coinschema_(resized).JPG
PTDC0001_(resized).JPG
aaFaces-Schema-Step-Up_(resized).jpg
Draw_on_Pictures_1454383834733_(resized).PNG
wcoin2_(resized).jpg
IMG_6024.JPG
schem444_stitch1.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I get through the start sequence just fine. (Yes, there are still problems with the sticky player stepper in the back box which is why I fix it with my hand.) It just will not play a one player game. It continues to play through four players and I don't know why. Suggestions?

#2 9 years ago

I have had a similar situation happen before, I think it was on my Monaco. Is the stepper in the back box on in reverse? I think there is an alignment hole that goes to the top right hand corner. Check that.

I don't recall if the Sonic's have the alignment hole like this picture from a Williams Grand Prix, which uses a similar unit.

http://www.pleasureandpinball.se/gp/gpbilderbackbox/IMG_1757.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Looks like the same unit. I've reversed it and it lines up the same. The problem is that this unit gets pulsed everytime the ball drains when it shouldn't. This is what cycles you through a four player game. For a one player game it should just sit there. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll try anything at this point!

#4 9 years ago

ohhh... crazy thought here...

what does 1 credit equal ?

some games were configurable so that 1 credit actually equaled more games than 1.
(could just be newer games)

does this game support configuring credits per coinage?
some physical settings somewhere?

#5 9 years ago

There is such a thing. It's how many coins it takes to make 1 credit and one credit is still one game. The credit unit goes back one game as it should. The thing is it's the credit stepper that determines how many people play and it never moves. It stays in the one player position so it should be impossible for the game to play four.

#6 9 years ago

There are two steppers on the bottom board..a ball count stepper and and player count stepper. Check out the player count stepper and make sure it can reset to the home (one player) position. Many times the peg on this stepper cog gets stuck on the wrong side of the switches making it impossible for the stepper to reset to its home position.

#7 9 years ago

Yep. If you look around the 34-35 second mark on the video you can see it. Not clearly, but it is there. That's the main point I don't get. If that stepper stays in the one player position, and it does, how could it possibly play a four player game?

#8 9 years ago

Next step would be to review the schematic and look at every switch involved with the step up coil on the player unit in the head of the game. Do you have a schematic?

Another thought...did you rebuild the player unit on the bottom board apart? If so, are the contacts on the wiper in line with the contacts on the board?..and are ALL of the contacts on the wiper touching??(sometimes these get bent)

#9 9 years ago

I have disassembled, cleaned and reassembled all of the stepper units. The game manual has diagrams that show where the wipers should be at the zero position and all are good.

schem444_stitch1.jpgschem444_stitch1.jpg
#10 9 years ago

I've been noticing this on my Prospector lately as well. Shows 1 player game but goes on to 2,3 an 4 players. Not an all the time thing, but annoying. Let me know if you find the smoking gun!

#11 9 years ago

Score motor 2A. What does that look like? Looks like that us what pulses for the player unit step up.

#12 9 years ago

Agreed. Normally open by the schematic and it is. When the motor turns and the notch hits it closes as it should which would activate the player unit step-up solenoid. I would think that the coin unit would be along the way and stop that from happening unless it was on a 2, 3 or 4 player game, right? Just guessing here, I don't know but it makes sense.

#13 9 years ago

Okay. Can you take a couple pictures of the coin and ball count steppers?

#15 9 years ago

The player unit is advancing when it should not.. does it do the same thing on 3 ball play ??
I'm actually picking up a Super Straight on Sunday Jan 11...
From what i saw in the photos the seller sent me, the 2 slingshot plastics are broken at the bottom corner in the blue section.. would you happen to have 2 extra ones ??
Let me know, thanks
Chaz

#16 9 years ago

3-ball or 5-ball play it is the same. Hope to get into the coin unit tonight or tomorrow and see what the hay.

#17 9 years ago

Chaz - lower right corner, u-shaped plastic is the broken one. All others are flat and uncracked.

IMG_6024.JPGIMG_6024.JPG
#18 9 years ago

Problem resolved. Hard to find malfunction of the coin unit. Thanks to all for advice and suggestions!

1 year later
#19 8 years ago

What was the malfunction of the coin unit?

