PXL_20220429_145123322 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220429_145333624 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220415_185521525 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220409_162948018 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220409_230452143 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220411_155848571 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220410_024308459 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 1,171 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 24.
#1 4 years ago

Maybe_Im_done_with_the_thiccer_outline_2 (resized).pngMaybe_Im_done_with_the_thiccer_outline_2 (resized).png
Live streams: https://www.twitch.tv/ryan_mcsquid

TLDR: I'm building a Sonic the Hedgehog Pinball machine. Why on earth did SEGA not make one? Follow my build here!

7733987bb88237fb4a48cfc17cf8b32e700e1cfd (resized).jpg7733987bb88237fb4a48cfc17cf8b32e700e1cfd (resized).jpg
79e2de85fb3eee4ee837b6f24ede115e44062c6c (resized).jpg79e2de85fb3eee4ee837b6f24ede115e44062c6c (resized).jpg

If you are new to the project I highly recommend checking out the Pinball Expo 2020 showcase and rules tutorial videos for an excellent primer on where the project is more recently:

Video playlist of all development videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLS1SajQHlXu4JjuCuWDFJREvn_rszxiX-

FAQs------------------------------------------------
Q- Is the artwork final? Will you be doing a full art package?
A- No! The artwork is concept art designed in the same style as original Sonic concept art. Artwork is being done in "scenes" that will be tie together with a background when they are completed. This is in line with many 90s games. Each scene is a placeholder that will eventually be replaced with full color HD art depicting the same subject/idea. Some of the concept art is colored where color is informationally important.

Q- Why not use colored balls? A blue ball would be awesome!
A- Yes it would be awesome! Unfortunately there is no good source of durable and functional colored pinballs. The colored pinballs that are available are not durable enough to be used in normal gameplay. Reports vary, but generally they are only expected to last 100 games. For comparison, during the on-location play testing Sonic received 92 games in a single day. These colored balls are also too expensive to be considered as a disposable option. There are some options and science experiments I will be attempting but I am not holding my breathe.

Q- Will sonic be at X Show/Convention?
A- While I hope to be able to attend as many shows as possible, a number of limiting factors are currently in place. Covid, limited vacation time, and my current vehicle being too small to transport a pin are all making touring all over the country difficult. Currently Sonic is planned to be attending both Chicago Pinball Expo in October, and Pintastic in November. I will update this if new shows are added.

Q- Can I buy one? Where do I pre-order?
A- Love your enthusiasm <3 but I will not be making any additional units beyond my own personal machine unless the game is produced by an established pinball manufacturer and properly licensed by SEGA. I am open and eager to make this happen, so if you have pinball industry contacts make sure you put in a good word for me

Q- Is this the final playfield?
A- No this is not the final playfield. While version 2 addresses many of the issues with the original prototype, has many improvements, tweaks, and additions that make it a much better game, It will still not be perfect. More tweaks and adjustments will be required. The art package will be finished as well. If you see a full art package its probably the final playfield

Q- How far along/close to done are you?
A- I am currently finishing up building version 2 of the game. As mentioned before this will not be the final version, but represents a significant step forward in the process. The game is fully playable (when assembled) and all main features are complete. The code base is nearly basic feature complete, but more modes and extras are planned. Id call the code 0.8 if I had to give it a number referencing proximity to 1.0. The project is VERY mature for its age however.
---------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,
Since finishing up my dream restoration (Twilight Zone which I documented here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-restoration-2) I've decided to move on to another dream project which will be my most ambitious to date: design and build my own pinball machine.
I have been lamenting for years that SEGA never made a Sonic the Hedgehog pinball machine. Despite having pinball as a recurring theme in the main games, making a pinball video game, a coin roller, a basketball game, SEGA itself manufacturing pinball machines, placing him in the DMD shows of several SEGA pins as well as their manuals, despite SEGA allegedly doing what nintendon't and the fact that his 90s rival Mario starred in TWO pins... no Sonic. I have been a huge fan of Sonic since I was a kid. I was forged in the console wars of the 90s, and I LOVED to go FAST.

