You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

prospector3.jpeg
prospector3.jpeg
prospector2.jpeg
#1 10 years ago

Just picked up a Sonic Prospector last night- I was very surprised that the playfield cleaned up as well as it did- what's the difference in this playfield material as opposed to the other williams and gottlieb playfields? Most ball swirl marks cleaned up with my inital wipe down of the playfield- it was pretty dirty and had been in this gentlemans house with a sheet of plexiglass that was broken-in lieu of glass- I just got all the dust and dirt off of it and was pretty impressed that it cleaned up as nice as it did.

prospector2.jpegprospector2.jpeg prospector3.jpegprospector3.jpeg prospector3.jpegprospector3.jpeg

#2 10 years ago

Prospector is a super fun game! The theme might not be the greatest, unless you're a Laurel and Hardy fan, bu tthe game play makes up for it. Those Sonic games almost always have a great playfield- they used a tough clear even back then. Have fun! I hope to have a stable of sonics some day.

#3 10 years ago

The Sonic games have a factory clear coat on the playfields (not sure of the material, maybe a urethane?), so they hold up extremely well (much better than the factory lacquer from the Chicago mfgs).

#4 10 years ago

Fabulous looking game, nice score!

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

maybe a urethane?

Rumor has it they applied Duponts Imron 500 clear <good stuff ,the Mars Trek I have here has that same clear coat, cleaned up nice!
Also was applied to the cabinet,backbox,and the back door as its has that urethane feel/look to it.

#6 10 years ago

The cabinet has yellowed considerably- as soon as I finish Lady Luck- I'll get into the cleaning and sorting this game out- couple of small issues to repair that shouldn't be too bad.... I can't get over the playfield!

#7 10 years ago

No issues with backglass either... whatever they did differently- it held up very well!

#8 10 years ago

Prospector is a great game that I have not played since it was on location back in the 70's and on my Wishlist. It is the one and only Sonic I want.

Great find! Love the Laurel and Hardy theme and the Artwork was done well.

Have Fun!

Ken

#9 10 years ago

Great game, the best sonic game imo. Like the theme too. Always a fave when people come over.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks! I'm certian at some point in time this machine will make it out of my home and into another pinheads hands- unless the wife lets me remove some furniture

#11 10 years ago

Sonic clear coated the playfields. Generally just cleaning the playfield with Novus cleans it up like brand new.

Back in the day, we had a Prospector and a couple of Mars Trek machines on the route. Very reliable and were good earners.

#12 10 years ago

If B/W's Gottlieb and Chicago Coin, used Sonics clear, CPR would be out of business LOL

We would all have games with great PF's

They hold up amazingly well !

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-prospector-new-arrival and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.