View topic image gallery

pawls1 (resized).jpg
img1 (resized).jpg
img2 (resized).jpg
img3 (resized).jpg
img4 (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hello,

I have been working through restoring my Sonic Butterfly and have made it to the back box. I've got some sticking happening on various scoring wheels and the player stepper is sluggish and has reset issues, but I figured I'd start with the credit/match wheel as I thought it would be a quick fix before moving on to the other issues. Apparently I was wrong... I am having trouble figuring out what has happened and how to fix it.

The wheel (1-36, blank in between) travels between blank space (about half way between 1 and 36) to 13-14. I figured maybe the wheel needed to be rotated so I marked current position and removed the nut. It is keyed so I can only rotate it 180 degrees and doing so I still cannot get home position to be at zero. After rotating the wheel numbers do not line up so its previous position seems like the correct one, apart from the count being way off.

Any suggestions? I suspect I'm missing something obvious.

#2 7 years ago

Hi
the credit unit has a stop point. it is a cup on the frame, and a peg on the clock gear.
with no pawls touching the gear, the gear shud rewind to the stop position.
this is true on all up/down step units.
also, there are switches that get moved by a adjustable peg on the gear.
look this over carefully.
credit units typically got adjusted for about 15 games, before the stop point. which is a switch opening when the peg hits it.
make sure a switch blade did not get on the wrong side of the peg, it will cause this kind of failure.

#3 7 years ago

Hi Dr Of Style,

Thanks for the reply. I see there are two pegs on the clock gear and the gear will travel between the long way around the two pegs when I manually step up/down the coils. From switch opening on one side to the switch on the other I count roughly 32 clicks. Switch blades don't appear bent or to be on the wrong side of one of the pegs on the clock gear.

I can attach photos later on. Right now the unit will travel between blank space on the reel to the number 14 in 32 clicks. Doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps there is something that should be in place before the unit ventures too far into the blank space? Right now it just travels between the two pegs on the clock gear with no other restriction.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from rite_eh:

the gear will travel between the long way around the two pegs

That bothers me.
there should be only 1 step beyond 0...no more. thats the HOME position, and the peg on the frame side of the gear shud be sittin in the cup. I am feeling like the switch peg has gone past the blade, and now resides on the wrong side.
look at those switches again, step it all the way down, and all the way up, and watch both switches

#5 7 years ago

Will do, thanks. When I get home I'll definitely take some pictures as well. I tried operating it inside the short side of the two pegs on the clock gear (as opposed to the long side). The pegs on the clock gear bind against the switch stacks so to me it seems like it does belong on the outside of them. Hopefully photos will make what I am missing more obvious.

#6 7 years ago

Here are some photos.

I am not sure what has been repaired on this machine in the past but I'm wondering if I need to move the posts on the clock gear to change the limits. Please let me know what you think.

Photos 1, 2 and 3 show progression from one limit switch to the other. In photo 1 the wheel shows blank space. In photo 3 it is at 14.

img1 (resized).jpgimg1 (resized).jpg
img2 (resized).jpgimg2 (resized).jpg
img3 (resized).jpgimg3 (resized).jpg

img4 (resized).jpgimg4 (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

Yeah, the switches are workin correctly. look at the pic with the red arrows.
those are the parts that make the gear move. if you lift up on both of them, the gear shud whirl back till it hits its stop point.
thats where the first blank spot on the reel shud appear. and the lone switch shud be open.
it looks like that is happening. if you reset it back to blank in window, and manually push the plunger into the step up coil, does a 1 appear in the window?
also, im confused, is there an actual 0 on that reel? or is it blank below 1?
I wanna be talkin apples to apples here...

pawls1 (resized).jpgpawls1 (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

Hi Dr Of Style,

I do not have a zero on the reel. After 1 it is blank.
I lifted the points you've identified (thank you for the illustration) and the wheel did indeed spin back into the single switch.
At this point my reel is well into the blank space, it doesn't stop right after 1 and clicking the unit up one step still has it in blank space.

Upon closer inspection of the posts on the clock gear, I can see evidence of one of the post holes in the gear having been previously used. The hole has clearly had something threaded into it in the past. Here is my suspicion... I'm wondering if someone previously got one of the posts stuck between the switch bank, and perhaps they figured the way to fix this was by moving one of the posts. If the posts are not set for correctly it would explain why my wheel travels between a large blank area and 14.

I definitely think someone attempted a bush fix and moved a post, not knowing what they were doing. One of the posts was loose compared to the other as well. Now that I know an idiot has messed with it, I clearly can't take anything for granted with this, haha.
I noted where the posts are and tried moving one of the posts (they now positioned oppose to eachother). This allowed the wheel to travel between one blank space up to 18. So it seems to be aligned properly now. However, based on what you've described above I want to confirm that blank and 18 are now in the correct locations. Should the single switch be zero and the bank of two be the high limit? Because I have the opposite (going from memory, will confirm tonight). I can manually advance the credit wheel without clicking the coils in one direction. This will add credits. Is this correct or should it be subtracting them?

#9 7 years ago

you can only advance a step unit manually, not subtract. the gear teeth are angled, like a ratchet, so only grip one way, and click on by in the other.
Double switches open at "0". single opens at max credits, based on the location of the moveable peg.

Quoted from rite_eh:my wheel travels between a large blank area and 14.

that blank area, shud be only one spot, the switch shud stop it from advancing farther. that's where the problem comes in, if you continue to advance past the switch, it will slide past the peg, and get stuck on the wrong side.

Quoted from rite_eh:At this point my reel is well into the blank space, it doesn't stop right after 1 and clicking the unit up one step still has it in blank space.

That's not right. look between the clock gear, and the frame, you shud see a metal cup that a peg hits when the gear returns home. then look at the reel, it may be 180 off??? when the gear is completely reset, and cannot go back any more, "independent of the switches", and the FIRST blank spot is in the window,and the double switches are open, that's home. the other peg is the moveable one, it can be anywhere.

#10 7 years ago

Perfect, thank you for the clarification. I'll take a more detailed look tonight but based on what you've described I think I should be able to correct this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-butterfly-1977-credit-wheel-alignment and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.