While learning to restore pins, and during my multiple projects over the last few years, the idea of making my own game was always in the back of my mind, and the theme seemed obvious. I told anyone that would listen that I would do it "someday", and would even list off the features I planned. Then one day I decided to start writing my ideas down and see where the design evolved (and so i wouldn't forget them) On a whim one weekend, I designed an 80s SS style game called "Cosmic Lady" in order to teach myself to design using the excellent free Visual Pinball digital platform. The goal of the CL project was to eventually use the new skills to someday make a digital prototype of my dream Sonic game. It was perfect. No need to buy anything at all! infinite hypothetical parts, and I could try my creations and decide when I had something worth building.

After a year of planning during long car rides and excited hypothetical conversations with friends about features and how I would design it, I decided to get started. It only took a few weeks to finish the digital prototype. I had about 1/2 of the playfield planned out, and a few more ideas to fit wherever I could. The design came together very smoothly. Unfortunately, once it was done I didn't think it was very fun. It was missing something. Then a friend of mine made a recommendation: "you need another ramp, there is no way to feed your left flipper." I looked at my design, and immediately knew exactly where it would go. After adding that ramp I swear I played my rule-less digital prototype for 2-3 hours. It was suddenly REALLY fun to shoot even with no scoring to shoot for. That's when I knew I had something worth building, and the rest of this project started soon after.
Proto1 (resized).pngProto1 (resized).pngProto1 and half (resized).pngProto1 and half (resized).pngProto3 (resized).pngProto3 (resized).pngMPF Bridge (resized).pngMPF Bridge (resized).png

At this point I had the party for my Twilight Zone restoration coming up, and I decided to code some rules for my digital prototype in visual pinball. I got started quickly since I was able to copy code from my previous project. I knew that these rules should only be basic, as they would be later thrown out in favor of coding on a real platform, but I wanted to demo to people how the basic game would be played to get them excited and get valuable feedback. I ended up with around 700 lines of code (450 or so copy pasted from previous project) and a mostly playable demo. It was FUN. I loaded it onto my digital pinball coffee table (previous project) and everyone at the party enjoyed it. It was at this party that Mark the creator of Metroid pinball brought me a bunch of parts from his donor game and a surprise playfield plywood to get me started. If you haven't seen his game you are seriously missing out: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metroid-pinball

Since then, I've been slowly collecting parts, and started re-coding the game using the Mission Pinball Framework. One of their users created a bridge between MPF and Visual pinball so I am able to start writing real code using my digital prototype before I even start building. I'm a few weeks in, and have a basic game running, one major game mechanic completed, and just finished my first game-play mode tonight. I also picked up my donor cabinet today which is why I decided I finally have enough substance to this project that its worth starting a thread. I'll write a post detailing the code I have done so far soon. In the meantime, here is the donor cab: a really rough looking but surprisingly solid Space Shuttle cabinet (Which did not end up being used).

FJIMG_20191215_174535 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20191215_174535 (resized).jpg
7733987bb88237fb4a48cfc17cf8b32e700e1cfd (resized).jpg7733987bb88237fb4a48cfc17cf8b32e700e1cfd (resized).jpg
79e2de85fb3eee4ee837b6f24ede115e44062c6c (resized).jpg79e2de85fb3eee4ee837b6f24ede115e44062c6c (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

