(Topic ID: 197192)

Sonic Butteryfly locked 1000 point relay and more..

By bonzo71

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by bonzo71
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stuck switch (resized).png
0Butterfly-Work-04 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
0Butterfly-pinside-Work-03 (resized).jpg
reset 17 and 19 (resized).JPG
reset 13 and 15 (resized).jpg
reset 5 and 7 (resized).jpg
reset 9 and 11 (resized).JPG
reset 1 and 3 (resized).jpg
reset bank (resized).JPG
butterfly 1000 point wide (resized).JPG
0Butterfly-pinside-Work-02 (resized).jpg
0Butterfly-pinside-Work-01 (resized).jpg
butterfly 1000 point relay (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I’m having 2 issues with my Sonic Butterfly that I having trouble fixing. I’m not sure if they are related or not, but thought I’d mention them together.

1. The 1000 point relay locks during reset and I cannot get it to turn off. When the playfield is detached, the 1000 point relay does not lock. I know that typically indicates a locked switch on the playfield, but I cannot find one. I’ve tried blocking each switch with a post-it, but that does fix the issue. I’ve checked the eos switch on the 1000 reels and they are ok. As I advance the player unit, the issue follows through to each player. I had a bent snow shoe on the player unit, but I fixed it and even tried one from a different(working) game and to eliminate the possibility of the player unit being the issues.

2. When the ball enters the kickout hole in the upper left hand part of the playfield, the bonus unit advances all 10 steps to 100,000. This all happens within ½ turn of the score motor. I believe it should increase once when there are no lit lamps by the kickout.

The front screw on the double bonus relay on the reset bank is missing. The threaded hole that holds the screw is stripped. I’m looking for a replacement, but can’t find the correct size/diameter. I tried a 6-32 screw and the diameter was too large. My plan is to find slightly longer screw and attach a nut to the end. Does anyone know what diameter screw goes into a Williams switch stack (4-40 maybe)? I need one the is 2.5 inches for the nut. Although the screw is missing, The switches on this relay are operating properly. The bonus is 20,000 per step and when the double bonus is activated and the double bonus lamp lights when the relay is activated.

I've been struggling with this for over a month. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

butterfly 1000 point relay (resized).JPGbutterfly 1000 point relay (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Regarding the 1000 point relay, you might have a switch stack that is shorting out on the playfield. I've seen this happen a few times on Williams/Sonic machines where the plastic switch stack sleeve will break and the switch stack screw "bridges" the power from one switch blade to the other... You can use a multi-meter to see if there is any voltage at the switch stack screws. If voltage is present, then the switch stack is shorting...

#3 6 years ago

I'm going to try this now. My gut tells me to start with the double bonus stack. If not that one, I'll check the stacks in circuit to the 1000 relay (there are a plenty). My plan would be to clip on to the ground wire and start touching the screw heads with the other lead. Thanks for the suggestion!

#4 6 years ago

Hi bonzo71
the 1000-point-relay problem --- You write in post-1 "the relay locks during reset". Please give more details "along time-axis". The pin is toggled-off - no pulling, You toggle-on - no pulling ? You press the credit-button - no pulling ? There comes the time the RESET-Relay pulls-in --- the pin has Williams-logic - a switch on the pulling Reset-Relay opens and cuts powerside-connection to many relays etc --- cuts powerside-connection to 1000-points-relay AND to the flipperbats --- at this time: Can You move the flipperbats ?

You disconnect the playfield and the fault does not show up --- Yes - there are many switches on the playfield --- but also some relays are mounted on the underneathside of the playfield --- does one of these relays ALSO does faulty pull and stuck ?

You write in post-1 "as I advance the player-unit, the issue follows through to each player" --- please give more details --- does the faulty pulling 1000-point-relay let go for a short moment (as You move the player-unit) and then pull-in again ? Do the 1000-Point-Score-Drums (the one of the player according to position of player-unit) also stick ?

A short wire runs from one side of the Coil of the relay to "Switch mounted on the relay" --- is this switch truely open when the relay is not pulling ? Greetings Rolf

#5 6 years ago

Fredsmythson,
I’m seeing .1 volts on the screws and frame of the reset bank. Think I should start removing the screws one by one?

