PXL_20220429_145123322 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220429_145333624 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220415_185521525 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220409_162948018 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220409_230452143 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220411_155848571 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220410_024308459 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 1,171 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 24.
#501 3 years ago
Quoted from sharkey1331:

McSquid - I wonder if it is possible to simulate some of the bonus games, like in Sonic 2 when Sonic runs through the course getting rings/avoiding bombs, or in Sonic 1 with the spinning areas... What you have looks really cool!

Get out of my mind. I literally made this 2 hours ago:

pipe (resized).pngpipe (resized).png
#502 3 years ago
Quoted from TheArrrrrcade:

MPF actually has a feature where you can map a "display" to your playfield lights instead of to a screen. This is a similar technique to what TNA uses. You can get much more dynamic light shows this way.

This is what I thought they were referring to. I may experiment with this, but im pretty sure I want to limit my additional use of the MC to avoid lag. I'm already planning on using 2 displays, for now ill stick with the show creator.

#503 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Get out of my mind. I literally made this 2 hours ago:[quoted image]

Tried it, don't like it. I'm gonna try again with the shot arrows left out of it. Confuses the player even when they know what's going on.

#504 3 years ago

Would love for Spooky or AP to pick this up and manufacture. It would definitely be a hit. So much fun just looking at it!

#505 3 years ago

Does spooky manufacture with Fast? Not that switching over to multimorphic would be difficult. MPF wouldn't care either way.

#506 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Does spooky manufacture with Fast? Not that switching over to multimorphic would be difficult. MPF wouldn't care either way.

Indeed. Mpf doesn't care. Would be an easy switch.

#507 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Tried it, don't like it. I'm gonna try again with the shot arrows left out of it. Confuses the player even when they know what's going on.

Remade this show leaving out the shot lights. I left the "data" lights in (act, emeralds) as the player doesn't look to them for instructions. I
LOVE the new show. It feels like you're traveling through the pipe. I'll post a video soon. Trying to come up with more clever light shows now.

#508 3 years ago

Ive always liked the search light pattern from data easts lw3..

May be too antique for your build tho!!

#509 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Ive always liked the search light pattern from data easts lw3..
May be too antique for your build tho!!

can you find me a video? interested in any case

#510 3 years ago

Its basically a fan that sweeps left to right and originate from a saucer or shoot again insert. Ill try to find one.

#511 3 years ago

Some pattern ideas.

#512 3 years ago

You planning on a cup holder?

F1785CFE-D8C8-4830-A507-4FD35AC27302 (resized).jpegF1785CFE-D8C8-4830-A507-4FD35AC27302 (resized).jpeg
#513 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

You planning on a cup holder? [quoted image]

Every game needs a cup holder. I usually glue a promo plastic to a pingulp. I'm sure I can find something. Never again at a show though. I had a pingulp on my BK2K at a show, and every day it was full of trash by the end.

#514 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Some pattern ideas.

The search lights are cool. Could make those pretty easily. Thanks for making the video. Not really a fan of the "all on except a circle" pattern though.

#515 3 years ago

Tonight's stream:
https://www.twitch.tv/thecephalopod/v/933694931?sr=a&t=3031s

More lightshows, half of the light rails now color match GI, and the elephant in the room: Comprehensive Fission Devastation. Check it out!

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png
#516 3 years ago

That is bonkers.

Hide a game within a game.

Should throw a teaser mode in there.. like with those 90s DE games, they would advertise an upcoming title... maybe you coukd do an easter egg where if you start a game during the next title advertisement, the game plays with some alternate call outs or a mode that is featured on an upcoming title.

Or plays as normal and a sequence starts a mode with alternate call outs that will be featured in an upcoming title!

#517 3 years ago

Got some work done tonight. New right ramp designed and printing

Left side is the new "medium depth" ramp, less steep for fewer airballs, hopefully better geometry for forehand shots keeping momentum and giving good signpost hits. Not as drastic as the scrapped long ramp, I hope this design preserves the good backhand geometry (and actually fits ::fingers crossed:

I also made cardboard templates for another batch of plastics. Will trace those into CAD and print them this weekend. I'll stream if I have enough interesting things to work on.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png
#518 3 years ago

What type of filament are you using for your ramp prints?

#519 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

I had a pingulp on my BK2K at a show, and every day it was full of trash by the end.

I don't agree about the pingulps at shows... But, they are litter magnets. I fukin hate that people are that lazy and obviously left their mom at home. At least bring her to the con

#520 3 years ago
Quoted from MOSFET:

What type of filament are you using for your ramp prints?

I use PETG filament.

Just finished the 15 hour print for the ramp, only to have it shatter while trying to remove the support material. Enraging, but it's my fault for not throwing away the brittle spool of PETG when I discovered it. Trying again with what I THINK is good PETG

FJIMG_20210306_021359 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210306_021359 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210306_122308 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210306_122308 (resized).jpg
#521 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

I use PETG filament.
Just finished the 15 hour print for the ramp, only to have it shatter while trying to remove the support material. Enraging, but it's my fault for not throwing away the brittle spool of PETG when I discovered it. Trying again with what I THINK is good PETG

Thank you, and oh no!!

