Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BE87B999-4900-4F9C-91DD-B28D6CD95D3B (resized).jpeg
E6A42685-FEBE-4F02-A464-967CE7AC6822 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Just picked up a Mars Trek. Turns on but when game is started it continually tries to zero out.
Where should I start looking? Game has significant rust/moisture damage. I was thinking that most likely corrosion has build up on the contacts?

Help appreciated!

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

when game is started it continually tries to zero out

Can you be a little more specific or even post a video?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Can you be a little more specific or even post a video?

Will post tonight! The best I can describe is that when you hit start all the reels try to reset themselves to “0” all the way across but several digits just keep spinning and spinning in all of them. I’d have to verify but it looked like the 1st and the 3rd on all 4 reels.

#4 5 years ago

Check the spinning reels to ensure that all 3 switch are open at the zero position..like this:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-score-reel-operation-animation

Also, check to make sure the bonus showing in the center of the playfield steps down to zero.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

Check the spinning reels to ensure that all 3 switch are open at the zero position..like this:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-score-reel-operation-animation
Also, check to make sure the bonus showing in the center of the playfield steps down to zero.

I will absolutely check this out! Thanks for that, it's a very helpful link!

Do you know if I manually set them all to zero, the machine in theory shouldn't try to "re-zero" out the reels that already read zero? So if everything is zero and open then the head, at the very least, should be good to go?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I will absolutely check this out! Thanks for that, it's a very helpful link!
Do you know if I manually set them all to zero, the machine in theory shouldn't try to "re-zero" out the reels that already read zero? So if everything is zero and open then the head, at the very least, should be good to go?

If all three switches on each score reel are not open at the zero position the game may continue to attempt to reset...even if you manually put the reels in the zero position. The good news is that the switches are easy to see (compared to Gottlieb).. The reels that continue to spin are the first ones that I would check.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

If all three switches on each score reel are not open at the zero position the game may continue to attempt to reset...even if you manually put the reels in the zero position. The good news is that the switches are easy to see (compared to Gottlieb).. The reels that continue to spin are the first ones that I would check.

After I advanced them through a few times the problem reels started working properly. They’ll need to be properly cleaned but for now they do the job. It appears my issue has been thinned down to 2 relays in the backbox.

BE87B999-4900-4F9C-91DD-B28D6CD95D3B (resized).jpegBE87B999-4900-4F9C-91DD-B28D6CD95D3B (resized).jpegE6A42685-FEBE-4F02-A464-967CE7AC6822 (resized).jpegE6A42685-FEBE-4F02-A464-967CE7AC6822 (resized).jpeg

These guys are still energizing constantly. I tried to briefly hold them both closed and also work them back and forth in an attempt to free them up. Not sure what I should be checking for these 2, but these are the only things still engaging with the score motor attempting to start a game

#8 5 years ago

Here is a good video showing the start up sequence of a williams 4 player game. It will apply to your sonic game. I'd pull each reel and make sure all three switches are open at zero. Also, make sure the bonus stepper is able to freely decrement to the zero position.

1 month later
#9 5 years ago

To tidy up this post and possibly help future pinsiders, I found my issue by using the good ol' fashioned paper strips technique, recommended by @drsfmd

You cut up paper strips and place them between all your relay contacts on the bottom, then remove them one by one until you start getting your reset issue. This helped isolate my issue, which was dirty, pitted contacts. I also found the very first score reel had the E clamp rust so badly it disintegrated. This caused a contact issue in the reels which it wasn't spinning but it wasn't properly reading zero either.

Hope this helps someone!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-mars-trek-reset-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.