Rolf,

Timeline:
Game off=1000 point relay is not pulling.
Game Turned on=1000 point relay is not pulling
I hit start which pulls the reset relay. When the reset relay releases, the flippers work and the 1000 point relay locks.

When the playfield is disconnected the fault does not show up. None of the relays under the playfield are pulling or stuck.

If I manually advance the player unit, the 1000 point relay does not release as the player unit advances.

On the 1000 relay itself is brown wire with yellow stripes that that connects the coil lug to a switch on the relay. That switch is open when the relay is off.

#6 6 years ago

A reading of 0.10 volts wouldn't be enough volts to do anything. Might be phantom voltage or a ground issue, but this level of voltage would not energize the 1000 point relay coil.

If you checked all the playfield scoring switches, then you'll need to check other possible circuits that would send power to the 1000 point relay coil. One circuit has a switch at the 1000 point relay. Check the following:

1000 point relay switch - blue/red wire and brown/yellow wire

Make sure this switch is clean and adjusted properly. Also, check the wires on the switch stack to make sure they are not shorting.

#7 6 years ago

I just found that one of the two Brown/Yellow wires at the relay has a small spot of missing insulation and a black spot. I'm going to bypass that area tomorrow...crossing my fingers.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

I just found that one of the two Brown/Yellow wires at the relay has a small spot of missing insulation and a black spot. I'm going to bypass that area tomorrow...crossing my fingers.

No luck..that did not fix it. I have the playfield out and I've gone through the reset bank once more and all all switches are adjusted properly, no tabs touching each other and all wires are secure.

The manual indicates there are many switches linked to the 1000 point relay on the reset bank. Last night i took all of the back screws off the stacks on the reset bank...that changed nothing. I'm going to try the same with the front screws. I know the voltage check did not result in a positive result, but I have no other ideas..

#9 6 years ago

I'd first start checking all the normally open (NO) switches that send power to the 1000 point relay. Since there's a lot of switches to check, let's first check only the circuits that have one NO switch in a circuit. Check the following relays and switches:

Right bumper switch - yellow/green wire
Left bumper switch - yellow/blue wire
Alternator relay switch - yellow/blue wire; white/red wire; yellow/green wire
Target switches (x3)
Rollover switches (x3)
5000 point relay switch - white/blue wire and brown/yellow wire
1000 point relay switch - blue/red wire and brown/yellow wire
Left drop target switches
Center drop target switches
Right drop target switches

Check these switches and switch stacks to see if the switches are clean and adjusted properly. Also, check for shorting wires on the switch stacks...

#10 6 years ago

Hi bonzo71
thanks for the clarification (post-5) --- "AAA" the 1000-Point-Relay immediately pulls-in and stay pulling "when after resetting the Reset-Relay quits pulling and by that establishes Power-Side-Connection". "BBB" the fault does not show up when the playfield is disconnected.
THIS (AAA and BBB) tells us "99.99% chance that at least one switch on the playfield is faulty.

You did not write in post-5 about an "stuck Score-Drum". I would like You to say "I (bonzo71) do want to find the fault (endlessly pulling 1000-Point-Relay) --- at this time I do not want to play and make 1000 points and another and another" --- please do unsolder "my light-blue X" - unsolder the wire-blue-red - away from solder-lug "on the switch on 1000-Point-Relay" --- question: Does the fault no longer show up ?
Most likely the fault is still there (constanty pulling) - please have the wire unsoldered.

I agree with @fredsmithson --- You have a lot to check. Look here http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#fuses --- scroll down to the third picture showing an completely bent solder-lug - the picture shows the bent lug on an Playfield-Lamp - but this bending also can happen on Playfield-SWITCHES. My first JPG shows "encircled -light-green / lemon-green": Your pin has three "Target Switches" and has one or two Rollover-Switch(es). Look-out for a bent solder-lug.

"encircled dark-green" - the question-mark --- depending on the wiring on the left: An BENT "Switch on 5000-Point-Relay" could make the fault happen.