[quoted image]
TLDR: I'm building a Sonic the Hedgehog Pinball machine. Why on earth did SEGA not make one? Follow my build here!
Hi Everyone,
Since finishing up my dream restoration (Twilight Zone which I documented here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twilight-zone-restoration-2) I've decided to move on to another dream project which will be my most ambitious to date: design and build my own pinball machine.
I have been lamenting for years that SEGA never made a Sonic the Hedgehog pinball machine. Despite having pinball as a recurring theme in the main games, making a pinball video game, a coin roller, a basketball game, SEGA itself manufacturing pinball machines, placing him in the DMD shows of several SEGA pins as well as their manuals, despite SEGA allegedly doing what nintendon't and the fact that his 90s rival Mario starred in TWO pins... no Sonic. I have been a huge fan of Sonic since I was a kid. I was forged in the console wars of the 90s, and I LOVED to go FAST.
While learning to restore pins, and during my multiple projects over the last few years, the idea of making my own game was always in the back of my mind, and the theme seemed obvious. I told anyone that would listen that I would do it "someday", and would even list off the features I planned. Then one day I decided to start writing my ideas down and see where the design evolved (and so i wouldn't forget them) On a whim one weekend, I designed an 80s SS style game called "Cosmic Lady" in order to teach myself to design using the excellent free Visual Pinball digital platform. The goal of the CL project was to eventually use the new skills to someday make a digital prototype of my dream Sonic game. It was perfect. No need to buy anything at all! infinite hypothetical parts, and I could try my creations and decide when I had something worth building.
After a year of planning during long car rides and excited hypothetical conversations with friends about features and how I would design it, I decided to get started. It only took a few weeks to finish the digital prototype. I had about 1/2 of the playfield planned out, and a few more ideas to fit wherever I could. The design came together very smoothly. Unfortunately, once it was done I didn't think it was very fun. It was missing something. Then a friend of mine made a recommendation: "you need another ramp, there is no way to feed your left flipper." I looked at my design, and immediately knew exactly where it would go. After adding that ramp I swear I played my rule-less digital prototype for 2-3 hours. It was suddenly REALLY fun to shoot even with no scoring to shoot for. That's when I knew I had something worth building, and the rest of this project started soon after.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
At this point I had the party for my Twilight Zone restoration coming up, and I decided to code some rules for my digital prototype in visual pinball. I got started quickly since I was able to copy code from my previous project. I knew that these rules should only be basic, as they would be later thrown out in favor of coding on a real platform, but I wanted to demo to people how the basic game would be played to get them excited and get valuable feedback. I ended up with around 700 lines of code (450 or so copy pasted from previous project) and a mostly playable demo. It was FUN. I loaded it onto my digital pinball coffee table (previous project) and everyone at the party enjoyed it. It was at this party that Mark the creator of Metroid pinball brought me a bunch of parts from his donor game and a surprise playfield plywood to get me started. If you haven't seen his game you are seriously missing out: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metroid-pinball
Since then, I've been slowly collecting parts, and started re-coding the game using the Mission Pinball Framework. One of their users created a bridge between MPF and Visual pinball so I am able to start writing real code using my digital prototype before I even start building. I'm a few weeks in, and have a basic game running, one major game mechanic completed, and just finished my first game-play mode tonight. I also picked up my donor cabinet today which is why I decided I finally have enough substance to this project that its worth starting a thread. I'll write a post detailing the code I have done so far soon. In the meantime, here is the donor cab: a really rough looking but surprisingly solid Space Shuttle cabinet.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Can’t wait to see how this turns out! Sonic definitely was the most obvious character to NEVER be brought to pinball. I mean literally one of the first genesis games was Sonic Spinball... so bizarre they left the door wide open!

#3 4 years ago

Cool following

#4 4 years ago

I am committed to reviewing all your updates!! I've been a BIG Sonic fan... and LOVE Sonic spinball on the Sega Genesis.. Still have not beaten it.

Curious to see how you plan to integrate/layout your perspective of using Sonic's strengths.... Too many ways to design this puppy.

Good luck and following!

#5 4 years ago

would be a tough one, Following.

#6 4 years ago

Following here!

#7 4 years ago

Needs a looping!

#8 4 years ago

Awesome idea for a homebrew! Never understood why the "Sega mascot" didn't get a Sega pin, especially with Spinball being a really fun Genesis game and the theme overall lending itself very well to pinball.

That mystery scoop should have the little computer monitor over it with a micro LCD inside and either give you 10 rings, invincibility (unlimited ball save), fast shoes (scoring), Tails (2-ball MB), or spikey ball (loss of rings). I assume 100 rings gets you Extra Ball?

And I don't know how it could happen, but with what looks like a spinner in the right ramp, if it could be a horizontal spinner that flipped images between Sonic and Robotnic, but always landed on Sonic (emulating the end of a level) that would be bad ass.

#9 4 years ago

First game I ever rented as a kid was sonic spinball.
First game I ever beat was the first sonic.

