• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jackblotto
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-6b_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jackblotto.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Just got the game this weekend and am in the process of ordering a manual and schematics for this game. Trying to work my way through some things without them.

First problem is that the Advance Bonus When Lit lights are not working, nor is the Spinner 1,000 when Lit light. Suppose it could be all of those sockets, but suspecting something more sinister at work. I think the scoring bonus itself may be on at times when the right sequence of targets are hit, but the lights are never on. The Spinner light also never come on. On EM's how does the socket get lit once you hit a certain stage? Is there a particular relay or something I should be targeting?

Second problem is there are 2 switches along the outer playfield, around the middle up in the area of the pop bumpers. These 2 switches are not labeled at all and when hitting them during gameplay, nothing happens. Not even sure what it supposed to happen? Anybody know what those are for so I can look for a relay or something that they run to? The one on the left is just above the hole capture feature.

Thanks, D

#3 8 years ago

Will try that, thanks.

#5 8 years ago

Yes Rolf, those are the ones. So I should be able to follow the wires back to a 10 Pt relay, correct? Without the schematics, this is tough. Need those to get here quickly.

Thanks, David

#7 8 years ago

Ok, finally finding my way back to this.

Lights - looks like I have a combination of things to run down here, but the Bonus Lights are working, a few others are not. I can advance the bonus stepper to make each bonus light come on. I was expecting when I turned the game on that all would come on, but only the 70,000 was which confused me. Turns out that's where the stepper was last time the game was played before I started testing. Starting from scratch again to see what "actual" lighting problems I have beyond bad bulbs and my own lack of understanding. More soon I suspect.

100 Pt's - So, it seems as if the Spinner gives 100 Pts (except when lit) and is working. The Rollover Stars give 100 Pts, working. The Slings should give 100 Pts from what I'm told here, NOT WORKING. Those 2 Switches up-top I started this part of the thread with give 100 Pts, NOT WORKING. Trying to work my way back from the Slings and those 2 Switches. Found the 100 Pt Relay in the backbox too. Think I found the Coil (connected to a relay that I can't read the label too yet) under the playfield that may be in-play if I follow your path from above. Thinking it goes from those 2 switches to that Relay and Coil. Gonna poke around there tomorrow.

BTW, to find that relay, I tried the trick somebody talked about elsewhere, turn off the lights and engage a switch to see what is firing. Found it when I closed the star roll-over switch and saw the quick flash in the backbox.

#8 8 years ago

Update, so the slingshot switches you describe Rolf and the 2 Switches up top, both connect to a Coil on the "No. Match Relay" under the playfield. The switches at the relay seem to be adjusted fine, but it doesn't seem to "fire" when the slings or the 2 switches are closed. Even if it did, what is it supposed to do? Now I am confused a little more. Why are they even connected to that relay? Shouldn't they be connected to the 100Pt Relay?

From watching a video on youtube of the game Rolf, you're are correct, both should be scoring points.

I need the schematic to get here now.

#10 8 years ago

Wow Rolf, lots to think about. Let me try and answer.

- There is no "10 Pt." reel, it is fake. So no 10 Pt relay either.

- Slings work, but do not give points, can't jumper from there.

- Stars and Spinner seem to be on a different circuit maybe? They can also score more when hit for Bonus (Stars when lit) and 1,000 (Spinner when lit). So not sure how we would jumper yet?

- Found another standup target up top too that doesn't work, same circuit.

- Have spare fuses, no worries there.

- Previous owners had no idea how to work the pinball machine, was part of the deal when they bought their house, no help there.

So one side of the circuit that is not working goes like this I think, wire color looks White/Green:

No. Match Relay Coil (end) -> Standup <-> Standup <-> Sling <-> Sling <-> Standup (end)

Not sure where this Circuit runs to to get the 100Pts Yet and why it's not working. Is it possible I'm not seeing where this runs up into the backbox to the 100Pt relay (this is where that relay exisits)?

When the game is running, if I engage the No. Match Relay by hand, it doesn't score points, but something else happens, maybe changes bonus or something, need to track this down. The only thing that looks weird is somebody put the game on "free play" somehow on the coin door, wondering if that could be a clue?

SCHEMATICS on the way

Thanks, David

#11 7 years ago

OK, got the schematic and manual. The schematic is enormous, like > 6ft long! Looks like to me the No. Match Relay (M-29-1100) coil is bad. Did a rudimentary ohms test on it and I get nothing, whereas other coils test ok. Seems to be good continuity between the switches on the playfield and the No. Match Relay. The No. Match Relay is supposed to send a pulse to the 100Pt. Relay in the Backbox when engaged, but it doesn't seem to during gameplay. Engaged the relay by hand and sure enough, 100Pt Relay is engaged and scores 100Pts. So both relays seem fine, but the coil on the No. Match Relay is not working to make the relay work.

May not be describing this well, but seems to make sense to me. Let me know if I'm out in left field still, thinking I just need to replace that coil which I think is the same as a Williams coil of the same name from what I have read about these parts?

Thanks, D

1 week later
#12 7 years ago

Things not quite right yet. Just got a M-29-1100 coil for the No. Match Relay from another pinsider here (thanks!) and installed it. This actually fixed the scoring issue with the standup targets and sling shots not scoring 100Pts as this is in the path for that circuit to get to the 100Pt Relay in the head. The problem now though is that this relay is also used for the Advance Bonus where the Bonus and Specials lite up, but move from side-to-side, ie hit something and the inlanes and outlane bonus/specials move to the other side of the playfield. Noticed that when I hit a standup target the lights go off/on and the bonus/specials move if needed (if they are active). Sometimes the lights dim and then brighten again. Then after a couple of times, or sometimes the first time, the 15A fuse blows under the playfield and the lights go out. Previously when the relay was not working, the fuse did go out a couple of times, now it's just easier to make it happen.

Not sure how to track that one down?

I do have the schematic now at least.

#13 7 years ago

Nevermind ..... forgot I had a lamp socket that I found that was broken, it was creating a short. Only costs me some fuses I guess.

Now, just have to figure out why the "1000 When Lit" light at the Spinner and the "Advance Bonus" light just below don't come on.

#15 7 years ago

Well, my main issue is still learning to read the schematics, that is just plan hard for still!

It "looks" like I have run the last things down. Sure something else will come up, but for this moment I think the game is playing well. Fun game too. Thanks to all who helped!!!!

- Lights not working at spinner as mentioned above. Those lights go to the Bonus Unit Stepper under they playfield. Cleaned the contacts on the stepper and what-do-ya-know, lights are working now as they should. Sweet.

- Standups and Slings not scoring 100 Pts. That was the No. Match Relay replacement for both and some switch adjustments specific to the slings.

- Replaced a few sockets too and a few other smaller details.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jackblotto.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-super-straight-some-targets-and-lights-not-working?tu=jackblotto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.