targets, which per your description would be a 5-3-15
2) High Speed has 5 groups of 3 targets (though two of these groups aren't "collectible", they're just hit-whichever-one-is-lit), which per your description is a 3-5-15.

I'm confused here.

#607 2 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

I'm not sure I'm following this 3-4-12 either, especially because:
1) you just said Sonic has 3 groups of 5 targets, which per your description would be a 5-3-15
2) High Speed has 5 groups of 3 targets (though two of these groups aren't "collectible", they're just hit-whichever-one-is-lit), which per your description is a 3-5-15.
I'm confused here.

The formula is for the bare minimal threshold.
Once a playfield meets the threshold the rest is just extra.
Another example is:
Premier/Gottlieb Hollywood Heat... 3-4-12.
Side note:
"High Speed has 5 groups of 3 targets" Answer; true. [ layout target threshold achieved + extra ]
"(though two of these groups aren't "collectible", they're just hit-whichever-one-is-lit)"
Answer; This comment is a rules comment, not a target layout.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Like I said above: "it is just my quirky target terminology/formula I realized many years ago".
Congratulation McSquid on your achievement.

#608 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The formula is for the bare minimal threshold.
Once a playfield meets the threshold the rest is just extra.
Another example is:
Premier/Gottlieb Hollywood Heat... 3-4-12.
Side note:
"High Speed has 5 groups of 3 targets" Answer; true. [ layout target threshold achieved + extra ]
"(though two of these groups aren't "collectible", they're just hit-whichever-one-is-lit)"
Answer; This comment is a rules comment, not a target layout.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Like I said above: "it is just my quirky target terminology/formula I realized many years ago".
Congratulation McSquid on your achievement.

Wow.... triple nerd score - I dig it.

#609 2 years ago

Life stuff is starting to settle down. Working on ball search right now. May is going to be the month of playtesting. I'm having as many (fully vaccinated) people over as possible for play-testing sessions. I'll be streaming them (at the guests discretion) and hopefully gathering a bunch of good data before It gets torn down for V2 in early June. leaves ~5 months to finish v2 before the show(s) For now its time to get that glass on. I'll probably be moving the game upstairs for the month, and if it goes REALLY well, a friend of mine wants to do a public location day that i may consider.

#610 2 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Life stuff is starting to settle down. Working on ball search right now. May is going to be the month of playtesting. I'm having as many (fully vaccinated) people over as possible for play-testing sessions. I'll be streaming them (at the guests discretion) and hopefully gathering a bunch of good data before It gets torn down for V2 in early June. leaves ~5 months to finish v2 before the show(s) For now its time to get that glass on. I'll probably be moving the game upstairs for the month, and if it goes REALLY well, a friend of mine wants to do a public location day that i may consider.

Very cool - hope to see it ‘in the plywood’ one day soon!

#611 2 years ago

Out of the dungeon!

FJIMG_20210501_152109 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210501_152109 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210501_160009 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210501_160009 (resized).jpg
#613 2 years ago

Getting some extremely valuable feedback from actual playtesting. Everyone likes it so far though. Really need to finish the badnik multiball so casuals can use the center toy. Turns out that 1 act is achievable for most skill levels so the signpost is good. I think once the playfield isn't warped, and the lower 3rd is reworked to be correct, that the average ball time will be long enough to make even 1 full zone casually achievable. Having some higher skilled pinball people over soon so going to get some more good feedback.

Some notes so far:

- Everyone loves the loop. So far no one cares that they don't shoot it directly.
- The sign post is more popular than I expected.
- The game is perfectly playable/approachable if you have no idea what is going on.
- Players don't notice the speed system. This should be fixed in v2 when they have a massive speed bar right in between the flippers. It happens by accident enough that its not a huge problem
- most of the issues identified are known issues that are planned to be fixed in v2 already (visibility to the upper rollovers, warped PF, wonky lower 3rd)
- players dont immediately recognize zone select, but eventually seem to find it. Once they scroll it once or twice they figure out what is going on right away
- no one understands Game select. going to add a desription
- no one looks at the LCD ever.
- one of my better players mentioned that they love that the upper flipper shots are generally safe so you can totally just go for them. also they felt it was easy to control shooting for the left orbit or ramp easily with the upper flipper
- my mom is better at pinball than I thought

Ive was about to give up on adding the mini LCD but I have reconsidered. I think it would work GREAT where knuckles currently sits...