Definitely following.

#10 4 years ago

So awesome! Don’t think I would have any interest in pinball if weren’t for Spinball! Following!

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Awesome idea for a homebrew! Never understood why the "Sega mascot" didn't get a Sega pin, especially with Spinball being a really fun Genesis game and the theme overall lending itself very well to pinball.
That mystery scoop should have the little computer monitor over it with a micro LCD inside and either give you 10 rings, invincibility (unlimited ball save), fast shoes (scoring), Tails (2-ball MB), or spikey ball (loss of rings). I assume 100 rings gets you Extra Ball?
And I don't know how it could happen, but with what looks like a spinner in the right ramp, if it could be a horizontal spinner that flipped images between Sonic and Robotnic, but always landed on Sonic (emulating the end of a level) that would be bad ass.

Everything you wrote here is already a planned feature. Great minds huh? I already bought the mini LCD

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Needs a looping!

We have 2 "loop" shots. The upper left flipper around the left orbit like The Getaway/Dr who, and the ACTUAL loop ramp which is on the left behind the stand ups. You shoot into the lower left most shot, and a mech like the catapult in MM kicks the ball around the loop ramp. I didn't think shooting a loop directly would work well (like gold wings) so I decided that in order to make it work the way I wanted, I needed to use a kicker coil so I could aim the shot and control the power to get it around the loop every time. If the loop shot fails, there is a one way gate system to put the ball back on the playfield, and a switch to tell the game it failed. If it succeeds, it goes around the left orbit shot and hits both spinners on the way

#13 4 years ago

So I suppose its a good idea to list out the planned features of the game, and specify the placeholders that are in the digital prototype. Ive already gotten several suggestions for features that are already planned (but how would you know if i haven't told you yet!?)

Here is a video of the visual pinball demo code in action. It showcases the basic flow of the main gameplay loop. Only a single mode was programmed for the demo, (hit all lit shots) but the boss is also functional.

Placeholders:
-Spinner on right ramp is a placeholder for a horizontal spinner in the same location
-3 drop target bank in the center is a placeholder for the "door" a bank of 3 stand up targets that goes up and down (AFM, BK2K)

Planned features / toys:
- Horizontal signpost spinner on right ramp
- Dr Robotnick in the center. Same mech as Saucer from AFM
- TV monitor near the right scoop with mini LCD that displays various power up icons. Technology may limit this to a slide show, but we will see what can be done with it.
- "loop" shot on the left side of the playfield. Entry works like the catapult from MM, Kicker will kick ball around large loop ramp.

Main game play loop:
- The goal of the game is collect the 7 chaos emeralds. Emeralds function similar to cities in AFM. The difference is, you need to beat a Zone in order to fight the boss to collect the emerald.

- Each Zone consists of two similar Acts. Finish act 1 and hit the signpost (horizontal spinner on the right ramp) to advance to act 2. finish act 2 and hit the center to open the door to the boss Dr. Robotnick. Robotnick functions like the saucer in AFM with some planned twists in later stages. The player is always in a Zone/Act/Boss. The next mode automatically begins when the previous is completed.

- Speed system: All mode scoring AND mode PROGRESS is multiplied by Sonic's current speed. Speed is built by hitting the spinners, and decays over time. Modes are not completed by hitting X number of shots, but by gaining X number of progress points, which are multiplied by speed. If Sonic is going fast, its possible to finish modes in 3-5 shots. If sonic is going slow, it may take over 10 shots to finish.

Extra features:
- Rings: Rings will function somewhat like Diamonds in Congo. They will be collected when shots with the ring lights are lit. Rings may re-lite each mode, or be infinitely lit in others. Rings will provide end of level (not ball) bonus, and lit other features in game. Rings are lost when a ball drains.

- Elemental shields will be collectable at the scoop. Water, Fire, and Lightning shields will each have their own unique properties and abilities.