#20 8 years ago

Sorry, but I ended up with no time this weekend. I'm putting a link here to where I resolved the problem on the Acrylic Pinball Project blog.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-acrylic-pinball-project-i-am-clearly-insane/page/23

Start with entry #1122. The coin unit, in resetting hundreds of times over the years, had worn out the stopper indent so much it let the spring take it back farther than it needs to go. Thus, the thing would always play a four player game. Hopefully the pictures will help you to see what I am getting at. If not, I'll post more here. If your machine has the same problem, no worries. It's an easy fix. If not, let me know and we'll work on it together. Do you have the manual for the game?

#21 8 years ago

I am not with the pin right now. I bet that is my problem. I have looked at the one on pinrepair and mine looks like it goes back way to far compared to what it shows. As far as mine goes back its possible my indent might even be broken. Here is pic off of pinrepair and the 2nd with green dot shows about where mine sets at reset.

wcoin2_(resized).jpgwcoin2_(resized).jpg

Draw_on_Pictures_1454383834733_(resized).PNGDraw_on_Pictures_1454383834733_(resized).PNG

#22 8 years ago

The easiest way to find out is to check the continuity of the arm at the reset position. If there is none, that's your problem. That's why I asked if you had the manual. It has a diagram showing where the arms should be.

#23 8 years ago

Let me ask this also. The peg that hits the switch. Well mine will never hit it. It is that far out of adjustment. The question is this the switch is suppose to be closed at reset when you start 1 player game. When is this switch suppose to open? Should it stay closed until the 4 player game is started? So 1player closed 2player closed 3player closed 4player open. Because i will have to set this switch correctly also. Like i said the peg will not even touch it now even if you spun it all the way past it. Don't know how it got like that.

#24 8 years ago

Hi pinballman3
I refer to https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-super-straight-gameplay -> post-19, -20 etc.
The Switch on the Coin Unit is NOT the cause of the problem "ALWAYS a 4 player game". This switch shall be closed "1 player wants to play a game", closed "2 players ...", closed "3 players ... " and by stepping to "4 players ..." the switch opens -> another (stupid) pressing the Replay-Button has NO effect - NO (trying of) starting a game for a fifth player (the pin is built for maximum 4 players).

The cause of the problem "ALWAYS a 4 player game" is: The Player-Unit and the Coin-Unit cannot communicate - most likely the Coin-Unit is faulty. Lets look at a working

2 player game, 3 balls per play: player-1-ball-1 -> pl-2-b-1 ***-> pl-1-b-2 -> pl-2-b2 ***-> pl-1-b3 -> pl-2-b-3 -> Game-Over.

YOUR faulty pin "***->" at the very moment of stepping up: The player-Unit sends a signal -> The Coin-Unit should get - but does not get the signal -> the Coin-Unit does NOT "make the player-Unit step back to player-1".

You have a manual -> please show us a PDF or a JPG of the page of the manual SHOWING the Coin-Unit --- and the page showing the Player-Unit.
You have a schema -> pleas show the snippet (PDF or JPG) of the area "Player-Unit and coin-Unit and Ball-Count-Unit and Player-Reset-Relay. I show the snippet of "Sonic Faces" for an example.
BUT: I would like to see the "Super Straight" wiring and the COLORS of the wires.
Greetings Rolf

aaFaces-Schema-Step-Up_(resized).jpgaaFaces-Schema-Step-Up_(resized).jpg

#25 8 years ago

I know the switch is not the problem of it only playing a 4 player game. I just needed to know how this switch was suppose to work. Which you answered. Thank you. Mine is so far out of adjustment it might as well just have the 2 wires tied together because nothing ever hits it. I will look at it tomorrow i hope.

#26 8 years ago

pinballman3, here is how the wiper side of the coin unit should look at reset. The switch on the opposite side should be closed. As you add players the unit will advance. The switch should open when you add the fourth player and not before. Let me clarify... the unit will reset upon a one player game being initiated. It will advance for players 2, 3 and four and the switch should open when you add player four.
PTDC0001_(resized).JPGPTDC0001_(resized).JPG

#27 8 years ago

rolf - as requested.
coinschema_(resized).JPGcoinschema_(resized).JPG

#28 8 years ago

Thanks all it is going now. It actually ended up being dirty contacts on the coin unit. I cleaned them all up good and it plays as it should. The 4 player switch on the coin unit. Which i have come to find out all it is for is to keep you from trying to start a 5th game and loosing a coin. The switch was so bad that it made it look like the unit was off. Thanks again

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-super-straight-gameplay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.