#614 2 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

- no one looks at the LCD ever.

for all the complaining about what is on a lot of LCDs in newer machines, I fall into the never looks at the LCD.. unless stuff stops happening on the playfield and I need to look up to find out what's going on.

looking great, so much fun following along.

#615 2 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

for all the complaining about what is on a lot of LCDs in newer machines, I fall into the never looks at the LCD.. unless stuff stops happening on the playfield and I need to look up to find out what's going on.
looking great, so much fun following along.

Not complaining, just mostly noting that telling the player what they need to do on the LCD is not enough by itself. The lights need to do their job, the sounds need to back them up, and callouts are very helpful. Still hoping I can skip callouts, but I'm coming up with backup plans.

If most players were like you, and looked at the LCD when they didn't know what to do, everything would be great. Unfortunately they don't.

I'm gonna try to make the mini LCD idea work for this reason. People will actually read it on the playfield (I hope)

#616 2 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Not complaining, just mostly noting that telling the player what they need to do on the LCD is not enough by itself. The lights need to do their job, the sounds need to back them up, and callouts are very helpful. Still hoping I can skip callouts, but I'm coming up with backup plans.
If most players were like you, and looked at the LCD when they didn't know what to do, everything would be great. Unfortunately they don't.
I'm gonna try to make the mini LCD idea work for this reason. People will actually read it on the playfield (I hope)

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you were complaining, I was referring to all the people that complain about how awful the animations are on new machines, when as you noted people playing don't look at it. I think the complaining comes from all the stream watching where as an observer you have time to watch the lcd, and it is often more prominent/easily seen on the stream than the playfield.

#617 2 years ago

I feel like standardizing the idea of next shot instructions on a little lcd on the apron should be a ‘thing’ (like on JJP POTC). Even in the other JJP games with mini LCDs, I can’t look away from the flippers long enough to read instructions without losing track of the ball(s)…

Quoted from McSquid:

#618 2 years ago

Does the sign actually spin? Would be neat if that would be a spinner like the Totan lamp.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#619 2 years ago
Quoted from Bagdad:

Does the sign actually spin? Would be neat if that would be a spinner like the Totan lamp.
[quoted image]

#620 2 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

I feel like standardizing the idea of next shot instructions on a little lcd on the apron should be a ‘thing’ (like on JJP POTC). Even in the other JJP games with mini LCDs, I can’t look away from the flippers long enough to read instructions without losing track of the ball(s)…

JJP the screen is to big. Other then maybe when you hold the ball and have the player make choices on it.

#621 2 years ago

Amazing work, and i belive you can upgrade the design of the backglass, because i fell dont make justice to all of your work. Congrats

#622 2 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Amazing work, and i belive you can upgrade the design of the backglass, because i fell dont make justice to all of your work. Congrats

I am not an artist. Art is expensive. Maybe someday, but I'm going to focus my art budget on the playfield for now.

#623 2 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

I am not an artist. Art is expensive. Maybe someday, but I'm going to focus my art budget on the playfield for now.

Have you looked at fiverr.com? I had a logo made for my website and it cost $10 - and that was after a $5 tip. Https://www.flutterduck.com

#624 2 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Yes i understand that, maybe others or even me can help you with that... i mean... you deserved it man

#625 2 years ago

Minor thing that I should have done when wiring the cabinet is done now: proper handling of high voltage. The power board has a switch that you connect to your coin door switch that will kill the high voltage when open. typically during development this is just shorted with a jumper. I forgot to change this when wiring up the cab. The result was a ball search that would keep running as I lifted the PF, less safe to work on, etc. This is now fixed, and I have a switch input to MPF so I will be able to show a slide when the coin door is open. Its a little but important thing that took a bit of effort to get done.

Playtesting month continues, although with mothers day this weekend wont see any guests until next weekend.

I've been having more lighting bugs since i moved the game than ever before. ive replaced 5 light boards and a wire harness and STILL have intermittent lighting problems. getting frustrated. I bought a second fadecandy in case the first is dying. we shall see.