- in addition to the 7 zones and their acts, 3 Special stages will be playable: Pipe run, Slot machine, and Blue Sphere stages. Wizard mode will be a secret, but should be obvious.
Choose your "game" - at the beginning of the game the player will be given a choice of which classic Sonic title they would like to play. (1,2,3, &K, 3DB, or M) this will change all of the games level titles, backgrounds, and music to match the selected game. If you beat the game, you will be able to choose another before continuing on.

#14 4 years ago

Sounds really cool! Sonic Spinball is the only reason I still have a Genesis at home. Good luck! Definitely following along!

#15 4 years ago

Great idea! I loved this game!

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from McSquid:

Everything you wrote here is already a planned feature. Great minds huh? I already bought the mini LCD

I applaud your attention to detail and theme integration!!!

#17 4 years ago

Good luck! Definitely will be watching this thread to see the progress and results.

#18 4 years ago

Looks cool, I'm looking forward to following your progress!

Just curious how you plan to deal with the extra height of a modern playfield in an older cabinet. Space shuttle has a little bit of extra room towards the back of the pf, but you'd run into issues in the lower part if I'm not mistaken. I'm working on a home brew and can't come up with a solution I like to add that extra height to my street-level donor cab.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from timtim:

First game I ever rented as a kid was sonic spinball.
First game I ever beat was the first sonic.
Definitely following.

But you didn't beat Sonic Spinball?I loved this genesis game and a game called Dragon's Fury
was also great!Did anybody here ever beat either one of these great games?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from etlandfill:

Looks cool, I'm looking forward to following your progress!
Just curious how you plan to deal with the extra height of a modern playfield in an older cabinet. Space shuttle has a little bit of extra room towards the back of the pf, but you'd run into issues in the lower part if I'm not mistaken. I'm working on a home brew and can't come up with a solution I like to add that extra height to my street-level donor cab.

Ive been discussing this with my cabinet guy (im outsourcing the cab work) If he can build one from scratch im sure we can modify. I figure worst case scenario I install a modern playfield mounting solution, and get extra tall back legs / levelers to get the lost angle back. Or ill go back to the drawing board and find another cabinet. I was lucky enough to get this one for free so no sunk cost limitations.

#21 4 years ago

Oh my,

only yet I've watched the Video and whikle I meant and hoped for a 'vertical' Loop, the game -as is whitewood VPinnish- allready does the license justice.

Collecting Emeralds as you Progress is a great idea (in wizard mode they all should turn yellow for Super Sonic), that you can kinda Progress the stages and the music changes, the fast loop, that "Spin Dash" Shot.
It somehow'd need a Robotnik toy or at least a droptarget? (If that's allready in there I'm sorry my smartphone display is tiny.)

So: I'm very impressed!

What I maybe would change is put the chaos emerald inserts down for better viewability... depends of course for what you planned for that area.

#22 4 years ago

Could you put a trap door before the loop and have it ride a subway under playfield to another location or two with a diverted at certain stages during game play.

#23 4 years ago

Incorporate the wire forms from lw3 ramp... gotta have some loops like that
Or at least de Star Wars

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Incorporate the wire forms from lw3 ramp... gotta have some loops like that
Or at least de Star Wars

Nah. The Loop is at the beginning.
The way it is now it is just superfast, that's awesome.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Oh my,
only yet I've watched the Video and whikle I meant and hoped for a 'vertical' Loop, the game -as is whitewood VPinnish- allready does the license justice.
Collecting Emeralds as you Progress is a great idea (in wizard mode they all should turn yellow for Super Sonic), that you can kinda Progress the stages and the music changes, the fast loop, that "Spin Dash" Shot.
It somehow'd need a Robotnik toy or at least a droptarget? (If that's allready in there I'm sorry my smartphone display is tiny.)
So: I'm very impressed!
What I maybe would change is put the chaos emerald inserts down for better viewability... depends of course for what you planned for that area.

In addition to the "looping" shot, There is indeed a "vertical loop" ramp on the left side of the playfield behind the stand ups. its tough to see on the visual pin but its there and will be there in real life. You don't shoot it directly. it works like the catapult from MM. a kicker kicks it around the vertical loop.

watch the video at 0:26

#26 4 years ago

Yeah it doesnt work too well in visual pinball so I had to crank the kicker power and the result is you cant really see the ball go around the loop. It will look/work much better in real life I hope.