"encircled rosa/pink" - in an running pin the ball closes the "red Rollover-Switch" - this makes the "Red-Rollover-Relay" pull-in --- the (encircled red in the JPG) Switch does move and so along my red line - then downwards: The 1000-Point-Relay does actuate. IF (if, if) the Playfield-Switch is faulty always closed AND the "Switch on the Red-Rollover-Relay" is faulty moved / bent: Your fault happens.
I just show this on "Red-Rollover stuff" --- the written above may happen in "Purple / Yellow / Red / No-2-But / No-2-Ter / No-2-Fly stuff" - who knows ...

If You decide to investigate in this "who knows stuff" - see the second JPG --- maybe (maybe) in Your pin all these relays are mounted sitting side by side and short wires jump from switch to switch --- and one wire-brown-yellow then goes to Jones-Plug then to 1000-Point-Relay.

Do You have the Manual --- in there the positions of all relays should be mentioned: "Mech. Panel / Insert / Playfield" --- to verify my theory of "maybe all these relays are mounted sitting side by side (?)". Greetings Rolf

0Butterfly-pinside-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Butterfly-pinside-Work-01 (resized).jpg

0Butterfly-pinside-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Butterfly-pinside-Work-02 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

Rolf,

The score drum is also locked because of the locked 1000 point relay. When the ball count advances, the reel release and the score increments 1000 points and the 1000 point relay and reel are locked again. I do want to find the fault of the endlessly pulling 1000 point relay. I’ve unsoldered the blue-red wire from the lug on the 1000 point relay. The fault still exists.

I’ve visually checked all of the normally open switches as suggested by fredsmithson and cannot see any problems. My inspection has included looking for bent solder tabs and interfering items like lamp sockets and burnt cut wires. I see any issues.

I have the manual and will post the details for the reset bank relays.

butterfly 1000 point wide (resized).JPGbutterfly 1000 point wide (resized).JPG

#12 6 years ago

reset bank (resized).JPGreset bank (resized).JPG

reset 1 and 3 (resized).jpgreset 1 and 3 (resized).jpg

reset 9 and 11 (resized).JPGreset 9 and 11 (resized).JPG

reset 5 and 7 (resized).jpgreset 5 and 7 (resized).jpg

reset 13 and 15 (resized).jpgreset 13 and 15 (resized).jpg

reset 17 and 19 (resized).JPGreset 17 and 19 (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago

I can also email the full documents if that will help.

#14 6 years ago

Yes, one way to troubleshoot a circuit is to just disconnect one of the wires from the last switch in a circuit before the coil or solenoid. An easier way would be to use a multi-meter to see if you're getting power at a switch. You can choose one of the circuits that sends power to the 1000 point relay. For example, you could measure voltage at the 5000 point relay switch at the switch stack lugs. If there's approximately 24 volts at both switch stack lugs, then you know there's an issue with that switch, because it's a normally open switch.

Looking at the schematic, there are about 11 normally open switches that send power to the 1000 point relay. These switches are the last switches in their circuits that send power to the 1000 point relay coil. The exception to this would be one alternator relay switch and the number 1 "TER" relay switch. These switches are normally closed, so you would have to check the next normally open switch in the circuit...

#15 6 years ago

Hi bonzo71 and fred
I happen to "not being used to work with meters" --- so I do troubleshooting in other ways. This does not mean "using a meter is no good". One problem with using a meter is: There are so many connections in the pin and we may "measure around through windings on the transformer" and we get "faulty to our understanding" results.

bonzo71, the fault can be many places --- Your remark / observation in post-11 is very helpful "let go on ball count advance". In the snippet of schematics we use there is ONLY one spot that kind of is related with stepping to next player - to next ball: When an "players 100s-Score-Drum" is in position-9 and he makes another 100 points - then the 1000-Point-Relay is activated --- stepping to next player would cut the connection. But You are playing ONE-Player-Games and so the Player-Unit is not stepped.
There is another (implicit) thing happening when the Ball-Count-Unit is stepped to the next ball: The pin RESETS the Sequence Bank with the Playfield-Feature-Relays --- see my JPG. IF (if, if) the problem is (lets stick to maybe the Red-Rollover-Relay, post-10) "Red-Rollover-Relay is no good and the Playfield-Switch also is stuck": The resetting of the Sequence Bank when stepping to next ball - maybe the heavy / strong moving the huge reset-arm when resetting: The huge arm moves the armature of the (example) Red-Rollover-Relay - moves it MORE/FURTHER than normal "resting after beeing resetted" --- the switch therefore is moved more/further and the switch opens for a moment and so the faulty connection to the 1000-points-relay is cut --- maybe, maybe.