#626 2 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Minor thing that I should have done when wiring the cabinet is done now: proper handling of high voltage. The power board has a switch that you connect to your coin door switch that will kill the high voltage when open. typically during development this is just shorted with a jumper. I forgot to change this when wiring up the cab. The result was a ball search that would keep running as I lifted the PF, less safe to work on, etc. This is now fixed, and I have a switch input to MPF so I will be able to show a slide when the coin door is open. Its a little but important thing that took a bit of effort to get done.
Playtesting month continues, although with mothers day this weekend wont see any guests until next weekend.
I've been having more lighting bugs since i moved the game than ever before. ive replaced 5 light boards and a wire harness and STILL have intermittent lighting problems. getting frustrated. I bought a second fadecandy in case the first is dying. we shall see.

Coin door ball saver needed as well things like coin door disable tilt, etc

#627 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

Coin door ball saver needed as well things like coin door disable tilt, etc

Yup. many reasons to use that switch. "coin door open" is gonna be its own mode that does lots of stuff.

#628 2 years ago

Something small to check the "worked on something, at least for a few minutes" box

coin door (resized).pngcoin door (resized).png
#629 2 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Something small to check the "worked on something, at least for a few minutes" box
[quoted image]

you should have DR Robotnik laying on his stomach kicking and pounding the ground with big exaggerated tears coming out of his eyes as an animation and maybe sonic just waving his finger at him.

Peace
Buffett

#630 2 years ago

Can you throw in Pingas Robotnik as an easter egg maybe in a menu somewhere?

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/pingas

#631 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Can you throw in Pingas Robotnik as an easter egg maybe in a menu somewhere?
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/pingas

We have Sonic Says, I'll add a rare "I hate that hedgehog!" to the boss explode show

#632 2 years ago
Quoted from Buffett:

you should have DR Robotnik laying on his stomach kicking and pounding the ground with big exaggerated tears coming out of his eyes as an animation and maybe sonic just waving his finger at him.
Peace
Buffett

I feel that effort would be better spent elsewhere. I already felt silly animating this slide (the tesla coils)

#633 2 years ago

I'm revisiting the mini LCD after play testing. I think I'm going to evict Knuckles from the back corner. Maybe he will go behind the loop. Got a nice basic information loop going. I'll add more and hopefully make it more reactive but I'm mostly hoping players actually look at it.

Gonna design and 3D print the frame soon. Not sure what I'll use for glass/protection...maybe I have some thin acrylic hanging around.

#634 2 years ago

Looks kind of good there. The base hangs off the wall but I don't really care.

FJIMG_20210514_230231 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210514_230231 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210514_230722 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210514_230722 (resized).jpg
#635 2 years ago

I got tracking info for the Robotnik toy I ordered almost a year ago! Should have it within the week! I'm gonna miss the sharpie death star though.

1 week later
#636 2 years ago

Play testing continues. The mini LCD has been a godsend for adding instructions that the player actually reads. I'll take video of it in action tonight.

I've come across a problem where the game crashes after an hour or so of being on. I've been working with Aaron from FAST and Jan of MPF to pin down that's going wrong. Based on the symptoms I assumed it was heat related. I added an exaust fan to the cabinet which lowered temps a lot, but didn't fix the issue. If I can fix this, the game has been pretty solid. I'm going to put it on location for a two night event at a friend's new bar (supervised) we shall see.

My Artist Amber has started working on the new centerpiece. They have asked that I not share the sketches yet until they have something they are happier with, then I can share them all to show progression. All I can say is that I am very excited!

Robotnik toy should be here Tuesday. It's in Fed-Ex's hands. Can't wait.

#637 2 years ago

Had a real treat delivered yesterday. The Super Sonic Jackpot arcade sign. I looked for this for a few years after finding it in an archived sales flyer on the internet. I was unable to even find proof that it actually existed during that entire time searching. I couldn't even find a single picture of one. Then randomly one night at 2am I was scrolling through FB marketplace and there it was. I payed for it before even knowing where it was. I didn't care. I'd figure it out. For all I know it's the only one in existence. After 6+ months in shipping hell, it finally arrived today thanks to Grab and Go Gaming.