1 week later
#27 4 years ago

Big update.

I spent a good portion of the holidays knocking out some of the more difficult code foundations. Going to focus on physical build for a while now. I realize I never updated this thread with any of my previous code versions. This will catch you up as to where Im at:

Previously:
- Basic game. Flips. tracks 3 balls. game over. repeat.
- basic attract mode
- 2 zones with 2 acts each completed
- boss mode completed
- speed system complete including scoring and progress multipliers
- basic display with a few animations: sonic running animation changes with "speed"

New in this version:

-Stage select is complete.
-Main gameplay loop is complete minus shows (Act1 >Sign> Act2> Boss> Repeat) Sign is going to be absorbed by Act1, First shot of boss (door) is going to be absorbed by Act2
-Multiplayer implemented with only a few minor bugs
-New display layout
-New playfield inserts/insert layout
-Music (buggy) added, a few sound effects
-a few new attract light shows

Gameplay Video:

New insert layout:
Proto4 (resized).pngProto4 (resized).png

In addition, I spent this evening stripping the cabinet for pickup by my cabinet restoration guy.

My entire Christmas list was parts for this project. I have a massive shipment coming in tomorrow. I'll post another update then!
FJIMG_20200101_173955 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_173955 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_191058 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_191058 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_194225 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_194225 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_195455 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_195455 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_202735 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200101_202735 (resized).jpg

#28 4 years ago

Good job designing your game with MPF and VPX. Probably a lot easier than doing that with real hardware.

#29 4 years ago

Merry Christmas to me

No going back now.

3x flippers
Pop bumper
Autoplunger
15x stand up targets
2x slings
Appearing post
Lane guides
15x rollover switches
15x star posts
Kickback assembly (for loop)
Strongest general use could I could find (A-22-550) for loop
Punch arm (for saucer/robotnick)
Shooter rod parts
Trough coil bracket
Silicon rubber kit
FJIMG_20200102_124804 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200102_124804 (resized).jpg

#30 4 years ago

Attempting to learn some Fusion360 so I can get my first whitewood playfield cut. Just ordered inserts.

I was provided with an excellent "lower third" file to start with so I know all the typical bottom measurements will be correct. I layered my VPX blueprint over it to add the inserts. This is basically the same approach I was going to do in real life (print up the blueprint and stick it on the wood) so this might actually save me some time if I cut out more with the CNC using this method. even though things don't line up perfectly, they are pretty close, and will probably produce results as accurate as me measuring and cutting things on my own. Then the next time I want to make a playfield I can just adjust everything in a relative way. (move that post 1/4 inch from where it is now, as oppose to, post is 13 inches from the edge instead of 12 3/4)

I've had some people offer to help me with coding already, but if anyone is particularly skilled in fusion 360 or CNC routing wants to hop on board with this project, I will welcome the assistance.

fusion360forcnc (resized).pngfusion360forcnc (resized).png
#31 4 years ago

Looks awesome! Great idea developing first on MPF and VPX! I heard the two could link up, but never thought of trying it.

You've probably already considered this, but it might look good having the background scroll in a loop in the opposite direction of Sonic. In my last homebrew, I created a seamless background looping gif and used it to make it appear as if a spaceship in the center of the DMD was flying through space. You can control the speed of the scrolling in MPF with the fps setting to match the current speed of Sonic.

You could even create two or more separate layers for your background (eg: one for the ground, one for the mountains and one for the sky) and run the layers at slightly different speeds to create a parallax effect.

#32 4 years ago

I love that it has multiple spinners.
Seems really fitting for the theme and spinners rule.

#33 4 years ago

This is looking really good and I also like that you started with VPX/MPF. I just started planning a game myself and was going to go that route so it's nice to see it validated.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from matthies:

Looks awesome! Great idea developing first on MPF and VPX! I heard the two could link up, but never thought of trying it.
You've probably already considered this, but it might look good having the background scroll in a loop in the opposite direction of Sonic. In my last homebrew, I created a seamless background looping gif and used it to make it appear as if a spaceship in the center of the DMD was flying through space. You can control the speed of the scrolling in MPF with the fps setting to match the current speed of Sonic.
You could even create two or more separate layers for your background (eg: one for the ground, one for the mountains and one for the sky) and run the layers at slightly different speeds to create a parallax effect.