I love that bright blue color in the second picture!

#522 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

I use PETG filament.
Just finished the 15 hour print for the ramp, only to have it shatter while trying to remove the support material. Enraging, but it's my fault for not throwing away the brittle spool of PETG when I discovered it. Trying again with what I THINK is good PETG[quoted image][quoted image]

I don't know much about 3d printers so maybe a stupid question, but will a printed ramp really hold when being bashed by a heavy metal ball? Those standing plastic edges at the entrance will be hit hard and often while playing.

Or just for prototyping and you will make metal ramps later on?

#523 3 years ago
Quoted from Lhyrgoif:

I don't know much about 3d printers so maybe a stupid question, but will a printed ramp really hold when being bashed by a heavy metal ball? Those standing plastic edges at the entrance will be hit hard and often while playing.
Or just for prototyping and you will make metal ramps later on?

All 3D printed parts in the game are temporary. We are still working on a prototype after all. However, Im using the same material vaccuformed pinball ramps are made of, The right ramp im replacing held up to ~4 ish months of punishment before cracking. Planning on doing metal ramps but I may end up going plastic on the right for visibility.

#524 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Got some work done tonight. New right ramp designed and printing
Left side is the new "medium depth" ramp, less steep for fewer airballs, hopefully better geometry for forehand shots keeping momentum and giving good signpost hits. Not as drastic as the scrapped long ramp, I hope this design preserves the good backhand geometry (and actually fits ::fingers crossed:
I also made cardboard templates for another batch of plastics. Will trace those into CAD and print them this weekend. I'll stream if I have enough interesting things to work on.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Ever thought about making a high bank on a ramp and contouring the edge so it would roll up it and around? Might make it feel more clunky? Could add speed on a clean shot... might look cool from player perspective.

#525 3 years ago

What about some kind of rifling into a tube, get it to loop from a clean shot? I know it sounds crazy...

#526 3 years ago

It was a "put on headphones and get to work" kind of day.
New stuff:

- An apron that fits (finally!)

- Remaining obvious plastics complete. Some multi tier plastics still waiting

- New medium length right ramp (with metal protectors)

- Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails toys (tails is flying!)

I love the way it looks. I only got to test the right ramp for a few minutes, but It needs tweaking. I think it can work though. I might need to move/adjust the left return ramp to make more room. The right ramp really wants to turn a bit to the left and it cant since the return ramp is in the way. The return ramp needs to pass over the ramp stop however, so I may have to see if I can move it to get everything flowing the way I want.

I'll probably do a playtest stream Monday or Tuesday night. I wanted to do a shop stream but I'm happy to just have made progress.

FJIMG_20210307_204857 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204857 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204903 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204903 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204927 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204927 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204938 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204938 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204944 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210307_204944 (resized).jpg
#527 3 years ago

No Amy Rose? :p

#528 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

No Amy Rose? :p

I do have an amy figure, just don't know where to put her yet.

#529 3 years ago

I don't have any pictures, but I did some "interactive" light shows today. Little things that happen as you do things on the playfield.

- Sling hit
- Loop charge and release
- Scoop eject
- Boss hit

Still got more to do, but it's a good start. I'll stream it when I get the bandwidth/energy. Going through some tough stuff, but doing OK.

#530 3 years ago

Today:

More light shows:

- Use shield
- Pop hit (need to install light)
- Boss explode

Redid some old light shows to reflect actual real life rail light positions (which are also fixed)

Finally fixed lightning shield
- Infinite center saves --> 3 charges
- Finished adding "ring magnet" effect. Will now collect rings from the shot hit and the shots next to it. (proud of this since I basically rewrote the entire rings code and it worked perfectly on the first try)

L-O-O-P slide/sound effect finally added for light loop award

Gonna stream tonight at ~8:30 EST. so we can test out all the new stuff. Might turn into a tech stream (moving left return, install pop light) if i hate the right ramp.

#531 3 years ago

McSquid Sorry if this was asked/answered, but what is the stream link and what time (zone) do you usually stream at?

#532 3 years ago

Man, the depth of the ruleset on this is tremendous. Great work. Really hope theres an opportunity to play a production version of this someday.

