Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 685 posts
  • 112 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by McSquid
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FJIMG_20210615_200501 (resized).jpg
    FJIMG_20210606_212227 (resized).jpg
    FJIMG_20210606_212221 (resized).jpg
    FJIMG_20210606_202626 (resized).jpg
    FJIMG_20210606_194325 (resized).jpg
    FJIMG_20210606_181151 (resized).jpg
    FJIMG_20210606_181141 (resized).jpg
    FJIMG_20210606_171717 (resized).jpg
    FJIMG_20210606_170440 (resized).jpg
    FJIMG_20210606_164115 (resized).jpg
    FJIMG_20210606_154530 (resized).jpg
    FJIMG_20210606_125656 (resized).jpg
    FJIMG_20210606_122247 (resized).jpg
    FJIMG_20210606_115524 (resized).jpg
    FJIMG_20210606_114532 (resized).jpg
    FJIMG_20210606_114510 (resized).jpg

There are 685 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 14.
    #551 3 months ago

Ah, yeah putting it so recessed in there probably opens up a lot of room for that shot.

#552 3 months ago
    Quoted from sparksterz:

Ah, yeah putting it so recessed in there probably opens up a lot of room for that shot.

I might scoot the target a little more. I AM trying to make an easy game after all.

#553 3 months ago

This is just a suggestion, so please tell me to go to hell if you'd like. For your wireforms, instead of a half ring, why not use a full ring around the entire thing? Simulate a ring from the game. You could even get fancy and powered coat them yellow/gold. I know the wireforms are already build, but it seems like something that should be there as the ball speeds through back to the flippers.

#554 3 months ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

This is just a suggestion, so please tell me to go to hell if you'd like. For your wireforms, instead of a half ring, why not use a full ring around the entire thing? Simulate a ring from the game. You could even get fancy and powered coat them yellow/gold. I know the wireforms are already build, but it seems like something that should be there as the ball speeds through back to the flippers.

This is what the ball should see coming down those habitrails...

RL8YS (resized).png

#555 3 months ago

Pain is temporary. Glory is forever! I took the dremel to my beautiful creation! This was sort of always the plan but I was too scared it would ruin it. The new position of the return ramp caused some issues with the boss toy, so I decided to finally cut the ramp down. In addition to improved visibility, it allowed me to correct the issue. I stress tested it by hitting it as fast and hard as possible and was only able to get one ball to jump the ramp. The success rate is high enough I'm calling it a win.

FJIMG_20210320_175907 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210320_180125 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210320_185053 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210320_185209 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210320_185214 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210320_185217 (resized).jpg
    #556 3 months ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

I've heard this suggestion a few times. It's a good one, but I just don't think it would look as cool as everyone thinks it would. Also, rings are part of the rules so it would be sort of inconsistent.

#557 3 months ago
    Quoted from McSquid:

Pain is temporary. Glory is forever!

Marble Machine X reference?

Your machine is looking awesome!!!

#558 89 days ago
    Quoted from MOSFET:

Marble Machine X reference?
    Your machine is looking awesome!!!

Yup, MMX updates make my day and constantly inspire/motivate me to keep going. Gotta work on that redundancy

#559 89 days ago

Have I gone crazy (or maybe you explain this earlier...) But, are those Sonic head logos on your flipper bats, instead of the Williams W?

#560 89 days ago
    Quoted from sharkey1331:

Have I gone crazy (or maybe you explain this earlier...) But, are those Sonic head logos on your flipper bats, instead of the Williams W?

Those are indeed sonic heads. NOS Sega flippers from pinball life.

#561 89 days ago

Don't know why, but I felt like busting out the airbrush today. It was an interesting stencil job, I screwed up a few times and the clear wrinkled the paint some. I will have to redo it eventually but it came out pretty nice.

FJIMG_20210321_180836 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210321_185124 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210321_190930 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210321_193900 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210321_234811 (resized).jpg
    #562 88 days ago

Pop looks great. Gotta remove/replace that blue connector plastic so you can see it better from the players position

#563 88 days ago

Amazing job on the pop bumper caps, man, they look perfect!

#564 88 days ago

What leds are you using in the pop bumpers? Looks pretty bright! The caps look fantastic as well

#565 88 days ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

What leds are you using in the pop bumpers? Looks pretty bright! The caps look fantastic as well

I am using a 7 LED cluster from adafruit. The white coat base on the cap diffuses the light quite well.

