PXL_20220429_145123322 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220429_145333624 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220415_185521525 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220409_162948018 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220409_230452143 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220411_155848571 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220410_024308459 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 1,171 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 24.
#451 3 years ago

Maiden voyage cabinet play? Gonna check it out later today!!

#452 3 years ago

- Gonna do another gameplay stream tonight around 7pm EST.

- Shirts have shipped. (all 50 lbs of them x_x )

- NVME drive added + All music has been switched to .wav, takes up another 2GB and cost $50 but cut loading times in half.

- New animation should hint at what we are testing tonight:

#453 3 years ago

Fire Zone test went well. Just some minor fixes and adjustment required. I've decided to randomize the shots and increase the point penalty to something slightly more noticeable. New streaming laptop worked out very well. next stream will probably be friday night.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/889525695

#454 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

- Gonna do another gameplay stream tonight around 7pm EST.
- Shirts have shipped. (all 50 lbs of them x_x )

Thanks for getting to these. Gonna wear it proud. Great progress on the build!

#455 3 years ago

Was feeling meh today, forced myself to work on code. It helped. Fire shots are now generated randomly instead of a few set patterns by me. Seems to work well. I may back-port this to Purple act 2, though that is a solution looking for a problem. Will stream test Friday night.

#456 3 years ago

Jan blues hitting you too, eh?

Well..

At least ur not deeproot...

#457 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Jan blues hitting you too, eh?
Well..
At least ur not deeproot...

What happened? I haven't been following anything Deeproot. Too busy making pinball.

#458 3 years ago

Some zones swapped around to include more. Pinball people wont care. Sonic people might.

Oil Ocean Zone has moved to Mania (previously Lava Reef which is also used in S&K)
Hilltop Zone has been added to Sonic 2 (previously not part of the game)
hilltop (resized).pnghilltop (resized).png

oil (resized).pngoil (resized).png
#459 3 years ago

Well these turned out awesome...

Soft, good material, nice printing job, DOESN'T smell disgusting like many shirts I've bought. Calling this a win. Now I just need to pack and ship ~70 shirts x_x

FJIMG_20210128_182242 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210128_182242 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210128_182403 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210128_182403 (resized).jpg

sanic (resized).pngsanic (resized).png
#460 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

What happened? I haven't been following anything Deeproot. Too busy making pinball.

They are busy not making pinball.

#461 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

They are busy not making pinball.

Wait, you have no context so let me, elaborate.

1. Games were to start shipping next week.
2. ULC testing is still, in progress
3. BOM supplier selection is at 70%
4. Pinbar control lcd thing has no supplier sourced yet
5. Publicly announces games will start shipping in March.

They clearly forgot Lunar new year is in a week and that will impact any overseas supply.

No further gameplay updates to be posted until further notice.

So... yeah.

It could be worse if ur on either end of the deeproot thing.. as a customer, or employee. The only one winning is prob the guy that collected the cash on preorders.

In other news, you could line up this guy for some key call outs in the game:

https://www.gamesradar.com/sonic-voice-actor-leaves-role-after-10-years-sega-confirms/

#462 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Wait, you have no context so let me, elaborate.
1. Games were to start shipping next week.
2. ULC testing is still, in progress
3. BOM supplier selection is at 70%
4. Pinbar control lcd thing has no supplier sourced yet
5. Publicly announces games will start shipping in March.
They clearly forgot Lunar new year is in a week and that will impact any overseas supply.
No further gameplay updates to be posted until further notice.
So... yeah.
It could be worse if ur on either end of the deeproot thing.. as a customer, or employee. The only one winning is prob the guy that collected the cash on preorders.
In other news, you could line up this guy for some key call outs in the game:
https://www.gamesradar.com/sonic-voice-actor-leaves-role-after-10-years-sega-confirms/

Given their record I can't believe anyone bet on buying a RAZA being a good experience.

Gives me hope that if sonic gets produced it will sell for sure though...

#463 3 years ago

Shirts are packed up and will go out Friday

FJIMG_20210131_185830 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210131_185830 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210131_201733 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210131_201733 (resized).jpg
#464 3 years ago

Someone had a productive weekend!