#533 3 years ago

Sorry I forgot to post the link! Here is the vod from the stream!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/944775554

#534 3 years ago

a few code updates/fixes I accomplished in the past few days:

- Shoot again light general wonkiness should be fixed. Should function correctly in all modes...I hope.
- Mania multiball music now random of 3 tracks (im sure you guys were also getting tired of that one)
- Mania multiball jackpots are now progressive (+5% for each scored)
- lightning shield "charges" light should be fixed
- Switch (quick) multiball is now an add-a-ball and jackpots are more valuable
- Loop award "next award" list fixed. Now lines up with what you actually get
- Extra balls are now properly handled.
- Extra ball on ball 1 no longer soft locks the game
- Shoot again show added
- Lots of little bugs discovered during game streams have been fixed. (I.E. I actually went through my bug notes)

I'm gonna do a tech stream this weekend. Move left return lane, try another right ramp. Not sure if it will be Saturday or Sunday night. Ill make sure I post here when I know.
Stream audio quality has been drastically increased as well

#535 3 years ago

Streaming tonight at 8pm EST. Lets tetris some ramps

https://www.twitch.tv/thecephalopod

#536 3 years ago

pushing it back until the TTI stream is over. probably ~ 9-9:30

#537 3 years ago

Nevermind. Over already haha. Starting soon

#538 3 years ago

https://www.twitch.tv/thecephalopod/v/948597000?sr=a&t=2309s

Last nights stream. Bent some things, hit others with a hammer, drilled a bunch if holes through stuff and eventually succeeded in moving the left ramp return over 1/2 inch. Installed a new right ramp (same file/design as before, but not bent with a heat gun) it works PERFECTLY. Right ramp is now buttery smooth as both a backhand and forehand shot. I'll get pictures tomorrow. Second half of the stream was gameplay with a lot of new little things.

#539 3 years ago

So I was gonna tell you all how I re-rendered all the in game videos with HD 60FPS upscaled versions today, but that is not nearly as exciting as the other thing that was accomplished. Check it out:

#540 3 years ago

Worked on twitch integrations some more. Soon it will be ready and able to do some fun stuff.

Here are pictures of the new right ramp and left return location. You can see the old hole Location and new for the ramp stop. Had to chop up the pop bracket to make it fit but it works. If you look you can see how much better the right ramp aims at the flippers.

FJIMG_20210316_171546 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210316_171546 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210316_171624 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210316_171624 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210316_171637 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210316_171637 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210316_171734 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210316_171734 (resized).jpg
#541 3 years ago

Your whitewood is so beautiful. love this project

#542 3 years ago

Looking pretty good!

#543 3 years ago

This game is so sick.

#544 3 years ago

What do you guys think of this right here? Do I even need that wall? I'm thinking i could easily open the scoop shot up and prevent rattle outs by just deleting that wall. I can replace it with a wire guide (or nothing) and move the target a bit. Stern JP has a post in front of the flipper that everyone hates because it comes loose, but a target isn't gonna come loose.

I'm refocusing on some final v1 playfield adjustments as part of a larger effort to get started on playfield #2. Gonna disassemble the whole thing and rebuild it with all the new changes, a proper BoM, and updated CAD. Its my hope that ill be able to have v2 ready with plenty of time to spare before all of you start getting your hands on it (fingers crossed) this coming fall/winter.

The code is far enough along that I could ignore it completely and it would be fine. I have someone who will cut my PF for me so I don't have to wait to get a CNC anymore. You guys know I work fast. I can get it done by summer no problem if I commit. Its just tough committing to taking it all apart even if I know its for a good reason.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#545 3 years ago

I'm a fan of wide open. What are the cons of having nothing there?

#546 3 years ago

I think wire guide would make sense if it's enforcing a curvature...but if it's just there as a physical barrier I'd say wall if it's a high impact zone, or nothing if you're looking to reduce rattle. I don't see an easy way for the ball to get stuck there plus it'll be easier to adjust the flipper without it.

#547 3 years ago

I see a potential issue with nothing there being the shot gets weird if the flipper is up. I guess it's easy to test though.

#548 3 years ago

Yeah any barrier like a wire form that leaves a gap from underneath the flipper to the inner bend could get the ball stuck in the right circumstance which is why I assume you have the double wall right now. That is a similar pattern to what the getaway uses for mounting the traffic light to the top of a post while making dedicated lanes for the ball on either side.

I'd say if the rattle is too extreme try without it, but I'd be nervous of a ball sticking with a wire unless you could get the bend towards the left of the target and if it bends over there it might look a bit out of place

#549 3 years ago

I like the wire. I think it's neat to skillfully "lock" a ball behind an upper flipper during a multiball (I'm assuming there is stage flipping). You'll also want to fiddle around with the balls search parameters so the flipper moves if the player tilts with a ball trapped there.

If the shot was tighter, then I'd suggest no wall because then a player can raise the upper flipper to make the opening a bit bigger. An example is the lock shot on F-14.

#550 3 years ago

Did the thing, and rebent the right wall. Feels much better. Doesnt rattle out often, and that extra 1/4 I moved the target makes hitting it just a little easier. Feels good.

While I was in there I felt motivated to weld the tight wireform. I didn't quite finish (up at the top) because I ran out of prefabricated rings and didn't feel like making more. Looks really good.

FJIMG_20210319_191505 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210319_191505 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210319_211712 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210319_211712 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210319_211715 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210319_211715 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210319_211720 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210319_211720 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210319_213602 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210319_213602 (resized).jpg

There are 1,171 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-the-hedgehog-spinball/page/11?hl=mcsquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.