It's not in the best shape. Sonic himself broke off long ago as it stuck out above the sign. There are some major gouges and scraping on the art. Unfortunately the art decal is on the outside of the acrylic and unprotected. Luckily however the acrylic is not cracked/broken as I originally thought. I'll likely be airbrush restoring it as best I can.

The back panel was locked with two locks. Luckily I dabble in lockpicking and had them both open in about 15 minutes. On the inside it's in excellent shape. All boards and wiring are clean. I found what appears to be an optional darkened acrylic piece for if the display it too bright.

Having found the boards in better shape than I expected, I decided to test it. Wire brushed the plug, and fired it up. Nothing. As I expected. I continued to poke around at it and noticed that the boards did light up when I powered it on. I found a button on the main board labeled "reset" and gave it a poke. The sign sprang to life! It works!

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it. I hope to find a way to Interface with the display. But it's a super cool piece of arcade history and I'll do my best to restore it for sure.

I let the Grab and Go boys have a few rounds in the arcade too. Highly recommended for fast arcade and Pinball shipping all throughout the US

FJIMG_20210520_204030 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_204030 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_204038 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_204038 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_204043 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_204043 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_204048 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_204048 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_204053 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_204053 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_204058 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_204058 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_204138 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_204138 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205403 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205403 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205544 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205544 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205547 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205547 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205552 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205552 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205557 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205557 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205621 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205621 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205635 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205635 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205655 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_205655 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_210632 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210520_210632 (resized).jpg
#638 2 years ago

Maybe you could use it as a topper. It could display a progressive jackpot value for points/rings/whatever.

#639 2 years ago

Thats a cool piece

#640 2 years ago

What he said. ^^ But what was it used for originally?

#641 2 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Maybe you could use it as a topper. It could display a progressive jackpot value for points/rings/whatever.

That was the original plan but the thing is over 4 feet long

It was originally a topper that spanned 3+ sonic coin roller games

16005101 (resized).jpg16005101 (resized).jpg16005102 (resized).jpg16005102 (resized).jpg
#642 2 years ago

I have the exact same starters lockpick set.

#643 2 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I have the exact same starters lockpick set.

I lost my old set and these seemed perfectly serviceable. I was happy with the multiple tension tools. I bought 5 lbs of assorted locks on eBay to practice. Though these didn't require much skill.

#644 2 years ago

I guess you’ll just have to make a companion Miles “Tails” Prower edition, code Fastbreak like link play, and span it over the two.

#645 2 years ago

Crashing problems persist. I have a 100+ message thread trying to track down the issue.

I noticed that it didn't crash for 9 hours when the coin door was open. Then crashed in an hour once it was closed. So either the high voltage is causing problems or it's still a heat thing. The delay suggests heat so I added an intake fan near the front. Not my best work but it will serve. Should have a nice air cycle now of fresh air blowing across the computer and components and going out the back. If this doesn't solve it, time to look at the high voltage.

FJIMG_20210526_122202 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210526_122202 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210526_123151 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210526_123151 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210526_123835 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210526_123835 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210526_123844 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210526_123844 (resized).jpg
#646 2 years ago

Rule cards!

FJIMG_20210526_171717 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210526_171717 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210526_171721 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210526_171721 (resized).jpg
#647 2 years ago

You're running Python on Windows right? If so i would recommend trying CPUID HWMonitor to do a temperature test with the cabinet door closed vs. open to see if anything is overheating. Temperatures on any of the sensors of 80 degrees C or higher would not be normal.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

#648 2 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

You're running Python on Windows right? If so i would recommend trying CPUID HWMonitor to do a temperature test with the cabinet door closed vs. open to see if anything is overheating. Temperatures on any of the sensors of 80 degrees C or higher would not be normal.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Already did exactly this. Temps seemed fine after adding the exhaust fan. hottest thing was 60c on one of the cpu cores. Worried about temps that aren't part of the computer mostly.

#649 2 years ago

it bothers me that there are no periods on any of those rules.

it looks so off.

grammar is NOT my strong suite but that just gets me.

Peace
Buffett

#650 2 years ago

how old is the MB and how are the caps?

There are 1,171 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-the-hedgehog-spinball/page/13?hl=mcsquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.