Can i ask a pinball champion a pinball question?

What is the most important thing that draws u to a game? Theme? Shots? Scoring? Depth?
I have a guilty pleasure of enjoying DE early 90s titles but dont know why they didnt make their different modes more linear, like in rocky and bullwinkle. Was this just to be different from williams at the time or to keep their short games from getting stale?

I got into pinball in 2015 and never knew this until getting a couple de games, LW3 and R&B.

#465 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Someone had a productive weekend!
Can i ask a pinball champion a pinball question?
What is the most important thing that draws u to a game? Theme? Shots? Scoring? Depth?
I have a guilty pleasure of enjoying DE early 90s titles but dont know why they didnt make their different modes more linear, like in rocky and bullwinkle. Was this just to be different from williams at the time or to keep their short games from getting stale?
I got into pinball in 2015 and never knew this until getting a couple de games, LW3 and R&B.

At this point in my pinball career, I'm drawn to any game Ive never played. be it EM or brand new, if Ive never flipped it its my favorite game in the room. Second would be any homebrew machine. I love to see all the work and love that goes into people's basement creations. Even if it shot terribly and had crayon art I would love it. I would eagerly play a 10-year-old's pinbox 3000 if they were proud of it.

Once Ive been exposed to it, what will keep me there are the shots and the theme. Theme is weird because if I love the theme it will be a huge plus, but hating the theme is not a dealbreaker to me at all. If there was a Justin Bieber pin I would still play it if it shot well. Iron maiden is an amazing pin and I don't care at all about the theme. When these two things combine into a single game its a winner for sure. Shots is king for sure. If my design is fun to play with no art, rules, theme, music, or lights I have made a good game. This is what led me to finally build sonic, and its the reason I know I have at least 2 other good games to make after Sonic.

Scoring for me can only ever turn me off. No game has me drawn in for good scoring. However bad or confusing scoring can turn me off of a game. For example: I hate dialed in because the scoring is absurd. JJP games lose some enthusiasm for me in general because their scoring tends to be stupidly complicated. Oh yeah you did all the things, but you didn't do them in this specific mathematically optimal order so you have no points. Oh you had a shit game? well the two things you DID do were the perfect combination so you got 10x the score of your "good" game

Depth is another thing I find overrated. Its pinball. There is only so much to do on a playfield. Making me do those things in slightly different order so I can do some mode with a different name or video clip does nothing for me. If your game is fun to shoot, it doesn't need to be deep. I mean sure sometimes its fun to get lost exploring some of the more complex rules, but one of my favorite games is TNA. TNA is not deep. It doesn't have to be.

#466 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

At this point in my pinball career, I'm drawn to any game Ive never played. be it EM or brand new, if Ive never flipped it its my favorite game in the room. Second favorite is any homebrew machine. I love seeing the work and love that goes into peoples basement creations. Even if a homebrew shot terribly and had crayon art I would LOVE it. I would eagerly play a 10 year olds Pinbox 3000 if they were proud of it.

Once Ive been exposed to it, what will keep me there are the shots and the theme. Theme is weird because if I love the theme it will be a huge plus, but hating the theme is not a dealbreaker to me at all. If there was a Justin Bieber pin I would still play it if it shot well. Iron maiden is an amazing pin and I don't care at all about the theme. When these two things combine into a single game its a winner for sure. Shots is king for sure. If my design is fun to play with no art, rules, theme, music, or lights I have made a good game. This is what led me to finally build sonic, and its the reason I know I have at least 2 other good games to make after Sonic.

Scoring for me can only ever turn me off. No game has me drawn in for good scoring. However bad or confusing scoring can turn me off of a game. For example: I hate dialed in because the scoring is absurd. JJP games lose some enthusiasm for me in general because their scoring tends to be stupidly complicated. Oh yeah you did all the things, but you didn't do them in this specific mathematically optimal order so you have no points. Oh you had a shit game? well the two things you DID do were the perfect combination so you got 10x the score of your "good" game

Depth is another thing I find overrated. Its pinball. There is only so much to do on a playfield. Making me do those things in slightly different order so I can do some mode with a different name or video clip does nothing for me. If your game is fun to shoot, it doesn't need to be deep. I mean sure sometimes its fun to get lost exploring some of the more complex rules, but one of my favorite games is TNA. TNA is not deep. It doesn't have to be.

#467 3 years ago

Thanks for your insight on this!!

In other news:
https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/sonic-the-hedgehog-series-netflix-1234897211/

Maybe an alignment here!

#468 3 years ago

Looks like sega is going to have a rebirth soon.

Sonic lego just got announced.

https://www.polygon.com/2021/2/4/22266165/sonic-the-hedgehog-lego-ideas-set-sonic-mania-green-hill-zone

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#469 3 years ago

I cant wait for that lego set

#470 3 years ago

I took a small break from Sonic this week, life has been difficult and I wasn't feeling it. I'll be working on plastics, and the apron shortly, but in the meantime I wanted to share this with you all. I'm really proud of it. It was really fun to just play.

Total Nuclear Annihilation Speedrun in 15:35 (WR)

#471 3 years ago

The shirt is AWESOME!!!!!!

got mine today.

Thanks for making them!!!!!

Peace
Buffett

#472 3 years ago
Quoted from Buffett:

The shirt is AWESOME!!!!!!
got mine today.
Thanks for making them!!!!!
Peace
Buffett

Same, and they're quite nice!

#473 3 years ago

k..... well if this movie doesn't bomb, can we be assured this title is going to happen?

https://www.polygon.com/movies/2021/2/10/22276207/sonic-the-hedgehog-2-movie-tails-release-date-2022

if this is really in the spirit of 90s games, im really hoping the movie franchise doesn't tank it.
(I have a rocky and bullwinkle that is completely amazing and a lot of fun, but the 90's reboot didn't do the title any favors... other fave is Demolition man.. yeah... movie franchise kinda holds it back too...)

#474 3 years ago

lookie what I got!
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I should have bought 2, my wife already called dibs on it :/

#475 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

k..... well if this movie doesn't bomb, can we be assured this title is going to happen?
https://www.polygon.com/movies/2021/2/10/22276207/sonic-the-hedgehog-2-movie-tails-release-date-2022
if this is really in the spirit of 90s games, im really hoping the movie franchise doesn't tank it.
(I have a rocky and bullwinkle that is completely amazing and a lot of fun, but the 90's reboot didn't do the title any favors... other fave is Demolition man.. yeah... movie franchise kinda holds it back too...)

The timing of that movie release might increase the odds of SSB being produced. Sega would be all over the licensing if they were approached this year.

#476 3 years ago

Got back in the saddle yesterday after a week and a half struggling with Covid isolation and not being motivated. Tested apron/glass (they fit!) made templates for plastics, installed a new video card, and did a little spot welding demonstration. Forgot to take pictures. Here is the stream vod

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/909215024

#477 3 years ago

First batch of prototype plastics is complete. Made cardboard templates, scanned them next to a ruler, resized properly and traced them into CAD. Print them out and install! Worked perfectly.

Translite has arrived after being lost in the mail for almost a month. Installed backlighting tonight. Looks awesome.

I also wired up the flood lights so all that is standing between us and a VERY bright and colorful game is some code. I'm gonna add all the flood lights to the code and make a few attract mode shows to test it.

FJIMG_20210213_184035 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210213_184035 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210214_191058 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210214_191058 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210214_224323 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20210214_224323 (resized).jpgImage (4) (resized).pngImage (4) (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#478 3 years ago

Can I still get in on the shirt deal?

#479 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Can I still get in on the shirt deal?

I have some left, and have to ship a few more out. So it looks like I'll be doing one last batch of late orders if you want in on it. PM me size, Shipping address, and qty

#480 3 years ago

So........Can we buy a translight too? That looks amazing, make great wall art.

#481 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

So........Can we buy a translight too? That looks amazing, make great wall art.

I don't see why not? I could get more printed. Would be ~$150 each shipped.

#482 3 years ago

The process for making the plastics was nicely explained. Now that they are in CAD, if you have an interest, PBL can take those as DXF files and laser them out of plastic. I hear they are reasonable. It would allow your art (printed or drawn on tracing paper) to be spray glued to the underside of the plastic - if you want to go that direction.

#483 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Translite has arrived after being lost in the mail for almost a month. Installed backlighting tonight. Looks awesome.

Translite looks awesome! Would you mind sharing how it was printed (process / service)? Thanks!

#484 3 years ago

Lightshows!

I finally finished installing all the lights in the game while streaming the other night. Now after a brief battle with configuration, power requirements, and code its all working! I started with a few attract mode cycles to test it all out, but now I can make fancy light shows for everything! I'm going to have to cut the side rail light bars a bit shorter. There is a hardware limitation since I used RGBW LEDs instead of just RGB for the rails. They need 4 channels instead of the normal 3, so I can only use 48 lights per channel instead of the normal 64. This results in much better white for GI from the rails. Going to stream gameplay with some basic lighting code in place tomorrow night.

#485 3 years ago

Pretty nice animations! Good work.

#486 3 years ago

Cool the action button should also be part of it!

#487 3 years ago

looks great, hope there's a yellow/orange light chasing a blue light from the shooting lane around to the left drain .... like Tails running behind Sonic

#488 3 years ago

Just wow, I love this project. Also, me today.

0E4E574B-B22C-4E0D-A9AA-A9BA70DAE7D2 (resized).jpeg0E4E574B-B22C-4E0D-A9AA-A9BA70DAE7D2 (resized).jpeg
#489 3 years ago

Awesome light show... such a great project. Hope some can mfg. this eventually.

#490 3 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

Awesome light show... such a great project. Hope some can mfg. this eventually.

Yes me too!AP employs a great artist for playfield,cabinet and translite work.

#491 3 years ago

Had a vaccinated friend over last night for some playtesting:

part 1: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/922139488
part 2: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/922489675

#492 3 years ago

Great attract light show. Are you using the playfield as a monitor feature of MPF? You inspire me to do some coding this week.

#493 3 years ago

One of the best light show I’ve seen so far and this include GnR. Really impressive. Amazing project, congrats !

#494 3 years ago

the flow on this pf layout is great. i haven't played many tier 1 titles from the 90s but i'm really surprised something like this hasn't been done before. and i like the things about the red arrows and being penalized for those shots. Great work, it looks really fun to play.

One suggestion for the lLCD, can you make the screen transitions at the game selection to be a mosaic or pixelization, instead of a right to left wipe? just a humble suggestion that may fit the theme?

#495 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

the flow on this pf layout is great. i haven't played many tier 1 titles from the 90s but i'm really surprised something like this hasn't been done before. and i like the things about the red arrows and being penalized for those shots. Great work, it looks really fun to play.
One suggestion for the lLCD, can you make the screen transitions at the game selection to be a mosaic or pixelization, instead of a right to left wipe? just a humble suggestion that may fit the theme?

This suggestion falls under the "Yes I intend to do something like that, but it's such a low priority it won't be soon" I stopped noticing slide transitions a loooooong time ago

#496 3 years ago
Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Great attract light show. Are you using the playfield as a monitor feature of MPF? You inspire me to do some coding this week.

No, I'm using the MPF lightshow creator made by Mark, maker of Nightmare before Christmas homebrew.

#497 3 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

One of the best light show I’ve seen so far and this include GnR. Really impressive. Amazing project, congrats !

Just getting started

#498 3 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

No, I'm using the MPF lightshow creator made by Mark, maker of Nightmare before Christmas homebrew.

technically that does involve the monitor though as well, to get the light positions

#499 3 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

technically that does involve the monitor though as well, to get the light positions

MPF actually has a feature where you can map a "display" to your playfield lights instead of to a screen. This is a similar technique to what TNA uses. You can get much more dynamic light shows this way.

#500 3 years ago

McSquid - I wonder if it is possible to simulate some of the bonus games, like in Sonic 2 when Sonic runs through the course getting rings/avoiding bombs, or in Sonic 1 with the spinning areas... What you have looks really cool!

There are 1,171 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-the-hedgehog-spinball/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.