I have considered the background. Scrolling It's been put on the back burner but I hope to implement something like it in the final product. Sonic is also going to run from the left to the right side of the screen as a mode progress bar, but I'm having issues with animations and switching images for run speed. So that feature is commented out for now.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I love that it has multiple spinners.
Seems really fitting for the theme and spinners rule.

I put the second spinner in as an experiment and really liked it with the 2 spinners on a single shot. make it a looping shot and I fell in love.

Spinners are awesome and I feel they aren't made important enough on modern games. Tying the spinners to the central multiplier mechanic makes them pretty damn important

#36 4 years ago

Bye Space Shuttle,
When you return no one will even recognize you.

FJIMG_20200107_113704 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200107_113704 (resized).jpg
#37 4 years ago

There's some Sega flippers that have Sonic's face on them, will you be using some of those or just other flippers? Just kinda curious! Not sure how common they are, I've just seen them put in random other machines sometimes.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from PinTweeter:

There's some Sega flippers that have Sonic's face on them, will you be using some of those or just other flippers? Just kinda curious! Not sure how common they are, I've just seen them put in random other machines sometimes.

I did get some of those flipper bats from pinball life yes

#39 4 years ago

I can't wait to play your VPX table

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

I can't wait to play your VPX table

I'll release the VPX demo when the whitewood debuts. Hopefully at Pintastic in June

#41 4 years ago

Getting a little better with fusion 360. I added the circle inserts, switch holes, and some GI holes where they seemed to fit. I still need to get the triangle and rectangle inserts in there, and measure the playfields in my basement for some switch holes. Definitely gonna cut one/two out of cheapo plywood to test fit things before the real thing. but I might get to start building soon.

FB_IMG_1578546051493 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1578546051493 (resized).jpg
#42 4 years ago

That will be awesome! It is looking amazing so far!
I have a couple pins at the house that are in BAAAAD shape... That I am considering rethemeing and using MPF to control. I need a Supernatural table for my wife and a TN Vols table for me

#43 4 years ago

I might be ready to get my first playfield cut. I probably made mistakes so we will ruin some cheap plywood first. I decided that no matter how good I am at printing up the blueprints, it probably wouldn't be as good as overylaying the image in CAD. So Instead of just doing the lower 3rd and inserts I did all the other major holes. I'll probably change my mind again and add post holes and skip the blueprint overlay step all together.

fusion360forcnc3 (resized).pngfusion360forcnc3 (resized).png
#44 4 years ago

First draft PF ready for cutting.

fusion360forcnc4 (resized).pngfusion360forcnc4 (resized).png
#45 4 years ago

following.

1 week later
#46 4 years ago

currently waiting on CNC test piece. So working on other stuff in the meantime.

Robonick center bash toy.

Original model by WinderBlitz.

now in .STL and ready to be 3d printed after mounting geometry is added.
robotnick mesh2 (resized).pngrobotnick mesh2 (resized).pngrobotnick mesh (resized).pngrobotnick mesh (resized).png

1 week later
#47 4 years ago

Test cnc piece is on the way! we shall see what fits tomorrow

84533146_733756949023_6594370603048763392_o (resized).jpg84533146_733756949023_6594370603048763392_o (resized).jpg
#48 4 years ago

CNC test was a huge success. Only a few minor issues that are easily fixed. Doing one more test piece, then we will be ready to cut the whole PF

FJIMG_20200206_145933 (resized).jpgFJIMG_20200206_145933 (resized).jpg
#49 4 years ago

Looking great so far! Pretty easy to work mpf with vpx?

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from king_pin:

Looking great so far! Pretty easy to work mpf with vpx?

Once you get it up and running yes its pretty easy to use. I'm going to attempt to improve the existing documentation and examples to help others have an easier time setting it up in the future.

There are 1,171 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-the-hedgehog-spinball/ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.