#566 88 days ago

McSquid I'm so interested and excited by the design of this game that I actually started reading about Visual Pinball. I read through multiple tutorials, signed up for multiple VP webforums just so that I could install a pin emulator and download your table to try. I won't lie, it took me a few fumbled attempts but I finally managed to have your table load up and play it on my laptop.

I played it for 2 hours straight. It sucked me in completely. I was playing it on my laptop using the left/right shift keys to control the flippers, so I wasn't exactly getting the full experience but I still kept on playing and playing. Your use of sound is fantastic. It was so awesome to hear those familiar Sonic sounds used in perfect locations around the playfield. The physics of the game in VPX are not exactly perfect but that didn't stop me from playing. I had an absolute blast. I only made it to Dr. Robotic once (maybe twice) and finished only a couple levels. That right ramp shot is difficult in VPX, but enjoyable. The loop is a blast, and I even like the hole over on the right by the shooter lane. Just a great, great design. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for uploading it!

Are there any plans to update the VP table with the updates you are showing here? Updated ramp shapes, DMD animations? I couldn't get the DMD working last night, but I honestly didn't try hard. I just wanted to play.

Congrats on your design. I really hope someone contacts you and picks it up for production. The concept is fantastic. It would blow the Mario Bros. table out of the water!

#567 87 days ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

McSquid I'm so interested and excited by the design of this game that I actually started reading about Visual Pinball. I read through multiple tutorials, signed up for multiple VP webforums just so that I could install a pin emulator and download your table to try. I won't lie, it took me a few fumbled attempts but I finally managed to have your table load up and play it on my laptop.
    I played it for 2 hours straight. It sucked me in completely. I was playing it on my laptop using the left/right shift keys to control the flippers, so I wasn't exactly getting the full experience but I still kept on playing and playing. Your use of sound is fantastic. It was so awesome to hear those familiar Sonic sounds used in perfect locations around the playfield. The physics of the game in VPX are not exactly perfect but that didn't stop me from playing. I had an absolute blast. I only made it to Dr. Robotic once (maybe twice) and finished only a couple levels. That right ramp shot is difficult in VPX, but enjoyable. The loop is a blast, and I even like the hole over on the right by the shooter lane. Just a great, great design. I really enjoyed it. Thank you for uploading it!
    Are there any plans to update the VP table with the updates you are showing here? Updated ramp shapes, DMD animations? I couldn't get the DMD working last night, but I honestly didn't try hard. I just wanted to play.
    Congrats on your design. I really hope someone contacts you and picks it up for production. The concept is fantastic. It would blow the Mario Bros. table out of the water!

I do intend to work with some of the VPX gurus to try and get a fully featured version out at some point. I'm glad you are enjoying the demo. I know it's REALLY basic haha. It's over a year old at this point. Which for this project is basically forever.

#568 87 days ago

I welded the rest if the left ramp this evening. It eliminates the need for the plastic clip near the ball stopper and greatly increases visibility on the pop bumper (which is now worth looking at)

The welds that hold the two parts together are a little on the messy side even after cleaning up but the ball doesn't care. Works great.

I'm going to do another gameplay stream after the TWIPY awards, win or lose. Hope to see you there.

FJIMG_20210324_002614 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210324_002622 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210324_002633 (resized).jpg
    #569 84 days ago

See you tonight!

https://twipys.com/

#570 83 days ago

Big congrats!

#571 83 days ago

Congrats on your win!

#573 83 days ago
    Quoted from McSquid:

I am using a 7 LED cluster from adafruit. The white coat base on the cap diffuses the light quite well.

Congrats on the win!

Those 7 led clusters look great — I wish there was a way to make it look like a single LED signal-wise in the serial chain though.. I’m strapped on LED positions using the existing FAST channels. Only got 1 led to spare for each pop. Just need a single color at a time but no idea if that’s possible to control a bunch of LEDs in parallel with a single serial signal .. probs not

#574 83 days ago

We did it!

Screenshot_20210328-024923 (resized).png
    #575 83 days ago

Congratulations!!!
    Sincerely,
    the Pinball Amigos / Netherlands

#577 83 days ago

Congratulations from WA Pinball.
    Great game with incredible fat ramp, have Stern permission to use your invention

#578 83 days ago

Maybe you can approach JJP, Spooky, or Sega with your new award at some point?