Question: Is one of the relays (JPG, along brown line) always plunged ? What happens when You take an wooden stick and do (one relay then next relay then next etc.) gently reset this relay - do the movement of the armature of the relay more/further as "normal resetting by the huge arm" ---question: Does this "manually Over-Resetting the relay (then another one, another one ...)" make the 1000-Points-Relay quit pulling ?

I actually made the JPG for looking at (brown in the JPG) wire connecting - talking about my brown question marks - but later. Please check for an "always plunged relay" / "please do manually over-reset every relay and the fault stops (hopefully) (?)". Greetings Rolf

0Butterfly-pinside-Work-03 (resized).jpg0Butterfly-pinside-Work-03 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

It's a lot to digest.. I may need a day to poke around and respond. I'm thankful for all of the help. I've repaired many games, but this is the first one in a while that's really given me extended trial.

#17 6 years ago

Here is more info from testing..

1. I believe the pop bumper score switches are not an issue because they each score 100 points correctly when they are not lit.
2. There are three 1000 point rollover switches on the play field not including the red, purple and yellow rollovers at the very top of the playfield. One at a time, I removed the Brown-Yellow wire and the fault still exists.
3. The three targets appear to be adjusted properly. Each target has 3 switch blades. I have verified there is no continuity between the center blade and the inner and outer blade of each leaf. Tomorrow I may to remove the Brown-Yellow wire from each of the 3 targets as a precaution.

Rolf,
I have manually tested the relay armatures on the reset ban and find that they are opening properly and fully resetting. I need to spend time tracing the reset bank wires to answer some of your other questions. With a magnifying glass and powerful light, I have verified that all of the switches on the reset bank are changing state as expected when the individual relays are manually activated.

I knew when I asked for help that this was going to be a tough one.

#18 6 years ago

Hi bonzo71
I still believe Your observation in post-11 is a great help to narrow down on the problem. When the pin changes to next ball: For a short period of time the 1000-point-Relay let go --- very nice - but WHY ? I suspected and still do: The Resetting of the Sequence Bank (I my be right - I may be wrong). So I asked You to take an wooden stick an manually do reset one of the relays - reset-the armature - and (as the pin is doing) OVER-Reset a bit.

I show a snippet of "Sonic Faces" - DANGER - the D1-24-1600 coils are operated by maybe half of 110 VAC or maybe full 110VAC or maybe half of 220 VAC. Please show a snippet of Your schematics showing the wiring to the D1-24-1600 Coil. THEN we may talk about using two Jumper-Wires and force feeding the Coil so YOU have control and can say NOW I MAKE the coil fire --- and a friend looks at the 1000-Point-Relay. We must find the reason why the 1000-point-relay quits pulling when the pin steps to the next ball --- we must verify the theory "Resetting of the Bank" - true or not true. Greetings Rolf

P.S.: I still do not like using meters --- and looking at switches may be good - but we may overlook a doghair crap of wire making faulty connection on the side of the switchblades - the side the wires are soldered-on.
P.P.S.: The first JPG is crap - I made an fault in uploading - I cannot thelete this first (crap) JPG --- the second JPG is the one to look at.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

0Butterfly-Work-04 (resized).jpg0Butterfly-Work-04 (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago

I'm very embarrassed. The issue was a switch on the playfield(circled in black). I did not know (or expect) that this switch would score 1000 points. Typically, a "dead" rubber with a scoring switch scores the lowest increment on a game. When I saw the Brown-Yellow wire attached, I had a gut feeling it was something I overlooked. Such a rookie mistake. Rolf and fredsmythson, than you for all of the great suggestions.

stuck switch (resized).pngstuck switch (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-butteryfly-locked-1000-point-relay-and-more and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.