#579 83 days ago
    Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Congratulations!!!
    Sincerely,
    the Pinball Amigos / Netherlands

Thanks, your game is mind blowingly incredible. I seriously cannot wait to try it.

#580 83 days ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Maybe you can approach JJP, Spooky, or Sega with your new award at some point?

I don't think I'll have to

#581 83 days ago

I got last place no love for EMs I guess, you deserved the win- good job man.

#582 83 days ago
    Quoted from McSquid:

Wha?! Man I'm tired of cryptic responses and teasers. PLEASE just tell me. I don't have long to live and just need to know!

#583 83 days ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I got last place no love for EMs I guess, you deserved the win- good job man.

Honestly I think you should have waited til next year to throw your game in. A little more time in the oven and people will be drooling over that game. Also remember it's not last place if you got nominated. Lots of projects didn't get that far.

#584 83 days ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Wha?! Man I'm tired of cryptic responses and teasers. PLEASE just tell me. I don't have long to live and just need to know!

Such is the nature of stuff like this. Even if something was happening behind the scenes I couldn't start telling people or it could jeopardize things.

#585 83 days ago
    Quoted from McSquid:

Such is the nature of stuff like this. Even if something was happening behind the scenes I couldn't start telling people or it could jeopardize things.

Right I understand all that, but you can tell me still. I eagerly await your PM.

#586 83 days ago
    Quoted from McSquid:

Nice

#587 82 days ago
    Quoted from McSquid:

Yesssss.... I’m in.

#588 80 days ago

Congratulations for the win!

1 week later
    #589 69 days ago

Welcome back pinside!
    While you were gone:

Final Special Stage is done!
    Lots of bug fixes!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/981985879

blue_spheres (resized).png
    #590 69 days ago

Nice!

#591 68 days ago

I just accomplished something that may seem minor, but has been defeating me for over a year. I'm excited. I'll post a video tomorrow.

#592 68 days ago

Sonic finally runs across the screen to track your level progress! Shields and effects move with him. I also animated the Special Stage backgrounds. Good weekend for polish

#593 68 days ago

I am beyond impressed. Excellent progress!

#594 67 days ago

So cool!

#595 67 days ago

Oh that's awesome, I love that it shows the active shield/ball save on the animation!

#596 67 days ago

More polish: Level title cards at last! Cover up those awkward transitions!

#597 64 days ago

Holy crap look at this!
    My mini/gundam painting friend made me a mech suit. It has a pinball flail and pinball guns! even occasionally shoots powerballs. He was bored during covid and posted on FB 6 months ago "First 3 people to comment get a custom mech" and I made the cut. So now SSB exists in mech suit form.

173774236_776434687493_859350002034246141_n (resized).jpg173943441_776434717433_1463167467617281677_n (resized).jpg174406406_776434747373_561398444188438101_n (resized).jpg
    #598 63 days ago

Finally started working on these today. Been putting them off for a long time.

burrowbot_walk_r (resized).png

chomper_walk (resized).pngcrabmeat_walk_l (resized).pngspikes_walk_r (resized).pngbuzzbomber_fly_l (resized).png
    #599 60 days ago

Love the work you've done here! Have you given much thought to the final art style of the game yet? One of the things I always loved about the original Sonic on genesis, was the low-poly artwork (low-poly on purpose, much lower res than the system was capable of, and seen in other games of the era, like I think Virtua-Fighter?) I remember reading about it somewhere, where the game designers had dedicated people on staff to ensure all art was consistent and fit with the look/feel/style of the rest of the game. Can't wait to see what you've got in store!

#600 60 days ago
    Quoted from sharkey1331:

Love the work you've done here! Have you given much thought to the final art style of the game yet? One of the things I always loved about the original Sonic on genesis, was the low-poly artwork (low-poly on purpose, much lower res than the system was capable of, and seen in other games of the era, like I think Virtua-Fighter?) I remember reading about it somewhere, where the game designers had dedicated people on staff to ensure all art was consistent and fit with the look/feel/style of the rest of the game. Can't wait to see what you've got in store!

I'm going with the Tyson Hesse sonic art style for the game. Watch this video to get an idea for it (and see where all my in game videos come from)

There are 685 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 14.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside